The Xbox Series X refresh leaks look far more promising than the PS5 Slim

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
My question has always been why would people upgrade to the "slim" version of their console (unless there is a clear benefit, like the PS4 slim being less noisy).

That whole idea makes no sense.... Also, looks is pretty far down the list when I choose to buy a console.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Sony should have accepted Steve Job’s offer and let Apple use Sony’s tech for their OS. Job wanted to distribute Apple OS on Sony computers. But Sony was arrogant to decline. Imagine how different todays world would look? Back then Apple was small and maybe they could have merged in result of working together. But now it’s sadly too late. Sony is always a slowpoke.
I never heard of that about Apple wanting some Sony tech for their OS, Steve jobs was a known giant Sony fan and he mentioned them, as an inspiration for their excellent industrial design back in the days, many times in interviews.

Would it have been in the 80s, before the mac was released? I would need a source, that seems fishy.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The MOMENT MS execs publicly came out in the early 2000s citing the threat of a "Sony Workstation", Sony should have materialized those fears into an actual alternative to Windows. Might have helped the Vaio laptops not fail.

Even when they started the PC ports madness, they still could have turned their ports into a joint venture with Valve, where actual native Linux ports of a few 1st party PS games would be used to help SteamOS (and Linux in fact) compete against Windows.

Even then, Valve likes to play both sides and can't be trusted, but still...
Valve can absolutely not be trusted. There is nothing stopping Valve from trying to leverage their position on PC by releasing a console with cross-platform pollination. Anything that furthers the hold that the Steam ecosystem has on their consumers is a roadblock to Sony stealing away said consumer base, at the expense of Sony's own strengths with PlayStation. Shit just simply doesn't work between competitors - better to just merge or straight up buy and acquire. Nothing short.

Sony most of all is the foolish one currently - while still at the top - which is the most mind-bending thing. Jim and co. are absolute idiots in this regard - absolute. But Nintendo of course would also be foolish to do any partnerships or lower their guards. The Steamdeck is a gun directly pointed at Nintendo... make no mistake.

And all this shit about Linux goes kaput the second Gabe and a few others decide to sell to MS for a big fat pot. In essence Linux support is merely, imo, an effective hedge but also a means to significantly increase the asking price when MS comes knocking with the massive check, and they will. ABK Leaks confirm that - no longer an if or hypothetical. They're a MS target - and it makes too much fucking sense for it not to be anyway.

"We don't need Windows, our platform can even live on Linux" "If you want it, you gonna have to pay up a lot more" - Valve ownership. Very simple negotiation. They won't even have to say it, MS knows.

You do have to love how these corps try to get partnerships first before declaring all-out war. It's like: "Look we're on a collision course. it would be better if we "team up"". Of course at each step of the way there is the cynical calculus of who benefits most and why should we "partner" in the first place.

More often than not you get the collision cause that cost-benefit analysis doesn't check out. It's the "We gave peace a chance" routine.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
My question has always been why would people upgrade to the "slim" version of their console (unless there is a clear benefit, like the PS4 slim being less noisy).

That whole idea makes no sense.... Also, looks is pretty far down the list when I choose to buy a console.
Exactly, the entire premise of the article is stupid. PS5 owners aren’t supposed to look at the slim as an “upgrade” anyways.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I never heard of that about Apple wanting some Sony tech for their OS, Steve jobs was a known giant Sony fan and he mentioned them, as an inspiration for their excellent industrial design back in the days, many times in interviews.

Would it have been in the 80s, before the mac was released? I would need a source, that seems fishy.
You’re welcome, Sony is indeed a hard slowpoke:

“Despite stamping out the once-popular Mac clone program upon his return to Apple in the late 1990s, Steve Jobs a few years later reportedly flew to Hawaii to pitch executives of Japanese electronics giant Sony on the idea of selling Mac-compatible VAIO computers.”

Reactions: Diah

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Reads like an ad and marketing material. Like planted CIA stories, the only thing different being the logo publishing it.

I do like the touch of "I play on PC and won't give it up", but "do chose the Series X revision over the PS5 " as far as consoles. Hierarchy established: #1 PC, #2: Console of choice, in this case: Xbox. The worst console platform to invest in.

Clickbait, console war bait, marketing ad and FUD all rolled into one. BTW it's from the news editor at Gamesradar, not even a contributor. A call for an implicit favor perhaps? ad buys on the line future wise?

Btw that "editor" is fully aware of what he wrote and the words he chose. He ain't dumb, so don't project that into him... it actually makes you look naive and stupid yourself.

At this point with such a focus on PC these days you do have to wonder if Valve is involved in these shenanigans, and not just the usual suspect aka MS.... after all, Steam is a monopoly nobody ever talks about. It's always Sony, and Nintendo that needs the competition, not Valve with over 80% marketshare.

These corp wars are a thing of beauty to watch on the public space.

Definitely enjoy the death decline of Xbox, a trojan horse for Windows PC, in effect. I def would prefer it to go much faster, It's half a generation overdue. I think the PlayStation/Nintendo vs PC war, the real war for the future of the premium games market is where the teeth and true dirt will truly show. Anyone that was paying attention to what was actually going on during the PS3 era, and who benefited most from the rise of Xbox understands the long strategic war at play (for those who lack the neurons to understand it - it's PC, PC, PC).

The more Xbox becomes irrelevant by losing marketshare (less consoles sold), the more you'll see the PC vs. Console war shape up and come up to the forefront. It's inevitable. It was merely postponed after the PS2 era by Sony's blunders with the PS3. And the difference between then and now is that PC is at a relatively stronger position than back then. The only question to me is, will the idiots at SIE, and higher up at Sony's CEO level wake up in time? Cause the other side ain't gonna lay down to take the L (they'll fight, dirty and hard, and all of this merely telegraphs what is to come). No olive branch - like PC support is gonna cut it. To the contrary, it will only embolden as a sign of weakness. The fools that think it's some 5D chess, to get PC folks to switch, are completely deluded and retarded.

What actually hurts, is significant hardware differences and software development environment differences where the console market leader can leverage that for exclusionary purposes (aka content exclusion, thus ultimately death). SSD set up where PC plays catch up should be just the beginning. The sort of thing that had Fat Gabe crying, and reason why he twisted the knife during the PS3 era, and why MS got in with Xbox, in part, cause Windows Gaming was on the line. Of course they termed it, "splitting the market" - therefore Sony was the bad guy - as if Windows PC has a right to the premium games market when it failed to nurture it - it was consoles that did that not Windows PC. PC merely piggy backed by fast following, as MS likes to coin. Just like Windows PC Gaming has no right to mobile gaming either. Of course, Google and Apple, unlike Sony, weren't as weak to allow MS to insert itself, as it did with Xbox into the console market, with Windows phones into Mobile. It ain't much splitting when you're a dirty dwarf. Now it's a real problem for Sony.

So yeah it's gonna be back to those strategies. Not just that but the usual exclusionary content war (exclusives by $$$ pocket, favor or market-share). Pricing will always be favorable to consoles so that won't be much of an issue. I do think Social platform engagement and money-making streaming are the console's main weaknesses going forward.... the influencer crowd of twitch and Youtube live on PC and prop PC. Console hardware will need to adapt and become a a flexible machine for podcast creation, streaming, and more than just the current simple streaming, money-making streaming - keyboard and mouse support will be key, on top of the software hub that will have to support interconnection with all of these platforms on the web. That will require a rethinking of PlayStation OS structure.

Needless to say, releasing Sony published and developed games on PC and by doing so in effect encouraging other devs in the industry to follow just by watching what the console market leader does is absolutely crazy and self-defeating long term.
Spot on, someone needs to send this to Sony and people like @flaccidsnake that cheer on Steams monopoly. Jim already admitted that PC(Steam) was a competitor, and it’s arguably PlayStations largest competitor, yet he still chose to support them with all the best games. What an idiot!!! Sony gave away all of their leverage just to make pennies. You’re 100% right about streamers and influencers propping up PC. Add in the advent of esports and now most kids/teens these days who watch these streams now want PCs over a console. PC is only going to continue to grow faster, and since Steam has a monopoly, it’s also going to become worse as it already has been.

I think previous Sony leadership agreed with you on the idea about trying to make the PlayStation an all in one device. Share Factory had to have been part of that, too bad Jim came in and mucked it up.

At least Nintendo isn’t as dumb as Sony and Epic Games is fighting the good fight. I hope they keep up the good work and continue to get more exclusives on their platform. They just need to work on better DRM since a lot of PC losers pirated Alan Wake 2 day 1 just because it wasn’t on Steam. Stupid crybabies.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Spot on, someone needs to send this to Sony and people like @flaccidsnake that cheer on Steams monopoly. Jim already admitted that PC(Steam) was a competitor, and it’s arguably PlayStations largest competitor, yet he still chose to support them with all the best games. What an idiot!!! Sony gave away all of their leverage just to make pennies. You’re 100% right about streamers and influencers propping up PC. Add in the advent of esports and now most kids/teens these days who watch these streams now want PCs over a console. PC is only going to continue to grow faster, and since Steam has a monopoly, it’s also going to become worse as it already has been.

I think previous Sony leadership agreed with you on the idea about trying to make the PlayStation an all in one device. Share Factory had to have been part of that, too bad Jim came in and mucked it up.

At least Nintendo isn’t as dumb as Sony and Epic Games is fighting the good fight. I hope they keep up the good work and continue to get more exclusives on their platform. They just need to work on better DRM since a lot of PC losers pirated Alan Wake 2 day 1 just because it wasn’t on Steam. Stupid crybabies.
You think PC firsters don't understand this? They do and it's because of that they support it. That's the point. It's confused console-first idiots who are pulled into 50 different argumentative directions on the topic (due to ignorance and lack of critical thinking skills mostly) that do not get it or understand how insidious all this competition is - and all the agenda's at play. PCMR just pretends, specially around forums with console users. Never assume too much stupidity on people. What is stupid is thinking PC can be a good steward and caretaker of the industry - that's where the stupidity really lies at, on a fundamental level. Everyone knows what your run of the mill PCMR ultimately wants and desires. The structure of the PC market itself is flawed, fundamentally, hence why consoles have been the natural nurturers of the industry at the expense of the "all-purpose" device. That is not to say console platform holders can simply lay still and flat, or make an abundance of mistakes... everything evolves - if you don't, well.... byee!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Don't worry about steam they'll get backstabbed by Microsoft 🤣

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
This must be one of those "Xbox Tax" articles.... /S

Really though, this is more typical of the type of article I expect from the media. Highly Xbox biased, ignoring many facts and riding off the back of a compromised "opinion" to arrive at some point that is far removed from reality and in no service to customers.
Yea I don't understand how is it supposed to be better.

No disc drive, the damn thing can't even set horizontally.

Look like a trash can.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Jokes on you for reading that whole post

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Initially I thought this was sponsored content as part of the groundwork for Xbox's marketing push in 2024 but after skimming the article it seems like this is just the lowest form of clickbaiting.

Reactions: pop

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That explains your ignorance

There’s nothing wrong with trying to educate the youth
Valve has built trust with their audience for 20 years now. They just added a ton of free content to a game they released in 1998. If you think they can't be trusted, you should just give up on gaming because everyone else is at least 3 steps behind them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Slim is not to upgrade.
It is for new owners.

Pro is for actual PS5 owner upgrades.

I thought that was very clear.

If you have a PS5 why you are even thinking in buy a Slim 🤷‍♂️

BTW new Xbox Series S is not a refresh… it is the fucking same console with a new design just like PS5 Slim.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Valve has built trust with their audience for 20 years now. They just added a ton of free content to a game they released in 1998. If you think they can't be trusted, you should just give up on gaming because everyone else is at least 3 steps behind them.
They blew money for 10 years making Linux capable for gaming, so they could launch a jailbroken console.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
You’re welcome, Sony is indeed a hard slowpoke:

“Despite stamping out the once-popular Mac clone program upon his return to Apple in the late 1990s, Steve Jobs a few years later reportedly flew to Hawaii to pitch executives of Japanese electronics giant Sony on the idea of selling Mac-compatible VAIO computers.”

OK, I see.