The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Really good episode, and really good adaptation. The confrontation between Ellie and David was fucking perfect, maybe even better than the game. This was probably the first episode where I felt Bella Ramsey was REALLY good in her role.

Also why the fuck did they keep teasing the clickers in the hunting scene when there was no payoff? That was the point where David decided he wanted to take her in. Also, holy shit Troy Baker is almost unrecognizable with that facial hair. He looks like a hobo lol

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Goes to show how much just a little more action helps the episodes land better. Stuck close to source as well, and didn't rush too much.

Obviously not without its faults.

Like "crazy man" Joel dialogue line and reference when there was nothing in the previous episode to back it up. Crazy man Joel is the Joel that single handily killed 4-5 hunters in the University, not the one that got into a fistfight with just a single one and got almost mortally wounded as in the TV show. Clearly dialogue carry over with no oversight. If they hadn't massacred the University section, the obvious inconsistency wouldn't be there.

No infected section. In this episode, missing the section wasn't really felt, as opposed to other episodes where its exclusion and deviation from source hurt the episodes. Regardless, the lack of infected sections now are way too many where each omission compounds the problem.

Pub catches fire, shots are fired and no one from the town comes to check it out. Obviously Joel in the game does the clean up in the background which is why Ellie/David end up isolated. On TV no one does the clean up (at least not shown, nor can it be reasonable inferred by the audience that Joel is doing the clean up in the town). Just a single loud shot in the background, with David nodding his head in curiosity while the pub was catching fire would have served as that inference of Joel working in the background but they couldn't even come up with such an overused, yet extremely useful trick. The rush to the final story beat was another poor oversight for the David arc.

So-so episode. Troy actually acted pretty well. Props to the man.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
do some still think Bella can’t handle adapting part 2 after that scene at the ending of the episode?

I think its more of a age issue. Bella in real life is 19, and in last of us part 2 its 5 years since the first game. My issue is Bella looks sounds way too young to play a 19-20 year old Ellie. And in my opinion in part 2 she looks much older.

They probably will stick with Bella though.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
do some still think Bella can’t handle adapting part 2 after that scene at the ending of the episode?
Nah I am not, but I am more intrigued how Neil and Mazin will handle adapting part 2. Having characters once again traveling across a country (more than once ) in a post apocalyptic world will prove to be unrealistic to most of the viewers.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Ah, the usual Monday morning dose of laughable takes.

I’ll miss this when the season is over!

I love the idea that somehow people will find season 2 unrealistic. Why? Because the apocalypse will magically be all better once a pair of people manage to cross the continent?

Seriously, that cracks me up.

And again, everyone who doesn’t get it should really listen to the official podcast. Some of you might actually get a clue from it.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Ah, the usual Monday morning dose of laughable takes.

I’ll miss this when the season is over!

I love the idea that somehow people will find season 2 unrealistic. Why? Because the apocalypse will magically be all better once a pair of people manage to cross the continent?

Seriously, that cracks me up.

And again, everyone who doesn’t get it should really listen to the official podcast. Some of you might actually get a clue from it.
??? I don’t think you understood what I was saying, maybe I should do a podcast explaining how survival works… going to great lengths seeking vengeance works on a video game and an dumb action movie so that is pretty self explanatory.

There’s even an YouTube video of Neil explaining that his inicial idea of someone crossing the country to seek revenge wouldn’t be realist, that is why it was scrapped.

Yet after some years he did it anyway! Let’s see if it works on a tv show.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
??? I don’t think you understood what I was saying, maybe I should do a podcast explaining how survival works… going to great lengths seeking vengeance works on a video game and an dumb action movie so that is pretty self explanatory.

There’s even an YouTube video of Neil explaining that his inicial idea of someone crossing the country to seek revenge wouldn’t be realist, that is why it was scrapped.

I think it will because people have that suspension of belief. It's still fiction anyway.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I think it will because people have that suspension of belief. It's still fiction anyway.
Yeah maybe but can notice how vengeance is an occurring theme in the last of us and I kinda wished they used other themes.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
How has the overall series been to this point?

I havent watched anything but a few clips. Just in broad strokes has it improved or gotten worse? Or is it about the same level through?

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Yeah maybe but can notice how vengeance is an occurring theme in the last of us and I kinda wished they used other themes.
Mainstream media is severely lacking a really good revenge story tbh and TLOUII does it very well, it's clearly based on The Count of Monte Cristo and the ending mirrors the book well.
Y'all should read it, tbh, one of the best books of all time.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

In TLoU 2 they don't cross the country (however they seemed to be able to go back from Jackson to Seattle as they saw fit during some flashback, which would be a pretty big risk just to check on stuff in the hospital).

However, they still travel insane distances, but they remain near the west.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
In TLoU 2 they don't cross the country (however they seemed to be able to go back from Jackson to Seattle as they saw fit during some flashback, which would be a pretty big risk just to check on stuff in the hospital).

However, they still travel insane distances, but they remain near the west.
You just shattered my suspension of disbelief in the apocalypse!

How DARE you!?!?!

🤪

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How has the overall series been to this point?

I havent watched anything but a few clips. Just in broad strokes has it improved or gotten worse? Or is it about the same level through?
As someone who's been more critical of the show than most, I'd give it an 8.5/10 right now, and if the last episode nails it could move it up to a 9 or maybe better depending on how good (also could drop if it sucks). There have been high points and low points throughout...some episodes are directed better than others. First 3 episodes are 9.5-10/10, episode 4 was kinda weak, episode 5 was great, episode 6 was good, episode 7 was... good, i mean it was excellent at adapting the dlc but I have an issue with the structure of the episode. Episode 8 brought it back up to great. I think if the pacing was a little more even, addressed my issues with lack of zombies, and they fixed some of the episode structures it could be a 10/10 show like the game was a 10/10 game but I think it just comes in below that.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Episode 8 was incredible and showed how runtime is not a problem

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
buddy boy

ChaXgrCjXGoNJt2r3i9c3o.jpg