The Xbox Series X refresh leaks look far more promising than the PS5 Slim

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah it’s not exactly a “requirement,” I’m well aware. I make my living in the software engineering world and have had my fair share of involvement in mobile apps (still do in a way actually).

And yet Google is still in court over the use of the Play Store. It’s not for nothing.
Those Google apps give them control over the ecosystem, they're the entry to their services and a money printing machine.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah, try selling that new Xbox Series X Edition when you have this lineup.

- Cheaper PlayStation 5
- PlayStation 5 Pro
- Cheaper Nintendo Switch
- New Nintendo Switch

If Sony and Nintendo drops a major release late 2024, then it's only going to be worse.
They have a console for the poor gamers, it's called the series S.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not "exactly a requirement", it's not a requirement at all. The only phone manufacturer that imposes a closed system for downloading applications is Apple, the most anti consumer of all.
:rolleyes:

Epic is still suing Google over ... you know ... The Play Store? Why would they be doing that if delivering software outside The Play Store was so easy and awesome and the best way to do things? Yes of course it's possible, but it definitely is not the way Google wants you doing things (go read the details of the current lawsuit).

I know quite a bit about Android and iOS. Like I mentioned, I've shipped software on both stores. Stuff used by many, many people in the United States for nationally known companies. I've owned and used Android phones in the past (thankfully not anymore though, what a POS OS). I'm not just making things up or pulling opinions out of thin air.

The vast majority of people do not download and install apps not on the official Play Store. So even though it's "not exactly a requirement" it's also not the way you should generally try and deliver your software if you want people to actually use it. Also, they have you jump through some hoops that most users just won't do to enable that feature. Again, "not exactly a requirement," because it's possible to deliver your software outside of the store, but if you want success you'd be really stupid to go that direction. Why in the hell would there be major litigation and legislation around the play store if it wasn't set up in a way that's a problem?

You guys who go around saying Android is open and you can do whatever you want with it, seem to not understand how things actually work with people and in the real world. Again, people who are extreme enthusiasts, like those on this board, in no way reflect what the market is actually like. Being able to break out of your bubble and see how "normal people" use and look at technology helps get a perspective on stuff like this.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Epic is still suing Google over ... you know ... The Play Store? Why would they be doing that if delivering software outside The Play Store was so easy and awesome and the best way to do things? Yes of course it's possible, but it definitely is not the way Google wants you doing things (go read the details of the current lawsuit).

I can sue you because of your incredibly small penis. Do you have one? I have fuck all idea, but since I sued you, you must have.

Google wants everyone on their store, buy they don't prevent anyone from installing other stores. That's a fact. Bundling them with Apple is just wrong in many, many levels.

Hope you don't take the analogy wrong, it's just a very extreme example.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
:rolleyes:

I know quite a bit about Android and iOS. Like I mentioned, I've shipped software on both stores. Stuff used by many, many people in the United States for nationally known companies. I've owned and used Android phones in the past (thankfully not anymore though, what a POS OS). I'm not just making things up or pulling opinions out of thin air.

The vast majority of people do not download and install apps not on the official Play Store. So even though it's "not exactly a requirement" it's also not the way you should generally try and deliver your software if you want people to actually use it. Also, they have you jump through some hoops that most users just won't do to enable that feature. Again, "not exactly a requirement," because it's possible to deliver your software outside of the store, but if you want success you'd be really stupid to go that direction. Why in the hell would there be major litigation and legislation around the play store if it wasn't set up in a way that's a problem?

You guys who go around saying Android is open and you can do whatever you want with it, seem to not understand how things actually work with people and in the real world. Again, people who are extreme enthusiasts, like those on this board, in no way reflect what the market is actually like. Being able to break out of your bubble and see how "normal people" use and look at technology helps get a perspective on stuff like this.
Again, having a monopoly because you're offering the best services and people don't want the competitors isn't going to be an anti-trust case. It's only if Google is actively preventing its competition from getting access to android via e.g. contracts with phone manufacturers or cellphone carriers that it becomes a restraint of trade.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Again, having a monopoly because you're offering the best services and people don't want the competitors isn't going to be an anti-trust case. It's only if Google is actively preventing its competition from getting access to android via e.g. contracts with phone manufacturers or cellphone carriers that it becomes a restraint of trade.
Who has the monopoly because they are offering the best stuff? I can't think of a single company doing that, even the ones I like. The mobile stores are absolutely "monopolies" in that sense. It's an extremely different world than the one where these stores launched.

Can Apple and Google destroy companies/businesses/livelihoods by removing their apps from their respective stores? Yes.

Can Microsoft do that with their Windows Store, or Apple with their Mac App Store? Not remotely. Because they work like computers should, which is how our pocket computers should now work. It will happen, and right now Europe is leading the way.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Can Apple and Google destroy companies/businesses/livelihoods by removing their apps from their respective stores? Yes.
Sure but they also make tons of companies rich. Jobs are created. Billions and billions are made on their platforms. CEOs are making millions. They deserve something.

Sony and Steam are also getting sued because of this and I think it's unfair. Devs are extremely selfish and ungrateful. They don't want to pay any cut to these platforms holders who take all the risks making these products and maintaining the platform for their consumers.

Reactions: JAHGamer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Who has the monopoly because they are offering the best stuff? I can't think of a single company doing that, even the ones I like. The mobile stores are absolutely "monopolies" in that sense. It's an extremely different world than the one where these stores launched.

Can Microsoft do that with their Windows Store, or Apple with their Mac App Store? Not remotely. Because they work like computers should, which is how our pocket computers should now work. It will happen, and right now Europe is leading the way.
Name me another android app store that offers the features that google play does?

If I'm a property owner and a Walmart offers me $10,000/month to rent my property, I have no obligation to rent that space to a mom&pop shop that can only afford $1,000/month. That's capitalism for you. Just because I as a property owner (e.g. Samsung, Huawei etc) have a contract that bundles the Google Play store with my hardware does not make it anticompetitive. If Google says to me: "oh by the way, you can't negotiate to bundle other stores with your hardware as well" then THAT would make it anticompetitive.

Just because Apple and Google have large app stores that can "ruin" companies by being excluded doesn't make it anticompetitive unless they're imposing unconscionable terms, and a 30% cut is industry standard. Unless you can prove that Apple and Google are colluding with all the other platform holders to maintain a software distribution platform cartel and maintain 30% rates (you can't), you're not going to get anywhere in court.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Sure but they also make tons of companies rich. Jobs are created. Billions and billions are made on their platforms. CEOs are making millions. They deserve something.

Sony and Steam are also getting sued because of this and I think it's unfair. Devs are extremely selfish and ungrateful. They don't want to pay any cut to these platforms holders who take all the risks making these products and maintaining the platform for their consumers.
Just distribute your own games.

Then cry about piracy.