The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Wanted to come back to this since I read it the other day. I don't think it will be a problem to have Bella look "older" in the second game. She wore a chest binder on this series, and the clothing choice (baggy clothes) was obviously designed to have her look younger overall. Also make up is a huge part. She already looks 19 or 20 in real life appearances:

maxresdefault.jpg

sub-buzz-7902-1673712303-1.jpg

I'm actually more concerned about Joel's age in the second season. Joel was 51 on the first game and 56 on the second one, however in the series he's already 56. Pedro does not look 56 at all, especially considering the post-apocalyptic nature of the show. If we get a 5 year timeskip, it may be very hard to have him look like he's in his 60s.
Trivia: In The Last of Us (2013) and The Last of Us Remastered, Joel was in his late-40s and had Sara in his late-teens/early-20s. This was confirmed on the official site and other materials.

The 51 age was a retcon from The Last of Us Part I and II.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Trivia: In The Last of Us (2013) and The Last of Us Remastered, Joel was in his late-40s and had Sara in his late-teens/early-20s. This was confirmed on the official site and other materials.

The 51 age was a retcon from The Last of Us Part I and II.
It's impossible for Joel to have been in his 20s in the game when he had Sarah. Sarah at the beginning of the game = 12, Joel during the rest of the game "late 40s" = 46-49, but it was 20 years after the prologue so when he had Sarah would have been 46-32 = 14 years old at the earliest to 17 years old. Any later and he'd have been in his 50s. Either that or Druckmann can't count.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Wanted to come back to this since I read it the other day. I don't think it will be a problem to have Bella look "older" in the second game. She wore a chest binder on this series, and the clothing choice (baggy clothes) was obviously designed to have her look younger overall. Also make up is a huge part. She already looks 19 or 20 in real life appearances:

maxresdefault.jpg

sub-buzz-7902-1673712303-1.jpg

I'm actually more concerned about Joel's age in the second season. Joel was 51 on the first game and 56 on the second one, however in the series he's already 56. Pedro does not look 56 at all, especially considering the post-apocalyptic nature of the show. If we get a 5 year timeskip, it may be very hard to have him look like he's in his 60s.
They just grey his hair more. You guys overthink this way too much

Joel in the game didnt look like a 51 or a 56 year old. Even in the updated version

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I'd love to see a source for this. But between late 40s and early 50s (he's actually 52 in Part 1, not 51) there's not much difference.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
However, while the game’s characterization of the two cannibals simply depicts them as unhinged but resilient-in-the-face-of-the-apocalypse psychopaths, HBO’s live-action adaptation opted to provide some additional and unnecessary context to the characters’ backstories.

its-alll-so-tiresome-tired.gif

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Yeah I find blatant propagandizing tiresome. If we were talking about a different show hypothetically that had politics you people disagreed with, and they took a property with a nondescript band of cannibals, then specifically made them say, a group of LBTQ advocates in a tv adaptation, there would rightly be some questions asked and more than likely many bile filled think pieces written regarding the motivations of the writer.

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
I'd love to see a source for this. But between late 40s and early 50s (he's actually 52 in Part 1, not 51) there's not much difference.
He was mentioned to be in his late-40s several times by Naughty Dog.

• Informative

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

its-alll-so-tiresome-tired.gif
The episode isn't even anti Christian. David uses religion as a way to control the town, most of who don't know they are eating people. He even says so at the end. That's not anti Christian, that's anti evil people hiding behind Christianity. Which unfortunately is very common

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The episode isn't even anti Christian. David uses religion as a way to control the town, most of who don't know they are eating people. He even says so at the end. That's not anti Christian, that's anti evil people hiding behind Christianity. Which unfortunately is very common
How dare you use facts and logic on the internet? How dare you?

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Lmao they’ve managed to make Joel even more of an asshole in the episode. This was a masterpiece. I hated Joel before and now I hate him even more.

• sad

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lol they didn't include the bill&frank episode in the catch-up summary portion...guess the detractors were right that it didn't matter.

*edit* The episode itself is okay, I thought it was good enough. Still gonna stick to an 8.5 rating for the series overall, I liked Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson's delivery of the final scene better. The show did end up doing some things better than the game, Pedro Pascal did some things better than Troy Baker. Still have issues with the pacing and some of the dialogue writing, but overall a pretty good show and probably the best video game adaptation to date.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
So-so episode to end it as well. Infected sections got demolished in the series unfortunately.

Joel Rambo section in the hospital didn't land as it should because it doesn't translate well to TV what you can do in the game. I thought the showrunners would have to come up with a more nuanced approach to that massacre but nope....(aka mailed it in Rambo style - except even Rambo is more nuanced, specially the masterpiece that is First Blood). Ashley's opener was sort of OK until she pooped Ellie out of her vagina, with no blood apparently on her or the baby (that pussy seen some traffic for sure to be that dilated) - what a stupid decision to think that will somehow fly. What a stupid decision to have someone be in charge and think that is somehow quality TV or acceptable. No standards of excellence.

Overall for the series, Mediocre with 2 good first impression episodes. Budget showed through where other mailed in, cash and grab video game adaptations (many shrunken to movie plots) did not. Actors did as best they could with the script and the direction the showrunners gave them. But at the end of the day, not even the greatest acting power can make up for every questionable decision or mistake. Acting performances did elevate a lot of garbage, and hid a lot of braindead decisions that is for sure.

Series is dumb down fast food. I've absolutely no hope the series will improve by the second season unless they change the whole showrunning team top to bottom. It will be interesting once Pascal goes bye bye how long the show holds up..... Abby will have to be extremely well written, portrayed and acted for the carry through, and since they rushed a great lots of things in the first season, well, that doesn't bode well for exactly that.

Cultural warriors infecting all discussions make this even more of a shitshow - a lot of idiots running around wild. The times we live in.

Last edited:
  • brain
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
This reads like a parody.

Anyway, the show was excellent and I hope it makes non-gamers do a double take at how good video game stories can be. The reception must also feel like a real 'fuck you' to the game's detractors. Can't win 'em all, unless you're Druckmann, apparently.
Yes, it was excellent and the ending was everything I hoped and more. Bella is amazing as Ellie

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
So I’ll keep this simple, I can notice they focused on episode 1 and 2 and the rest felt not as focused.
I’m just glad we got a good and well received video game adaptation.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Amazing final episode, though not my favourite. The part where they leave the hospital and arrive in jackson feels rushed, but that also feels rushed in the games. I find it almost poetic that both in the games and in the show, Ashley Johnson gave birth to Ellie.