State of Play, September 24th 2024

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
lmao, i wont give more info than i already did, but its a must watch if you are familiar with the branches concept from drakengard
fjodjofajofjheofjladsfj
fiiiiiiiiiiiiine guess I'll watch the anime too.

Dragons being back is...interesting. I suppose
if humans are dead then Maso and WCS isn't a concern, opening up new magic and tech possibilities?

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
It's not only Square Enix who has to be disappointed in these deals but Sony too.

I doubt Sony will do many exclusives going forward. They just don't have to and that is part of the reason you see a shift in tone from Square Enix. It's a two-way street.

No one is being fooled by Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond, without money coming from Sony, Square Enix has no recourse but to put these games on other platforms. Any Microsoft has an opportunity to at least get marketing rights.

What's interesting is the state of the relationship between Sony and Square Enix.

On one hand they didn't put any characters in Astro Bot, which suggests a really poor relationship. On the other hand, FF7 Rebirth was used to promote the PS5 Pro. It's possible that Square Enix characters will be highlighted in the free DLC, it's also possible that their relationship is souring as they naturally grow apart.

Square Enix is not disappointed and neither is Sony. SE got money, development assistance, and marketing help from Sony. Sony got 2 FF games on exclusives on PS5. Both games sold well. The deal benefited both of them.

It’s this new CEO that came from somewhere else not related to gaming or anything SE (not sure if past presidents were at the company or other game studios but still) and just wants to see numbers go up.

Phil Spencer definitely did something with Square Enix. He made it a point to say he and Sarah Bond met with the new ceo and talked about wanting their games on Xbox. As if the previous SE president wasn’t buying his BS. So let’s try again.

They went to go beg Sega with the same multiplatform talk and look how that turned out.

Do not trust SE anymore.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I trust both Square Enix and Sega, considering they both have a pretty solid output of great games and both companies have promising titles on the horizon.
...Square Enix moreso though.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
after some information they dropped during some of the post credits from the anime im starting to believe that their next game will be with androids and dragons, being nier and drakengard at the same time

they once again highlighted that the androids are using dragons on the night kingdom, the place where is always night etc etc
I'll just say that the recently leaked NieR OST CD (the ones they will sign on the TGS program) contains remixes of Drakengard songs.

• Surprised
Reactions: TrishaCat
24 Jun 2022
Square Enix is not disappointed and neither is Sony. SE got money, development assistance, and marketing help from Sony. Sony got 2 FF games on exclusives on PS5. Both games sold well. The deal benefited both of them.

It’s this new CEO that came from somewhere else not related to gaming or anything SE (not sure if past presidents were at the company or other game studios but still) and just wants to see numbers go up.

Phil Spencer definitely did something with Square Enix. He made it a point to say he and Sarah Bond met with the new ceo and talked about wanting their games on Xbox. As if the previous SE president wasn’t buying his BS. So let’s try again.

They went to go beg Sega with the same multiplatform talk and look how that turned out.

Do not trust SE anymore.

Welp, blame SIE for not being proactive enough.

• Informative
Reactions: On Demand
24 Jun 2022
DQ12 was revealed 4 years ago. You don't know if Sony hasn't signed a contract beforehand. Also I think Sony wouldn't care about cancelling clauses, because both parties must agree to use them in a case.
DQ12 could legit move the Japanese to buy the PS5. Monster Hunter Wilds is also on the way. I mean it can be timed exclusive and later ported to Switch 2/PC.

That bet makes zero sense for SE though. DQ is strongly associated with Nintendo both historically and today, unlike FF where historically it's Nintendo/PlayStation associated but modern day heavily PlayStation associated. The only period where DQ games primarily focused on PS were the PS1 (DQ VII) and PS2 eras. Otherwise they've all been on Nintendo hardware and AFAIK, sell best there.

As big as DQ XII could be in Japan I seriously think where PS5 is at now, its sales would only be hindered by PlayStation in that market if it were an exclusive. That's how bad I think SIE have fumbled the bag in Japan when it comes to PS5 now. So no, I don't expect XII to be a PS5 exclusive and I'm 100% expecting it'll be a PS5/Switch 2 Day 1 release at the very least.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
I'll just say that the recently leaked NieR OST CD (the ones they will sign on the TGS program) contains remixes of Drakengard songs.

hmmmmmmm, if you were to say, nier/drakengard fans should watch the show or have a nice walk outside during it?

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Do not trust SE anymore.
Yeah, It is really weird that 3million copies in 1 week was disappointing for them when the game development was already mostly funded by Sony's money. They didn't need to sell much to make alot of money.