The Last Of Us HBO TV Show |OT| Discussion (Spoilers)

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The fourth episode to me was good, some friendly chat between Joel and Ellie,

Not too sure when they drove their vehicle into the woods, the grass on the outside field looked like it had been cut with a lawn mower it was so pristine.

Do they add the buffalos to say that was the reason for it.

Ellie- how about making a Fire? you are cold.
Joel- no it will be seen by people
10 mins later, Ellie turns off a bright lantern and then proceeds to read a comic book with a torch.

good episode bar the leader of the gang, voice sounds like she should be in Airplane.

scared Julie Hagerty GIF

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The fourth episode to me was good, some friendly chat between Joel and Ellie,

Not too sure when they drove their vehicle into the woods, the grass on the outside field looked like it had been cut with a lawn mower it was so pristine.

Do they add the buffalos to say that was the reason for it.

Ellie- how about making a Fire? you are cold.
Joel- no it will be seen by people
10 mins later, Ellie turns off a bright lantern and then proceeds to read a comic book with a torch.

good episode bar the leader of the gang, voice sounds like she should be in Airplane.

scared Julie Hagerty GIF
A lantern can’t be seen from miles away, smoke from a fire can.

Was it just me or was it a really odd couple of editing choices when Ellie shot the guy choking out Joel? It's a close up on her, she fires, then it cuts to a closer up face shot and Joel's then to the left gasping and - strangest for me - the stranger is on his back to the right but with no sense of movement or scuffle or bleeding. It feels like we missed a second, somewhere. I get a choice to focus on Ellie's expression as she realizes what she's done but it plays out very awkwardly.

Even after Joel stabs the guy and he's brought back to his settlement he's not bloodied, really? It also kept striking me as odd that the big "I have to do violence" moment in a show that clearly has no problem with onscreen violence and detailed gore was shot with strange discretion and kept almost completely bloodless.

I feel like there's a directorial intent somewhere that's getting lost.

Also, a lot was condensed to the point that it almost feels comedic knowing the source material. Like, between the "tourist trap" truck crash and the "Ellie saves Joel from getting choked out" moments there's a whole series of sequences of both exploration and action. You travel a good way, do some problem solving, some climbing and end up a few floors off the ground several blocks away when Joel is jumped and strangled.

Here it happens in the same room moments after the crash and a couple really nice little combat sandboxes get distilled down to, like, 3 guys and a couple shots from cover, which is weird because they still go out of their way to show that the locals are a relatively large and organized force.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Was it just me or was it a really odd couple of editing choices when Ellie shot the guy choking out Joel? It's a close up on her, she fires, then it cuts to a closer up face shot and Joel's then to the left gasping and - strangest for me - the stranger is on his back to the right but with no sense of movement or scuffle or bleeding. It feels like we missed a second, somewhere. I get a choice to focus on Ellie's expression as she realizes what she's done but it plays out very awkwardly.

Even after Joel stabs the guy and he's brought back to his settlement he's not bloodied, really? It also kept striking me as odd that the big "I have to do violence" moment in a show that clearly has no problem with onscreen violence and detailed gore was shot with strange discretion and kept almost completely bloodless.

I feel like there's a directorial intent somewhere that's getting lost.

Also, a lot was condensed to the point that it almost feels comedic knowing the source material. Like, between the "tourist trap" truck crash and the "Ellie saves Joel from getting choked out" moments there's a whole series of sequences of both exploration and action. You travel a good way, do some problem solving, some climbing and end up a few floors off the ground several blocks away when Joel is jumped and strangled.

Here it happens in the same room moments after the crash and a couple really nice little combat sandboxes get distilled down to, like, 3 guys and a couple shots from cover, which is weird because they still go out of their way to show that the locals are a relatively large and organized force.

That's why I get annoyed with people saying stuff like 'just make a movie instead of a game' when referring to TLOU and indeed calling games like TLOU 'movie games'....

A movie and even a longer form streaming show could never give you the freedom and time to engage with the characters the way that you want to, to focus on what makes you connect with them and slow down where you feel you want to spend more time.
Even when Cory was talking about a no-cut game, there was a strong point to that.

The game will always be the full experience, the superior experience and the original vision, no matter how excellent the show might be and the heights it might reach.

I also think some of the editing is just to make it marketing friendly, so it can go viral or be included in some way in streams/ reactions etc.
There's so much to consider nowadays with social media etc.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Watching it now and wondering if it’ll be some kind of outrage because Sam is deaf in the snow… 🤔

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
People that were saying Kathleen were miscast are looking like clowns.
Every single criticism this show is getting is squashed on the next episode.
Hilarious.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
This episode basically set up the second game in the sense that revenge fucks everything up. If Kathleen hadn’t sought revenge, nothing would’ve happened

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Great episode!
Seeing Sam and Henry die hurt all over again
And the the bloater was handled well, even if it doesn't throw acid spores like the game.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I just saw the episode 5, there’s a scene where they had to use slow motion for a few seconds, that cheapens everything and I can tell how badly filmed it was.

I hate villains monologues and villains who die from quick “surprise” attack when they had the chance to kill the hero’s. So yeah, the only thing that saved this episode was Sam.

Bad editing, and what they added new on the show was clichés and tropes. The show is starting to look very uninspired and amateurish/low budget. Once again the revenge theme.

But that’s me, I’m usually very harsh on things and I had classes in editing and filming so I notice things most people wouldn’t.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I just saw the episode 5, there’s a scene where they had to use slow motion for a few seconds, that cheapens everything and I can tell how badly filmed it was.

I hate villains monologues and villains who die from quick “surprise” attack when they had the chance to kill the hero’s. So yeah, the only thing that saved this episode was Sam.

Bad editing, and what they added new on the show was clichés and tropes. The show is starting to look very uninspired and amateurish/low budget. Once again the revenge theme.

But that’s me, I’m usually very harsh on things and I had classes in editing and filming so I notice things most people wouldn’t.
The revenge theme, as I said before, was foretelling. Since this will be season 2 theme.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
The revenge theme, as I said before, was foretelling. Since this will be season 2 theme.
Nah I think it’s an easy way to make a story with action - make a character follow someone in an apocalypse and make them do dumb things for selfish revenge.

Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
This is going to sound stupid as fuck but as much I love The Last of Us I refuse to watch the show because of Bella Ramsay. I played through the game probably 5 times and platinumed it twice.

Her face passes off, her acting is not that good and she nowhere near resembles Ellie. What a fucking insult to the fanbase. I am glad its doing well but a big fat FUCK YOU to whoever made the final decision to cast Bella Remsey as Ellie. You are a fuckinlovoserr, and if I were your boss you'd be fired for even suggesting such an atrocious idea.

OP
OP
Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
This is going to sound stupid as fuck but as much I love The Last of Us I refuse to watch the show because of Bella Ramsay. I played through the game probably 5 times and platinumed it twice.

Her face passes off, her acting is not that good and she nowhere near resembles Ellie. What a fucking insult to the fanbase. I am glad its doing well but a big fat FUCK YOU to whoever made the final decision to cast Bella Remsey as Ellie. You are a fuckinlovoserr, and if I were your boss you'd be fired for even suggesting such an atrocious idea.
Pedro Pascal doesn't resemble Joel either, to the point he isn't even american, he's Chilean... why doesn't this bother you but Bella does? Bella acts just like Ellie does, dude.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty