The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Oh boy I think I know where they're going with the show, and they're going to break what was primarily Joel and Ellie traveling across the country into a series of vignettes with a broader interpretation of "The Last of Us" as applying to showing more perspectives of all the varying groups of surviving humans. It could be an interesting change, I'm gonna withhold my judgement. If this is the case it's gonna recontextualize where they go with the 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
When I first read that Nick Offerman was playing Bill, I figured he'd be perfect. I never expected them to flesh the character out so amazingly and tell a beautiful story about two human beings where Bill grew and changed and was a three-dimensional character rather than being a one-dimensional plot device like in the game.

I seriously think Offerman should be in Emmy contention for that performance.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
When I first read that Nick Offerman was playing Bill, I figured he'd be perfect. I never expected them to flesh the character out so amazingly and tell a beautiful story about two human beings where Bill grew and changed and was a three-dimensional character rather than being a one-dimensional plot device like in the game.

I seriously think Offerman should be in Emmy contention for that performance.
10/10 his performance. incredible stuff..

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Oh boy I think I know where they're going with the show, and they're going to break what was primarily Joel and Ellie traveling across the country into a series of vignettes with a broader interpretation of "The Last of Us" as applying to showing more perspectives of all the varying groups of surviving humans. It could be an interesting change, I'm gonna withhold my judgement. If this is the case it's gonna recontextualize where they go with the 2nd and 3rd seasons.
Pretty sure they'll introduce Abby this season, or at least they'll flesh her father out more.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
The episode was great. Imho this is the type of world building and side character stories that the first game was really missing. I’ll be interested in seeing how many snowflakes were fine with watching kids be murdered and gory deaths but were turned away by two dudes making out

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

The way people have received this show is a bit surreal. The talk shows are clearly demanding to have TLOU guests on now

Had a good feeling it would be a hit but I am sure how big it is getting is beyond anyone's expectations

Takes me back to when TLOU took gaming by storm and it really felt like something different, or when Game of Thrones was first emerging and you could feel the fanbase and quality increasing episode by episode

Neil Druckmann just doesn't miss

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

The way people have received this show is a bit surreal. The talk shows are clearly demanding to have TLOU guests on now

Had a good feeling it would be a hit but I am sure how big it is getting is beyond anyone's expectations

Takes me back to when TLOU took gaming by storm and it really felt like something different, or when Game of Thrones was first emerging and you could feel the fanbase and quality increasing episode by episode

Neil Druckmann just doesn't miss
Yeah, and it was so unexpected having a happy gay story in a sad sad world that really took the world by storm

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, and it was so unexpected having a happy gay story in a sad sad world that really took the world by storm
That’s the thing, it wasn’t a gay story, it was a human story. That’s why it’s getting so much praise.

Compare that episode to almost anything else showing a relationship between two same-sex characters in current media. None of it was designed to “piss off the straights” like hack showrunners like Greg Berlanti love to do by turning long-standing characters into degenerate gay caricatures.

It’s not always what the story is as much as it is how you tell it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Episode was way too faithful to the game.
People that whined that Ellie and Joel weren’t having enough screen time and that their relationship wasn’t developing are looking like clowns right now.
Good episode overall but the weakest of them until now.