The Game Awards analysis and the “Xbox Tax”

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
During my morning coffee/ Twitter scroll, I came across a good post analysing the perceived bias against Xbox at the Game Awards. Of course it’s nonsense, but this poster has done the homework proving it as such….

Text incase Twitter doesn’t load….

Wanted to speak on this "Xbox Tax" conversation over #Starfield not getting a GOTY nomination.

It's true GOTY nominations don't necessarily correlate to metacritic scoring, and there are definitely genre skews where certain genres of games are far more likely to be nominated than others (narrative heavy games with emotional resonance tend to impact more).

That's not a platform thing, but a genre one, and often shared by users too.

One game can also have a higher meta average than another, despite fewer outlets scoring it as highly, due to it having less negative outlier reviews.

In that sense, more than the meta average itself, it's the number of outlets among the voting jury that truly loved a game and thus scored it very high, that can make a difference.

Starfield on Metacritic across all platforms, has 19 perfect scores out of 168 reviews. Every other game that got nominated for Game of the Year, has far more.

Even Alan Wake 2, the game with the fewest perfect scores among the nominee's, has 42% more perfect scores than Starfield, despite 40 fewer reviews overall. Alan Wake 2 also has 10 more 90 and above scores, despite far fewer total reviews. So more outlets, including among the voting jury, truly loved it.

This isn't just a critic only thing either, if you look at user reviews of Starfield where there has to be a confirmed purchase, on Steam it has 7/10 average and on Xbox 3.4/5 average. So contrary to what some of the Xbox fandom believes, the overall reception just hasn't been super strong even among users, despite some loving it.

I heard @Septic_Sauce on his livestream discussing this topic, and he brought up Gears 5 vs Death Stranding in 2019, which is a great example of a point I made above.

Gears 5 has an ever so slightly higher meta than DS (by 2 points), but the make up of that average is very different. Death Stranding was a marmite title, where some truly loved it and others hated it, hence many super low scores brought down the average.

Look at the number of perfect scores for each game (PC+Xbox for Gears 5, and PS4 only for DS, as PC release wasn't out at the time);

Death Stranding - 21
Gears 5 - 6

Even though Gears 5 had a higher meta average, FAR fewer outlets found it truly stand out, hence there was always a strong chance it wouldn't get nominated for GOTY vs DS or other titles that year.

Ultimately, no, I don't think there is any Xbox Tax, it's simply that far fewer outlets adored the Xbox first party titles as much as other picks, as also reflected in critic reception in volume of highest scores.

And since this year in particular has far more quantity of quality, Starfield (or Hi-Fi Rush) just came short, not because of any tax ot bias. Other years they'd likely have been in the running.

I also think Starfield specifically, didn't quite match its hype, and that it is a solid but quite flawed and in places somewhat archaic title, that perhaps some of the Xbox fandom are championing beyond its actual merit. #TheGameAwards

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
If games like Starfield were to get a GoTY, the entire award system would need to be scrapped.

The game was simply not good enough when it was released,

I have even stated several times that Diablo4 should not get an entry and i have like 400 hours in that game.

Only the best.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It was always going to be impossible to make everyone happy, it was a great year for games and there are just 6 positions in GOTY category.

The issue isn't that Starfield isn't a great game or had many people that enjoyed it, the competition was just too high this year and the anger is not just a result of this but the past 10 years compounding that and Xbox fans interpreting it as unfairness when it was just how it all played out.

For many years Xbox didn't care to invest in studios and then they went wild with investment but that doesn't guarantee immediate success. It just doesn't work like that.

Numero

29 Jul 2023
Starfield is an RPG and unluckily for Bethesda this year Larian released one of the best RPGs in history just a month earlier (for PC, and the same week on PS5). Simple as that. BG3 stole their lunch and they have to deal with it.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75 and Diah

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I remember this name... is he a big Xbox fanboy, no?

Anyway... nothing in Starfield feels GOTY.
It is a rushed game with several flaws including things that previous Bethesda games didn't have.

I mean who in common sense should choose Starfield as GOTY?
Why not go rant to Microsoft and Uncle Phil to invest more in making quality games that can end winning GOTY awards?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Imagine what SF would have been if it still came out last year? Uffff
It didn't come last year because MS was afraid of what happened with Halo Infinite when they showed it.
At least they learn the hard way to give more time to make games.
But still it was a rushed release.
Like well Forza Motorsport 8.

BTW Forza basically is not even talked in any place anymore.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Death Stranding with 82 metascore and only selling around 3 million units on PS4 getting many nominations and awards during The Video Game Award back then is certainly a question that should be asked.

Looking back on 2019, it has a lot of parallels to this year in terms of nominations.

RE2 Remake - RE4 Remake
Control - Alan Wake 2
Sekiro - Armored Core 6 (Didn't make the cut)
Outer Worlds - Starfield

Sekiro actually won at the TGA's that year though.... I loved both and I was a big fan of Control too that year.

I still think this year is much stronger overall though.

Reactions: Diah

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Slowly these bots will realise that GOTY and Gamepass fodder are opposite ends of the spectrum

Expecting an Xbox GOTY is like expecting an Academy Award from Peacock

It's the entitlement that is hilarious. Rather than wanting the best games, they accept trash because it's cheap and still expect recognition that is unearned

Nobody on the PlayStation side complained a couple years ago when Returnal was snubbed. Because we know the difference between GOTY quality and a good game that is just good without being GOTY caliber

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
In regards to Starfield, Bethesda has been cutting and cutting and cutting since Daggerfall and not bothered to fix the "jank" associated with their games. Now they're in trouble, they spent seven years on a game only to find out that they had cut too deep, failed to adequately polish their product and ultimately did less to satisfy player wants than the Larian team did. The dueling release dates might have been bad luck but contrast was stark and I hope painful. It seems like TES6 might be further along than people expect and I can only hope that there's still time to learn from this mess and course correct.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It's wild that these Xbox guys hate the games media and PlayStation so much, but yet constantly seek validation from them. They want the games media to constantly praise everything Xbox does and score all their games super high (which they think happens for PlayStation even though it doesn't) and they also want PlayStation to copy Xbox's strategy, thus validating Xbox's choices and implying that they're superior in the process.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Death Stranding with 82 metascore and only selling around 3 million units on PS4 getting many nominations and awards during The Video Game Award back then is certainly a question that should be asked.
Metacritic has nothing to do with getting nominated it's voted by a committee and let's be real Death Stranding metacritic score definitely was done dirty just like Ghost of Tsushima and Returnal.

Death Stranding still was loved by many even if Some outlets couldn't grasp its genius.

Starfield is just a mediocre game and that metacritic score is signal boosted by many shilled sites.

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
Metacritic has nothing to do with getting nominated it's voted by a committee and let's be real Death Stranding metacritic score definitely was done dirty just like Ghost of Tsushima and Returnal.

Death Stranding still was loved by many even if Some outlets couldn't grasp its genius.

Starfield is just a mediocre game and that metacritic score is signal boosted by many shilled sites.
Death Stranding was outsold and outscored by Luigi's Mansion 3 but thr blind panels at TGA were paid by Geoff to vote for DS instead of LM3.

LM3 - 13 million units(Most copies were sold at full price)

DS - 5 million units(PC/PS4 - Most were sold at discounted price)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
lmao no. the reason why Death Stranding got an 82 was because it was divisive, not because it was mid. Some people absolutely despised it, but many people loved it and thought it was an incredible masterpiece. It also had groundbreaking new gameplay for an AAA game, had flawless presentation, and had enough depth an intrigue to the story to keep people captivated.

Starfield is just mid, its writing is mid, the story is pedestrian af, its gameplay systems are mid, and outside of xbox fansites no one thinks it's particularly interesting even if it's not outright bad.

The thing is that the people who thought Death Stranding was an incredible groundbreaking masterpiece voted for it, while the haters voted for something else. No one was interested in Starfield enough this year to vote for it over the other 6. In fact it'd probably still get left out if the roster was expanded to 8.