The GoWR, TLOU2, and GoT, megathread! The soup of PS 1st Party goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Of course I would, because it will be on PC and within no time at all several of you are complaining about performative configuration on console. It applies perfectly.

Most of us are participating in this conversation because we are anticipating playing this game this year. hence the multiple threads, and arguments, if we knew this game was coming when the pc version was (late 2023 at best) no one would be talking about it. This thread only exist because of pre order information.

You’re talking about it cause we are, the console players who will be playing it this year. If you had any other hype games to talk about you’d be there.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
FXsqgkcVsAIRagR

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Gamestop are such huge fuckups. They got the exclusive rights to sell Collectors and Jotnar edition in Ireland and managed to not have Jotnar available to the public before it being out of stock. The listing is still not even live for that edition.

I managed to snag the collectors for now, but I'm pissed.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The leap between God of War 2018 and max pc settings really wasn’t that significant. I think a lot of PC Owners convince themselves it is because how long they gotta wait on ports and how much they pay for their set ups.

Maybe for certain games with ray tracing and a bunch of other higher quality settings but cross gen playstation games are built around the consoles. You aren’t squeezing that much more life out of these games otherwise
I replayed gow on ps5 this year and it was great

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
All I know is that I took someone's advice and started playing GoW again on my Steam deck - man, the game looks so pretty playing it on that small screen. Beautiful colors and excellent rendering! I suck at the combat right now but I can tell that I'm going to need to muscle memory the controller buttons because I'm all screwed up after playing Witcher 3. I normally do NOT like Axes as a melee weapon but the ability to have a DnD dwarven thrower + frost magic Axe is very appealing right now. I'll continue playing it to get a really good feel for the combat.
While you can use the Axe as a Melee weapon, and it has some perks for that, I consider it a range weapon… it main function and most perks are ranged…. You will be using the bare hands and shield for melee a lot of times.

That will contrast a lot in the middle of the game when you get a focused multi target melee weapon.

I really liked the Axe at first but started to love the combat after the blades.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
Of course I would, because it will be on PC and within no time at all several of you are complaining about performative configuration on console. It applies perfectly.
3 months is too long to wait for an anticipated game like this, let alone a year or longer

D

Deleted member 13

While you can use the Axe as a Melee weapon, and it has some perks for that, I consider it a range weapon… it main function and most perks are ranged…. You will be using the bare hands and shield for melee a lot of times.

That will contrast a lot in the middle of the game when you get a focused multi target melee weapon.

I really liked the Axe at first but started to love the combat after the blades.
We'll see. I should be able to beat the game with the Axe if I level it up. I never liked the chaos blades but I still beat the previous GoW games with it.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
We'll see. I should be able to beat the game with the Axe if I level it up. I never liked the chaos blades but I still beat the previous GoW games with it.
I disagree with him. The Axe is really a hybrid weapon and it works just fine up close.

D

Deleted member 13

What sort of sick individual would chose 30fps over 60fps just for native 4K when we already have so many advanced upscaling tech?
It's not good enough is why. The upscaling takes away from the details in so many ways. I could go over the tech behind it but it would be too complicated. You guys must remember that native 4k sets ALL the framebuffers to that resolution. That means any textures that are 2k or more in size will get squeezed and averaged out thereby removing details. Same thing happens with all the 2D framebuffers used for various composites (i.e. God rays, motion blur, shadow maps, depth buffer, etc..).

I would definitely take 30fps over 60fps for games like this. Online or FPS would be a different story.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I don’t understand this choices. These are always badly described and you need to watch a df video to compare.
It just feels like choosing which one of bad choices you want.
I play with big tv up close so of course I want 4k mode. But there is 90% chance it will be super laggy vsynced terrible 30fps like demons souls was.
Df checked this. Bloodborne lag is 75ms faster than demons souls.
It’s like developers forgot how to do 30 fps properly because they know it’s JUST For GRAPHICS and nobody chooses it.
In fact 40fps modes have lag similar to good 30 fps games.

Example of good 30 fps with low input lag are also uncharted4, tlou2, souls and ratchet.
Horizon fw was also playable and I finished it with 30 but the shutter speed was too fast. Good motion blur can help with 30 a lot.

So we are really just forced to pick 60.
You can look at fidelity mode with broken lag, see how nice it looks and then switch to blurry mode… to actually play it.

If games had just one mode I wouldn’t know what am I missing and devs would put more focus on it.

Also tbh, I would be ok if this one mode just had vrr fps cap off but Sony don’t do lfc…
So my hope is 40fps mode because they will botch 30 for sure and everyone will think 30 really is this laggy.
And they can f right off with delaying 40fps mode by the time I finished the game.
I recommend watching latest df bloodborne frame pacing video.
You're acting as if they have to fully develop the game twice in two modes when it's literally a toggle, man. It's not a matter of "fully focusing" on one. It's simply a switch you flip in whichever direction you want.

We're also kinda jumping the gun here on decrying visual modes we haven't even seen in action yet. God of War 2018 played just fine on the PS4, I've little doubt the fidelity mode for Ragnarok will play well too.

BloodMod

Fear the Old Blood
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It's not good enough is why. The upscaling takes away from the details in so many ways. I could go over the tech behind it but it would be too complicated. You guys must remember that native 4k sets ALL the framebuffers to that resolution. That means any textures that are 2k or more in size will get squeezed and averaged out thereby removing details. Same thing happens with all the 2D framebuffers used for various composites (i.e. God rays, motion blur, shadow maps, depth buffer, etc..).

I would definitely take 30fps over 60fps for games like this. Online or FPS would be a different story.
Back in the day, we had blurry textures and edges. Nowadays with temporal AA, we get shimmering and other artifacts instead.
Nonetheless, it's still better image quality than before, even when it is upscaled.

Native will always be better, of course.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022

So all the DLSS/FSR talk was a waste of time?

TLoU2 is 1440p with no fancy reconstruction looks stunning to this day.

Not to mention how obviously superior 60fps is going to be over 30fps. You can't be serious.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't think you can beat the game only with Axe.
Late in the game and even bosses are imune to it... well most if not all enemies in Helheim (what I call Hells) are immune to Axe freeze perk so it doesn't even give damage to them.
There is a boss that change between fire immunity shield to ice immunity shield so you need to keep changing the weapon to damage him... and bare hands or shield doesn't work either.

In simple terms Axe is an Ice weapon that doesn't works in Ice based enemies.
I think you already saw that... some few early enemies from Hells (around your start point) you have to use the bare hands to beat because the Axe doesn't work... will be surprise how easy they are when you get a Fire weapon and use against them :D

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
What sort of sick individual would chose 30fps over 60fps just for native 4K when we already have so many advanced upscaling tech?
People have preferences and they're not sick because of them. What is good for you is not necessarily good for them. And I say that as a person that will play at 60fps or at 40fps if available at launch.

D

Deleted member 13

I don't think you can beat the game only with Axe.
Late in the game and even bosses are imune to it... well most if not all enemies in Helheim (what I call Hells) are immune to Axe freeze perk so it doesn't even give damage to them.
There is a boss that change between fire immunity shield to ice immunity shield so you need to keep changing the weapon to damage him... and bare hands or shield doesn't work either.

In simple terms Axe is an Ice weapon that doesn't works in Ice based enemies.
I think you already saw that... some few early enemies from Hells (around your start point) you have to use the bare hands to beat because the Axe doesn't work... will be surprise how easy they are when you get a Fire weapon and use against them :D
I'm ok with that. Don't mind changing up. But my favorite weapon will be the Axe. :)

Reactions: ethomaz
D

Deleted member 13

So all the DLSS/FSR talk was a waste of time?
Of course not. But DLSS/FSR is still (to my knowledge) only doing work on the final frame after all the composite operations.

TLoU2 is 1440p with no fancy reconstruction looks stunning to this day.
Looks "stunning" is subjective. I'm talking about what goes on under the hood and the science behind it. 1440p upscaled to 4k will take away details from a full non-scaled backbuffer. That's just the facts. I can see the difference while others may not and that's OK. I'm just saying I would want the full 4k experience because it does look crisper than 1440p upscaled.

Not to mention how obviously superior 60fps is going to be over 30fps. You can't be serious.
Yup 60FPS is way more smoother than 30FPS. No argument there. But for a game like this where ms from 30FPS vs. 60FPS isn't going to bog down the gameplay or input feedback, I'll take the higher resolution along with all the backbuffers being high res as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.