The Doomers and Gloomers, Sony is dying thread.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I agree they can sells themed products but that is not marketing.
These are products based in the IP... these products doesn't increase the game sales but instead it is another way to monetize using the IP success.

Now more ads I don't think it should help Helldivers 2 at all.
It will be a money lose with low impact in the sales.
the point is that they could've monetized from and marketed the game to become bigger, since they own the IP, it's better to have Helldivers 2 associated with your console than Call Of Duty for example, they used to invest millions in an Activision IP, why couldn't they do it for their own flagship multiplayer title? this is the question and this is the problem, they appear to have no trust in their own IPs, they want to be associated with third party stuff all the time and it's dangerous to relly on it, we saw it in the last few years, so why lose the opportunity to turn Helldivers in the next "Call Of Duty"?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
the point is that they could've monetized from and marketed the game to become bigger, since they own the IP, it's better to have Helldivers 2 associated with your console than Call Of Duty for example, they used to invest millions in an Activision IP, why couldn't they do it for their own flagship multiplayer title? this is the question and this is the problem, they appear to have no trust in their own IPs, they want to be associated with third party stuff all the time and it's dangerous to relly on it, we saw it in the last few years, so why lose the opportunity to turn Helldivers in the next "Call Of Duty"?
You are making too many assumptions lol
Helldivers the next "Call of Duty"? They are not even in the same genre lol

Most times you read these assumptions about some loved game... most certain that they will not happen like you wished.

I don't have data to counter you but you don't have data to prove your assumptions are good too.
But I'm sure Sony had way more data to backup if something like you wish could be possible or not...

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
yeah, ignore completely the poor leadership choices that'll end up in the closure of the studio who made the game, all the matters is the game, which will probably cease server support after 3 years
Poor leadership how? Recognizing talented developers and buying them? The game is great and I enjoyed my time with it. The only poor leadership was how they debuted the game and some weird aesthetic choices and allowing the hate to simmer for over a month between debut and the beta. They made a great game that's unfortunately not able to over the come usual smear campaign almost every PS exclusives gets...

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You are making too many assumptions lol

Helldivers the next "Call of Duty"? They are not even in the same genre lol
Helldivers 2, i need to remember, bothered even executives at MS, they were crying for not having it on Xbox, the whole Xbox player base started a petition for it to receive a port, this was the PERFECT game to market across all North America with constant ads, having PS5 console bundles with Helldivers on every possible market/store to capture even more of Xbox's marketshare and bring them to PlayStation 5, further weakening the already dying competitor, imagine not investing in that...

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Even when Sony wins, they lose.

House Party Dancing GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Poor leadership how? Recognizing talented developers and buying them? The game is great and I enjoyed my time with it. The only poor leadership was how they debuted the game and some weird aesthetic choices and allowing the hate to simmer for over a month between debut and the beta. They made a great game that's unfortunately not able to over the come usual smear campaign almost every PS exclusives gets...
buying a studio without even seeing the performance of the game... specially a live service game studio, yeah, amazing leadership choice

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
lord i hate blind people
The game is the best selling one of the year and the best selling game in North America.... I mean what more should they do? it's gonna end the year with over 15+ million in sales lmao... please stop.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
buying a studio without even seeing the performance of the game... specially a live service game studio, yeah, amazing leadership choice
Yes because at the time MS was buying up everything and Sony was clearly impressed by the game to want it in house?

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
imagine if Sony had purchased Lucid Games in the trust of Destruction AllStars being a success... that's what y'all are defending here, and i hope i'm wrong, but the very same situation seems likely to happen to Haven and FairGame$ (again, i hope i'm wrong)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Helldivers 2, i need to remember, bothered even executives at MS, they were crying for not having it on Xbox, the whole Xbox player base started a petition for it to receive a port, this was the PERFECT game to market across all North America with constant ads to capture even more of Xbox's marketshare and bring them to PlayStation 5, further weakening the already dying competitor, imagine not investing in that...
Who care about what Xbox dudes wants lol
They live in a dream without even know what to do with their own platform.
Of course they are jealous of Helldivers 2 success... when was the last time Xbox launched something worth to play? They killed even their more stabilished franchises 🤷‍♂️

BTW even Nintendo, EA, Take 2, Valve, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc wanted to have Helldivers 2... let's not talk about Microsoft only.

But the fact is... Sony hit a winner with a paid GaaS game (something you guys said it is impossible because everything needs to be F2P nowdays).

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Yes because at the time MS was buying up everything and Sony was clearly impressed by the game to want it in house?
MS was stuck in that ABK acquisition for 2 years, Sony acquired Firewalk in 2023, while in the middle of the court trial, it was a clear panic reaction, and that's what i HATE about modern playstation, they panic react to almost everything MS makes despite them being in third place and about to implode from inside out

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
MS was stuck in that ABK acquisition for 2 years, Sony acquired Firewalk in 2023, while in the middle of the court trial, it was a clear panic reaction, and that's what i HATE about modern playstation, they panic react to almost everything MS makes despite them being in third place and about to implode from inside out
Sony already invested in FireWalk from 2018.... so what now? they helped to build the studio up

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
imagine if Sony had purchased Lucid Games in the trust of Destruction AllStars being a success... that's what y'all are defending here, and i hope i'm wrong, but the very same situation seems likely to happen to Haven and FairGame$ (again, i hope i'm wrong)
Live Services games are a hit and miss... you release several miss to have a single hit.
But that single hit compensate all the misses.

That is not specific to Sony.

Reactions: Muddasar

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Who care about what Xbox dudes wants lol
They live in a dream without even know what to do with their own platform.
Of course they are jealous of Helldivers 2 success... when was the last time Xbox launched something worth to play? They killed even their more stabilished franchises 🤷‍♂️

BTW even Nintendo, EA, Take 2, Valve, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc wanted to have Helldivers 2... let's not talk about Microsoft only.

But the fact is... Sony hit a winner with a paid GaaS game (something you guys said it is impossible because everything needs to be F2P nowdays).
i NEVER said it was impossible for them to hit with a paid GaaS game, in fact, i was a true believer of Factions MP to be the mature version of Fortnite with a big audience across console and PC, i play 2013 Factions MP to this day and i know the quality it has

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Live Services games are a hit and miss... you release several miss to have a single hit.
But that single hit compensate all the misses.

That is not specific to Sony.
but Sony has a history of closing studios after failling projects, then if they close Firewalk and Haven... will you admit it was a poor leadership choice to acquire them in the first place?

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
shows how lost they are and how little they know about their own audience, Helldivers 2 was released with server limitations, they had no faith in the commercial success of that title, but they had absolute expectations for Concord, the level of investment already shows... still, you'll see people here saying the people in charge of this brand knows exactly what they're doing, but the question is, do they?
53878104636_d3d02dbfd7_b.jpg
Yes, one studio is first party. The other is second party. Even if many people don't like the characters in Concord, it makes more sense to use this kind of marketing.

The characters in Helldivers 2 are just soldiers in armor with no background. In the final version of Concord, there will be a mode that deals entirely with the history of the universe, the planets, the crew, etc. The developers put more effort into making several games or a TV series out of it. Sony also knew how successful Helldivers 1 was and obviously didn't expect the sequel to be so successful.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
but Sony has a history of closing studios after failling projects, then if they close Firewalk and Haven... will you admit it was a poor leadership choice to acquire them in the first place?
How many studios Sony closed in the last decade?

I mean in the last 5 years they closed London Studio... that got closed because PSVR2 failed not because the studio itself... in any case their last games was in 2019.
And you can say Japan Studio that was not closed but restructured (contractor didn't renovate but Sony own employees keep working) that happens in companies.

Close of studios is less frequent on Sony than you make it looks.

In near 30 years of PlayStation Sony closed like 10 studios? At same time how many of them they acquired? Because PlayStation always grow in number of studios.

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
We knew this would happen, live-service with Helldivers 2 would be a massive failure, I mean Bungie was a mistake; Final Shape going to bomb.
Oh my god they made a sticker on a controller and animation of 2 mins for Concord. It's over for Sony!! Time to buy a Fire stick.
e5d7d6f73b605e2de95f9685d9aa8967.jpg

• party
  • fire
Reactions: Sircaw and ethomaz