The GoWR, TLOU2, and GoT, megathread! The soup of PS 1st Party goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Well if you say GOT wasnt a big seller, then neither was TLOU2. cause they are neck and neck.

Either way many games get bundled at one time or another. Makes little difference.
Ghost of Tsushima wasn't a big selling in Europe and that would explain the bundles in that region.

Many games get bundled and we know it increases sales. That's why Horizon Zero Dawn was able to reach 20 million and Uncharted surpassed 16 million in just over 3 years.

The Last of Us Part II was on the market for 16 days and it surpassed Uncharted 4 in the US?

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Why would he need to?
Because he said so at the Dorito's pope show.

I'm sure if The Last of Us Part II gets released and it's included in PS5 consoles, I'm sure people are going to bring up bundle sales as a negative point in the future.
And I am sure the defense force will do likewise.

The point is. Part 2 should have sold closer to 20M. as simple as that, there is no qualification, small letters or 4D math.

Now. Is going to be interesting how The Remake is going to perform and also the discourse about it. I wonder if the remake is going to be another point of attack for Part 2:

"See, the remake shows how bad part 2 actually is".

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Because he said so at the Dorito's pope show.

And I am sure the defense force will do likewise.

The point is. Part 2 should have sold closer to 20M. as simple as that, there is no qualification, small letters or 4D math.

Now. Is going to be interesting how The Remake is going to perform and also the discourse about it. I wonder if the remake is going to be another point of attack for Part 2:

"See, the remake shows how bad part 2 actually is".
You're saying it should sell 20M because of how God of War sold. I pointed out on GAF that it was bundled more than 10 times.

You're ignoring bundles because it doesn't help your case at all. Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon Zero Dawn wouldn't be close to their milestones without bundles.

People love to point out discounts that helped sales of the Last of Us Part II, but people want to ignore discounts and bundles from other games in comparison.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ghost of Tsushima wasn't a big selling in Europe and that would explain the bundles in that region.

Many games get bundled and we know it increases sales. That's why Horizon Zero Dawn was able to reach 20 million and Uncharted surpassed 16 million in just over 3 years.

The Last of Us Part II was on the market for 16 days and it surpassed Uncharted 4 in the US?

You're saying it should sell 20M because of how God of War sold. I pointed out on GAF that it was bundled more than 10 times.

You're ignoring bundles because it doesn't help your case at all. Uncharted, God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon Zero Dawn wouldn't be close to their milestones without bundles.

People love to point out discounts that helped sales of the Last of Us Part II, but people want to ignore discounts and bundles from other games in comparison.

As I mentioned above GoT, Uncharted 4, TLOU1, TLOU2 and Horizon -and all of them were heavily bundled worldwide, and discounted some time later after launch- sold somewhat similar sales at this point of its lifetime, around 10M copies worldwide counting physical+retail in around 2 years. None of these games or other ones like GoW or Spider-Man did reach 20M in 2 years at all.

In the case of TLOU2 it had the extra of record launch sales at the very start, probably due to hype from the first one plus covid lockdowns bump. GoT had a slower start but got the bump of DLC and PS5 version/Director's Cut, which TLOU2 still didn't have. I assume in the near future TLOU2 will have bumps due to TLOU1 remake, tv show, TLOU MP game and potential PS5 version which probably will come bundled with TLOU1 remake as a Director's Cut (they said more Director's Cuts are coming).

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
What precedent are you using to say it should have sold almost 20m copies in 1.5 years?
Did I said almost? With so many conversations I don't remember. I think I use the word closer

Which means more than 15 million.

the precedent I am using is:

1.Part 2 is the sequel of one of the best games ever created,

2. Part 1 had almost 10 years to established his IP

2.God Of War 2018. Which had roughly the same amount of dormant years between Ascension and selling almost 20M in the roughly the same amount of time.

Also GoW2018 is regarded as one of the best games ever created.

In what reality was that ever a possibility. The biggest playstation games hit that milestone multiple releases and years later.

This kind of games GOTY/Game of the Generation are incredible rare.

The Last of us is one of those games.
As God of War 2018..

The Last of Us 2 apparently is a failure because it didn’t outsell spider-man in a 3rd of the time? Ok lol
Again. Did I say failure? I said "massive underperformed" right?

Underperform≠failure.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Again. Did I say failure? I said "massive underperformed" right?

Underperform≠failure.
It's just sad when a Sony game that "massively underperformed" will end up selling more than anything MS ever produced. 10m+ with no Director's Cut version yet, with TLoU Part I remake and the HBO show on the way.

When was the last time MS made a game that sold 10m copies anyway?

Then we have to hear about how Sony can't compete, that ain't no competition outside of Nintendo.

Themaskedcrag

Cunning Linguist
13 Jul 2022
I can't go back to playing games at 30, so I will be sticking to the 60 mode, also I don't have a huge tv it's 42" so as long as the anti-aliasing solution is reasonable it will look fine. Even HZD looked great before the more recent patches. It looks amazing now though!

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
It's just sad when a Sony game that "massively underperformed" will end up selling more than anything MS ever produced. 10m+ with no Director's Cut version yet, with TLoU Part I remake and the HBO show on the way.

When was the last time MS made a game that sold 10m copies anyway?
Sony is in another level. There is no question about it. MS (the triple.trillion dollar company) is a fucking joke.

NOW. I am just saying Part 2 should be closer to 20M. As simple as that.

Then we have to hear about how Sony can't compete, that ain't no competition outside of Nintendo.
If there is a company I don't give a flying fuck...that is Nintendo.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Sony is in another level. There is no question about it. MS (the triple.trillion dollar company) is a fucking joke.

NOW. I am just saying Part 2 should be closer to 20M. As simple as that.
Why? They took a massive risks with the story, went all in with their vision and are pretty much keeping pace so far with the first game, a game that was a huge success and that had a remaster to help it sell more.

Mad respect for ND, they made an absolute banger, 10/10, next level everything, masterpiece. No amount of butt hurt widows or haters is going to change that fact. For those who didn't like it, move on, enough time has passed, there is no going back, just accept that is was still a massive success even if you didn't like it.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Why? They took massive risks with the story, went all in with their vision and are pretty much keeping pace so far with the first game, a game that was a huge success and that had a remaster to help it sell more.

Mad respect for ND, they made an absolute banger, 10/10 and no amount of but hurt widows or haters is going to change that.
Oh. I respect their ambitions. As I respect Cloud Atlas from the wachowskis for example. This dosen't mean I am not going to criticize the outcome/execution of those ideas.

The point in this topic is this: The drama/divisiveness of this game clearly affected its performance.

and to be clear for the n time:

1. I don't have an issue with the Story
2. I don't have an issue with the Characters
3. I don't have an issue with the gameplay/graphic/animation
4. I don't have an issue with the performance(acting).

all of the above are 10/10

The only issue the game has is the fucking cluster fuck of pretentious storytelling. That gets on the way of the story itself.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Oh. I respect their ambitions. As I respect Cloud Atlas from the wachowskis for example. This dosen't mean I am not going to criticize the outcome/execution of those ideas.

The point in this topic is this: The drama/divisiveness of this game clearly affected its performance.

and to be clear for the n time:

1. I don't have an issue with the Story
2. I don't have an issue with the Characters
3. I don't have an issue with the gameplay/graphic/animation
4. I don't have an issue with the performance(acting).

all of the above are 10/10

The only issue the game has is the fucking cluster fuck of pretentious storytelling. That gets on the way of the story itself.
What is pretentious about? It's pretentious to try and tell a serious/violent story in games? If all those points you listed are good why be mad at the game?

Maybe a boring sequel that didn't try anything new would actually have affected performance as well. There is no denying it was a critical and commercial success and despite being decisive a massive audience still liked it.

Whatever, let's assume it underperformed, so what?

DForce

24 Jun 2022
As I mentioned above GoT, Uncharted 4, TLOU1, TLOU2 and Horizon -all of them heavily bundled, counting physical and digital- sold somewhat around 10M in around 2 years.

In the case of TLOU2 it had the extra of record launch sales probably due to hype from the first one plus covid lockdowns bump. GoT had a slower start but got the bump of DLC and PS5 version/Director's Cut, which TLOU2 still didn't have. I assume in the near future TLOU2 will have bumps due to TLOU1 remake, tv show, TLOU MP game and potential PS5 version which probably will come bundled with TLOU1 remake as a Director's Cut (they said more Director's Cuts are coming).
I can see them bundling the Last of Us 1 and 2 with the PS5 console sometime next year. It also wouldn't surprise me if they try to get TLOU MP, TLOU 1, and 2 on PC as soon as possible (as it was announced TLOU 1 is coming to PC shortly after).

Reactions: nominedomine

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
What is pretentious about? It's pretentious to try and tell a serious/violent story in games? If all those points you listed are good why be mad at the game?
Did i said it was a bad game?. It Is not.

I have to make some concepts straight.

1. Story: what happens through time.
2. Plot Point: a very specific/important moment that changes the course of the story/chatacter.
3. Storytelling : how a story is told.

And as I said many times:

If in Part 1 the protagonists are Joel and Ellie; in Part 2 the protagonists are Neil and the Narrative team.

In other words: Part 2 storytelling is contrived, inorganic, convenient (for the narrative team) and convoluted. They were trying to be fancy and sophisticated and ended up like a mess.

Maybe a boring sequel that didn't try anything new would actually have affected performance as well. There is no denying it was a critical and commercial success and despite being decisive a massive audience still liked it.
Again, Part 2 is not that.

Yeah. And a lot of people liked the new Star Wars trilogy for example.

Whatever, let's assume it underperformed, so what?
This could mean for Sony and ND to pay more attention on these issues.

There is a post-mortem interview with Neil and Gross. That is very enlightening, Neil (of course is a smart guy)/so he knows part 2 issues. At least I know he knows.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I can see them bundling the Last of Us 1 and 2 with the PS5 console sometime next year. It also wouldn't surprise me if they try to get TLOU MP, TLOU 1, and 2 on PC as soon as possible (as it was announced TLOU 1 is coming to PC shortly after).
I was thinking about bundling TLOU1 with a potential future PS5 version of TLOU2 on a director's cut with both games together, I wasn't thinking on a console bundle. And then like half a year later release it on PC.

But yes, they could do a bundle with the console too.

Last edited:

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Did i said it was a bad game?. It Is not.

I have to make some concepts straight.

1. Story: what happens through time.
2. Plot Point: a very specific/important moment that changes the course of the story/chatacter.
3. Storytelling : how a story is told.

And as I said many times:

If in Part 1 the protagonists are Joel and Ellie; in Part 2 the protagonists are Neil and the Narrative team.

In other words: Part 2 storytelling is contrived, inorganic, convenient (for the narrative team) and convoluted. They were trying to be fancy and sophisticated and ended up like a mess.

Again, Part 2 is not that.

Yeah. And a lot of people liked the new Star Wars trilogy for example.

This could mean for Sony and ND to pay more attention on these issues.

There is a post-mortem interview with Neil and Gross. That is very enlightening, Neil (of course is a smart guy)/so he knows part 2 issues. At least I know he knows.
Ok, if that's how you feel, good for you.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Ok, if that's how you feel, good for you.
DiligentUnsteadyIcelandichorse-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.