The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
As someone who's been more critical of the show than most, I'd give it an 8.5/10 right now, and if the last episode nails it could move it up to a 9 or maybe better depending on how good (also could drop if it sucks). There have been high points and low points throughout...some episodes are directed better than others. First 3 episodes are 9.5-10/10, episode 4 was kinda weak, episode 5 was great, episode 6 was good, episode 7 was... good, i mean it was excellent at adapting the dlc but I have an issue with the structure of the episode. Episode 8 brought it back up to great. I think if the pacing was a little more even, addressed my issues with lack of zombies, and they fixed some of the episode structures it could be a 10/10 show like the game was a 10/10 game but I think it just comes in below that.

Oh wow, that's very positive indeed..... I had been hearing the complaints you outlined in my previous inquiries. But I guess they had to differentiate themselves from TWD too.

The focus on drama is like a statement of legitimacy too I guess which also makes it very different from the games. A different perspective.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Oh wow, that's very positive indeed..... I had been hearing the complaints you outlined in my previous inquiries. But I guess they had to differentiate themselves from TWD too.

The focus on drama is like a statement of legitimacy too I guess which also makes it very different from the games. A different perspective.
The games were more about the drama than the action in the first place, so all the criticism about the level of action is really missing what the point of The Last of Us has always been.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Oh yeah. All the complaints I have are because I am comparing it to one of the best pieces of storytelling media of all time (the game) - I brought up complaints because I want the show to also be that. Just because I have those complaints don't mean I hate the show, rather I see all the ways that could have taken it from really good to all time great.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
buddy boy

ChaXgrCjXGoNJt2r3i9c3o.jpg
He seems like a helpful guy, I'd go with him.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I think its more of a age issue. Bella in real life is 19, and in last of us part 2 its 5 years since the first game. My issue is Bella looks sounds way too young to play a 19-20 year old Ellie. And in my opinion in part 2 she looks much older.

They probably will stick with Bella though.
She is still a young adult with a baby face. Probably a bit chubby to give her that younger look too in Part 1.

All she needs to do is hit the gym and get quite lean for part 2 to fit the look of an older Ellie

Also makeup and direction are a thing. She did a short film where she already looks the part

images (1) (9).jpeg

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
She is still a young adult with a baby face. Probably a bit chubby to give her that younger look too in Part 1.

All she needs to do is hit the gym and get quite lean for part 2 to fit the look of an older Ellie

Also makeup and direction are a thing. She did a short film where she already looks the part

View attachment 740
Screenshot 2023-03-06 233735.jpg
Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
‘The Last of Us’ Episode 8 Hits Series High of 8.1 Million Viewers, Up 74% From Season Premiere

The penultimate episode of “The Last of Us” Season 1 reached an impressive 8.1 million viewers on Sunday night.

According to Warner Bros. Discovery, that makes Episode 8 the series’ most viewed thus far. Previously, that title belonged to Episode 4 with 7.5 million viewers, though WBD did not make data available regarding the audience size of Episodes 5-7.

These figures point to linear viewership on HBO’s cable platform combined with streams on HBO Max through each episode’s premiere night. The 8.1 million viewers who tuned into Episode 8, titled “When We Are In Need,” contributed to a 74% increase from the viewership of the series premiere, which drew an audience of 4.7 million people.

Adapted from the popular PlayStation games of the same name, “The Last of Us” was an instant success for HBO when it premiered in January. Those 4.7 million initial viewers scored the network its second-most watched debut in over a decade — only behind “Game of Thrones” prequel series “House of the Dragon.” The series then built on that launch with 5.7 million viewers of its next installment, HBO’s largest ever increase between a launch and a second episode, leading to an early Season 2 renewal. And alongside reaching another then-series high of 6.4, Episode 3 received major acclaim from critics and fans alike for the guest performances of Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett, jumpstarting conversations about awards potential for the actors and the show as a whole.

Given the show’s continually growing audience, “The Last of Us” looks likely to hit yet another series high with Episode 9, which will be its Season 1 finale. Though it may lose some viewers to the 95th Oscars ceremony, which will air on ABC when the episode debuts on HBO and HBO Max, that won’t necessarily stop its momentum. It should be noted that when Episode 4 racked up its solid 7.4 million viewers, it premiered in competition with the Grammys.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I wonder if the haters will be crying about tha season online for as long as they’ve been crying about TLOU Part II.

Probably.

Maybe even longer.

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
They seem to have reinterpreted David a little bit. In the game, the entire group of cannibals were twisted and "in on it." Based on enemy dialogue in the game, it seemed like they had elected David as their leader and were unsatisfied with his performance (they mention "We should have a town meeting and vote David out" or something like that). They were also aware/semi-okay with his pedophilia, because one of the goons refers to Ellie as "David's newest pet." There's also no explicit hint that he's a preacher IIRC.

In the show, he's more of an unhinged groomer/cult leader who rules a group of otherwise normal people through fear and manipulation.

I think this interpretation works for the show. The idea of David as a middle school teacher before the outbreak is also nightmare fuel.

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
David mentions having to move around the country a lot. I wonder if that's because he kills members of his group(s) when they become too difficult to control or outlive their usefulness.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They seem to have reinterpreted David a little bit. In the game, the entire group of cannibals were twisted and "in on it." Based on enemy dialogue in the game, it seemed like they had elected David as their leader and were unsatisfied with his performance (they mention "We should have a town meeting and vote David out" or something like that).

I think they are still dissatisfied with David, but it does seem like he has a lot more control than in the game.

In the show, he's more of an unhinged groomer/cult leader who rules a group of otherwise normal people through fear and manipulation.

Yeah

I think this interpretation works for the show. The idea of David as a middle school teacher before the outbreak is also nightmare fuel.

Agreed. And Bella was absolutely incredible throughout the whole episode.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think its more of a age issue. Bella in real life is 19, and in last of us part 2 its 5 years since the first game. My issue is Bella looks sounds way too young to play a 19-20 year old Ellie. And in my opinion in part 2 she looks much older.

They probably will stick with Bella though.

Wanted to come back to this since I read it the other day. I don't think it will be a problem to have Bella look "older" in the second game. She wore a chest binder on this series, and the clothing choice (baggy clothes) was obviously designed to have her look younger overall. Also make up is a huge part. She already looks 19 or 20 in real life appearances:

maxresdefault.jpg

sub-buzz-7902-1673712303-1.jpg

I'm actually more concerned about Joel's age in the second season. Joel was 51 on the first game and 56 on the second one, however in the series he's already 56. Pedro does not look 56 at all, especially considering the post-apocalyptic nature of the show. If we get a 5 year timeskip, it may be very hard to have him look like he's in his 60s.

Reactions: Papacheeks

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Wanted to come back to this since I read it the other day. I don't think it will be a problem to have Bella look "older" in the second game. She wore a chest binder on this series, and the clothing choice (baggy clothes) was obviously designed to have her look younger overall. Also make up is a huge part. She already looks 19 or 20 in real life appearances:

maxresdefault.jpg

sub-buzz-7902-1673712303-1.jpg

I'm actually more concerned about Joel's age in the second season. Joel was 51 on the first game and 56 on the second one, however in the series he's already 56. Pedro does not look 56 at all, especially considering the post-apocalyptic nature of the show. If we get a 5 year timeskip, it may be very hard to have him look like he's in his 60s.
They haven't said his age in the show, have they?

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Make-up and filters, nowadays they can make an actor look younger or older. Of course the results varies depending on the budget.
They used it on episode 3. Tess, Joel, Bill…

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It'll be pretty easy to make Joel look older with makeup. I don't think it'll be an issue. Gonna be interesting to see what they do with Bella though.