State of Play, September 24th 2024

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Cali scum still trying to make their so-called "Pacific timezone" a thing. If your conference is at 6 just say its at 6.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Everyone hyped for Ghost of Tsushima 2 but tbh Rise of the Ronin has quenched my thirst for that type of game, and I also doubt SP (as talented as they are) will make game as good as ROTR. Their combat system is 20 steps behind.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I don’t expect any first party games.

SE can always pay to get out of those contracts, particularly if they had other versions of the games in development (in some capacity) while working on the PS versions, just to expediate the eventual porting process. There are always "break-up fees" for these projects.

Also for something like DQ, I doubt Sony went for any exclusivity. DQ is MASSIVE in Japan and Square-Enix would have the most brain-deficient publisher to lock DQ XII down to PS5 for the Japanese market. Even from 2018 onward they should've been able to see how much market share Switch was gaining, and modern DQ games aren't at the scope or visual fidelity of games like VII Rebirth.

I use to disagree with you on Square Enix changing Sony’s exclusive contracts. But this new CEO seems just the kind of person to do such a thing. Looks like he’s being fooled by meetings with Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond coercing him into stopping Sony AAA exclusives.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
SE can always pay to get out of those contracts, particularly if they had other versions of the games in development (in some capacity) while working on the PS versions, just to expediate the eventual porting process. There are always "break-up fees" for these projects.

Also for something like DQ, I doubt Sony went for any exclusivity. DQ is MASSIVE in Japan and Square-Enix would have the most brain-deficient publisher to lock DQ XII down to PS5 for the Japanese market. Even from 2018 onward they should've been able to see how much market share Switch was gaining, and modern DQ games aren't at the scope or visual fidelity of games like VII Rebirth.
DQ12 was revealed 4 years ago. You don't know if Sony hasn't signed a contract beforehand. Also I think Sony wouldn't care about cancelling clauses, because both parties must agree to use them in a case.
DQ12 could legit move the Japanese to buy the PS5. Monster Hunter Wilds is also on the way. I mean it can be timed exclusive and later ported to Switch 2/PC.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I don’t expect any first party games.

I use to disagree with you on Square Enix changing Sony’s exclusive contracts. But this new CEO seems just the kind of person to do such a thing. Looks like he’s being fooled by meetings with Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond coercing him into stopping Sony AAA exclusives.

It's not only Square Enix who has to be disappointed in these deals but Sony too.

I doubt Sony will do many exclusives going forward. They just don't have to and that is part of the reason you see a shift in tone from Square Enix. It's a two-way street.

No one is being fooled by Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond, without money coming from Sony, Square Enix has no recourse but to put these games on other platforms. Any Microsoft has an opportunity to at least get marketing rights.

What's interesting is the state of the relationship between Sony and Square Enix.

On one hand they didn't put any characters in Astro Bot, which suggests a really poor relationship. On the other hand, FF7 Rebirth was used to promote the PS5 Pro. It's possible that Square Enix characters will be highlighted in the free DLC, it's also possible that their relationship is souring as they naturally grow apart.

Reactions: Ico

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If they do a 30th anniversary event with some 1st party reveals
They already announced 30th anniversary hardware, accesories, toys, Spotify playlist or even stuff like My First Gran Turismo and the PS5 Pro.

As I remember Sony hinted a future 30th anniversary event or future info, but there's little more to put there other than game announcements, maybe:
  • Trailers from previously announced games and movie/tv adaptations
  • Wireless PSVR2 announcement
  • More PS1/PS2/PSP Classics games added to the store and PS+
  • 30th Anniversary themed PSN discounts campaign
and what + can entail?
Maybe 1 or 2 minutes more, not 20.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
DQ12 was revealed 4 years ago. You don't know if Sony hasn't signed a contract beforehand. Also I think Sony wouldn't care about cancelling clauses, because both parties must agree to use them in a case.
DQ12 could legit move the Japanese to buy the PS5. Monster Hunter Wilds is also on the way. I mean it can be timed exclusive and later ported to Switch 2/PC.
Bro You really think Sony has the 100s of millions to money hat DQ12 and KH4 when they are currently out there with their begging bowls to collect a few millions with their remasters and pc ports.

If they had money to buy exclusivity then we would not have these desperate until dawn remakes and horizon remasters, their GaaS push has been disastrous and they are billions in the hole.

That shitty TLoU show also will also lose viewers with season 2 and with that their film/tv productions venture is going to fail too.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They already announced 30th anniversary hardware, accesories, toys, Spotify playlist or even stuff like My First Gran Turismo and the PS5 Pro.

As I remember Sony hinted a future 30th anniversary event or future info, but there's little more to put there other than game announcements, maybe:
  • Trailers from previously announced games and movie/tv adaptations
  • Wireless PSVR2 announcement
  • More PS1/PS2/PSP Classics games added to the store and PS+
  • 30th Anniversary themed PSN discounts campaign

You have to understand that there are two Sony's now.

Platform Business Group and Studio Business Group.

You didn't see Herman Hulst AT ALL for any of the 30th anniversary stuff. I doubt that will be the case at the end of things. It is possible you'll see him at this State of Play and they'll do nothing else for the rest of the year which would be disappointing.

If the wireless PSVR2 is real, I don't think we see it until after the holidays. If they heavily discount the PSVR2 again before Christmas, it'll lean to being more likely.

You have to largely separate platform and studio business at this point. They'll collaborate sometimes and obviously both speak on investor calls, but you essentially have two different businesses with two different priorities albeit working in concert and to each others' benefit.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Bro You really think Sony has the 100s of millions to money hat DQ12 and KH4 when they are currently out there with their begging bowls to collect a few millions with their remasters and pc ports.

If they had money to buy exclusivity then we would not have these desperate until dawn remakes and horizon remasters, their GaaS push has been disastrous and they are billions in the hole.

That shitty TLoU show also will also lose viewers with season 2 and with that their film/tv productions venture is going to fail too.
So that's why platforms aren't announced yet for KH4 and DQ12 huh?
It definitely is 💯 possible. I bet one or two of these games will be Sony exclusive.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Prediction. Turn based or action?
Honestly I'd be fine if they made it more similar to FFX and tweak the Trance mechanic so a full meter carry over in between manual. Make it so you can manually activate whenever instead of how the old system worked.

And I'd be fine. I wouldn't wanna see it go action tho.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
gosh i hope so
but
I kinda wish they'd do more with Drakengard itself

after some information they dropped during some of the post credits from the anime im starting to believe that their next game will be with androids and dragons, being nier and drakengard at the same time

they once again highlighted that the androids are using dragons on the night kingdom, the place where is always night etc etc

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
square enix

Jeremy Renner Endgame GIF

Reactions: TrishaCat

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
after some information they dropped during some of the post credits from the anime im starting to believe that their next game will be with androids and dragons, being nier and drakengard at the same time

they once again highlighted that the androids are using dragons on the night kingdom, the place where is always night etc etc
Conceptually this sounds so ace.....
square enix
yup im hopping on the NIER hype train lol. I honestly don't need to see shit else if yoko and team show up

• fire

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

gosh darn it am I going to have to actually watch the Nier Automata anime to keep up with the lore