The Last of Us PC port heavily criticised for poor performance

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
We are done here.
So not a remake like I said.
But I understand how marketing tricked you guys to believe so.

Just because you have the intelligence of a carrot and write like Tarzan doesn't make you right. Go back to the cave you came from.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
@ethomaz What's odd is from what I've gathered you and I agree that Sony's PC port strategy has been a failure. So i'm not sure why you chose to debate with me about the length it took for Miles Morales and Part 1 to be ported (still 2 years no matter what mental gymnastics you're doing), when it doesn't change the fact that those games should not have been available to PC so soon.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
@ethomaz What's odd is from what I've gathered you and I agree that Sony's PC port strategy has been a failure. So i'm not sure why you chose to debate with me about the length it took for Miles Morales and Part 1 to be ported (still 2 years no matter what mental gymnastics you're doing), when it doesn't change the fact that those games should not have been available to PC so soon.
I just pointed that both your examples where released on PC with over 2 years of originals when your post let to understand they released with less than 2 years (your own words).

The only examples are Returnal and Sackboy Big Advanture… these were indeed released before 2 years.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just because you have the intelligence of a carrot and write like Tarzan doesn't make you right. Go back to the cave you came from.
I’m right not because my intelligence or anything you think about me (that is irrelevant and just shows the lack of discussion points)… I’m right because the game tell themselves 🤷‍♂️

Except for the graphical and framerate upgrade the game is still the same… same scenes, same gameplay, same puzzles, same environments, etc etc etc.

I even said that it could have a remake if they changed the gameplay to be like TLOU2 but they choose to maintain the gameplay unchanged.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I even said that it could have a remake if they changed the gameplay to be like TLOU2 but they choose to maintain the gameplay unchanged
Wrong. By your own definition, you concede it is a remake, then.

Here is a short overview of the gameplay changes:
  • Moving and shooting have been completely overhauled, to create a hybrid between the original and Part 2
  • Tons of animations have been redone, i.e. to create more impact, make stealth smoother etc.
  • Level design has been changed at points
  • AI behavior has been overhauled, making enemies more aggressive and NPCs more realistic
  • Bow mechanics have been overhauled
  • Environments are more reactive, with more destruction introduced

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I just pointed that both your examples where released on PC with over 2 years of originals when your post let to understand they released with less than 2 years (your own words).

The only examples are Returnal and Sackboy Big Advanture… these were indeed released before 2 years.
I'm not going to talk in circles with you since it's already been explained multiple times, but Miles Morales and Part 1 were ported within 2 years. The Nvidia leak also mentioned Ratchet and clank and horizon, so if Sony proceeds with porting those games within the next year it basically tells PC players that any PS5 game released this gen they can expect to get not long after.

• they're_right_you_know

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
To be fair to ethomaz even though he's dead wrong and TLoU p1 is by definition a REMAKE, I think it going to PC so quickly is a one-off and the timing is due to coinciding with the HBO show.

• brain

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm not going to talk in circles with you since it's already been explained multiple times, but Miles Morales and Part 1 were ported within 2 years. The Nvidia leak also mentioned Ratchet and clank and horizon, so if Sony proceeds with porting those games within the next year it basically tells PC players that any PS5 game released this gen they can expect to get not long after.
If Racket and HFW are ported it needs to know when the release date is to say if it is over or less than 2 years.

TLOU and Miles Morales released on PC after 2 years of the originals.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
To be fair to ethomaz even though he's dead wrong and TLoU p1 is by definition a REMAKE, I think it going to PC so quickly is a one-off and the timing is due to coinciding with the HBO show.
Yeap they rushed it… needed at minimum more 6 months working to port it to PC.

The fact that in the last 24 hours they posted 2 patches that doesn’t fix 1% of the game issues tells you that.

They are doing QA now with actual gamers instead in-house before release.

That is the first time Naughty Dog dropped the ball with the quality of their releases… well Uncharted was not a good port but at least didn’t have 99% of the issues TLOU PC is having.

I’m not blind to Sony or any studio when I have to criticize their issues… in fact I’m even more harsh than when I point issues to Xbox because I care about PlayStation and not Xbox.

PlayStation need to be an example to all others and delivery always the gods (we can’t accept these shit ports or remasters being marketed as remakes… put some work on it to make a great product no matter where)… while others can do what they want or can.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeap they rushed it… needed at minimum more 6 months working to port it to PC.

The fact that in the last 24 hours they posted 2 patches that doesn’t fix 1% of the game issues tells you that.

They are doing QA now with actual gamers instead in-house before release.

That is the first time Naughty Dog dropped the ball with the quality of their releases… well Uncharted was not a good port but at least didn’t have 99% of the issues TLOU PC is havinng

I’m not blind to Sony or any studio when I have to criticize their issues… in fact I’m even more harsh than when I point issues to Xbox because I care about PlayStation and not Xbox.

PlayStation need to be an example to all others and delivery always the gods (we can’t accept these shit ports or remasters being marketed as remakes… put some work on it to make a great product no matter where)… while others can do what they want or can.
Wild that the game released 6 months earlier on the PS5 and yet the PC version still ends up being this mess. This shows that porting a game and developing for multiple platforms is a lot more complicated than most people think.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz and Umar

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Wild that the game released 6 months earlier on the PS5 and yet the PC version still ends up being this mess. This shows that porting a game and developing for multiple platforms is a lot more complicated than most people think.
The complication comes from developing for the console with a completely different memory management. It makes things simple for devs - pc is a different beast with all sorts of things getting in the way. If the game was developed with pc first it would be a much simpler port to console.

Lowest common denominator is real, circle peg fits into a square hole, but not the other way around.

This is the risk I see, in that Sony devs will target pc first and not take advantage of the consoles in the future.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
The complication comes from developing for the console with a completely different memory management. It makes things simple for devs - pc is a different beast with all sorts of things getting in the way. If the game was developed with pc first it would be a much simpler port to console.

Lowest common denominator is real, circle peg fits into a square hole, but not the other way around.

This is the risk I see, in that Sony devs will target pc first and not take advantage of the consoles.
They aren't ever going to "target" PC per-se.. they'll always develop for the console and then shoehorn that into the PC version if/when it comes. The reality is that these games that have been ported so far did not take PC into consideration during the development phase at all, and thus trivial things become problematic. Certain considerations made up front during development could have little to no effect on the console output but massively improve the output on PC.. but those considerations were never made back when these games were.

There was an insider a while back, before many of these games started releasing on PC who said that Sony told their teams internally to consider the PC when developing their PS5 games so that future porting efforts would be much simpler. I think we'll see that, but in the meantime some of these games definitely have issues of optimization and need more work.

Reactions: Shmunter

Calverz

28 Mar 2023
I’m kind of shocked ND would release the game in this state. Personally Iv been getting an annoying headphone glitch which Iv submitted a ticket for. Performance for me has been….ok. The stutters are very distracting but I’m holding off until this patch on Tuesday and see what it does. The game on steam deck is absolutely atrocious. I really hope factions 2 doesn’t have these problems on pc.

• Informative
Reactions: laynelane

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's not entitled to expect a working product when you pay for something.

Last edited by a moderator:

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I’ve been getting mixed reports on whether this was ported to PC by ND in-house or by Iron Galaxy. I’m aware Druckmann made it sound like it was done in-house, but there are reports of the contrary. Is there any definitive word on who did the port?