‘There’s going to be more change’: Phil Spencer speaks on Indy PS5 news

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I agree with everything you have been saying but Gaas has nothing to do with mobile. Online games like that have been around for ages, maybe even before the first mobile games
They have, but the “free to play” nature in modern GaaS I recall being a mobile first initiative

Maybe I’m forgetting something.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Looking forward to the Steam machine to see how it sells. Prediction - it won’t : as it hasn’t the 1st time.

Why? Brand still matters, hardware cost matters, frictionless experience matters.

What void does a steam machine fill that is lacking in peoples lives?
You misunderstand me.

When I say "These things will be Steam machines in the blink of an eye" I'm not actually talking about Steam and Valve. I'm talking about PlayStation and XBox and eventually Nintendo.

We're rapidly approaching the day when day and date everywhere on as many platforms as possible is the norm. The rest of the market is growing too large not to take advantage.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They have, but the “free to play” nature I recall being a mobile first initiative

Your Probably right. I cant think of other free to plays before mobile. There was free trials like FF11 etc but not free to play all the time. I havent really bothered with F2P since that launch PS4 cyberninja game (maybe it was PS3?) I tried for a few hours.

Saying that World of Warcraft is considering Gaas. As Final Fantasy 11-14, KOTOR Online, even Sony’s own GT7 and there old school Everquest. They don’t have to be associated with the games only people class them with since Destiny and Overwatch. Or even mobile games. Just games that last longer, online games, MP games that have added content. Kinda like DLC for SP games

Some are free, some arent. Some even have free continued content and are FP2 like Fortnite ( which is not for me ).

Only difference I see is now is from 2 decades ago is, we see FPS and 3rd person combat games in those genres whereas before it was RPG’s and other genres that werent so action heavy. PSO was pretty close lol, but it rarely had added content and not exactly DMC when it comes to combat

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
You misunderstand me.

When I say "These things will be Steam machines in the blink of an eye" I'm not actually talking about Steam and Valve. I'm talking about PlayStation and XBox and eventually Nintendo.

We're rapidly approaching the day when day and date everywhere on as many platforms as possible is the norm. The rest of the market is growing too large not to take advantage.
How does PlayStation differentiate their platform by going 3rd party? A point of difference is what builds a user base. A user base is critical to a healthy eco system. The eco system is the biggest earner by taking 30% of all sales, risk free with no capital investment on each project. How? I need to understand.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How does PlayStation differentiate their platform by going 3rd party? A point of difference is what builds a user base. A user base is critical to a healthy eco system. The eco system is the biggest earner by taking 30% of all sales, risk free with no capital investment on each project. How? I need to understand.
100%

Phil’s Xbox ship is sinking. He’s getting everyone to act like his ship is the entire industry again. And that Playstation and Nintendo need to follow them and adapt lol. Just like he said with Gamepass.

Playstation and Nintendo are just fine doing what they done, Xbox has to adapt become/Windows gaming and 3rd party to carry on

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
The controller? The device itself? The price? The UI? Maybe they'll give exclusive access to skins on PlayStation hardware? You could have a field day coming up with key differentiators that aren't exclusive games.

Look at the sales of PlayStation and look at its 10 best selling exclusives. Do any of them reach 20 million units sold before heavy discounts? A console that will go on to sell around 120 lifetime and the BEST selling exclusives manage around 15% percent of the user base. People aren't buying PlayStation for it's exclusives. That has become a tertiary, ever decreasing reason one would buy a PlayStation.

Reactions: TrishaCat

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The controller? The device itself? The price? The UI? Maybe they'll give exclusive access to skins on PlayStation hardware? You could have a field day coming up with key differentiators that aren't exclusive games.

Look at the sales of PlayStation and look at its 10 best selling exclusives. Do any of them reach 20 million units sold before heavy discounts? A console that will go on to sell around 120 lifetime and the BEST selling exclusives manage around 15% percent of the user base. People aren't buying PlayStation for it's exclusives. That has become a tertiary, ever decreasing reason one would buy a PlayStation.
The peripherals and ui are just one part of a platform.

A platform holder has only one prime directive - make the platform through investment, the upkeep, and innovation for it to be the place to be for clients and devs.

This includes investment in the hardware, the services underpinning the hardware and compelling experiences not available elsewhere.

The investments should always be considered a negative on the balance sheet. This also includes the software they produce - there is nothing wrong with creating loss leaders in the bigger scheme of profiting out the other end by working towards the prime directive.

The sales of the Sony titles compared to the behemoths of the landscape are not the final story. They create fanfare, they create a brand image and are a marketing device for the brand.

How much press coverage and fanfare does a 90% rated Sony title achieve? What is the value of that in marketing and brand health working towards a platform holders mission.

Software sales in isolation are a 3rd parties bread and butter, not a platform holders. This is the MS narrative now as they failed as a platform holder and subsequently acquired full fat publishers that only ever could work by selling wide. It is a disingenuous narrative that does not work as a one size fits all.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
The peripherals and ui are just one part of a platform.

A platform holder has only one prime directive - make the platform through investment, the upkeep, and innovation for it to be the place to be for clients and devs.

This includes investment in the hardware, the services underpinning the hardware and compelling experiences not available elsewhere.

The investments should always be considered a negative on the balance sheet. This also includes the software they produce - there is nothing wrong with creating loss leaders in the bigger scheme of profiting out the other end by working towards the prime directive.

The sales of the Sony titles compared to the behemoths of the landscape are not the final story. They create fanfare, they create a brand image and are a marketing device for the brand.

How much press coverage and fanfare does a 90% rated Sony title achieve? What is the value of that in marketing and brand health working towards a platform holders mission.
Did you catch the switch? How you handwaved away a monumental change in business strategy?

PlayStation has never operated its first party studios using a loss leader strategy. Their 1st party studios, through the history of PlayStation, have largely been successful entities. The studios that haven't been able to generate profit have historically been axed.

But now, all of a sudden, PlayStation Studios are going to operate at a loss? I'm going to need to see someone from PlayStation sign off on that first.
Software sales in isolation are a 3rd parties bread and butter, not a platform holders. This is the MS narrative now as they failed as a platform holder and subsequently acquired full fat publishers that only ever could work by selling wide. It is a disingenuous narrative that does not work as a one size fits all.
Let's give all relevant context though OK?

XBox, one of the three major platform holders, has essentially gone third party.
PlayStation is now going day and date on PC with 60% of their investment (GAAS).
PlayStation has ended their single player exclusivity and are now going to launch on PC.
Square Enix has recently made comments about moving away from platform exclusivity.

It's almost like the Black Knight from Monty Python. This fight is over my friend.

Here's what PlayStation is seeing that you're not.

The highest grossing videogame company in the world is a non platform owner in Tencent. Companies like EA, Epic Games, Ubisoft, NetEase, Bandai Namco...were little bugs to PlayStation 20 years ago. Now they're 1/4th PlayStations size.

PlayStation sees the trend of GAAS + 3rd party mega hits like Assassins Creed and Harry Potter and they find themselves at severe disadvantage. They know they can't keep operating like it's 2004 when their competitors are chewing up more and more market share.

PlayStation will continue leveraging their hardware for as long as they can, but make no mistake, the era of the plastic box is ending.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Did you catch the switch? How you handwaved away a monumental change in business strategy?

PlayStation has never operated its first party studios using a loss leader strategy. Their 1st party studios, through the history of PlayStation, have largely been successful entities. The studios that haven't been able to generate profit have historically been axed.

But now, all of a sudden, PlayStation Studios are going to operate at a loss? I'm going to need to see someone from PlayStation sign off on that first.

Let's give all relevant context though OK?

XBox, one of the three major platform holders, has essentially gone third party.
PlayStation is now going day and date on PC with 60% of their investment (GAAS).
PlayStation has ended their single player exclusivity and are now going to launch on PC.
Square Enix has recently made comments about moving away from platform exclusivity.

It's almost like the Black Knight from Monty Python. This fight is over my friend.

Here's what PlayStation is seeing that you're not.

The highest grossing videogame company in the world is a non platform owner in Tencent. Companies like EA, Epic Games, Ubisoft, NetEase, Bandai Namco...were little bugs to PlayStation 20 years ago. Now they're 1/4th PlayStations size.

PlayStation sees the trend of GAAS + 3rd party mega hits like Assassins Creed and Harry Potter and they find themselves at severe disadvantage. They know they can't keep operating like it's 2004 when their competitors are chewing up more and more market share.

PlayStation will continue leveraging their hardware for as long as they can, but make no mistake, the era of the plastic box is ending.
Their games making profits is a bonus, the strategy is however to make the best game possible to create momentum, sales secondary. Noted that disassociating sales from intangible benefits may be becoming an issue for a new bread of Sony suits. Speculation.

Them releasing on PC I doubt we will see tentpole IP’s going day and date as a target platform. Ports, obviously are happening. Porting is cheap - all the creative work and investment is already behind them.

They are either greedy releasing on pc or genuinely think they can wet the beak of the gamer to come get the full slate on console. I don’t agree with either personally. I also don’t agree with GaaS

If Sony goes proper 3rd party as you are suggesting, we will talk about it again. Till then it’s nothing like it.

Reactions: voke and Umar

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
If Sony goes proper 3rd party as you are suggesting, we will talk about it again. Till then it’s nothing like it.
Well, it is a little like it considering 60% of their investments are already going day and date on PC and their big tentpole games are coming to PC after a period of time.

So yeah, a little like it.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Ofc it will not remain a plastic box, having a bulky box like ps5 by the time ps7 or 8 hits will be like using steam engines in the 21st century. The box will change and adapt and will continue to exist in some form because its human nature to want to own products which have tangible form.

You are talking as if we are in the 2100's and not the 2000's. Console box is not going anywhere for at least the next 20-25 years, India and Africa are major markets where gaming as a hobby is still in a very nascent stage and where consoles will definitely do very well when gaming takes off for them.

Reactions: Umar

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
The way a tide works is that the water engulfs certain parts of geography before others. They're all witnessing the rising tide, Microsoft was just the first who had to adapt. PlayStation and Nintendo aren't far behind.
You’re a fool if you think Nintendo is putting their games on other platforms. LMAO

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
You misunderstand me.

You really think Nintendo will do this? LMAO

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Been hearing that since the start of the PS3 gen…. Hardware isnt going anywhere atm and as long as that is around, consoles will exist.

Valve and MS, are gonna make more steamdeck and console/pc hybrid like machines through companies like Asus and other 3rd party.

Playstation and Nintendo arent gonna do that, they dont need to do that.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Now we have third party publisher fanboys. Where the EA and Ubisoft warriors at to even it out?

This is where Xbox fans are at. They think they evolved — NOPE… more like going extinct.

Yes, MS wants to make more money. And to do that … they’re quitting the hardware race to be full third party.

RIP Xbox

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
third party publisher fanboys
I live and die by Square Enix
Jusf spitballing here, but if you mean as a console developer, easy to navigate UI, strong powerful hardware, fast easy to navigate store, a high quality controller with a myriad of features from gyro to audio, general controller design, etc
You can differentiate yourself not with exclusives but with good likable hardware, UI, and ecosystem. There are many sellers of all sorts of the same products that differentiate from each other via quality, dependability, etc.

If you mean as a 3rd party software developer, by making good games like everyone else does. Maybe develop a niche like how people associate Atlus with occult themed JRPGs. Sony likes third person high end AAA story games.
Just spitballing here.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

Im curious youre an xboxers or something?

Cos this point of view is rather familiar ( the xbox is crumbling so by all means playstation and nintendo should be too logical falacy )

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Im curious youre an xboxers or something?

Cos this point of view is rather familiar ( the xbox is crumbling so by all means playstation and nintendo should be too logical falacy )
If PlayStation putting 60% of their resources day and date on PC with their tentpole single player games coming to PC soon after launch isn't "crumbling" then I don't know what to tell you.

The market is radically changing and some of y'all want to keep your head in the sand.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Been hearing that since the start of the PS3 gen…. Hardware isnt going anywhere atm and as long as that is around, consoles will exist.

Valve and MS, are gonna make more steamdeck and console/pc hybrid like machines through companies like Asus and other 3rd party.

Playstation and Nintendo arent gonna do that, they dont need to do that.
5 years ago you couldn't convince anyone on the internet that PlayStation would release their exclusives on PC.

A lot can happen in 5 years.