The Last of Us PC port heavily criticised for poor performance

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Wild that the game released 6 months earlier on the PS5 and yet the PC version still ends up being this mess. This shows that porting a game and developing for multiple platforms is a lot more complicated than most people think.
It was never easy even with unified DevTools like MS did this gen (GDK).
Only hard Xbox fans spread the narrative it was just to change a few config lines lol

Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I’ve been getting mixed reports on whether this was ported to PC by ND in-house or by Iron Galaxy. I’m aware Druckmann made it sound like it was done in-house, but there are reports of the contrary. Is there any definitive word on who did the port?
It was both.

ND engine is not made to be used by outsiders so the core Engine needed ND man power to port and solve issues.
Most tasks were still made by Iron Galaxy.

It is different than for example Decima that was created to be multiplatform and used by external devs… so it has options and documentation to everything.

ND was very clear in a interview they engine is not made to be used by others so they need to help/port themselves.

That don’t mean excuse them from the shit port… they needed more time so just put a better release date.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I’ve been getting mixed reports on whether this was ported to PC by ND in-house or by Iron Galaxy. I’m aware Druckmann made it sound like it was done in-house, but there are reports of the contrary. Is there any definitive word on who did the port?

Dave Lang (founder of Iron Galaxy) mentions in passing that they helped out a little bit on the port.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I’m kind of shocked ND would release the game in this state. Personally Iv been getting an annoying headphone glitch which Iv submitted a ticket for. Performance for me has been….ok. The stutters are very distracting but I’m holding off until this patch on Tuesday and see what it does. The game on steam deck is absolutely atrocious. I really hope factions 2 doesn’t have these problems on pc.

Yeah, I'm a little shocked too. It would seem they need people with more expertise in porting to PC or the willingness to delay release until the game is actually ready.