The Pokémon Company statement on Palworld, intend to investigate, take measures. |UP| Nintendo President makes statement, plan to take action.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
10 Jan 2024
My sources told me this was raised in the last town hall and CEO said they are investigating the matter very meticulously.

The biggest fear for the pokemon company is to take legal action and loose therfore setting a precedence for any other copycat to have a avenue to exploit the pokemon Brand and I.P.

My source is saying resources are being thrown into exploring all litigation options!

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
My sources told me this was raised in the last town hall and CEO said they are investigating the matter very meticulously.

The biggest fear for the pokemon company is to take legal action and loose therfore setting a precedence for any other copycat to have a avenue to exploit the pokemon Brand and I.P.

My source is saying resources are being thrown into exploring all litigation options!
It's Nintendo thts what they do. You don't need a source for tht. They've already stated they will be pursuing. I guess reinforcement is good but we know the deal..

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
resize
The future of Palworld might be in jeopardy after all. After so long without any repercussions, we believed the monster wrangling game safe, but it seems The Pokémon Company was only biding its time.

The Nintendo president has finally addressed the swirling mass of rumours, confirming that “actions will be taken”.

What these actions entail hasn’t been specified beyond the need to appropriately deal with brands that “infringe our [Nintendo] intellectual property rights”.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
imo attacking Palworld for copyright will backfire and establish a precedent that Palworld's level of 'influence' is legally fine to do.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
i didn't see that, i just saw pokemon fan analysis showing similarities in character design.
I think some might be similar enough to violate copyrights and if a judge agrees they could compel PP to release internal documentation of Pal creation, which might show either ripping of Pokemon models or AI learning off of Pokemon models (a legal grey area.) The actual gameplay is different enough to be safe so in the long run the game will be fine. At most they'll have to update some of the character designs (the lion and the soccer rabit rripoffs, specifically.)

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I think some might be similar enough to violate copyrights and if a judge agrees they could compel PP to release internal documentation of Pal creation, which might show either ripping of Pokemon models or AI learning off of Pokemon models (a legal grey area.) The actual gameplay is different enough to be safe so in the long run the game will be fine. At most they'll have to update some of the character designs (the lion and the soccer rabit rripoffs, specifically.)
it's possible, but i bet Pocket Pair (and maybe MS) already legally vetted it heavily before release. plus there's already enough fluffy digital animal properties (even predating pokemon) that a copyright claim is not straightforward. could be wrong.

if you look at Pocket Pair's Craftopia game, there's a lot of overlap with Pal World's art style:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
The article probably article references this answer by Furukawa:
自社の知的財産権を侵害しているものに対しては、適切な対応を取ることになる

Google translates tell me:
We will take appropriate action against those who infringe on our intellectual property rights.

It's a boilerplate answer that tells you nothing, just that Nintendo is in general is always seeking to protect their IP rights in the courts.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yeona

29 Jul 2023
they have no case. Just like the ftc against MS with ABK. 🤭

But you see, fortunately for Nintendo, they aren't going to court in corporate America against an anarchocapitalist megacorp that has subsisted the past few decades on almost nothing but historically aggressive lobbying.

Also, Japan's Article 18-4 notes that «During the course of the arbitration procedure, an arbitrator shall, without delay, disclose to the parties all the facts that would likely to give rise to doubts as to his/her impartiality or independence».

Which means that the judge couldn't just sit and wait for months and disclose only at the last minute -- after both parties had already spent a good deal of time and resources for the better part of 2 years for discovery -- that they're the mother of a high ranking employee working for one of the parties and thus has a vested interest in ensuring the ongoing prosperity of their corporation, but "is impartial for real just trust".

Just funny factoids!

Anyway. Gonna be honest, I don't expect too much from this. I'm going to predict Pocketpair quietly pushes adjustments to their character designs and that'll resolve the situation. Could be wrong though.