The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer | PS5 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The ones who are saying this remake looks better than TLOU 2 or that it boasts tech that doesn’t run on PS4 are lying to themselves.

It literally looks worse than TLOU 2 I would say, they may have increased shadow draw distances, sharper shadows, a bit better textures filtering, but that’s it, I’d argue it looks worse in terms overall scene geometry & worse vegetation in many scenes.

Not one scene they’ve shown looks as good as TLOU 2 in general, not one! @Theap99 is right.

Examples:

QjmjFYT.jpg

0tlvRcG.jpg

CrVMgVQ.jpg

***LOGS OFF ICON ERA*** 🤣🤣
Yeah what they shown so far doesn’t look better than part 2.

Edit. Btw great video summarising the state of the industry.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t think enough people will voice their disappointment if that happened as Factions 2 will be a new game, not like TLOU Remake which doesn’t even have the gameplay of TLOU 2 that was executed on a last-gen hardware PS4.

I’m one of the biggest TLOU fans you’ll find and I’m here voicing my disappointment towards this remake, especially at $70, if it was at $50 also with a discount offer for those who own TLOU Remastered and/or TLOU 2, I wouldn’t have as much problem with it.
Their biggest error was try to sell that as a remake when it is cleary not a remake but a port or remaster with better graphics.

Just remember that nobody cried about Uncharted PS5 release because they set the expectation where it was.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
Their biggest error was try to sell that as a remake when it is cleary not a remake but a port or remaster with better graphics.

Just remember that nobody cried about Uncharted PS5 release because they set the expectation where it was.
Remakes are typically just better graphics and different aesthetics though

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022

A game remade on a new engine is not a remake? Biggest error? You assume that a few people (that likely wouldn't buy the game anyway) getting mad affects Sony in any way, when It's going to sell a lot better with the current marketing than it would sell if they were just falsely marketing it as a remaster (something that it clearly isn't).

I assume you also must have a problem with Halo, Gears, SotC, Demon's Souls remakes correct? Since all of them have even less changes than this one.

You mention the Uncharted Legacy of Thieves as a positive but the fact that it didn't get much attention is not a good thing at all. The way they are handling this is setting TLoU to have a lot more success on PC than Uncharted as well, people will actually be introduced to the series with a very up to date version of the first game while on Uncharted they are thrown into the forth game of the series without a way to play the first 3 games.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Remakes are typically just better graphics and different aesthetics though
I disagree Remakes are know to be a remake from original.
Remasters are know to just better graphics and different aesthetics… the core game is unchanged.

Why do you think REmake is considered the standard in the industry? Because the changes goes from core game until better graphics… it is a different game.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I disagree Remakes are know to be a remake from original.
Remasters are know to just better graphics and different aesthetics… the core game is unchanged.

Why do you think REmake is considered the standard in the industry? Because the changes goes from core game until better graphics… it is a different game.
Games like Resident Evil 2 remake are outliers. Most remakes are just bringing the graphics up to what the current tech can do

Remasters are usually just resolution and framerate increases

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Games like Resident Evil 2 remake are outliers. Most remakes are just bringing the graphics up to what the current tech can do

IMO if there are no core game changes than it is just a remaster.
Because a remaster is just that bring graphics to what the current tech can do… the core game… the core gameplay is untouched in remasters.

Remake you rebuild the core game including the core gameplay.

REMASTER: “The most basic way to explain what a remaster is; is that the remastered version is a revamped version of the older game. While adding new content to a video game remaster is not mandatory, the touched-up version can sometimes receive additional in-game content.

In addition, video game remasters typically mean classic video games with repainted visuals and in-game mechanics. Also, the in-game mechanics are optimized for the current generation of platforms the classic remaster is launching for.”

REMAKE: “As opposed to a remaster, a remake is a modern version of a classic video game rebuilt from scratch. Video game remakes make sure the game runs on the latest consoles or PCs. In addition, video game remakes are games reborn with entirely different elements; however, staying true to the original game.

In a video game remake, the gameplay is bound to change, with different elements added to the gameplay and the game’s environment, sometimes even new characters. However, as with video game remasters, remakes are altered up to the point that the game remains true to the original.”

Using a Remaster as Remake is just that… a marketing push to sell your game.

Unchartered: Legacy of Thieves, The Last of Us Part 1 are essentially remasters.
REmake 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake (the name was not choose due it being a remake it is story related… that is why the second part is called Rebirth) are remakes.

TL;DR version… TLOU Part 1 is a graphical repaint of PS3 classic to PS5/PC… the very very definition of remaster.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It’s been weeks and I still can’t see the problem with all this… just don’t… buy the game, people.
There is no problem at all… the game is a nice release… it just some guys expected a remake of the game but that is fine too.

The game aims at new audiences… people that never played it like the new watchers of the TV show will bring and eventually PCMR users on PC.

For people that played the others version it is just not enough to play again… after all it lacks the most replay value of the previous versions the MP Factions.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I don’t think enough people will voice their disappointment if that happened as Factions 2 will be a new game, not like TLOU Remake which doesn’t even have the gameplay of TLOU 2 that was executed on a last-gen hardware PS4.

I’m one of the biggest TLOU fans you’ll find and I’m here voicing my disappointment towards this remake, especially at $70, if it was at $50 also with a discount offer for those who own TLOU Remastered and/or TLOU 2, I wouldn’t have as much problem with it.
It shouldn't be £70 imo, and it's another example of Sony getting greedy.

But it what it is, and people like me should either wait for the price to come down, or just buy the PS4 remaster.

Reactions: LED

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
How is it even possible one generation later to vastly improve a late PS3 game which should have been a launch PS4 game. Especially with diminishing returns.

Personally the issue with the remake isn't the quality but the simple fact it didn't need a remake. Demons Souls needed it. RE2 needed it.

I see the same issue with Dead Space Remake.

Sony and Naughty Dog only have themselves to blame. Coupled that with the fact they are charging full price for it is suicidal.

Gamers on the other hand have a choice not to buy it. It is NOT a cash grab cause you aren't being forced to buy it. Get the OG PS3 version or the PS4 remaster if you are keen on playing it.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

Yes! I recall having that argument with people, it's fine to do ports... Just don't misrepresent what is actually being done.

What we get this time around is a remake...

Reactions: Hobbygaming

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
IMO if there are no core game changes than it is just a remaster.
Because a remaster is just that bring graphics to what the current tech can do… the core game… the core gameplay is untouched in remasters.

Remake you rebuild the core game including the core gameplay.

REMASTER: “The most basic way to explain what a remaster is; is that the remastered version is a revamped version of the older game. While adding new content to a video game remaster is not mandatory, the touched-up version can sometimes receive additional in-game content.

In addition, video game remasters typically mean classic video games with repainted visuals and in-game mechanics. Also, the in-game mechanics are optimized for the current generation of platforms the classic remaster is launching for.”

REMAKE: “As opposed to a remaster, a remake is a modern version of a classic video game rebuilt from scratch. Video game remakes make sure the game runs on the latest consoles or PCs. In addition, video game remakes are games reborn with entirely different elements; however, staying true to the original game.

In a video game remake, the gameplay is bound to change, with different elements added to the gameplay and the game’s environment, sometimes even new characters. However, as with video game remasters, remakes are altered up to the point that the game remains true to the original.”

Using a Remaster as Remake is just that… a marketing push to sell your game.

Unchartered: Legacy of Thieves, The Last of Us Part 1 are essentially remasters.
REmake 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake (the name was not choose due it being a remake it is story related… that is why the second part is called Rebirth) are remakes.

TL;DR version… TLOU Part 1 is a graphical repaint of PS3 classic to PS5/PC… the very very definition of remaster.
This isn't true at all. As I said Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are outliers. Demon Souls is a remake which didn't change much other than the aesthetics and visuals, it's the same with Shadow of the Colossus. We never questioned whether they were remasters or remakes, it's clear that they are remakes

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This isn't true at all. As I said Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 are outliers. Demon Souls is a remake which didn't change much other than the aesthetics and visuals, it's the same with Shadow of the Colossus. We never questioned whether they were remasters or remakes, it's clear that they are remakes
Demon’s feels to me more like a remaster.. I even said that at GAF that they tried to sell it as a remake and it could work because very few gamers played the original (the US print was just 900k copies and nobody could find the game anymore to play… it precise gone ridiculous on GameStop at time).

Demon’s Souls 2020 is basically the only way most fans and gamers played Demon’s Souls.

Now TLOU is a game played by a lot of gamers and the issue to sell it like a remake will be pretty evident.

And it deserved a remake.

IMO both games should not be sold as a Remake but the issue will be more apparent with TLOU Part 1.

• haha

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Difference between them is TLOU is basically a late PS3 game which should have been a launch PS4 game.

You are not gonna see much difference when remaking a game which is only around a generation old because of diminishing returns.

It didn’t need a remake in my opinion just yet.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Maybe there should be a third moniker for when the 'remade' game is neither a remaster or a remake?, the reimagined perhaps?. FF7r is neither remake or remaster, and neither is RE2 2019, due to it being significantly different from the original, not just in terms of assets. But yes I agree with most on here, that a game is a Remake, if it's assets have been remade, rather than simply upscaled, or retextured, other details such as story or perspective should remain as close to the original as possible to be considered a remake.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Maybe there should be a third moniker for when the 'remade' game is neither a remaster or a remake?, the reimagined perhaps?. FF7r is neither remake or remaster, and neither is RE2 2019, due to it being significantly different from the original, not just in terms of assets. But yes I agree with most on here, that a game is a Remake, if it's assets have been remade, rather than simply upscaled, or retextured, other details such as story or perspective should remain as close to the original as possible to be considered a remake.
I dunno why some people have a hard time understanding all these words/concepts. They are pretty self-explanatory.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t know.
Maybe a definition for what TLOU Part 1 is… because it is not a Remake.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are remakes… one good and the other bad but they are remakes.

FFVIIR is well different because it is a sequel imo… it tells the events after the movie Advent Children and the novels Black and White.

TLOU Part 1 is at core a remaster… it is the same game, the same core mechanics, the same gameplay… with better graphics.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

exactly, remasters is basically one tier higher than re-release. remaster bumps up resolution and fps most of the time, can add little bit better shadows, pretty much it.
remake is overhaul of graphics to today's standards. sound too. can add weapons, missions too. can update controls and gameplay.
plus reimagine it is like what FF7R basically did.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I don’t know.
Maybe a definition for what TLOU Part 1 is… because it is not a Remake.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are remakes… one good and the other bad but they are remakes.

FFVIIR is well different because it is a sequel imo… it feels the events after the movie Advent Children and the novels Black and White.

TLOU Part 1 is at core a remaster… it is the same game, the same core mechanics, the same gameplay… with better graphics.
TLOU 1 is definitively a remake. The issue is the "diminishing returns" of the graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.