Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Did I said failure? Cannot remember.

Underperforming ≠ failure.

Yeah I think people forget that these games launched ONLY 1 month or so apart.

TLOU2 was 10 million at Summer Gamesfest, so essentially a brand new IP is neck and neck with the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed games ever.

I think Sony need to think about how this happened.

Also SP need a bigger budget and more support, cause their potential is way higher than people gave them credit for.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I 100% believe it was Cory who suggested they change the date. 11/11 would have brought about non-stop bitter console wars that would have permeated the rest of the year.

Its absolutely insane but two days changes a lot of discussion and toxic attitudes toward the game. Its a little bit of a courtesy but also just better marketing. You don’t want God of War Ragnarok tainted by starfield

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I wish I were you.
I could play this game fresh again. Enjoy the scenery. Beatiful stuff.
There is a duel as soon as you get to the second area, my god. My jaw was on the floor. The low fog the katanas around the stage. Some epic stuff.
If I were you I would play on lethal. Probably the best higher difficulty in any game ever.

Yep, i played it twice already

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
TLOU2 was 10 million at Summer Gamesfest, so essentially a brand new IP is neck and neck with the sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed games ever.

• No, it wasn’t as late as summer game fest, Neil specifically said earlier in the year (spring), so roughly 1.5 years for The Last of US Part 2 to sell over 10 million copies, versus Ghost of Tsushima which isn’t 10 mil yet as of yesterday. The Last of Us is still outpacing it as the same rate it was in 2020
  • Ghost of Tsushima has already been remastered and bundled with PS5’s. They have already done their second round of marketing for Tsushima, the only stage left for it is the movie/pc release push, but its already on PS Extra so its already at the end of its big sales milestones.
  • The Last of Us Part 2, still has a remaster most likely coming out, plus the HBO show is coming out this winter. There is no real way Tsushima will catch up to it. Theres a reason Sony hasn’t put it on PS Extra yet.
Ghost of Tsushima is a run away success for a new IP and it puts Suckerpunch at the big boy table but its exhausting that two years later people are still trying to use it to downplay TLOU2. Let both these franchises be great on their own. They’re not in competition with each other.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
  • No, it wasn’t as late as summer game fest, Neil specifically said earlier in the year (spring), so roughly 1.5 years for The Last of US Part 2 to sell over 10 million copies, versus Ghost of Tsushima which isn’t 10 mil yet as of yesterday. The Last of Us is still outpacing it as the same rate it was in 2020
  • Ghost of Tsushima has already been remastered and bundled with PS5’s. They have already done their second round of marketing for Tsushima, the only stage left for it is the movie/pc release push, but its already on PS Extra so its already at the end of its big sales milestones.
  • The Last of Us Part 2, still has a remaster most likely coming out, plus the HBO show is coming out this winter. There is no real way Tsushima will catch up to it. Theres a reason Sony hasn’t put it on PS Extra yet.
Ghost of Tsushima is a run away success for a new IP and it puts Suckerpunch at the big boy table but its exhausting that two years later people are still trying to use it to downplay TLOU2. Let both these franchises be great on their own. They’re not in competition with each other.

I just expected more from TLOU2 and didn't find the story very good..... I thought it would use Ellies immunity a lot more. Revenge stories have been done far better...Gangs of New York, The Revenant, Kill Bill, OldBoy, Gladiator.

What I did enjoy was the world, the combat and gameplay.... even the sound design was fantastic and the acting was great.
I'd just get better writers.

Edit: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...s-sold-an-impressive-10-million-copies-on-ps4

He says 'as of the spring' it sold 10 million, if they hit 11 million more recently though he would have used that....so obviously it's just not selling at that pace.... there isnt much between them really. GOT had a large DLC, usually games with big DLC's get a packaged edition.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
is not trolling when is fact. 😆
You think “underperforming” is fact. You’re laughable.

The original The Last of Us sold 8 million on PS3 lifetime.
The remaster sold 12 million on PS4 over 5 years.

The PS4 wasn’t backwards compatible so millions (like me) had to buy the game twice.
TLOU Remastered was also bundled in with millions of PS4s.

So the first game sells 20 million in 6 years across 2 platforms.
Except like 2-3 million of those were because PS4 lacked BC.
And like 3-4 million more were only sold as part of hardware bundles.
So really you’re looking at the first game selling around 13-15 million on its own over 6 years.

Now Part 2 has sold over 10 million in under 2 years on 1 platform.
No forced buying the game twice to play it on PS5.
No PS5 bundles to boost sales.
And it will go on to sell around 15 million lifetime, or even more.
(That’s the equivalent of a multiplat game selling like 30 million.)

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

DForce

24 Jun 2022
A SEQUEL of one the the greatest games ever made, selling roughly the same as a brand new IP?

Yep. Massive underperforming.
Ghost of Tsushima was re-released on PS5.
The game was included in many soft bundles by GameStop and other retailers. That would explain the jump in sales even though it was low on the sales charts.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Ghost of Tsushima was re-released on PS5.
The game was included in many soft bundles by GameStop and other retailers. That would explain the jump in sales even though it was low on the sales charts.
Good for Ghost.

Bad look for TLoUP2. There is no way how to spin it. Again Part 2 should be closer to 20M. At least 15 at this point.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Good for Ghost.

Bad look for TLoUP2. There is no way how to spin it. Again Part 2 should be closer to 20M. At least 15 at this point.
There's no spin.
Retailers are including the game with the PS5. They're not going to include TLOU Part II because it's a PS4 game.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There's no spin.
Retailers are including the game with the PS5. They're not going to include TLOU Part II because it's a PS4 game.
HFW is the bundle game as far as I know. I have never seen GOT bundled but maybe there are soft bundles in some countries.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
HFW is the bundle game as far as I know. I have never seen GOT bundled but maybe there are soft bundles in some countries.

Here are some. I know it happened in Europe with the PS4 and PS5 version. Ghost of Tsushima wasn't a big seller out there, so it's not that surprising to me.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Here are some. I know it happened in Europe with the PS4 and PS5 version. Ghost of Tsushima wasn't a big seller out there, so it's not that surprising to me.

Well if you say GOT wasnt a big seller, then neither was TLOU2. cause they are neck and neck.

Either way many games get bundled at one time or another. Makes little difference.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Good for Ghost.

What precedent are you using to say it should have sold almost 20m copies in 1.5 years? In what reality was that ever a possibility. The biggest playstation games hit that milestone multiple releases and years later.

The Last of Us 2 apparently is a failure because it didn’t outsell spider-man in a 3rd of the time? Ok lol

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What precedent are you using to say it should have sold almost 20m copies in 1.5 years? In what reality was that ever a possibility. The biggest playstation games hit that milestone multiple releases and years later.

The Last of Us 2 apparently is a failure because it didn’t outsell spider-man in a 3rd of the time? Ok lol

I'm interested to hear if you and @kyliethicc think it will it 20 million sales and when it will hit that number......

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I'm interested to hear if you and @kyliethicc think it will it 20 million sales and when it will hit that number......

It was reported by Zhuge that part I sold 20 million in 2019, thats 6 years. So that.

If it hits that milestone before 2026 which it very well could with the pc and tv show then it will outpace TLOU original

Reactions: Bryank75
Status
Not open for further replies.