The Doomers and Gloomers, Sony is dying thread.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
images

This guy is going to destroy the Playstation brand if he stays.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Guy is a no nonsense spreadsheet executive to the T, Sometimes they are needed but in case of entertainment sector like playstation it is questionable at best although if this results in some house cleaning and opening up of studios in cheaper places I would take that trade off
Yeah I just hope he moves along in 2-3 years

Reactions: Diah

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
if you take into consideration that the next generation always doubles the power of the mid tier gen version of consoles, example:

PS4 Pro 4.3 teraflops, PS5 10.3 teraflops
ps5-ps4-pro-side-by-side-blue-background.jpg

it's pretty safe to say that PS6 will be released with more than 60 teraflops (considering PS5 Pro has 33 - 36 teraflops of GPU power), PS6 might possibly surpass 70 teraflops, will have increases in RAM too like every gen, probably to 32GB to give developers a lot of room to work on games, just like PS5 doubled the RAM of the PS4 (8GB to 16GB) and an AMD Zen 6 or 7 processor, the good part is that we'll never have to play at 30fps in any game...
4364770-screenshot2024-09-10at11.10.35am.png

this is the reason why i'm daily concerned about the future of PlayStation, as someone who loves the platform, i don't think consoles will survive with $700/$800 + prices, fear is that a lot of people will migrate to PC because Sony is putting everything there for cheaper, not requiring a Plus subscription for online gaming...

Reactions: Diah and toadsage44

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
If you are poor we have a product for you, this is called PS1.
who knows what happens in 4 years, but i feel like these prices are gonna bring more people to Cloud Gaming and PC, specially with Cloud Gaming getting better and better with Internet speeds getting higher, in 2013 no one would ever imagine having 1GB of Internet at home and now even rural areas have support for it, in 10 years at the beggining of the PS7 gen or end of the PS6 gen, i think Cloud Gaming will be at a place where anyone will be able to use

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
With AI upscaling, they won't need as much GPU power to accomplish the gains they're looking for. So the formula you're working off of is a bit misleading.

I do think they'll start pushing more people towards cloud gaming who can't afford conventional next gen products.

I think the PS5 family will be able to play PS6 games via cloud, which is to include the PS handheld and the Portal.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
This story has broken some brains.

PS5 is selling great. 0 chance PlayStation would risk that by upping the price by 200 dollars lol.

Come on OP, what are we doing?

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
With AI upscaling, they won't need as much GPU power to accomplish the gains they're looking for. So the formula you're working off of is a bit misleading.

I do think they'll start pushing more people towards cloud gaming who can't afford conventional next gen products.

I think the PS5 family will be able to play PS6 games via cloud, which is to include the PS handheld and the Portal.
PlayStation Cloud technology is miles ahead of Xbox Cloud Gaming, it's very close to Nvidia, so i do think they'll push more people to Cloud with these prices, but how will this work essentially? will they charge $70 or $80 (by next gen) for the right to stream a game like Stadia used to do and how NVidia GeForce Now works? Sony will have to invest billions and billions in datacenters in big countries like Brazil and Australia, PS Plus Premium is still not avaliable, they have a variant called PS Plus Deluxe with everything the Premium tier has minus the Cloud funcionality (no PS3 games for us brazilians), so at the same time it'll bring more access to people who can't afford a $700/$800 console... it'll cost Sony a lot of money to implement it in high level (PCs, Mobile, Smart TVs and etc)

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That's a extremely small series of data points to extrapolate. I don't see the PS5 or Series X getting obsolete anytime soon. There is no significant bottleneck in these consoles. Last generation consoles with anemic jaguar cores, 7850/7870 like GPU and 5400rpm HDD brought games like:

God of war
Last of us 2
Horizon forbidden west
Gears 5
Forza Horizon 5
Metro Exodus
FFVII Remake
Doom Eternal

Big MMOs, massive player counts in FPS with huge maps... and many more.

Of course if it were up to developers we would need a 7800X3D and a 4090 to run Tetris. But they need to get the most out of the hardware at their disposal. Take into account what the user wants instead of wanking to raytraced ass cracks.

There is no more low hanging fruit in hardware so they should accommodate and don't demand new hardware for a long while. Because make no mistake, developers are the ones that push for hardware. The end user wants more games.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
That's a extremely small series of data points to extrapolate. I don't see the PS5 or Series X getting obsolete anytime soon. There is no significant bottleneck in these consoles. Last generation consoles with anemic jaguar cores, 7850/7870 like GPU and 5400rpm HDD brought games like:

God of war
Last of us 2
Horizon forbidden west
Gears 5
Forza Horizon 5
Metro Exodus
FFVII Remake
Doom Eternal

Big MMOs, massive player counts in FPS with huge maps... and many more.

Of course if it were up to developers we would need a 7800X3D and a 4090 to run Tetris. But they need to get the most out of their HW. Take into account what the user wants instead of wanking to raytraced ass cracks.

There is no more low hanging fruit in hardware.
more people will stay on PS5 with these kind of prices for a PS6, just like a lot of people are sticking with PS4 right now... and PS4 is a dinoussaur with that HDD and that Jaguar processor

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
have you seen the reactions for the $700 price of the PS5 Pro?
yeah, i looked at a mirror, i was happy what i saw.

sorry, not a cry baby. it is a premium console. if you want one, you get one.

do you cried when LG announced G3 prices over C3? have you been entitled to lower price for higher valued items?

the whole market is divided by price point sectors. low, medium, high. the market worked like that for decades.

and please, spear me the reactions nonsense, we know who is orchestrating it.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
yeah, i looked at a mirror, i was happy what i saw.

sorry, not a cry baby. it is a premium console. if you want one, you get one.

do you cried when LG announced G3 prices over C3? have you been entitled to lower price for higher valued items?

the whole market is divided by price point sectors. low, medium, high. the market worked like that for decades.

and please, spear me the reactions nonsense, we know who is orchestrating it.
i'm not a cry baby either, i know the price for the PS5 Pro is correct, all i'm saying is that the casual market will be way more reluctant to spend $700/$800 on a console, that's all

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why was it moved to doom and gloom,thought it was an interesting discussion. And it goes beyond Sony or consoles.

If it took 11 years for 8th generation consoles to finally be phased out (I honestly think they will be around for another year or 2) How long will that take for PS5 and series X?

Hell I don't think we even have the hardware for a ps6 or SerieXXX console yet. At least HW that would show a generational leap. We need that HW to get to PC first, then lower cost and thermal envelope for it to be feasible for a console.

I don't think it's even possible to define a price yet.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Why was it moved to doom and gloom,thought it was an interesting discussion. And it goes beyond Sony or consoles.

If it took 11 years for 8th generation consoles to finally be phased out (I honestly think they will be around for another year or 2) How long will that take for PS5 and series X?

Hell I don't think we even have the hardware for a ps6 or SerieXXX console yet. At least HW that would show a generational leap. We need that HW to get to PC first, then lower cost and thermal envelope for it to be feasible for a console.

I don't think it's even possible to define a price yet.
the funniest part is that i agree with the $700 price, i don't want Consoles to be limited, i want them to follow PC in power, but my thread was about the casual audience specifically, it's gonna be hard to justify a $700 PS6 for casuals to play FIFA, COD and etc when it's already gonna be avaliable on their PS5s

Reactions: toadsage44

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Personally, im expecting the next generation Xbox console and PlayStation 6 to be $800 and both having a Portable handheld system for $500.