The GoWR, TLOU2, and GoT, megathread! The soup of PS 1st Party goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I don’t understand this choices. These are always badly described and you need to watch a df video to compare.
It just feels like choosing which one of bad choices you want.
I play with big tv up close so of course I want 4k mode. But there is 90% chance it will be super laggy vsynced terrible 30fps like demons souls was.
Df checked this. Bloodborne lag is 75ms faster than demons souls.
It’s like developers forgot how to do 30 fps properly because they know it’s JUST For GRAPHICS and nobody chooses it.
In fact 40fps modes have lag similar to good 30 fps games.

Example of good 30 fps with low input lag are also uncharted4, tlou2, souls and ratchet.
Horizon fw was also playable and I finished it with 30 but the shutter speed was too fast. Good motion blur can help with 30 a lot.

So we are really just forced to pick 60.
You can look at fidelity mode with broken lag, see how nice it looks and then switch to blurry mode… to actually play it.

If games had just one mode I wouldn’t know what am I missing and devs would put more focus on it.

Also tbh, I would be ok if this one mode just had vrr fps cap off but Sony don’t do lfc…
So my hope is 40fps mode because they will botch 30 for sure and everyone will think 30 really is this laggy.
And they can f right off with delaying 40fps mode by the time I finished the game.
I recommend watching latest df bloodborne frame pacing video.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

All I know is that I took someone's advice and started playing GoW again on my Steam deck - man, the game looks so pretty playing it on that small screen. Beautiful colors and excellent rendering! I suck at the combat right now but I can tell that I'm going to need to muscle memory the controller buttons because I'm all screwed up after playing Witcher 3. I normally do NOT like Axes as a melee weapon but the ability to have a DnD dwarven thrower + frost magic Axe is very appealing right now. I'll continue playing it to get a really good feel for the combat.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Until you’ve beat The Impossible Trials you know nothing of the combat.

Give Me God of War + Muspelheim = The Pinnacle

Reactions: arvfab

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Native 4k is just way too much of a memory hog for these little 400/500 dollar machines. Even for state of the art gaming PC’s. Theres a reason why AI upscaling is becoming more of a desired feature. That’s where the future is heading, not native 4k or eventual 8k native gaming.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
I don’t understand this choices. These are always badly described and you need to watch a df video to compare.
It just feels like choosing which one of bad choices you want.
I play with big tv up close so of course I want 4k mode. But there is 90% chance it will be super laggy vsynced terrible 30fps like demons souls was.
Df checked this. Bloodborne lag is 75ms faster than demons souls.
It’s like developers forgot how to do 30 fps properly because they know it’s JUST For GRAPHICS and nobody chooses it.
In fact 40fps modes have lag similar to good 30 fps games.

Example of good 30 fps with low input lag are also uncharted4, tlou2, souls and ratchet.
Horizon fw was also playable and I finished it with 30 but the shutter speed was too fast. Good motion blur can help with 30 a lot.

So we are really just forced to pick 60.
You can look at fidelity mode with broken lag, see how nice it looks and then switch to blurry mode… to actually play it.

If games had just one mode I wouldn’t know what am I missing and devs would put more focus on it.

Also tbh, I would be ok if this one mode just had vrr fps cap off but Sony don’t do lfc…
So my hope is 40fps mode because they will botch 30 for sure and everyone will think 30 really is this laggy.
And they can f right off with delaying 40fps mode by the time I finished the game.
I recommend watching latest df bloodborne frame pacing video.
This is exactly why PC should always be an option. I commend consoles and what they can do for their price points but they always seem such a half step and in either scenario you have to give something up.

If I go route A. I'm stuck at 30 FPS with the highest settings the console can handle at 4K.

If I go route B. I'm at 60 FPS with a dynamic resolution and some graphical settings are lowered.

Both are fine in their own ways and people will choose one, but knowing that nothing has to be sacrificed and indeed it will be even better graphically on PC is exactly why I'm fine waiting.

Reactions: rofif

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
This is exactly why PC should always be an option. I commend consoles and what they can do for their price points but they always seem such a half step and in either scenario you have to give something up.

If I go route A. I'm stuck at 30 FPS with the highest settings the console can handle at 4K.

If I go route B. I'm at 60 FPS with a dynamic resolution and some graphical settings are lowered.

Both are fine in their own ways and people will choose one, but knowing that nothing has to be sacrificed and indeed it will be even better graphically on PC is exactly why I'm fine waiting.

The leap between God of War 2018 and max pc settings really wasn’t that significant. I think a lot of PC Owners convince themselves it is because how long they gotta wait on ports and how much they pay for their set ups.

Maybe for certain games with ray tracing and a bunch of other higher quality settings but cross gen playstation games are built around the consoles. You aren’t squeezing that much more life out of these games otherwise

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Are you also advocating for macOS to become available on regular desktops? Or iOS on Samsung tablets?

Reactions: Hobbygaming

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
The leap between God of War 2018 and max pc settings really wasn’t that significant. I think a lot of PC Owners convince themselves it is because how long they gotta wait on ports and how much they pay for their set ups.

Maybe for certain games with ray tracing and a bunch of other higher quality settings but cross gen playstation games are built around the consoles. You aren’t squeezing that much more life out of these games otherwise
It's still a leap up graphically, you can play it at 120+ FPS and in ultrawide.

We don't need to convince ourselves of anything, I could have a PlayStation 5 tomorrow if I wanted. I do not have interest in one and there's plenty of things to play until these games come out.

Oh and did I mention it can be played on the go now with a Steam Deck. The propositional weight of fixed console gaming compared to PC has never been lower.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It's still a leap up graphically, you can play it at 120+ FPS and in ultrawide.

We don't need to convince ourselves of anything, I could have a PlayStation 5 tomorrow if I wanted. I do not have interest in one and there's plenty of things to play until these games come out.

Oh and did I mention it can be played on the go now with a Steam Deck. The propositional weight of fixed console gaming compared to PC has never been lower.

If that were true you wouldn’t be in a god of war ragnarok discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.