Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Screenshot-20231111-130046-Chrome.jpg

Polish-20231111-130156088.jpg
Polish-20231111-130319151.jpg
Polish-20231111-130448508.jpg
Polish-20231111-130520545.jpg
Polish-20231111-130549225.jpg

I suppose that means there will be fewer PC ports in the future?

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Screenshot-20231111-130046-Chrome.jpg

This is wrong. As in all quarterly reports, This Q2 Sony also reported the PC games in the same segment they always did.

A segment that as usual keeps growing YoY since their late PC ports initiative. This highly profitable segment keeps growing its revenue, and there is absolutely no negative effect in the console numbers, which also keep growing, so it would be stupid to release fewer PC ports in the future.

In addiition to this, the Steam concurrent users of single player games are a totally useless, misleading and dumb metric to analyze its sales performance or popularity of a game. Specially for a title released months or years ago, and even more if it's a port of an old game at full price.

If you want a decent sales estimation, multiply the Steam user review by 25. And check out all their games, don't cherrypick ignoring the biggest ones like Destiny 2, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I hope so, all resources need to be solely dedicated to the console and VR and improving console gamers experience. Remakes/Remasters of classics >>> pc ports.

This is wrong. As in all quarterly reports, This Q2 Sony also reported the PC games in the same segment they always did.
It's not wrong, they didn't mention it once at all explicitly during the presentations, not even a one off comment. Every earnings report conference call since PC ports began has mentioned PC, this is the first one that hasn't. Not saying that it means anything though of course because it probably means nothing.
The use of concurrent player engagement metrics being used to frame some kind of point for old single player ports… is retarded.
It doesn't matter what metric you use, all results are abysmal.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's not wrong, they didn't mention it once at all explicitly during the presentations, not even a one off comment. Every earnings report conference call since PC ports began has mentioned PC, this is the first one that hasn't. Not saying that it means anything though of course because it probably means nothing.
Yes, his post was wrong and yours too.

In this Q2 they reported the PC games performance, in the same way they do in every quarterly report: posting the revenue of its segment. And they posted record revenue for that segment again, it keeps growing. This year in Q2 that segment made twice of the revenue it did last year.

Here "Other software" is 1st party games sold in non-PS hardware (so basically PC + MLB & Destiny 2 in Xbox, SIE shouldn't have mobile revenue right now) and "others" is mainly accesories as PSVR2:

image.png

In the reporting of the previous quarter (Q1, not Q2) they changed how the "other" stuff gets reported, so now "other software" doesn't include accesories anymore:
image.png

The reports where they go into detail for each area, including PC, are the annual reports, not the quarterly ones. In all the yearly reports during this PC ports push they posted record numbers too, always improving the numbers of the previous year. And their forecast is that it will continue growing, and growing faster than before.

It doesn't matter what metric you use, all results are abysmal.
Sales, revenue and (even if we don't the exact number) profits aren't abysmal, they are good and are in a multi year growing trend. It's a very profitable initiative.

As can be seen above, SIE games made 67725M yen / $447M outside PS last fiscal year, and 37178M yen / $245M so far in the H1 of the current FY.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Low effort pc ports are not a waste of resources. Especially when considering VR2 exists and generates zilch for consumer interest and sales.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Low effort pc ports are not a waste of resources. Especially when considering VR2 exists and generates zilch for consumer interest and sales.
As can be seen above, both the segment for SIE game sales outside PS and the segment of accesories generted more revenue during Q1 & Q2 than in the previous fiscal year.

All their segments grew YoY during Q1 and Q2, with the exception of physical sales for PS, which had a small decline (normal because in the previous years they had relatively recent HFW and GT7 releases, plus the yearly decline trend of physical sales is for everybody in all consoles and not only Sony 1st party games).

Last edited:

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
They should just release gaas games on pc and leave the sp games to the console only. I see no point in releasing them on pc when they barely sell and in cases like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Sackboy A Big Adventure, it was pointless releasing those games later on pc seeing as those games dont have an audience on pc , sold poorly and had low concurrent player numbers ( Sackboy had like 610 concurrent players which is awful).

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They should just release gaas games on pc and leave the sp games to the console only. I see no point in releasing them on pc when they barely sell and in cases like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Sackboy A Big Adventure, it was pointless releasing those games later on pc seeing as those games dont have an audience on pc , sold poorly and had low concurrent player numbers ( Sackboy had like 610 concurrent players which is awful).

To be fair these games didn't sell all that well on console either

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There are major issues with PC ports.

The main one is that it makes PC almost a one stop shop to experience everything and massively increases the value proposition of buying a PC over a console. The whole initiative is shortsighted.

Over a generation a catalog of exclusives works as a big pull factor with many gamers waiting for releases to compound before buying into a platform... now this compounding effect cannot happen due to ports continuously undermining the library.

Since PC ports have begun, we have seen more bugs and less focus on the console releases and generally on the platform. It's a distraction from the main business and dangerous. It's a short-term money grab that Nintendo never engaged in for good reason.

We can clearly see the damage PCports have done to Xbox, it's a platform that lost it's momentum and console sales / platform growth is all about momentum and NOT taking things for granted, cause the minute you take things for granted is right before you get completely screwed.

Shawn Layden, I am told, decided to do PC ports...he is gone and Jim Ryan continued and increased the PC ports.... and he is going soon and probably not by choice.... if these were successful executives with successful ideas, then they wouldn't have been pushed out and this PC initiative is their baby... and it's a failure. The numbers they talked about never materialized and it's just not worth it.

24 Jun 2022
There are major issues with PC ports.

The main one is that it makes PC almost a one stop shop to experience everything and massively increases the value proposition of buying a PC over a console. The whole initiative is shortsighted.

Over a generation a catalog of exclusives works as a big pull factor with many gamers waiting for releases to compound before buying into a platform... now this compounding effect cannot happen due to ports continuously undermining the library.

Since PC ports have begun, we have seen more bugs and less focus on the console releases and generally on the platform. It's a distraction from the main business and dangerous. It's a short-term money grab that Nintendo never engaged in for good reason.

We can clearly see the damage PCports have done to Xbox, it's a platform that lost it's momentum and console sales / platform growth is all about momentum and NOT taking things for granted, cause the minute you take things for granted is right before you get completely screwed.

Shawn Layden, I am told, decided to do PC ports...he is gone and Jim Ryan continued and increased the PC ports.... and he is going soon and probably not by choice.... if these were successful executives with successful ideas, then they wouldn't have been pushed out and this PC initiative is their baby... and it's a failure. The numbers they talked about never materialized and it's just not worth it.

Already been happening in clear view with Horizon Forbidden West and now Spiderman 2.

Also Shawn Layden never focused on bringing the big marquee games to PC, it was the side games like Predators: Hunting Grounds. I'm almost convinced now that part of the reason he abruptly left SIE was because some internally pushed to bring the marquee games to PC and Layden probably saw what a bad idea that would be long-term for the console's value proposition.

Hence, the sudden exit in whatever power struggle ensued. Jim Ryan, who was mainly focused on short-term financial gains, didn't see an issue with porting the marquee non-GaaS titles, but the long-term effects of that pattern at the current (or accelerated) cadence won't manifest more fully until new hardware launches such as the PlayStation 6.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Already been happening in clear view with Horizon Forbidden West and now Spiderman 2.

Also Shawn Layden never focused on bringing the big marquee games to PC, it was the side games like Predators: Hunting Grounds. I'm almost convinced now that part of the reason he abruptly left SIE was because some internally pushed to bring the marquee games to PC and Layden probably saw what a bad idea that would be long-term for the console's value proposition.

Hence, the sudden exit in whatever power struggle ensued. Jim Ryan, who was mainly focused on short-term financial gains, didn't see an issue with porting the marquee non-GaaS titles, but the long-term effects of that pattern at the current (or accelerated) cadence won't manifest more fully until new hardware launches such as the PlayStation 6.
Playstation 6 will definitely be affected by PC ports, ans Sony executives won't admit it and will put it on something else such as "people don't buy consoles anymore"

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
So then why release them on pc knowing they wont sell at all and have an even lesser audience there? I doubt Rift Apart will even get half of the amount of sales it got on Ps5
If Rift Apart, released on PC for $70 2 years after PS5 sold "half" what it sold on PS5, that would be an incredible success.

It seems like some Iconers don't realize how close this is to free money.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Yeah, I can't ever remember so many bugs getting through before the PC ports happened, I don't know how it is impacting the pipeline but it is...

GAAS on PC was never really an issue for me and even MLB...since it's such an american centric sport...makes sense to put on all platforms, I guess.

I always maintained that the Nintendo way of doing things is the right way. I don't even mind if the graphics have to be scaled back a little or the length of games comes down from 40 hours to 15 hours on average. But having full exclusives is an absolute necessity as a platform holder.

The ONLY reason a platform holder should be making games is for exclusive content to attract customers. Look at Valve... they make hardly any games anymore... they have no interest cause people come to their platform anyway and If the PS exclusive games are so expensive and they keep complaining about that, maybe they should just stop making all games and focus everything on hardware sales....

OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Insanely stupid thread. @Puff what are you claiming is the significance of this random twitter exchange?

It's a beautiful Thread. Because PC gamers don't buy games, they just pirate them! Playstation is the only Plattform keeps Gaming going.

Reactions: Diah

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's a beautiful Thread. Because PC gamers don't buy games, they just pirate them! Playstation is the only Plattform keeps Gaming going.
Ok so you really do think random twitter chats with 11 followers are worth posting a thread about. Ignored.