Not open for further replies.

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
How can someone be so blind and say that? I
g4tv-froskurrin.gif

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Just one nitpick - No disc in the collectors edition, again.

Inexcusable from Sony. The covid excuses after HFW don't apply anymore, this is just greed at this point.
I think they aren’t putting discs so that collection appeal do DE owners, because disc would alienate these users. That’s the only reason o can see for not having discs.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think they aren’t putting discs so that collection appeal do DE owners, because disc would alienate these users. That’s the only reason o can see for not having discs.
It's cost cutting, nothing more. If they want to appeal to digital users they could make a version without the disc.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Maybe not in 2yrs, but even if its not Day 1, I don't see years of putting it on the shelf. That just doesn't make business sense.
Actually late releases on PC is the only way it makes business sense.

You get all the potential revenue from where it matter and has high sales numbers and years late get a bit more with a port to PC… that include double dippers that doesn’t exists in simultâneos releases.

Plus you make these PC users that doesn’t have the patience to wait to buy and get into PS5 for the sequel.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just one nitpick - No disc in the collectors edition, again.

Inexcusable from Sony. The covid excuses after HFW don't apply anymore, this is just greed at this point.
They will never have collections with physical again.
It was clear when they made the PS5 DE.

You have to put collections on market that works in both consoles.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's cost cutting, nothing more. If they want to appeal to digital users they could make a version without the disc.
That will create a lot of law suits to bore Sony.

Imagine people with DE buying the collection edition with physical media and not having the option to play it.

You don’t over complicate when sell a product.... digital voucher works in both consoles... no issue in the consumer side because there is no way to make a mistake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

The decision to port PS Studios games to PC wasn't recent, Shawn Layden said he and his team set this strategy, so we're talking over at least 3 or 4 years ago. It wasn't an idea of the Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst era, the strategy was set before. Their main team (Insomniac in the example of Spider-Man) focus on making games for PS, then years later Sony decides if they port it or not that specific game and if it's the case a separate porting team (in this case Nixxes) ports it.
All I can say is my source told me that they had to begin the refactoring process for their game engine to support the PC. That was at ND. And it was not done and put on a shelf to wait for all the sales to disappear for the PS4 before introducing a finished PC port. That is completely false. They do not put a game on the shelf and wait for sales to diminish before putting the ported game out.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
All I can say is my source told me that they had to begin the refactoring process for their game engine to support the PC. That was at ND. And it was not done and put on a shelf to wait for all the sales to disappear for the PS4 before introducing a finished PC port. That is completely false. They do not put a game on the shelf and wait for sales to diminish before putting the ported game out.
That is exactly what you do.
It is a win-win business case.

You generate way more revenue with that than releasing simultaneous and splitting the sales.
Sony is testing the sales on PC and right now it don't put sales on fire... it is a very minor amount of sales for the games released until now... they believe Niche-man and TLOU will change that but let's wait to see.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
That will create a lot of law suits to bore Sony.

Imagine people with DE buying the collection edition with physical media and not having the option to play it.

You don’t over complicate when sell a product.... digital voucher works in both consoles... no issue in the consumer side because there is no way to make a mistake.

What lawsuits? Are people so stupid they can't read that one doesn't include the disc? What prevents them from including it upfront on the box and pre-order? Nothing, other than greed.

People were excusing Sony when HFW didn't include the disc and blaming covid. Well now there you go, it's not covid.

Sony not including the disc on a collectors item is abhorrent.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What lawsuits? Are people so stupid they can't read that one doesn't include the disc? What prevents them from including it upfront on the box and pre-order? Nothing, other than greed.

People were excusing Sony when HFW didn't include the disc and blaming covid. Well now there you go, it's not covid.

I'm not sure if you are serious but yeap people buy wrong things and blame the company/store all the time.

I don't believe collections editions will ever have physical games again after PS5 DE.
I never excused anything with HFW... it was a non-issue for me... and COVID? I mean you are selling a collection edition why the COVID will affect the disc and not the collection as a whole? Makes no sense imo.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm not sure if you are serious but yeap people buy wrong things and blame the company/store all the time.

I don't believe collections editions will ever have physical games again after PS5 DE.
And I never excused anything with HFW... it was a non-issue for me.

I'm serious. If the label is clear, and people can't read, Sony has nothing to fear.

And I also don't believe it, if they save 1 dollar for every release, 1M releases is 1M dollars.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm serious. If the label is clear, and people can't read, Sony has nothing to fear.

And I also don't believe it, if they save 1 dollar for every release, 1M releases is 1M dollars.
Do you don't believe people go on supermarket and buy Nesspress capsule when they have a Dolce Gusto machine? That's happens more than what you think.
Just to deal with the consumer service request is a cost... it should be a big headache to Sony.

You have two consoles on the market... you launch collection editions that works in both.
You don't over complicate things to sell products.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

The real reason is cross-gen. They don't want to make console specific versions and people would bitch even more, if only PS4 or PS5 version was being packed in. Because people are still buying, they might keep it this way, though.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The real reason is cross-gen. They don't want to make console specific versions and people would bitch even more, if only PS4 or PS5 version was being packed in. Because people are still buying, they might keep it this way, though.

If cross gen is a problem, just include the PS4 disc and an upgrade code for PS5?

D

Deleted member 13

Actually late releases on PC is the only way it makes business sense.

You get all the potential revenue from where it matter and has high sales numbers and years late get a bit more with a port to PC… that include double dippers that doesn’t exists in simultâneos releases.

Plus you make these PC users that doesn’t have the patience to wait to buy and get into PS5 for the sequel.
I don't see it like that. PC isn't rival hardware. I would release as soon as the port is finished. We will see though.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
If cross gen is a problem, just include the PS4 disc and an upgrade code for PS5?

Would have been my preferred solution, too, but I don't think upgrade codes exist and they wouldn't give away a whole PS5 version on top of the physical PS4 disc. Might have worked if they had free upgrades, but remember that before their 180, HFW also was supposed to have a paid upgrade.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Could that not be something that applies to ND's MP-focused title?

Those are the only titles I can see them doing on Day 1, for obvious reasons.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I don't see it like that. PC isn't rival hardware. I would release as soon as the port is finished. We will see though.
Going by what Layden said, the thinking at the time this started was to try to lure people into the PS ecosystem though. Doing Day 1 releases would kinda disincentivize that, and I think they'd prefer a scenario where they keep 100% of the revenue off their game and potentially 30% off third parties rather than losing 30% off their own titles on Steam and whatever percentage Epic takes now.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Going by what Layden said, the thinking at the time this started was to try to lure people into the PS ecosystem though. Doing Day 1 releases would kinda disincentivize that, and I think they'd prefer a scenario where they keep 100% of the revenue off their game and potentially 30% off third parties rather than losing 30% off their own titles on Steam and whatever percentage Epic takes now.
Simultaneous release on PC makes no business sense… you will just lose revenue doing that.
The creator of the biggest game in the industry knows that better than anybody else.

It makes sense for F2P or heavy focused GAAS games because in that case you want simultaneous release to build a community that will spend money and some platforms can't hold the community alone being released later.

Status
Not open for further replies.