The Verge: Pentiment is set to be the first game to go multiplatform

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Huh? Nowhere did I claim piracy went away lol? And physical games dying is something you don't "come back" from. The reality is piracy was on a huge upswing in the early 2000s and it drove physical games into the dirt. Everyone and their mom had a CD-RW drive (and eventually dvd-r) and a collection of burned mp3s and games. The idea that GFWL was a factor at all is laughable, it was barely a thing.
We had physical PC games as late as 2014, but as soon as GFWL died, so did physical games 😂 and you're saying it was barely a thing? 😂🤣 that makes no sense, so it was just a coincidence then?

MS even tied graphics APIs to Windows versions they were always antagonistic to PC while they believed Xbox was going somehwere only when it became clear Xbox failed that they came back with their tail between their legs with awful Xbox store and Gamepass.

Steam is the only store that support Linux so I see no reason to support any other stores, I used to buy games on GoG but they didn't bother with properly supporting Linux.

You seem to be particularly angry at Valve probably because you are able to recognize that they are the biggest threat to Sony, while a shit store like Epic's isn't a threat to anything.

It doesn't seem like you understand my point about PC piracy, it's obviously not dead but Steam emerged as an alternative to it by offering convenience, aggressive deals, regional pricing, that is their entire business model. Valve isn't pro-consumer, they are pro-making money but on PC to beat piracy you need a great store. Sony clearly doesn't get it and shows up with full priced older games that get cracked day 1 and then wonder why it is that a game like Helldivers makes sells better than Spider-man or God of War.
Why would I be angry at Valve? 😂 Half Life and Portal are some of my favorite games ever, the rare occasion I do buy an Xbox game, I buy it through Steam. I've bought over 250 games on Steam. I'm not angry at Valve, I'm just being rational and objective as always. But it seems you're too angry at Microsoft to do the same, but it's ok, not everyone can be on my level 😎 I don't blame you for hating Microsoft, they deserve it, but GFWL was objectively awesome!

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
We had physical PC games as late as 2014, but as soon as GFWL died, so did physical games 😂 and you're saying it was barely a thing? 😂🤣 that makes no sense, so it was just a coincidence then?

Why would I be angry at Valve? 😂 Half Life and Portal are some of my favorite games ever, the rare occasion I do buy an Xbox game, I buy it through Steam. I've bought over 250 games on Steam. I'm not angry at Valve, I'm just being rational and objective as always. But it seems you're too angry at Microsoft to do the same, but it's ok, not everyone can be on my level 😎 I don't blame you for hating Microsoft, they deserve it, but GFWL was objectively awesome!
Did you really play on PC? What is the benefit of physical media when CD-keys were the standard? CD-keys on PC date back to the 90s.

Physical media died quickly on PC because a used games market had been already destroyed long before that so digital became pretty much better in every way.

GFWL was legit trash and you should be embarrassed for defending it.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Did you really play on PC?
Of course I played and still play on PC, since 2002, I was a Runescape fanatic, played that game religiously for over a decade and played games like half life, cs, portal on the side. After Runescape was ruined with several awful updates, I switched to League of Legends and played that game religiously for almost a decade until I was wrongfully permanently banned. All the while still playing other games here and there on PC and consoles. But after I was banned from League in 2019, I pretty much became a single player gamer only.
What is the benefit of physical media when CD-keys were the standard? CD-keys on PC date back to the 90s.
The same benefit that there is on console....real ownership and being able to physically see and touch your games is unparalleled feeling that digital games can never replicate! Which is why if Pentiment and HiFi Rush get physical releases, I'm definitely buying them. Valve says our games will be ours if Steam ever dies, but no one can ever really know if that's true or not until that day comes, and Steam offline mode can really suck at times.
Physical media died quickly on PC because a used games market had been already destroyed long before that so digital became pretty much better in every way.
It didn't die quickly at all, it had over a 30 year lifespan from the big box PC game days to GFWL physical releases. It only died because Steam killed it to protect their monopoly 🤷‍♂️that's the cold hard truth! Whether you want to admit it or not.
GFWL was legit trash and you should be embarrassed for defending it.
It had flaws like everything else in gaming 😂 but it also had its pros. You should be embarrassed for cheering on a monopoly. Also Epic and GOG work on Linux, so saying only Steam does is false!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Bro what
Lol physical games had nothing to do with gfwl, for example the last big game i remember launching physically for pc was diablo 3 (wasnt cracked for years due to battlenet integration), which had nothing to do with gfwl. GtaV also had a physical release for pc, had a shitton of discs. Nothing to do with gfwl, also launched years after console again due to piracy.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Of course I played and still play on PC, since 2002, I was a Runescape fanatic, played that game religiously for over a decade and played games like half life, cs, portal on the side. After Runescape was ruined with several awful updates, I switched to League of Legends and played that game religiously for almost a decade until I was wrongfully permanently banned. All the while still playing other games here and there on PC and consoles. But after I was banned from League in 2019, I pretty much became a single player gamer only.

The same benefit that there is on console....real ownership and being able to physically see and touch your games is unparalleled feeling that digital games can never replicate! Which is why if Pentiment and HiFi Rush get physical releases, I'm definitely buying them. Valve says our games will be ours if Steam ever dies, but no one can ever really know if that's true or not until that day comes, and Steam offline mode can really suck at times.

It didn't die quickly at all, it had over a 30 year lifespan from the big box PC game days to GFWL physical releases. It only died because Steam killed it to protect their monopoly 🤷‍♂️that's the cold hard truth! Whether you want to admit it or not.

It had flaws like everything else in gaming 😂 but it also had its pros. You should be embarrassed for cheering on a monopoly. Also Epic and GOG work on Linux, so saying only Steam does is false!
How is Steam a monopoly in any way? It's not their fault people prefer their store because it's drastically better. Steam doesn't even pay for any sort of exclusivity and never engaged in that type of behavior.

They simply offer a better product, while every store fails miserably to compete.

There is also nothing stopping devs from offering physical versions of games that use Steam. It's just not something that is popular.
Here is a physical version of BG3 that uses Steam https://box.baldursgate3.game/

Your argument in favor of GFWL is completelly nonsensical, there was nothing special about it besides the fact that MS wanted to use it to charge for multiplayer on PC: "After the official announcement of Games for Windows – Live, many PC gamers were upset with Microsoft's move to charge PC gamers a fee of $49.99 to use the service."

Shameless, they tried to pull the same move they did on consoles but PC players didn't fall for it. On top of that GFWL also fucking sucked, MS is a complete disgrace and a genuine anti-consumer company.

Bro what
Lol physical games had nothing to do with gfwl, for example the last big game i remember launching physically for pc was diablo 3 (wasnt cracked for years due to battlenet integration), which had nothing to do with gfwl.
Diablo 3 wasn't cracked due to always-on more specifically. Multiplayer games thrive on PC because they are naturally immune to piracy and Diablo 3 pretty much functioned as a multiplayer game due to being always-on.

JAHGamer has to be trolling again, we shouldn't waste our time. He supports Epic Store, GFWL, pretty much anything that is anti-PC at it's core.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Bro what
Lol physical games had nothing to do with gfwl, for example the last big game i remember launching physically for pc was diablo 3 (wasnt cracked for years due to battlenet integration), which had nothing to do with gfwl. GtaV also had a physical release for pc, had a shitton of discs. Nothing to do with gfwl, also launched years after console again due to piracy.
Umm...GFWL had everything to do with it, before gfwl died there were a lot of physical pc releases, afterwards there was virtually none, Diablo 3 was before gfwl and it wasn't a real physical release, it was just a key! As in one time use... and GTA V was a late release as you mentioned, so a physical release was always in the plans. After GFWL died, what else was there? Just the very rare enthusiast overpriced releases like Command and Conquer, which again is just a key and not an actual physical game.

How is Steam a monopoly in any way? It's not their fault people prefer their store because it's drastically better. Steam doesn't even pay for any sort of exclusivity and never engaged in that type of behavior.
How is Steam a monopoly? BRO... Look up the definition of a monopoly 😂 They have 95% share of the PC market 😂🤣 Steam being a good storefront doesn't change the fact that it's still a monopoly.. Valve doesn't need to pay for any exclusivity when they're the default option, ergo proving my point that THEY'RE A MONOPOLY 😂 Sony, Nintendo, and Xbox all have to pay for exclusives, why? Because none of those 3 are a monopoly, Steam doesn't have that problem which is why they don't do it., again case in point 🤣
There is also nothing stopping devs from offering physical versions of games that use Steam. It's just not something that is popular.
Here is a physical version of BG3 that uses Steam https://box.baldursgate3.game/
Bro this isn't a physical release 🤣 it's just a Steam key 😂😂 After I use it, I can't lend that copy to my buddy to let him try it out, but I could with my GFWL copy of GTA 4 😎 see what I mean? There are levels to this.
Your argument in favor of GFWL is completelly nonsensical, there was nothing special about it
Physical games were pretty special. But I never said GFWL was great or perfect, just that PC gaming was better with it, which is simply a fact.
JAHGamer has to be trolling again, we shouldn't waste our time. He supports Epic Store, GFWL, pretty much anything that is anti-PC at it's core.
So I'm a troll because I want Steam to have proper competition? 😂 Maybe if GFWL was still around, I could have a real physical copy of Baldur's Gate 3 instead of a Steam key, maybe Steam would bring back the great flash sales they used to have, and maybe we'd even have Half Life 3 by now? Or Portal 3? 🤔 But sadly, people like you and @flaccidsnake keep cheering on monopolies, so Valve can just rest on their laurels, collect their 30% fee, and not have to do much. And before you say "le Steam Deck!!", that's just to grow their monopoly even more 😂😂

Of course I'm a proud supporter of Epic, they're our only hope to restore PC gaming back to its former glory.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Umm...GFWL had everything to do with it, before gfwl died there were a lot of physical pc releases, afterwards there was virtually none, Diablo 3 was before gfwl and it wasn't a real physical release, it was just a key! As in one time use... and GTA V was a late release as you mentioned, so a physical release was always in the plans. After GFWL died, what else was there? Just the very rare enthusiast overpriced releases like Command and Conquer, which again is just a key and not an actual physical game.

How is Steam a monopoly? BRO... Look up the definition of a monopoly 😂 They have 95% share of the PC market 😂🤣 Steam being a good storefront doesn't change the fact that it's still a monopoly.. Valve doesn't need to pay for any exclusivity when they're the default option, ergo proving my point that THEY'RE A MONOPOLY 😂 Sony, Nintendo, and Xbox all have to pay for exclusives, why? Because none of those 3 are a monopoly, Steam doesn't have that problem which is why they don't do it., again case in point 🤣

Bro this isn't a physical release 🤣 it's just a Steam key 😂😂 After I use it, I can't lend that copy to my buddy to let him try it out, but I could with my GFWL copy of GTA 4 😎 see what I mean? There are levels to this.

Physical games were pretty special. But I never said GFWL was great or perfect, just that PC gaming was better with it, which is simply a fact.

So I'm a troll because I want Steam to have proper competition? 😂 Maybe if GFWL was still around, I could have a real physical copy of Baldur's Gate 3 instead of a Steam key, maybe Steam would bring back the great flash sales they used to have, and maybe we'd even have Half Life 3 by now? Or Portal 3? 🤔 But sadly, people like you and @flaccidsnake keep cheering on monopolies, so Valve can just rest on their laurels, collect their 30% fee, and not have to do much. And before you say "le Steam Deck!!", that's just to grow their monopoly even more 😂😂

Of course I'm a proud supporter of Epic, they're our only hope to restore PC gaming back to its former glory.
So Valve is in the wrong for simply providing a much better product, including things like working for over a decade to make Linux gaming viable? The only store that support Linux as far as I know. There is nothing coming from Valve stopping publishers from putting their games anywhere they want.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
So Valve is in the wrong for simply providing a much better product, including things like working for over a decade to make Linux gaming viable? The only store that support Linux as far as I know. There is nothing coming from Valve stopping publishers from putting their games anywhere they want.
Did you not read my comment at all? 😂😂 You don't need to do that when you're already a monopoly. Valve is in the wrong for doing the bare minimum and not releasing Half Life 3 or Portal 3!
Valve doesn't need to pay for any exclusivity when they're the default option, ergo proving my point that THEY'RE A MONOPOLY 😂 Sony, Nintendo, and Xbox all have to pay for exclusives, why? Because none of those 3 are a monopoly, Steam doesn't have that problem which is why they don't do it., again case in point 🤣

Anyways, I've wasted enough time here tonight, time to return to Infinite Wealth 😁

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I've been hearing the "recession upon us" drum for 5 years now, and so far, other than a very small contraction in some countries, there's no recession. As for the market being smaller, not it isn't.

edit: And there's many countries, not just one.
They changed how they calculate what a recession is back in 2021, including items that they used to use a canary down the mine.

And we've had a recession in the last five years, it was just artificial due to lockdown.
Bigger than last gen.

Me bookmarking your post would mean me caring. The PS5 is outselling the PS4 launch aligned, and nothing points to that changing.
The news from today points to that changing. No first party games until next year? Not a good sign.

Who knows if the Switch 2 is even going to be much more powerful than a Steam Deck. Steam Deck hardly cuts it when it comes to running the latest PS5 games even at lower res.

I think it's way more likely for Sony to show up with their own native portable device or to open their own store on PC than to start releasing their games on Switch, Nintendo console aren't really known for selling that many third party games and I don't think most Sony games are a good fit for it.

A Sony handheld would be a great idea. Unfortunately, the baffoons running the show at the moment can't make games, let alone hardware. I would be happy to be proved wrong.

What is this assertion based upon?

Gaming surpasses both movies and music combined in terms of spending by about 20%. And that gap has been growing in the past decade. Moreover, gaming spending will surpass global TV spending in a few years.
Movies and TV? The two things that have been on their arse for years?

I'm not saying there isn't money in gaming, I'm saying where that money is has changed.

fr that dude is just pulling things from his ass

I always pull shit from my arse, I don't dispute that. It doesn't mean it's not wrong.
They port "some" games not all and they are usually older titles.
Not the same as the stupidity that is MS handling of Xbox/PC.
Be honest, does the current leadership at Sony fill you the confidence of House, Shuie or Boyes? Or are the current leadership a different flavour of Spencer?
I'd advise ignoring the sleepybrown-esque Sony Toomer. He has no fucking clue what he's talking about and is frankly publicly embarrassing himself.

The only thing he's successfully done is turn the topic away from Xbox's public humiliation - being forced to give away its former prized exclusives in search of income from a competitor they once boasted they could 'spend out of business'.

There's literally no reason for Sony to ship on other consoles, and apart from their misguided attempt to port to PC in search of incremental margins, there are no parallels to be drawn between the moribund Xbox brand and the rising star that is PlayStation.
I'm not sleepy brown, the Avi is Karl Pilkington, not that little lad from the cartoon. Stop jumping at shadows.

As for the rest of your coping and seething post, I once made a thread on Neogaf, where the posters and Evilore laughed at the idea so hard that they locked the thread, calling it stupid. A year later the thread was unlocked as Evilore admitted he was wrong. The thread topic? Microsoft buying Bethesda a year before it happened.
On another site I said Acti was going to be purchased nine months before it happened.

I'm not an insider, or even intelligent but the patterns are obvious.

In the three decades I've been gaming and watching the business side of the industry, very few surprises ever happen and most of the time, the business people handle console like a product to sell, not something for fanboys to worship.

Microsoft's downfall was telegraphed from 2010, 2008 for those really paying attention. Sony are now walking that same predictable path.

Will they go out of business? Hell no. Will the PS6 be a stonkingly powerful console? Absolutely. Are Sony going to have a few rough years without an immediate change of course? I'd bet my Microsoft Shill account payments on it.

You're the one who brought up the Switch. Now it's old news because I questioned whether it could run the Sony first-party games you also brought up. It's telling that you view questioning of your opinions, which you keep stating as facts, as cynicism. Also, 'I'm always right and everyone else is wrong' (been that way for two decades) indicates this is not a dicussion. My mistake in thinking otherwise.

Switch, as in the Nintendo console, like saying Xbox or Playstation as a generic term.
It didn't mean to come off as brushing off a discussion, just that, I've been here before, lots of times, it gets a little bit boring when ideas are laughed off as stupid, fanboyish and deranged, rather than discussed and entertained.

Besides, we have like 40 fucking years of examples of companies screwing up, succeeding, dropping mics, dropping bombs and dropping big turds on stage. None of this should be surprising.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
A Sony handheld would be a great idea. Unfortunately, the baffoons running the show at the moment can't make games, let alone hardware. I would be happy to be proved wrong.
Thankfully Valve went and released a console that runs more PlayStation games than any PlayStation and is getting all PS5 games including day one games now. :ROFLMAO:

• haha
Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sadly, as a PC players I liked console as an alternative and games made specifically for consoles. Those just don't exist outside Nintendo anymore.
I agree. Give me a controller and a comfy couch over a desk and tiny monitor anyday.

Thankfully Microsoft have done us a solid by forcing a lot of games on PC to add control support.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I agree. Give me a controller and a comfy couch over a desk and tiny monitor anyday.

Thankfully Microsoft have done us a solid by forcing a lot of games on PC to add control support.
Microsoft? Valve is the one that did it, Windows interface sucks if all you have is a controller while Steam has figured that out long ago and their controller support is one of the great things about Steam.

MS even fucked up many PC games with DirectInput and tying games to their Xbox controllers. There is nothing I hate more than opening up a PC game just to find out I'm stuck with Xbox prompts on my DualSense.

Reactions: xollowsob

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They changed how they calculate what a recession is back in 2021, including items that they used to use a canary down the mine.

You don't change how you calculate a recession, since the nomenclature for recession means "negative growth" when all is factored in. You may be talking about countries changing what constitutes inflation, which is completely a completely different metric. Additionally, countries in the OECD (like the US, Germany, etc) have pretty much harmonised metrics as to how economic throughput is calculated.

The OECD considers a recession a period of at least two years during which the cumulative output gap reaches at least 2% of GDP, and the output gap is at least 1% for at least one year. Most economic analysts consider a recession to be a period of at least two quarters in a row with negative growth. This is not rocket science.

And we've had a recession in the last five years, it was just artificial due to lockdown.
I'm going to assume you're from the US, because usually Americans are the only ones that say "we" when talking about global definitions. And if you are, you would be wrong.

Since 2018, the US had 1 year where it was in a recession, and that was (obviously) 2020.

More here:

The news from today points to that changing. No first party games until next year? Not a good sign.
Fair enough.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Microsoft? Valve is the one that did it, Windows interface sucks if all you have is a controller while Steam has figured that out long ago and their controller support is one of the great things about Steam.

MS even fucked up many PC games with DirectInput and tying games to their Xbox controllers. There is nothing I hate more than opening up a PC game just to find out I'm stuck with Xbox prompts on my DualSense.
Forgive my terminology. When I say PC I just mean steam. I've noticed a positive direction with controller support since Microsoft forced the (360?) Xbone pad on steam. Support has always been there but it has got better and better.

Likewise, button mapping on console became a feature thanks to key mapping on PC. A fair exchange.
You don't change how you calculate a recession, since the nomenclature for recession means "negative growth" when all is factored in. You may be talking about countries changing what constitutes inflation, which is completely a completely different metric. Additionally, countries in the OECD (like the US, Germany, etc) have pretty much harmonised metrics as to how economic throughput is calculated.

The OECD considers a recession a period of at least two years during which the cumulative output gap reaches at least 2% of GDP, and the output gap is at least 1% for at least one year. Most economic analysts consider a recession to be a period of at least two quarters in a row with negative growth. This is not rocket science.

You are correct, I was confusion inflation with recession. Recession is 3 quarters of negative growth which some countries saw last year.
I'm going to assume you're from the US, because usually Americans are the only ones that say "we" when talking about global definitions. And if you are, you would be wrong.
Don't swear at me, I'm not American!

I say we in this case because America runs the money. Financially the west is all in it together.

Since 2018, the US had 1 year where it was in a recession, and that was (obviously) 2020.

More here:

I appreciate the research. Thank you.
Fair enough.
The recent announcement does not fill me with hope and joy. I would have happily swapped two pages of posting saying to me "you're talking shit" for some new IPs.

Outside of Sony, what the hell is happening in the industry? Is the demand for games so low that MS/Sony/Nintendo can churn out nothing and not be punished for it?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
God we're still giving this Copistanian airtime? He's now claiming he predicted Bethesda and ABK would be bought by Microsoft (no receipt). Note that there's also no mention of what would be his many failed predictions, like Sony putting titles on competing consoles.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
God we're still giving this Copistanian airtime? He's now claiming he predicted Bethesda and ABK would be bought by Microsoft (no receipt). Note that there's also no mention of what would be his many failed predictions, like Sony putting titles on competing consoles.
Go to Neogaf. The thread is there for Bethesda. If you're going to talk about me, be a man and quote me.

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
This game has been in my backlog since day 1. I need to get back to it someday.