The Verge: Pentiment is set to be the first game to go multiplatform

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
You don't change how you calculate a recession, since the nomenclature for recession means "negative growth" when all is factored in. You may be talking about countries changing what constitutes inflation, which is completely a completely different metric. Additionally, countries in the OECD (like the US, Germany, etc) have pretty much harmonised metrics as to how economic throughput is calculated.

The OECD considers a recession a period of at least two years during which the cumulative output gap reaches at least 2% of GDP, and the output gap is at least 1% for at least one year. Most economic analysts consider a recession to be a period of at least two quarters in a row with negative growth. This is not rocket science.

I'm going to assume you're from the US, because usually Americans are the only ones that say "we" when talking about global definitions. And if you are, you would be wrong.

Since 2018, the US had 1 year where it was in a recession, and that was (obviously) 2020.

More here:

Fair enough.
Fwiw

UK fell into recession in second half of 2023.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Fwiw

UK fell into recession in second half of 2023.

UK =/= the world. We already established that individual examples do not constitute an overall rule, right?

Major economies continue growing:

US - Growing
EU - Growing
JP - Growing
China - Growing

The UK isolated themselves, they are a major economy but are also an exception. They do not confirm anything.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Not very enticing... I'm not even sure I would add those games to my PS+ library if they were there day and date on it.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
UK =/= the world. We already established that individual examples do not constitute an overall rule, right?

US - Growing
EU - Growing
JP - Growing
China - Growing

The UK isolated themselves, they are a major economy but are also an exception. They do not confirm anything.
I think it's naive to believe that the UK, one of the largest economies in the world, tied extensively to trade in Europe, with The City being a major financial hub the western economy, is the only country to go in to recession.

However, without more data it is just an assumption on my part.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024

US - Growing
EU - Growing
JP - Growing
China - Growing

"Japan unexpectedly slips into recession"

Not very unexpectedly, the writing is on the wall.

Btw I'm not trying to get a gotcha or a win here, I'm just saying, things aren't as they seem. What we are told and what the reality is, be it finances, global affairs, or more importantly, video games, are often two different stories.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

"Japan unexpectedly slips into recession"

Not very unexpectedly, the writing is on the wall.

Btw I'm not trying to get a gotcha or a win here, I'm just saying, things aren't as they seem. What we are told and what the reality is, be it finances, global affairs, or more importantly, video games, are often two different stories.

Things are absolutely as they seem, and you keep moving the goal post. It began with "we're in a recession", which is like "who's we", then to "definitions of recession changed", and now it's about finding single examples of recession. Damn, I was wrong about Japan, my whole argument is dead.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Things are absolutely as they seem, and you keep moving the goal post. It began with "we're in a recession", which is like "who's we", then to "definitions of recession changed", and now it's about finding single examples of recession. Damn, I was wrong about Japan, my whole argument is dead.
We, as in the UK.
US just released worse than expected holiday spending. The eurozone will follow.

Things are not as they seem. I don't know where you live, but where I live, work and visit, shit has gone south, quicker than I saw before or during the 90s, 2001 and 2008.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
US just released worse than expected holiday spending. The eurozone will follow.

Today, the U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) reported fourth quarter real gross domestic product (GDP) increased at an annual rate of 3.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2023 exceeding expectations. Growth was in large part due to an increase in Americans making and spending more. In addition, the economy added 2.7 million jobs in 2023.

Things are not as they seem. I don't know where you live, but where I live, work and visit, shit has gone south, quicker than I saw before or during the 90s, 2001 and 2008.

I don't know about 2001, but 2008? No chance in hell, unless you're talking exclusively about the UK.

Edit: it is undeniable that economies are changing growth forecasts considering that we're being squeezed like mad by corporate greed, but no, there's no generalised recession like you said, nobody changed how recessions are calculated (unless that changed in the UK, which i genuinely do not care about), and things are as they are.

In 2008 the eurozone was in a recession. In 2023 and 2024, the eurozone is not in a recession.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
The Verge: Pentiment is set to be the first game to go multiplatform
The thread: Sleepy Brown wannabe Sony Toos his way to the top