The Xbox Series X refresh leaks look far more promising than the PS5 Slim

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is absolutely hilarious. I need to highlight a section, but please read it all.

There's no competition, right? The Xbox Series X refresh might not be coming until Fall 2024, a year after the PS5 Slim, but as far as I can see, Brooklin leaves Sony in the dust. As a PS5 owner, there's nothing that draws me to 'upgrade' to the Slim, but there's a whole bunch of changes to Brooklin that draw me to the Xbox for the first time. Granted, it's unlikely to replace my PC as the vehicle by which I play games like Starfield, but this looks like a substantial step forward from Microsoft at a time when Sony appears to be running on the spot.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This must be one of those "Xbox Tax" articles.... /S

Really though, this is more typical of the type of article I expect from the media. Highly Xbox biased, ignoring many facts and riding off the back of a compromised "opinion" to arrive at some point that is far removed from reality and in no service to customers.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Opinion of a fanboy that plays on PC based on speculation.

So basically nothing of any worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: toadsage44

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It's an opinion article from a troglodyte fanboy. Moron's getting roasted in the comments, though.

Hardware fails, subscription fails, software fails. But they always find some new metric to put out and try and hype up and then that fails too. Not an ounce of critical thinking skills among them.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Are they making up hardware revisions now?

Because people actually care about slim models outside of Sony looking to cut costs at the margin? Doubt.

Waiting to hear what a steal Xbox series x is when ps5 pro comes out. Looking forward to the damage control as Xbox continues to sell less hardware than ever.

Reactions: Diah

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
They can’t. Pre-existing Series S handicap. Might as well launch their next console gen altogether.

PS5 Pro will finish the job.

This gen is over. Microsoft got obliterated.
Yes i don't think Xbox will ever get back to their 360 days with hardware sales. Where they were keeping it competitive with Sony.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS5 Pro is gonna blow this "refresh" out of the water.

This Series X "refresh" is more of an embarrassment: higher price point, a cheap half-baked copy of DualSense, same inefficient architecture.

No mate, it will bring the gap closer. Trust Phil

8BiTw0LF

Haha, the PS5 Pro seems to be the better choice to buy next year. Wtf are these "journalists" on about - and why do they keep promoting mediocrity?

Reactions: Diah

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They cannot phase out series s consoles. Giving devs yet another console spec to optimize for would amplify the already existing series s/x shitshow.

And with gamepass having destroyed unit sales of software and revenues for every game on the platform. Yea, let’s give companies more of a reason to ditch Xbox development.

Unless you want to assume MS will just give gamepass handouts desperately to everyone. Yeah, I’m sure that’s a winning business plan.

Where series s is the base, a last gen machine, ps5 pro will actually build on a current gen machine. Xbox has no way of answering this and they’ve mentioned there’s no effort being made to either. Derp derp Phil spencer

They blew their load already. Both Halo and Starfield helped them trend towards even LESS hardware sold. At this point the damage control is hopeless. Phil Spencer is a huge failure.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
It does, but because Xbox needs to catch up and is adding features like haptic feedback that Playstation already have.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Reads like an ad and marketing material. Like planted CIA stories, the only thing different being the logo publishing it.

I do like the touch of "I play on PC and won't give it up", but "do chose the Series X revision over the PS5 " as far as consoles. Hierarchy established: #1 PC, #2: Console of choice, in this case: Xbox. The worst console platform to invest in.

Clickbait, console war bait, marketing ad and FUD all rolled into one. BTW it's from the news editor at Gamesradar, not even a contributor. A call for an implicit favor perhaps? ad buys on the line future wise?

Btw that "editor" is fully aware of what he wrote and the words he chose. He ain't dumb, so don't project that into him... it actually makes you look naive and stupid yourself.

At this point with such a focus on PC these days you do have to wonder if Valve is involved in these shenanigans, and not just the usual suspect aka MS.... after all, Steam is a monopoly nobody ever talks about. It's always Sony, and Nintendo that needs the competition, not Valve with over 80% marketshare.

These corp wars are a thing of beauty to watch on the public space.

Definitely enjoy the death decline of Xbox, a trojan horse for Windows PC, in effect. I def would prefer it to go much faster, It's half a generation overdue. I think the PlayStation/Nintendo vs PC war, the real war for the future of the premium games market is where the teeth and true dirt will truly show. Anyone that was paying attention to what was actually going on during the PS3 era, and who benefited most from the rise of Xbox understands the long strategic war at play (for those who lack the neurons to understand it - it's PC, PC, PC).

The more Xbox becomes irrelevant by losing marketshare (less consoles sold), the more you'll see the PC vs. Console war shape up and come up to the forefront. It's inevitable. It was merely postponed after the PS2 era by Sony's blunders with the PS3. And the difference between then and now is that PC is at a relatively stronger position than back then. You could say the PC camp drew blood first (MS/Valve) although they would posit it was Sony (foremost) and Nintendo, with their trajectory that did. Either way, it's war. The only question to me is, will the idiots at SIE, and higher up at Sony's (CEO level) wake up in time? Cause the other side ain't gonna lay down to take the L (they'll fight, dirty and hard, and all of this merely telegraphs what is to come). No olive branch - like PC support - is gonna cut it. To the contrary, it will only embolden as a sign of weakness. The fools that think it's some 5D chess, to get PC folks to switch, are completely deluded, retarded, and if in a decision-making position, dangerous.

What actually hurts PC is significant hardware differences between consoles and PC and software development environment differences that come about because of it. It used to be that the console market leader would leverage this for exclusionary purposes (aka content exclusion, thus ultimately moribund support for PC and potential death). For example, the PS5 SSD set up where PC plays catch up should be just the beginning. Gotta go back to the sort of thing that had Fat Gabe crying, and reason why he twisted the knife during the PS3 era, and why MS got in with Xbox, in part, cause Windows Gaming was on the line. Of course they termed it as Sony "splitting the market" - therefore Sony was the bad guy - as if Windows PC had a right to the premium games market when it failed to nurture it - it was consoles that did that not Windows PC. PC merely piggy backed by fast following, as MS likes to coin Sony as. Just like Windows PC Gaming has no right to the Mobile Gaming market either. Of course, Google and Apple, unlike Sony, weren't as weak to allow MS to insert itself with Windows phones into Mobile as MS did with Xbox into the console market. It ain't much splitting when you're a dirty dwarf. Now it's a real problem for Sony.

So yeah it's gonna be back to those strategies. Not just that but the usual exclusionary content war (exclusives by $$$ pocket, favor or leveraged market-share). Pricing will always be favorable to consoles so that won't be much of an issue. I do think Social platform engagement and money-making streaming are the console's main weaknesses going forward.... the influencer crowd of Twitch and Youtube live on PC and prop PC. Console hardware will need to adapt and become a flexible machine for podcast creation, streaming, and more than just the current simple streaming, money-making streaming - keyboard and mouse support will be key, on top of the software hub that will have to support interconnection with all of these platforms on the web. Bottomline, consoles need to become the defacto home and choice of game streaming for $$$. I personally don't have proper stats on the matter but I do know it ain't close, and PC's reign. That will require a rethinking of PlayStation OS structure.

Needless to say, releasing Sony published and developed games on PC and by doing so in effect encouraging other devs in the industry to follow just by watching what the console market leader does is absolutely crazy and self-defeating long term.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Last traditional Xbox console hardware we will get from Microsoft. I don’t think next Gen there will be a competitive console facing PS6. This Gen is a whole disaster, they won’t even scratch on Xbox One numbers. This is it. It’s over for Microsoft classic hardware business. They can’t fool their shareholders forever. Microsoft console business is finished. They will become by next Gen a 3rd Party publisher.

Edit: Also there’s not a single rumour about Microsoft’s project code-named next hardware. No specs rumours at all. Normally there would be on half of the gen, specs and code names flying around all Xbox centric forums. Not a good outlook and probably strengthens my thesis.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Reads like an ad and marketing material. Like planted CIA stories, the only thing different being the logo publishing it.

I do like the touch of "I play on PC and won't give it up", but "do chose the Series X revision over the PS5 " as far as consoles. Hierarchy established: #1 PC, #2: Console of choice, in this case: Xbox. The worst console platform to invest in.

Clickbait, console war bait, marketing ad and FUD all rolled into one. BTW it's from the news editor at Gamesradar, not even a contributor. A call for an implicit favor perhaps? ad buys on the line future wise?

Btw that "editor" is fully aware of what he wrote and the words he chose. He ain't dumb, so don't project that into him... it actually makes you look naive and stupid yourself.

At this point with such a focus on PC these days you do have to wonder if Valve is involved in these shenanigans, and not just the usual suspect aka MS.... after all, Steam is a monopoly nobody ever talks about. It's always Sony, and Nintendo that needs the competition, not Valve with over 80% marketshare.

These corp wars are a thing of beauty to watch on the public space.

Definitely enjoy the death decline of Xbox, a trojan horse for Windows PC, in effect. I def would prefer it to go much faster, It's half a generation overdue. I think the PlayStation/Nintendo vs PC war, the real war for the future of the premium games market is where the teeth and true dirt will truly show. Anyone that was paying attention to what was actually going on during the PS3 era, and who benefited most from the rise of Xbox understands the long strategic war at play (for those who lack the neurons to understand it - it's PC, PC, PC).

The more Xbox becomes irrelevant by losing marketshare (less consoles sold), the more you'll see the PC vs. Console war shape up and come up to the forefront. It's inevitable. It was merely postponed after the PS2 era by Sony's blunders with the PS3. And the difference between then and now is, PC is at a relatively stronger position than back then. The only question to me is, will the idiots at SIE, and higher up at Sony's CEO level wake up in time, cause the other side ain't gonna lay down to take the L (they'll fight, dirty and hard, and all of this merely telegraphs what is to come).
The MOMENT MS execs publicly came out in the early 2000s citing the threat of a "Sony Workstation", Sony should have materialized those fears into an actual alternative to Windows. Might have helped the Vaio laptops not fail.

Even when they started the PC ports madness, they still could have turned their ports into a joint venture with Valve, where actual native Linux ports of a few 1st party PS games would be used to help SteamOS (and Linux in fact) compete against Windows.

Even then, Valve likes to play both sides and can't be trusted, but still...

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The MOMENT MS execs publicly came out in the early 2000s citing the threat of a "Sony Workstation", Sony should have materialized those fears into an actual alternative to Windows. Might have helped the Vaio laptops not fail.

Even when they started the PC ports madness, they still could have turned their ports into a joint venture with Valve, where actual native Linux ports of a few 1st party PS games would be used to help SteamOS (and Linux in fact) compete against Windows.

Even then, Valve likes to play both sides and can't be trusted, but still...
Sony should have accepted Steve Job’s offer and let Apple use Sony’s tech for their OS. Job wanted to distribute Apple OS on Sony computers. But Sony was arrogant to decline. Imagine how different todays world would look? Back then Apple was small and maybe they could have merged in result of working together. But now it’s sadly too late. Sony is always a slowpoke.