The GoWR, TLOU2, and GoT, megathread! The soup of PS 1st Party goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Definitely felt quite uneventful with that blog post & a CGI trailer, but hey it’s still God of War, it’s coming finally!

It has the potential to be Sony’s best game since 2020’s TLOU 2 or 2018’s GOW, hopefully we get a dedicated State of Play soon!

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Well, FromSoft games are a major part of the game world now. There are just more fans since the word is out - and - admittedly the game is of much larger scope.
Well we assume. GOW 2018 was way bigger in scope than anyone thought it would be before release

Now they have 9 realms to make use of. Let's wait and see how big GOW is

D

Deleted member 13

Sony said that other than the announced Uncharted and Spiderman stuff they won't release anything else in PC this fiscal year. No GaaS like Dreams, GT7 or MLB22, no GoWR, none of the almost a dozen unannounced ports mentioned in the Nvidia list.

Don't expect to see brand new PS Studio games day one on PC or close. They'll be released years later after their original PS release, at least around a couple years.
Not true. I said this many times on GAF. I don't expect years just because they are shooting for old PS4 games. Studios are busy with PS5 development and the safest bet is porting PS4 for now. Once the PS4 classics are out of the way and the graphics engines have been refactored, we should closely timed windows for PC.

Its ok though. It's not the end of the world if the PC port comes out Day 1 eventually. I know @Bryank75 might fume at it but overall we will get more exposure to great games.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Not true. I said this many times on GAF. I don't expect years just because they are shooting for old PS4 games. Studios are busy with PS5 development and the safest bet is porting PS4 for now. Once the PS4 classics are out of the way and the graphics engines have been refactored, we should closely timed windows for PC.

Its ok though. It's not the end of the world if the PC port comes out Day 1 eventually. I know @Bryank75 might fume at it but overall we will get more exposure to great games.
I don't see Day 1 happening. I just don't.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Maybe not in 2yrs, but even if its not Day 1, I don't see years of putting it on the shelf. That just doesn't make business sense.
Seems to make sense to me. Doing things as-is has been profitable thusfar. Really not sure why people think Day 1 releases outside of MP titles would suddenly spike their profits to a ridiculous degree, regardless. Especially as charging a full $70 Day 1 carries many promises of piracy from this crowd.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Of course what I said is true.

Jimbo and Hermen said multiple times they didn't plan day one launches on PC for PS Studios games (something they'll do for Bungie and I assume may happen with MLB but pretty likely published by MLB and not Sony), that instead they were going to experiment different distances between the PS and PC releases and that they didn't plan to release all their games on PC. Until now all the games we saw released or announced have a PC release that ranges between aprox. 2 to 10 years after their original PS release. In fact several times they mentioned "PS4 games", not "PS5 games", "PS games".

They said they will continue having their main devs focused on making new games for PS and that will have specialized teams to make the ports, so the main teams don't have to worry about. They shown a chart where for this FY they only planned to port 2 titles, the Uncharted and Spider-Man we know, and for the FY that ends in 2016 they planned to release 7 ports. In that same chart in addition to "PC" they also had groups like "PS5" or "PS4 + PS5", but there wasn't any "PS + PC" or "PS5 + PC" group. Btw in that chart their console games were 8 in the current FY and 14 in the one ending in 2026.

They typically release a new console generation every 7 years so probably will release PS6 in 2027, so probably means no day one PC ports this generation.

Even if they would want to make the PC day one, once they start making ports of PS5 only games with engines adapted to next gen it would mean probably to have PC hardware requirements too high that would reduce the percent of PC players who can play it to a too small percentage so it's better for them to wait so once they release the port that percentage is way bigger.

On top of that, even if they grow Nixxes a lot, buy some porting team more and continue hiring other external ones think they'll be releasing 14 console games per year. This is a fuckton of work for a porting team, specially one that is porting top tier AAA console games coded with a single console in mind very adapted to it and using a custom engine, they aren't porting an indie game running on Unity or UE.

Bungie games will be day one on rival consoles and PC to get more money, but the need PS exclusives because PS will continue being as they said their core business because it's by far their main revenue source (specially due to 3rd party sales, addons from GaaS and game subs) and they need exclusives as main selling points, some exclusives forever and other ones temporal. And part of these exclusives will continue being their PS Studios games.

To port to PC some (not all) old PS Studios games that already generated all the money they could on console after discounts, price cuts and being included in game subs makes sense because it means almost free additional revenue and profit, reach new fans and regions (a few of them may end buying a console to play their sequels and other exclusives but this will be a small minority and not their main goal with PC) without damaging the console, its store revenue and game sub.

To have all of them on PC, and day one, would make irrelevant to buy the console, which would mean to reduce its sales and their main revenue source. And their main revenue and profit source by far is their console and particularly their store, not their 1st party games. Their priority is their console, not to sell a few million copies more of their 1st party games. So they will continue focusing on their console as prioritary core business and will be very careful of not damaging it with the PC ports.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They bought Nixxes, don't have the infrastructure? They're a studio which specializes in PC porting.

I reckon it would take a massive studio to grab games from other studios and then Port 4 to 8 games per year. And I'm talking about porting, if the game is developed for multiple platforms, you don't need to port it.

D

Deleted member 140

I hope that they'll be able to make this game even more emotional and put more emphasis on the relationship between Kratos and Atreus. Maybe make him struggle with his identity and the pressure on him caused by being a god. To find his own way, fighting against the oppression from the world and the powers around him.

D

Deleted member 13

Of course what I said is true.

Jimbo and Hermen said multiple times they didn't plan day one launches on PC for PS Studios games (something they'll do for Bungie and I assume may happen with MLB but pretty likely published by MLB and not Sony), that instead they were going to experiment different distances between the PS and PC releases and that they didn't plan to release all their games on PC. Until now all the games we saw released or announced have a PC release that ranges between aprox. 2 to 10 years after their original PS release. In fact several times they mentioned "PS4 games", not "PS5 games", "PS games".
I explained the reason for the PS4 games first. The decision to port to PC was recent and not when they made the game for the PS4 (i.ie. Spiderman for example). All I can say is we can make a friendly wager that PC releases will be no later than 1 year.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I explained the reason for the PS4 games first. The decision to port to PC was recent and not when they made the game for the PS4 (i.ie. Spiderman for example). All I can say is we can make a friendly wager that PC releases will be no later than 1 year.
The decision to port PS Studios games to PC wasn't recent, Shawn Layden said he and his team set this strategy, so we're talking over at least 3 or 4 years ago. It wasn't an idea of the Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst era, the strategy was set before. Their main team (Insomniac in the example of Spider-Man) focus on making games for PS, then years later Sony decides if they port it or not that specific game and if it's the case a separate porting team (in this case Nixxes) ports it.

Nothing said or made by Sony lead to think they'll release PC ports originally released on PS in less than a year. For remasters/remakes yes, but these are games originally released many years before (10+ years for TLOU1, 6 for Uncharted 4, 5 for Uncharted Lost Legacy). For non remasters/remakes they took 4 years for GoW and Spider-Man, 3 for Horizon, 2 for Morales and Days Gone. Most of the cases accordingly timed to be released on time to use them to promote an upcoming PS only sequel or a movie/tv show or get crosspromoted by them.

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
3Ut1EST.jpg

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I didn't know that... It's not a collector's item without the game.
Well it has the game, just not the disc. I'll buy it anyway and bargain bin second hand the disc version. Like I need to do at some point with forbidden west.

Status
Not open for further replies.