The GoWR, TLOU2, and GoT, megathread! The soup of PS 1st Party goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13

Simultaneously release on PC makes no business sense… you will just lose revenue doing that.

The creator of the biggest game in the industry knows that better than anybody else.
I can see that logic and I'm not saying that things will be day 1. However I am saying a 1yr gap is the maximum I can see them waiting before PC release. Not years.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I can see that logic and I'm not saying that things will be day 1. However I am saying a 1yr gap is the maximum I can see them waiting before PC release. Not years.
We agree here.
The gap is 2 years right now but I can see it decreasing.

The closest PS to PC release was Miles Morales and it will be 2 years.
Sony is testing new waters.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
All I can say is my source told me that they had to begin the refactoring process for their game engine to support the PC. That was at ND. And it was not done and put on a shelf to wait for all the sales to disappear for the PS4 before introducing a finished PC port. That is completely false. They do not put a game on the shelf and wait for sales to diminish before putting the ported game out.
Seems that your source doesn't know that code refactoring is to rename the name of the variables, which doesn't affect the functionality of the code and has nothing to do with adding support of a new platform in a game engine, which I assume it's what you mean.

You don't need to have an uncle who works at Nintendo to know there are two old ND games going to be released on PC plus a new one. These ports are publicly announced. And make sure that more will follow in the future. Obviously to port games they'll add PC support, and once done they'll keep some stuff in the engine for future ports to ease future ports. You also don't need to have an uncle working at Nintendo to know that they published this job offer in 2020: https://www.vg247.com/last-us-part-2-job-listing-pc-ps4

And no, before in 2013 when they were developing TLOU1, or before 2016 when developing Uncharted 4 or before 2017 when developing Uncharted Lost Legacy they made the games without considerin PC ports because back then Sony didn't have decided to start porting games to PC. But before 2019 when Jim Ryan became CEO, Shawn Layden and his gang already decided the PC ports strategy. So even if the game team was focused on making TLOU2 for PS4, their engine team already was adapting engine stuff to help with PC ports, or was going to start soon. 2 years later where is the TLOU2 PC port? Waiting in the shelf. Their strategy is to release TLOU1 remake first in PS5, then half a year or more later its PC port, and I assume soon after they'll release the port TLOU2 too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Seems that your source doesn't know that cod refactoring is the name of the variables, which doesn't affect the functionality of the code and has nothing to do with adding support of a new platform in a game engine, which I assume it's what you mean.

You don't need to have an uncle who works at Nintendo to know there are two old ND games going to be released on PC plus a new one. These ports are publicly announced. And make sure that more will follow in the future. Obviously to port games they'll add PC support, and once done they'll keep some stuff in the engine for future ports to ease future ports. You also don't need to have an uncle working at Nintendo to know that they published this job offer in 2020: https://www.vg247.com/last-us-part-2-job-listing-pc-ps4

And no, before in 2013 when they were developing TLOU1, or before 2016 when developing Uncharted 4 or before 2017 when developing Uncharted Lost Legacy they made the games without considerin PC ports because back then Sony didn't have decided to start porting games to PC. But before 2019 when Jim Ryan became CEO, Shawn Layden and his gang already decided the PC ports strategy. So even if the game team was focused on making TLOU2 for PS4, their engine team already was adapting engine stuff to help with PC ports, or was going to start soon. 2 years later where is the TLOU2 PC port? Waiting in the shelf. Their strategy is to release TLOU1 remake first in PS5, then half a year or more later its PC port, and I assume soon after they'll release the port TLOU2 too.
This.
I believe Sony will take it own pace to release PC ports and it is not linked to how fast or how many PC ports they already have internally.

D

Deleted member 13

Seems that your source doesn't know that cod refactoring is the name of the variables, which doesn't affect the functionality of the code and has nothing to do with adding support of a new platform in a game engine, which I assume it's what you mean.
I know what code refactoring is though. I knew about the ports before the PS5 was even released. Trust me, I have an inside source that gave me that information. When I asked when the PC version was coming he specifically said the ICE team had a lot to do in order to change their graphics engine to support the PC and gave me at least a year timeframe. He gave me other specifics that doesn't need to be posted here.

And no, before in 2013 when they were developing TLOU1, or before 2016 when developing Uncharted 4 or before 2017 when developing Uncharted Lost Legacy they made the games without considerin PC ports because back then Sony didn't have decided to start porting games to PC.
Right.

But before 2019 when Jim Ryan became CEO, Shawn Layden and his gang already decided the PC ports strategy. So even if the game team was focused on making TLOU2 for PS4, their engine team already was adapting engine stuff to help with PC ports, or was going to start soon.
Yes, and they just aren't finished. Period. You can't prove they are done and have the game sitting on the shelf.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I don't believe these ports are finished and sitting on the shelves. I also think that even if they were, it would be no more than a year max for release. NOT "years" as you think.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Thats good.

I would hate for there to be one clear GOTY winner release within the first two months of the year. Bring on the battle of the titans

giphy.gif
Yeah but elden ring already came out awhile ago and already got enough exposures/times for many gamers, journalist, media to finish the game, garner/collect information and form their own reviews/opinions and grows plenty of positive reaction....

With gow ragnarok coming in november 9 and voting closed somewhere in November 19 2022...thats quite a narrow window for many people and media to get their hands on and complete the game....

But hey who knows finger crossed thats more than enough/sufficient time to be a winner

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah but elden ring already came out awhile ago and already got enough exposures/times for many gamers, journalist, media to finish the game, garner/collect information and form their own reviews/opinions and grows plenty of positive reaction....

With gow ragnarok coming in november 9 and voting closed somewhere in November 19 2022...thats quite a narrow window for many people and media to get their hands on and complete the game....

But hey who knows finger crossed thats more than enough/sufficient time to be a winner

Its a double edged sword, while people all had time to discuss how much they love elden ring they’ve had enough time to discuss its faults also. I’ve already seen a lot of people point out the weaker third act and how bloodborne, sekiro or one of the souls games are still their favorite. People have been nitpicking elden ring for months or just straight up bounced off it and forgot about it due to difficulty.

It will be almost a year since elden ring came out by the time the game awards premiere, recency bias is in god of wars favor. if they stick the landing with the story and beef up the variety in gameplay it has a very good shot at winning. And w’ere only talking about the Keighly’s im pretty sure no matter what Ragnarok will win good amount of GOTY along with other awards throughout the award season.

Ragnarok will have clear strengths over elden ring, technical performance, graphical, writing and story and depending on who’s playing gameplay is far more accessible and will be more fun. Accessibility in general will be a major factor with god of war, even people who aren’t playing it are gonna sit and watch it like its end game.

And media will most likely have their hands on it long before November

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I know what code refactoring is though.
For some weird reason I wrote the sentence with some typo and some missing word, maybe I was sleepy. I meant "code refactoring is to rename the name of the variables" but luckily you undestood me.

You can't prove they are done and have the game sitting on the shelf.
True. But I can't prove they said that they won't release more PC stuff this fiscal year, that they don't have plans for PS5+PC releases, that they specified to their investors that aren't PS5+PC games for this FY and the FY that ends in 2026, that multiple times they said they will focus as their core business the consoles and that they were going to expreriment different timings between the original PS release and PC port releases and that until now the closest one is around 2 years.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I don't believe these ports are finished and sitting on the shelves. I also think that even if they were, it would be no more than a year max for release. NOT "years" as you think.
I didn't mean that is the ports are done and sitting on the shelves. I mean that big companies like Sony have a roadmap calendar of releases organized strategically -in their case also considering not only their own 1st+2nd party releases and their direct competition or estimated finantial results for each quarter but also the 3rd party exclusives and key multiplatform releases for their platform-, and that sometimes some products are ready to be shipped but they have a later release date set because of that roadmap strategy. These release roadmaps typically are 5-10 years long but are more detailed in the short term.

In the case of Sony you can see this in things like when I think it was their CFO announced a record investment for 2nd party games for back then, at the start of PS5, to be released during the next 7 years. That meant they had signed and planned 2nd party games for the whole generation. Or when they shown a graph where they shown the number of games they had planned for this FY and the one that ends in 2026 split per platform or platform groups. Over time there might be changes (specially for long term) like some game getting delayed or cancelled but they have their stuff planned for the long term. In the case of PC ports they had no PS5+PC release and had planned 2 PC ports for this FY and I think it was 7 for the FY that ends in 2026.

And same goes with marketing, they also have long (and short) term roadmap calendars. Here in recent years things aren't that strict and are more flexible due to things like covid making development times even harder to predict plus also chips shortages also being somewhat less predictable when and how many consoles they will be able to sell in a period, and also mixed with them relying way less on big events like E3 or in the gaming media. Now with their own media channels (in the case of Sony their social media, youtube channel, PS Blog and PSN store featurings) they have more freedom to announce their stuff when it's ready, something it's also good for them to help reduce crunch. But still, they have a marketing roadmap where they have set up a calendar of big and small news and announcements.

These roadmaps and calendars aren't written in stone, and constantly they get updated and changed, specially the short term part. But in many cases they have stuff ready to be shown, announced or released but they have it in their roadmap set for later: sometimes to group some announcements in certain event, or to fill some part of the year without nice news and announcements to ensure they have good stream of stuff announced across the year for the different demographics/player groups they cover.

Same goes with releases: they spread their releases across the year considering their 1st and 2nd party games but also 3rd party exclusives, multiplatform games with marketing deals, their relevant hardware/accesories/services releases but also considering their direct competition. They do that also considering their estimations in terms of costs and revenue for each quarter and fiscal year, in addition to the availability of a few devs of their team who may help with the ports with whatever (most likely external) team who will handle the port so they plan and do stuff well in advance.

The amount of work required to develop an AAA game grows every generation, they get bigger, more detailed, with more features and require more time. This means that external outsourcing suport teams get more busy and it's harder to find one of them free to help in your new AAA when your roapmap needs them. This is why companies like Sony bought (and pretty likely will buy more in the future) some of them, for porting or for other tasks, and also grow their own existing internal teams: to rely less on external outsourcing, in addition to be able to release more games and faster to avoid or reduce cases where they have to put something on hold because have to wait until certain partner gets free from other project to be able to work on theirs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

For some weird reason I wrote the sentence with some typo and some missing word, maybe I was sleepy. I meant "code refactoring is to rename the name of the variables" but luckily you undestood me.

True. But I can't prove they said that they won't release more PC stuff this fiscal year, that they don't have plans for PS5+PC releases, that they specified to their investors that aren't PS5+PC games for this FY and the FY that ends in 2026, that multiple times they said they will focus as their core business the consoles and that they were going to expreriment different timings between the original PS release and PC port releases and that until now the closest one is around 2 years.

I didn't mean that is the ports are done and sitting on the shelves. I mean that big companies like Sony have a roadmap calendar of releases organized strategically -in their case also considering not only their own 1st+2nd party releases and their direct competition or estimated finantial results for each quarter but also the 3rd party exclusives and key multiplatform releases for their platform-, and that sometimes some products are ready to be shipped but they have a later release date set because of that roadmap strategy. These release roadmaps typically are 5-10 years long but are more detailed in the short term.

In the case of Sony you can see this in things like when I think it was their CFO announced a record investment for 2nd party games for back then, at the start of PS5, to be released during the next 7 years. That meant they had signed and planned 2nd party games for the whole generation. Or when they shown a graph where they shown the number of games they had planned for this FY and the one that ends in 2026 split per platform or platform groups. Over time there might be changes (specially for long term) like some game getting delayed or cancelled but they have their stuff planned for the long term. In the case of PC ports they had no PS5+PC release and had planned 2 PC ports for this FY and I think it was 7 for the FY that ends in 2026.

And same goes with marketing, they also have long (and short) term roadmap calendars. Here in recent years things aren't that strict and are more flexible due to things like covid making development times even harder to predict plus also chips shortages also being somewhat less predictable when and how many consoles they will be able to sell in a period, and also mixed with them relying way less on big events like E3 or in the gaming media. Now with their own media channels (in the case of Sony their social media, youtube channel, PS Blog and PSN store featurings) they have more freedom to announce their stuff when it's ready, something it's also good for them to help reduce crunch. But still, they have a marketing roadmap where they have set up a calendar of big and small news and announcements.

Like all roadmaps and calendars things aren't written in stone and constantly they get updated and changed, specially the short term part. But in many cases they have stuff ready to be shown, announced or released but they have it in their roadmap set for later: sometimes to group some announcements in certain event, or to fill some part of the year without nice news and announcements to ensure they have good stuff announced across the year for the different demographics/player groups they cover.

Same goes with releases: they spread their releases across the year considering their 1st and 2nd party games but also 3rd party exclusives, multiplatform games with marketing deals, their relevant hardware/accesories/services releases but also considering their direct competition. They do that also considering their estimations in terms of costs and revenue for each quarter and fiscal year, in addition to the availability of a few devs of their team who may help with the ports with whatever (most likely external) team who will handle the port so they plan and do stuff well in advance.

The amount of work required to develop an AAA game grows every generation, they get bigger, more detailed, with more features and require more time. This means that external outsourcing suport teams get more busy and it's harder to find one of them free to help in your new AAA when your roapmap needs them. This is why companies like Sony bought (and pretty likely will buy more in the future) some of them, for porting or for other tasks, and also grow their own existing internal teams: to rely less on outsourcing, in addition to be able to release more games and faster to avoid or reduce cases where they have to put something on hold because have to wait until certain partner gets free from other project to be able to work on theirs.
Very good explanation on your thoughts. I can agree with this. I think the main thing to pay attention to with these plans is that things change all the time. Having said that, do you still feel that there will be 2+ years before a PC release after a PS5 release? Or do you agree with up to 1 year?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Very good explanation on your thoughts. I can agree with this. I think the main thing to pay attention to with these plans is that things change all the time. Having said that, do you still feel that there will be 2+ years before a PC release after a PS5 release? Or do you agree with up to 1 year?
I think that even if they are growing and expanding into "new" (for them) markets like game subs, cloud gaming, VR, PC, GaaS, mobile or movies & tv shows, all of them are and for at least tihs generation will continue being secondary, additional revenue sources to support their core platform and business: to sell (mostly 3rd party) games and add-ons for their console (and particularly thier digital store).

I think everything else outside core platform and business (to sell -mostly 3rd party- games for their console), including 1st/2nd party games are for them secondary stuff that helps them grow and expand their brand, revenue and profitability, but specially directly or indirectly helps to grow their core business: help sell more games and addons in the PSN store.

And for that core business, the main selling point against their direct competition are the exclusive games. 3rd party exclusives help and are a good support specially to cover certain niches not covered by 3rd parties but they are often temporal console exclusives and in any case since Sony doesn't own the company and IP they can move away for the next game, and they aren't that attached to the PS brand in terms or marketing. So the main selling point for their core business are the 1st party exclusives.

As I mentioned, blockbusters become more and more expensive so they need to find new revenue sources for their 1st party games. But remember, they are something secondary that serve a purpose: to support their main core business, in this case provide unique quality games attached to their brand that can't be played elsewhere.

For that reason, some 1st party games will remain PS exclusive forever and won't ever be released on PC, other consoles or mobile. But there is a part of PC players who will never buy a console, specially from certain key markets like Asia -specially China, India or Russia- or certain Latin American countries. And most PC gamers don't care about buying old games because they often wait for years to buy game for a very cheap price. So they found out that it's a good idea to release some old 1st party games on PC because it doesn't negatively affect their console sales. Both in terms of hardware, in total (specially PSN) game sales and particularly 1st party sales. In fact they can act as a boost to get a few extra console and game sales.

For them to sell a game copy in PC is way worse than to sell it in PS. Not only because of its revenue cut that goes to Steam or Epic. It's because if it's a PS means he'll buy in average over a dozen games more in that platform, that on average will spend X amount of extra money on hardware, accesories and services like PS+.

All this means their priority is to sell their games in PS and that PC is only as small extra for them. Their total revenue and profits are better than ever and are growing in all gaming areas, markets and business including in their 1st party games, which are selling better than ever. So they don't care if to release their PC ports sooner would give them a few million copies more. That's almost nothing for their whole business, it's way more important for them to make sure they don't damage their core business: to sell games for their console.

I think it will only make sense to release their games day one -or very soon, like a year or less after orginal PS release(not a port/remaster/remake)- on PC when that means it oesn't damage their main business, and that will happen once they have PSN store in PC (and pretty likely mobile if they put there their PSN store for mobile games skipping the 30% for Apple or Google) and is big enough to replace the console one. And that won't happen anytime soon.

First they'll need several years of slowly releasing a few PC ports and probably emulated PS1/PS2/PSP/PS3/Vita games soon. Once they have enough PC content they'll be able to open a PC PSN store with also 3rd party games. And years later once this PC PSN store becomes big enough they'll be able to sell their PC game exclusively on their PC PSN store (most PC players only buy on Steam).

And some years later if their PC PSN store becomes big enough to rival their console business -which will continue growing all these years- and didn't damage it they'll make the move that would damage it: to sell all their games day one -or almost, like less than a year- on PC.

So I think that if they'll ever release all their 1st party games, or release them day one or almost (like less than a year) won't be until maybe 10 or even 20 years from now. Until then, I think they'll stick to only port games originally released years before in PS, once they monetized them al they could there via discounts, price cuts and PS+, keeping a safe distance that now it's "at least around two years". They are happy with that distance, we know PS Studios don't plan to release PS5+PC games before at least April 2026 and that they are super happy with the sales of their existing PC ports of old games and that they'll double down on them by releasing a few more PC ports per year, not by releasing them at the same time than in console because for them it wouldn't make sense in terms of business.

I think 1 year or half a yea, or to do it will all their 1st party games, would make some PC players think they won't need to buy onsoles or games for them. I'm talking about band new PS Studios games, their original release. I'm not talking about remakes/remasters/ports of old games, or games from Bungie or other publishers they may buy.

I think Bungie and other publishers they may buy in the future wil continue releasing day one all thier games, or most of them, on PC and (maybe not day one) rival consoles. Because Sony will buy them mostly to get extra revenue and profit, to secure their content from being acquired by someone else who may want to remove them from their platform (mostly MS, Nintendo or Apple) and to get their knowledge, data and tech to improve in some key areas where they don't excel (in case of Bungie GaaS, FPS, MP), plus a way to monetize rival platforms (rival consoles + day one PC releases) while keeping their PS brand as "exclusive" and to make them exclusive for minor things (inclusion in game subs, marketing, bundles, demos/alphas, special editions, VR versions...).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

So I think that if they'll ever release all their 1st party games, or release them day one or almost (like less than a year) won't be until maybe 10 or even 20 years from now. Until then, I think they'll stick to only port games originally released years before in PS, once they monetized them al they could there via discounts, price cuts and PS+, keeping a safe distance that now it's "at least around two years". They are happy with that distance, we know PS Studios don't plan to release PS5+PC games before at least April 2026 and that they are super happy with the sales of their existing PC ports of old games and that they'll double down on them by releasing a few more PC ports per year, not by releasing them at the same time than in console because for them it wouldn't make sense in terms of business.
That's where you and I disagree. Let's see when they release HFW on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.