THE PlayStation Showcase Predictions Thread!

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Possibly a hint that Bend Studios are going to be part of the Sony Showcase stream later this week.
According to Jason Schreier the project of the new IP they are working on got greenlighted in March 2021. I'd say 2 years working on it, a good chunk of it I assume being preproduction, wouldn't be enough to be in a state to show it if they follow the pattern of recent years where they announce the games when they are around a year a half before release.

I wouldn't expect to see Bend showing their game until 2025 or so.

I think the tweet doesn't have any hidden meaning or hint.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
According to Jason Schreier the project of the new IP they are working on got greenlighted in March 2021. I'd say 2 years working on it, a good chunk of it I assume being preproduction, wouldn't be enough to be in a state to show it if they follow the pattern of recent years where they announce the games when they are around a year a half before release.

How long does preproduction last after a pitch? I would've thought they'd have to have at least the core design down

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How long does preproduction last after a pitch? I would've thought they'd have to have at least the core design down
I have no idea, but for this case I estimate before the pitch they may have spent 3 to 6 months and once the pitch got greenlighted from 6 months to a year or a year and a half aprox.

It depends on the case, depends of a lot of things: in a AAA it can range from a few months to a couple years. It depends of the amount of things they have to research, evaluate if would work in the market or not, design, prototype and test. In a case like when EA makes the next FIFA and everything is pretty much the same than in the previous game is very short. It also depends if in the preproduction they want to make a vertical slice and how meaty, different to what they did previously and long it is what they have to test there in the vertical slice.

When they move to a new engine takes longer, when it's a new IP takes longer, when it's a new genre for them takes longer, when it's their fist AAA or open world game takes longer, when it's their first next gen game takes longer, when they have key mechanics pretty complex and different to what they had gets longer.

In this specific game, I think they'll move from UE4 they had in Days Gone to UE5 and that they'll use the main core mechanics from Days Gone but will add on top MP elements and maybe even GaaS stuff, and will have to design a brand new IP with its world, setting, artstyle, story and characters. Maybe also replace the hordes key selling point for another one like very dense cities and maybe some key new mechanic with let's say stealth. I assume that they also had to wait until UE5 released and spend some time doing tests with it. I bet they wanted to make a short vertical slice to test some new UE5 visual stuff, the new world setting, new main character design, and new look and feel, and one or two new main mechanic on top of Days Gone mechanics.

Probably it could have taken them a total of around a year, or a year and a half of preproduction. Having spent like 3 to 6 months from that before sending the pitch with a very small team of only like a dozen people working on it, and then aprox. from 6 months to a year after getting the greenlight with pretty much the whole studio working on the vertical slice. In other case it could have taken less time but they had to wait to UE5 release and also had the lockdowns in the early stages of the preproduction.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022

Schreier was on the warpath in 2020 and 2021 v Sony, after the main Sony leads mocked him on Twitter (Druckmann and Barlog) for being a cunt on Twitter (spoiler: he was) in 2020. The only thing Schreier and Garvin & Ross agreed on was Days Gone 2 was not in production, Schreier claimed they were Naughty Dog's support studio in 2021. That doesn't appear to be the case.

20230522_083306.jpg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Schreier was on the warpath in 2020 and 2021 v Sony, after the main Sony leads mocked him on Twitter (Druckmann and Barlog) for being a cunt on Twitter (spoiler: he was) in 2020. The only thing Schreier and Garvin & Ross agreed on was Days Gone 2 was not in production, Schreier claimed they were Naughty Dog's support studio in 2021. That doesn't appear to be the case.

View attachment 1428
We know that Schreier lied/was wrong there when he said DG2 was in production because it wasn't even pitched to Sony. We also know that Schreier was wrong with Bend fearing being absorved by ND, about Sony cancelling DG2 and Sony focusing only on a few blockbuster established IPs (half of Sony games under development were new IPs, Hermen said they will continue supporting big and small games and both established and very creative/experimental titles, plus we also know Sony is investing hard in small games via PlayStation Indies).

Regarding that they feared being a ND support studio, Jeff and Garvin said that Bend and ND supported each other during decades when needed when they have people free between projects and that they were fine with it because it's an honor to work in great games like the ND ones and also are their friends, and that it's better to do this than to fire people.

Jeff and Schreier agreeded that after DG, Bend did help ND before entering their next -current project. Schreier was right also when saying that their current project is a new IP.

Schreier was either lying about that Naughty Dog North joke, or was told that by a junior ND employee, probably a tester, who doesn't know the very long development relationship between ND and Bend where each studio develops their own games and when have free people help each other. Something that will continue being the case has has been during several generations.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
TLOU Factions
Spiderman 2 (a freebie guess, really)
VR stuff
Trashy 3rd party Fortnite-with a twist that none of us will play and might not even come out.
FF trailer sounds right, but isn't the game fully wheeled out by now?
Bluepoint remaster
Out of left field: Camden
You know, I never did a rundown of how I did, so...

No
Yes
No
No. Lol they did that with a 1st party game instead.
Yes
No
Yes! Out of left field Yes!

• thisistheway
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
  • Opening: Spider-Man 2 gameplay trailer + release date (Q3 2023)
  • FF XVI launch trailer
  • Street Fighter 6 launch trailer
  • Mortal Kombat reboot gameplay reveal teaser trailer (Q3 2023)
  • Ubisoft Avatar trailer + full reveal at Ubi's event (Q3 2023)
  • FF VII Rebirth trailer + release date (Q4 2023)
  • Firewalk's game reveal trailer (Q1 2024)
  • Helldivers 2 reveal trailer (Q2 2024)
  • Bungie's new IP reveal trailer (announced as TBA)
Got these ones right, not bad even if Spider-Man not as opening and Helldivers 2 releases in 2023. Not bad!

• TLOU Online cinematics + gameplay reveal trailer (TBA)
  • Silent Hill The Short Message (shadow drop, available after the show)
  • Silent Hill 2 remake (2024)
  • Little Devil Inside release date trailer (Q4 2023)
  • Slitterhead (2024)
  • Fumito Ueda's next game (2024)
  • PSVR2 section with Firewall Ultra some PSVR1 remasters announced
  • GoT PC port (Q3 2023)
  • Stellar Blade trailer + release date (Q4 2023)
  • Rise of the Ronin (Q3 2024)
  • Wolverine story (cinematics) trailer (Q4 2024, announced as '2024')
  • Ending: Cory's new IP (2024)
I failed with these ones (as I remember regarding VR we only got RE4R). Add here Death Stranding 2, Concord and Marathon gameplay reveals plus a new Spider-Man 2 trailer and you have material for another showcase.