The Pokémon Company statement on Palworld, intend to investigate, take measures. |UP| Nintendo President makes statement, plan to take action.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I hope they get sued so hard they are forced to shut down
Because....? Some of these console war comments really come across as sour grapes. Absolutely certain if it was on PS there wouldn't be such hostility with little proof.

Reactions: Infinity

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Because....? Some of these console war comments really come across as sour grapes. Absolutely certain if it was on PS there wouldn't be such hostility with little proof.
Little proof? Get your eyes checked. The game wouldn't exist if it wasn't "inspired" by Pokemon. From the music, the look, the mechanics, the pals, everything about it is directly lifted from it. You talk as if you were playing Resident Evil or something 😅

hes a console warrior. he can't help it.
Are you seriously going to pretend you'd be posting every tweet, every milestone if it was Steam exclusive? You've been celebrating these tweets like it's some big W for Xbox. We ain't fools 🤣

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
My guess is that they'll look into the game and their lawyers will tell them, yeah, you can file a lawsuit for copyright infringement and whatnot but you won't win and that will be that. It's amazing how much hatred there is for Palworld and Pocket Pair. It all comes across to me as petty, pathetic and jealously because this company has a massive hit on their hands while only having a budget of $7M while other games out there cost hundreds of millions of dollars and most of them flop.

If Palworld was literally a Pokemon rip off, it wouldn't have guns, it would be running at 12FPS, look like a Nintendo 64 game and be one of the most boring and shitty games that you could ever play but it's obviously not any of those things and for whatever reason, people can't seem to handle when a game comes out of nowhere and has major success right off the bat.

Palworld isn't the first game to come out of nowhere and be massively successful and it sure as hell won't be the last game.
Wow what’s with the anger? I don’t like Pokémon at all, but to rip into it like this when the popularity for this game is clearly predicated on tapping into the love for that series sounds like cognitive dissonance to me.

If “Palworld” (even the name is like a description of the Pokémon series) were released with wholly original designs that weren’t based on one of the most popular game series ever created, do you honestly believe it would have sold in the same numbers? I know what the answer is.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If “Palworld” (even the name is like a description of the Pokémon series) were released with wholly original designs that weren’t based on one of the most popular game series ever created, do you honestly believe it would have sold in the same numbers? I know what the answer
Exactly! They are acting as if the indie dev found some magical formula to sell 10 millions copies in 1 week. It's Pokemon, the biggest media franchise on earth. That's all the marketing you need.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Exactly! They are acting as if the indie dev found some magical formula to sell 10 millions copies in 1 week. It's Pokemon, the biggest media franchise on earth. That's all the marketing you need.
Many pokemon like games out there that didn't even come close to palworld success. So you're wrong.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Many pokemon like games out there that didn't even come close to palworld success. So you're wrong.
None of them is as blatant as Palworld. Digimon, Yugioh, Temtem, Dragon Quest monsters, Cassette Beast. You would never mistake them for Pokemon, not even for 1 second. All of them are legit products, not bootleg asset flips made with Unreal.

This is Palword fans when Nintendo wakes up :

🤣🤣🤣

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Little proof? Get your eyes checked. The game wouldn't exist if it wasn't "inspired" by Pokemon. From the music, the look, the mechanics, the pals, everything about it is directly lifted from it. You talk as if you were playing Resident Evil or something 😅
There is nothing wrong, nor illegal, about being inspired by Pokemon. Music being inspired by other music - not illegal. Visual design being inspired by other design - not illegal. You should check out copyright law, because mechanics are not copyrightable. Plenty of games are inspired by Pokemon. I'm sure as soon as you see this image you'll know what game it's inspiring to be - not illegal.

All I am asking for is logical consistency in making these claims instead of devolving into a "Xbox has it so anyone who defends it is pro Xbox!" partisan line.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lord Mittens

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
None of them is as blatant as Palworld. Digimon, Yugioh, Temtem, Dragon Quest monsters, Cassette Beast. You would never mistake them for Pokemon, not even for 1 second. All of them are legit products, not bootleg asset flips made with Unreal.

This is Palword fans when Nintendo wakes up :

🤣🤣🤣

Robopon has earned something resembling cult status over the years, having been published in North America at the time by venerated role-playing game maker Atlus....But make no mistake: the game was as close to a Pokémon clone as you could get, with some inspiration from classic SNES RPG Robotrek thrown in as well. Your character, an Ash Ketchum look-alike canonically named Cody, even starts out in his childhood bedroom, and the sprite and menu designs were almost identical to Nintendo’s monster-catching series. After the brief intro, you meet your grandfather, a Professor Oak-type character who not only gifts Cody his first ever robopon, a rabbit-like fighter named Sunny...As the game progresses, you run into even more borrowed concepts, including catching robots in the wild, evolutions, and an eventual analog to the Elite Four called, no joke, the Elite Eight. You fought by installing software on your robots to give them special attacks, and you powered them up by giving them new mechanical equipment.
Nobody could mistake this as Pokemon, no way. Seriously some people were saying calling them "Pal Spheres" infringed on Pokeball, so I hope Nintendo goes after people using the Elite Eight as a naming scheme.

Last edited:

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Wow what’s with the anger? I don’t like Pokémon at all, but to rip into it like this when the popularity for this game is clearly predicated on tapping into the love for that series sounds like cognitive dissonance to me.

If “Palworld” (even the name is like a description of the Pokémon series) were released with wholly original designs that weren’t based on one of the most popular game series ever created, do you honestly believe it would have sold in the same numbers? I know what the answer is.
This places the onus on the popularity to designs being similar. You really believe it sold 7m copies because the wolf Pal looks like the wolf Pokemon? I think that is a pretty massive leap. Do you think most people can even name the pokemon they're allegedly copying from? Sure, it is popular because it is "Pokemon with guns" in the same way all Pokemon spin offs like TemTem and Casette Beasts have had a following because they attempt to follow a creative lineage. I feel as if the most obvious element to it's success is the fact it's an early acces, open-world survival crafting game - with Pokemon. People love that style of game and they do immensely well, look at Valheim which didn't have it. In fact the design spin that you can kill Pals, butcher them, or capture humans. These are design spins that fall sqaurely into the survival game design instead of Pokemon so I think it would logically follow people are more attracted to the possibility that game presents in that half than the Pokemon component. So sure, people like it because it's like Pokemon but it's certainly not because the designs are ripped straight out of Pokemon.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nobody could mistake this as Pokemon, no way. Seriously some people were saying calling them "Pal Spheres" infringed on Pokeball, so I hope Nintendo goes after people using the Elite Eight as a naming scheme.
It's to obvious the rip off.

Reactions: Diah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I mean… they’ll reskin the game while it’s live if they have to. I don’t see it being shutdown but damn that would be something. By the end of the week they’ll have sold upwards of 10 million and got their foot in the door.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean… they’ll reskin the game while it’s live if they have to. I don’t see it being shutdown but damn that would be something. By the end of the week they’ll have sold upwards of 10 million and got their foot in the door.
At least it reinforces that when gamers really want something Thyll go out in droves to buy it.