Starfield review embargo date is Thursday August 31st at 9AM PT / 12PM ET / 5PM UK.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Because.... I don't game on console...

Around here it's kind of impossible for anything I post to be seen as something which isn't intentionally stirring up shit... unless I completely go out of my way to look at it from the console point of view and speak highly of Playstation.. Think about that for a min and just ask yourself if that MIGHT be true.. If I talk from the Xbox console point of view, I'm hated on as a Xbox fanboy. If I talk about PS games being awesome on PC or brag about getting them or them being best on PC... I'm a PS hater and the people here can't have that.. can they..
PCs are for work, dude.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Hopefully the game is good Bethesda make ambitious and somewhat unique games so of course want to see them to well

Their games have never been for me though especially because of their buginess

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Final Fantasy is extremely popular.. and I believe the RIGHT Final Fantasy game would do massive numbers...
yep. when and if SE fixes their internal bullshit first and then manages to produce and actual game worthy of the Final Fantasy name.
People will know how foolish was to cheering up lesser installments (but this could take like 20 years)

Reactions: Remij

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
yep. when and if SE fixes their internal bullshit first and then manages to produce and actual game worthy of the Final Fantasy name.
People will know how foolish was to cheering up lesser installments (but this could take like 20 years)
FF7 remake was that game and you had people shitting on it because muh childhood

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
is not. that shit is just a cash-grab nostalgia bait with archaic level design.

people don't even know what they are missing due to SE's incompetence.
The level design is literally the original game + a bit of extras. Trust me that's not why the game got hated. People who were hoping for GTA level midgar open world were deluding themselves, that kind of game wouldn't be a remake at all because it'd be impossible to control the narrative pacing.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Muddasar

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
is not. that shit is just a cash-grab nostalgia bait with archaic level design.

people don't even know what they are missing due to SE's incompetence.
To a person that never played any of the other FF games, i thought the FF7 remake was incredible.

So good that i probably put it in my top 5 of best PlayStation games ever.

Am i misunderstanding your remark?>

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Seems like Gene Park is the only person with a review code who has the same gaming sensibilities as myself. More interested in his opinion over whatever score the game gets.
You have the same gaming sensibilities as the guy that gave Halo Infinite a 10/10? 😬😬

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
You have the same gaming sensibilities as the guy that gave Halo Infinite a 10/10? 😬😬
I can see why he did. He likes games that give players a lot of agency and freedom and Halo Infinite's campaign had a lot of that more than any other Halo campaign. Scores don't matter much to me, I like reading or hearing about a reviewer's opinions.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It’s going to be astroturfed more than a football field. Sony is going to have to take it on the chin here this media cycle but just get ready for spider man 2. This holiday they have the marketing for cod, assassins creed, nba 2k, gran blue fantasy for japan and have a 399 dollar slim (I assume) waiting in the wings.

Next year they have ff7 part 2, probably death stranding 2, rise of the ronin, stellar blade, and that’s just what we know about.

Meanwhile Xbox has nothing else to really rally around after starfield. Fable is still years off and hellblade 2 isn’t going to move the needle at all.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Tough times being a Starfield promoter. 35k followers and you're doing it for free :ROFLMAO:.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The level design is literally the original game + a bit of extras. Trust me that's not why the game got hated. People who were hoping for GTA level midgar open world were deluding themselves, that kind of game wouldn't be a remake at all because it'd be impossible to control the narrative pacing.
Look... I alluded to this on NerdoGaf.

FF was one of the three IPs that made me appreciate videogames as an art form (MGS3 and Silent Hill 2 were the other two).

I see FFVII/VIII/IX as a whole, so I will talk interchangeably between them.

Those FF games for the original PlayStation are still so incredibly ambitious; they pushed the medium forward... It was as if Square Soft was so far ahead of everyone else that even the PlayStation hardware was too small for them. This is why they had to use FMV mixed with real-time 3D in some sections of the games. And we could continue discussing each element of the games.

Now....i will not subscribe to the reasons of why other people hate or not FFVII remake or/and each Final Fantasy from Square Enix.
I have MY own reasons.

to address at the points of you made:

"The level design is literally the original game + a bit of extras"

ok. We could talk about level design from a cognitive and even philosophical way. we could argue that it dosen't matter if the level is literally a corridor or a huge wide open area; the player is always engaging in straight lines. (the length of these lines varies).

when you look at those old FF games, they are basically still frames (pre-render backgrounds) with usually one to three options to trigger the next screen.

To circumvent this drawback you had changes in perspective between screens. this introduces visual variety and even visual storytelling (Exteme Long Shots > full shots)

another thing that those old games have is the cleanenless of the screen (No HUD or wave points) and a very heavy reliance on the music to enhance the immersion and mood of the place.

But even with so many limitaions you felt you you were actively exploring the place.

So, FFX, XIII, XIII-2, VII remake and XVI have basically none existent level design; corridors galore with a very obvious repetitive layouts. Add redundant Wave-Points and checklist and you have mindless exploration.

what is an example of superb level design? The Last of Us (especially the first one).

Beach (straight line)
Sewers (L shapes)
Suburbs (S shape)
"boss fight" sniper.(H shape)

It's baffling to see the level design of FFVII Remake/XVI resembling that of the early PS2 era. They feel sterile and artificial.

let's remember how hard was for Japanese devs to transition to the "HD Era" but for Square Enix, this struggle started in the PS2.

which relates to your next point :

"People who were hoping for GTA level midgar open world".

When you look at how FFVII/VIII/IX handled the concept of an 'open world,' you quickly realize how constrained and directed they are. yet, they managed to evoke the sensation of an entire planet within the game—a true globe. I was mind blown while exploring the map with the airship, heading north, and suddenly appearing at the opposite extreme just at the edge of the world map.

this feeling is entirely missing in SE FF games. which is one of the most iconic and memorable moment in any FF.

and this is the main issue with Square-Enix: Bad Management and poor R&D of Technology.

It is due to these issues that they haven't been able to achieve what people expect from a game called Final Fantasy. This is why each installment from Square Enix has been divisive.

To tie this back to the thread: It is widely known that despite the benefits the Creation Engine offers for the type of games Bethesda produces, it is also a significant reason why Bethesda's games are often plagued with bugs, jankiness, visual issues, poor A.I and immersion-breaking loading screen.

Just as many people here use one of two lackluster or missing features to shit on Starfield (which you could see as justified or an exaggeration), like not been able to fly on the planets...the same energy must be kept while defending or criticizing another game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy is extremely popular.. and I believe the RIGHT Final Fantasy game would do massive numbers... but the reality is that an almost DMC-like action FF game with hardly any RPG elements isn't what RPG gamers want. FF7R part 2 will do better, I imagine.

FF12 and FF15 also had non traditional combat but people hate on this for more reasons…. FF16 combat is miles better than FF15

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
A proper Bethesda RPG is far more popular than Final Fantasy.

In general “western” RPGs from CDPR or Bethesda, Diablo and now BG3 are what’s popular with the masses as Final Fantasy keeps underperforming outside of the MMO.

Then again… those games are RPGs. FF16 is not.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Because.... I don't game on console...

Around here it's kind of impossible for anything I post to be seen as something which isn't intentionally stirring up shit... unless I completely go out of my way to look at it from the console point of view and speak highly of Playstation.. Think about that for a min and just ask yourself if that MIGHT be true.. If I talk from the Xbox console point of view, I'm hated on as a Xbox fanboy. If I talk about PS games being awesome on PC or brag about getting them or them being best on PC... I'm a PS hater and the people here can't have that.. can they..
Its the same other places. Every fanbase “has” to be right and wants to argue forever

Reactions: Remij