The Astrobot port begging has already begun

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
These are the same people who complained about making a PSN account mandatory.

Yet reckon a mandatory Dualsense requirement will be fine.

Go figure.

I think the ire was more about the fact that Sony tried to force PSN integration on PC players long *after* Helldivers 2 became a hit. They should have just done it up front.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
One can be used offline indefinitely, the other requires connecting to the internet
What Dualsense specific feature does the game need to function? Is it the touchpad?

Everything on the Dualsense. The Haptics, Touchpad, Motion, Speaker and Microphone etc.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Please.

PSN is free and a Dualsense costs 70 dollars.
When I lived with my parents as a child I did not have internet access and would have to visit a McDonalds to mooch off of their free wifi to browse the web and download games.

24 Jun 2022
First, it's amazing how the third place company has so much influence that dictates how other companies, in this case, Sony, a Japanese company operates. Did you ever stop to think that Sony is porting their games elsewhere because they simply want to?

Second, my reply was in regards to that image of someone saying Astro Bot is 6 hours long which would exist regardless of if Microsoft exists or not.

The 3rd-place company with a $3 trillion market cap in Big Tech? That 3rd-place company? The same 3rd-place company that used its $3 trillion market cap to give their failing gaming division $75 billion to purchase one of the biggest 3P in the world?

C'mon peter, you're being disingenuous here and you know it 😏

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I think the ire was more about the fact that Sony tried to force PSN integration on PC players long *after* Helldivers 2 became a hit. They should have just done it up front.

They will be OK with making Dualsense purchase mandatory though right.

• sad
Reactions: anonpuffs

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
When I lived with my parents as a child I did not have internet access and would have to visit a McDonalds to mooch off of their free wifi to browse the web and download games.

Since you want it so badly on your platform.

How about Sony ports Astro’s Playroom?

Charge 50 dollars for the game and make Dualsense mandatory.

Let’s see the response.

Maybe then you can have Astro Bot.

Reactions: Shmunter

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Since you want it so badly on your platform.

How about Sony ports Astro’s Playroom?

Charge 50 dollars for the game and make Dualsense mandatory.

Let’s see the response.

Maybe then you can have Astro Bot.
Are we just ignoring how much more obnoxious and problematic from a play perspective sign ins for singleplayer games are compared to needing a controller?
I don't really understand why a dualsense would be a requirement anyways; the only necessary feature of the dualsense that would not be able to be replicated by other controllers is the touchpad, and the mouse can replicate that. Things like haptic feedback not being usable would not hinder the ability to play, but merely offer a slightly lesser experience.

And for what its worth, I own a PS5 and can already currently play Astro's Playroom as it came with my PS5. No, I would not be interested in spending $50 on a tech demo I can currently play for free. And offline at that!

24 Jun 2022
Are we just ignoring how much more obnoxious and problematic from a play perspective sign ins for singleplayer games are compared to needing a controller?
I don't really understand why a dualsense would be a requirement anyways; the only necessary feature of the dualsense that would not be able to be replicated by other controllers is the touchpad, and the mouse can replicate that. Things like haptic feedback not being usable would not hinder the ability to play, but merely offer a slightly lesser experience.

And for what its worth, I own a PS5 and can already currently play Astro's Playroom as it came with my PS5. No, I would not be interested in spending $50 on a tech demo I can currently play for free. And offline at that!

Then how about $30? You already know the small game (it's more than a tech demo) would get QOL and performance enhancements for the port. Rather than make PS5 owners (you know, the ones who only have a PS5 and no PC or primarily play on PS5 if they have both) wait longer for their games just to make a PC version of the new Astro Bot?

Whether the PC-centric people like it or not, they aren't the valuable customer base in the ecosystem. They never could be; they simply don't spend enough in terms of ARPU to accomplish that. So the idea those who give less to the ecosystem as a customer should lie to themselves unchallenged, pretending they merit being treated the same as the console buyers in that same ecosystem, is just peak tardness.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Then how about $30? You already know the small game (it's more than a tech demo) would get QOL and performance enhancements for the port. Rather than make PS5 owners (you know, the ones who only have a PS5 and no PC or primarily play on PS5 if they have both) wait longer for their games just to make a PC version of the new Astro Bot?
*looks up Astro's Playroom footage since I admittedly never bothered to launch it*
*see someone blow into their controller to make leaves in the way move to enter a cave*
Ohhhhhhh, yeah I shouldn't have called it a tech demo, that was disrespectful on my part, its very clearly more than that and it utilizes a lot of surprisingly niche features of the controller I'm genuinely really impressed. Not just the kinds of stuff you can do in it but it looks like a cute platformer I can't believe I've been sitting on this
For the sake of staying honest I don't know if I'd pay $30 for it since its still outside of my usual tastes; that sounds reasonable and fair though, considering what it is. I think what I should do, is I should launch my PS5 and give it a play and see how I feel about it.
And also yeah now that I've seen that I'm not sure this could be replicated comfortably feature wise; the Dualsense seems integral to the experience!
I'm sorry overall though; it appears I've been misinformed and ignorant to what Astrobot is and what all you can do in it. This is not a typical platformer; it takes heavy advantage of its hardware!

Last edited:
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
One can be used offline indefinitely, the other requires connecting to the internet
What Dualsense specific feature does the game need to function? Is it the touchpad?
we both know that wouldn't fly with the pc audience.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
we both know that wouldn't fly with the pc audience.
...yeah honestly if this game *required* the DualSense on PC, a decent chunk of PC people would flip their shit :/
I've seen people get upset when keyboard and mouse aren't supported on PC games even if a game is really controller centric (see the Steam release for The Alliance Alive for example.)

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Maybe. If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't. Or they just remove the dualsense features from the PC port.

Honestly the entitlement of PC gamers.

Don’t wanna buy a PlayStation console.

Don’t want PSN accounts.

Don’t want Dualsense.

We just want your games and Day 1 please like Playstation gamers cause we are special.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Honestly the entitlement of PC gamers.

Don’t wanna buy a PlayStation console.

Don’t want PSN accounts.

Don’t want Dualsense.

We just want your games and Day 1 please like Playstation gamers cause we are special.
Well Sony agrees with them so...

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
He's not entirely wrong. I don't expect Astro Bot to have big sales figures either. It's currently number 5 in the PSN charts of the best-selling games, and Warhammer isn't officially out yet. It will definitely make a profit, but other small titles with good ratings have already been spurned.

The funny thing now is the people who want to see it on PC and Xbox, where the target audience is even smaller. PC gamers have also almost ignored Sackboy and Ratchet and Clank. As far as I'm concerned, Sony can ignore the PC completely, as it's mostly just aloof and ungrateful idiots. Instead, Sony should bring the titles out for the Switch successor after 1-2 years. Although I do think that Astro Bot can achieve good figures there, but not as good as the Mario games. Astro Bot has a lot of bots from third-party titles, but most of them are Playstation history.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023