There’s no mention of PC ports in Sony's latest financial report

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Wishful thinking: the thread. Sadly for you folks this train ain't stopping

2024 will likely have HFW, Demons Souls/Ghosts and Ragnarok, plus the GaaS releases like Helldivers 2. Consoles won't go anywhere, just chill.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Nobody played Returnal and Sackboy.
Surprisingly, even uncharted4 did shit numbers and I would expect at least that one to be big.

Pc players are not willing to shell 50-60$ for single player games usually. Let alone 70$....
I am happy to pay 70$ for new games on disc on ps5 since this is the way to support this mode and ensure we get more new single player games and not just gamepass fodder.
And yes - I've bought new fullprice Immortals of Aveum and Forsoken too. I like supporting these single player endeavors

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nobody played Returnal and Sackboy.
Surprisingly, even uncharted4 did shit numbers and I would expect at least that one to be big.

Pc players are not willing to shell 50-60$ for single player games usually. Let alone 70$....
I am happy to pay 70$ for new games on disc on ps5 since this is the way to support this mode and ensure we get more new single player games and not just gamepass fodder.
And yes - I've bought new fullprice Immortals of Aveum and Forsoken too. I like supporting these single player endeavors
Disproven and buried by Baldurs Gate 3. PC gamers don't like paying full price for 2+ year old games. Nobody does. PS needs to get to day and date PC releases.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
If Rift Apart, released on PC for $70 2 years after PS5 sold "half" what it sold on PS5, that would be an incredible success.

It seems like some Iconers don't realize how close this is to free money.

Agreed. Outsourced late ports after their retail run is mostly exhausted.

Im aware Jim Ryan called pc a competitor but I have never subscribed to this. To actually outperform current consoles you have to pay 4x the cost.

I won’t knock pc gamers. If that’s your preferred interface feel free. Consoles are design for mass market audiences and have replaced cable boxes in the home. And considering how hardware and software moves for both Sony and Nintendo. Yea gaming only gonna grow.

Expectations should also be in check. Warriors will hugely exaggerate how big steam’s active userbase is for instance. These are post-mortem releases and anything over 100k in sales is pretty much a win IMO. The concurrent player metric has little value for single player ports especially way after their original release. Player engagement metrics like that are influenced by game length and online modes. A 10 hour action game won’t ever do numbers outside its launch weekend.

Then there’s the potential of growing Sony’s brand in international Asian and South American markets where consoles aren’t exactly as readily available. Even if the future turns platform agnostic building their branding in every corner of the world should be of paramount importance.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
There are major issues with PC ports.

The main one is that it makes PC almost a one stop shop to experience everything and massively increases the value proposition of buying a PC over a console. The whole initiative is shortsighted.

Over a generation a catalog of exclusives works as a big pull factor with many gamers waiting for releases to compound before buying into a platform... now this compounding effect cannot happen due to ports continuously undermining the library.

Since PC ports have begun, we have seen more bugs and less focus on the console releases and generally on the platform. It's a distraction from the main business and dangerous. It's a short-term money grab that Nintendo never engaged in for good reason.

We can clearly see the damage PCports have done to Xbox, it's a platform that lost it's momentum and console sales / platform growth is all about momentum and NOT taking things for granted, cause the minute you take things for granted is right before you get completely screwed.

Shawn Layden, I am told, decided to do PC ports...he is gone and Jim Ryan continued and increased the PC ports.... and he is going soon and probably not by choice.... if these were successful executives with successful ideas, then they wouldn't have been pushed out and this PC initiative is their baby... and it's a failure. The numbers they talked about never materialized and it's just not worth it.
yep. Pc push is foregoing single player AAA at least partially. That's because it's a perfect gaas platfor.
While consoles invite creation of AAA single player games to sell consoles.

As you've said. One just need to look at what happened to xbox. They could've created 350+ tlou2 budgeted games but they spend 70mil for services because they can't sell consoles.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Disproven and buried by Baldurs Gate 3. PC gamers don't like paying full price for 2+ year old games. Nobody does. PS needs to get to day and date PC releases.
There is also elden ring and Hogwarts.
A good game is a good game. There are always exceptions.
Baldurs is especially big on PC since it's a classic pc franchise and genre.

I wonder how much Elden and Hogwarts sold on PS5 compared to steam.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Already been happening in clear view with Horizon Forbidden West and now Spiderman 2.

Also Shawn Layden never focused on bringing the big marquee games to PC, it was the side games like Predators: Hunting Grounds. I'm almost convinced now that part of the reason he abruptly left SIE was because some internally pushed to bring the marquee games to PC and Layden probably saw what a bad idea that would be long-term for the console's value proposition.

Hence, the sudden exit in whatever power struggle ensued. Jim Ryan, who was mainly focused on short-term financial gains, didn't see an issue with porting the marquee non-GaaS titles, but the long-term effects of that pattern at the current (or accelerated) cadence won't manifest more fully until new hardware launches such as the PlayStation 6.
I really wonder how many ps5 consoles and Ragnarod, SM2 and HFW sales were lost with pc gamers thinking "oh great, these games will come next year anyway, so I don't need to get ps5. I can wait and pirate or get the games on sale on cdkeys".
1000% this is happening. All these exclusives do add up. Just this and last year alone gt7, hfw, ragnarok, ff16, sm2 and maybe some other stuff. maybe one of these or two are not enough to make someone buy a ps5 and games but 5? 6? 10? sure.

Although I've bought ps4 slim in 2017 for bloodborne and this alone was justifiable... and it opened me to a world of games not on pc. Best move ever.
And there are pc gamers still daily begging for bloodborne instead of getting used ps4 slim or whatever years ago. And after years of begging, it will b pirated anyway

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I really wonder how many ps5 consoles and Ragnarod, SM2 and HFW sales were lost with pc gamers thinking "oh great, these games will come next year anyway, so I don't need to get ps5. I can wait and pirate or get the games on sale on cdkeys".
1000% this is happening. All these exclusives do add up. Just this and last year alone gt7, hfw, ragnarok, ff16, sm2 and maybe some other stuff. maybe one of these or two are not enough to make someone buy a ps5 and games but 5? 6? 10? sure.

Although I've bought ps4 slim in 2017 for bloodborne and this alone was justifiable... and it opened me to a world of games not on pc. Best move ever.
And there are pc gamers still daily begging for bloodborne instead of getting used ps4 slim or whatever years ago. And after years of begging, it will b pirated anyway

Something else that I was thinking about is the PS5 Pro that is due to come out next year....

How many sales could be lost now that they have these games ported to PC too... many gamers would have upgraded just based on the fact exclusives will run better, have better aa, lighting, ray-tracing, fps etc... but they are already upgraded on PC and will Sony be charging a 10 euro upgrade fee again?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Low effort pc ports are not a waste of resources. Especially when considering VR2 exists and generates zilch for consumer interest and sales.
your trolling is getting worse by the day
Yes, his post was wrong and yours too.
I don’t know why I even bother responding to you since you ALWAYS just ignore what people say 🤦‍♂️ No I’m not wrong, I was actually listening to the conference call live, PC wasn’t brought up a single time. That’s a contrast from previous earnings calls where PC was talked about. Which is what I said in my original post if you actually read it. Please READ what people say before blindly typing long pointless paragraphs.
Since PC ports have begun, we have seen more bugs
This is true, the only game from last gen that had bugs was Days Gone. Everything else was practically flawless. This generation almost every release has at least minor bugs. Horizon FW was the worst at launch, and that was directly due to PC. Guerilla wasted months patching the HZD PC port, which caused HFW to be delayed right into Elden Rings launch window and it released in a rough state.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Over a generation a catalog of exclusives works as a big pull factor with many gamers waiting for releases to compound before buying into a platform... now this compounding effect cannot happen due to ports continuously undermining the library.
This doesn’t get talked about enough, I didn’t get the Switch till much later because the library was finally large enough to justify a purchase. Since then I’ve bought multiple day one 1st and 3rd party releases and subscribed to their online service. That never would’ve happened if they’d just ported their games to other platforms. Can’t believe that Sony doesn’t understand something so basic.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don’t know why I even bother responding to you since you ALWAYS just ignore what people say 🤦‍♂️ No I’m not wrong, I was actually listening to the conference call live, PC wasn’t brought up a single time. That’s a contrast from previous earnings calls where PC was talked about. Which is what I said in my original post if you actually read it. Please READ what people say before blindly typing long pointless paragraphs.
Yes, in addition to being wrong you are now lying:

I watched this conference call I also did watch all the previous ones since way before they started to release the PC ports, and the only PC numbers and data they shared in previous ones were the same ones already included in the related fiscal report. They never shared PC ports sales or data only in conference calls other than to same that already was in the report but with -sometimes- other words.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's a beautiful Thread. Because PC gamers don't buy games, they just pirate them! Playstation is the only Plattform keeps Gaming going.
As I shown before, SIE games did outside PS $692M these two quarters and the previous fiscal year combined. Some people may pìrate them, but PC players buy PS games and Sony makes a lot of money with them.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Yes, in addition to being wrong you are now lying:

I watched this conference call I also did watch all the previous ones since way before they started to release the PC ports, and the only PC numbers and data they shared in previous ones were the same ones already included in the related fiscal report. They never shared PC ports sales or data only in conference calls other than to same that already was in the report but with -sometimes- other words.
Huh? I don’t even get what you’re trying to say 🤦‍♂️ What did I lie about? Was pc mentioned by any of the speakers in the last call? NO!!! Was PC mentioned by speakers in previous calls? YES!! I think you need new reading glasses

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This doesn’t get talked about enough, I didn’t get the Switch till much later because the library was finally large enough to justify a purchase. Since then I’ve bought multiple day one 1st and 3rd party releases and subscribed to their online service. That never would’ve happened if they’d just ported their games to other platforms. Can’t believe that Sony doesn’t understand something so basic.
Yeah even when there are old exclusives (like uncharted 4 was o bloodborne)... but when the new very interesting game comes out like ff16... these 2 old games might be enough to "oh fuck it, I will get that damn ps5 and play this old stuff too, at least it wont be only for ff16"

Reactions: JAHGamer
24 Jun 2022
If Rift Apart, released on PC for $70 2 years after PS5 sold "half" what it sold on PS5, that would be an incredible success.

It seems like some Iconers don't realize how close this is to free money.

PS5 supply was heavily constrained and much smaller back in 2021. Meanwhile, Steam install base was already over 100 million and around at least 120 million once Rift Apart came to the platform...but it could only do "half" the number it did on a platform with under 20 million when it originally came out in 2021?

🤔...

Yeah, I can't ever remember so many bugs getting through before the PC ports happened, I don't know how it is impacting the pipeline but it is...

GAAS on PC was never really an issue for me and even MLB...since it's such an american centric sport...makes sense to put on all platforms, I guess.

I always maintained that the Nintendo way of doing things is the right way. I don't even mind if the graphics have to be scaled back a little or the length of games comes down from 40 hours to 15 hours on average. But having full exclusives is an absolute necessity as a platform holder.

The ONLY reason a platform holder should be making games is for exclusive content to attract customers. Look at Valve... they make hardly any games anymore... they have no interest cause people come to their platform anyway and If the PS exclusive games are so expensive and they keep complaining about that, maybe they should just stop making all games and focus everything on hardware sales....

Yeah Nintendo's strategy in terms of expansion has easily been the best out of the three. When they went to mobile, they didn't straight port their Wii U/Switch games because they knew that'd cheapen the value proposition of buying their hardware and also force lower margins on software sales. So, they outsourced specific mobile versions of those IP for the mobile platform, leveraging the specific benefits of mobile smartphone devices (e.g Pokemon GO!).

Meanwhile, they've made no moves on PC because they likely realize the crossover with the PC gaming market and console/portable console market. In absolute terms, they know PC/Steam competes with console space, even Jim Ryan's admitted it. So, if PC gamers want to (legally) play Nintendo's games, they need Nintendo hardware. Create the demand and the players will come.

Microsoft have no real reliance on gaming revenue or profits to prop up their bottom line, and they have a vested interest in PC via the Windows OS monopoly (and, yes, Windows is a monopoly; look at the practices MS used with OEMs to box out alternative OSes from IBM, BeOS etc. back in the late 80s and through the '90s, for example. It's current existence is built on anticompetitive, monopolistic practices from the '80s and '90s). For them, Day 1 and bringing ALL of their games to PC is a logical choice to maximize their production budgets and cover multiple vested interests (console gaming, PC gaming, PC OS, middleware, SDK saturation etc.) simultaneously.

Sony have almost zero vested interests in PC anymore; it's not like back when they developed the 3.5 inch floppy or had the VAIO computer line. At BEST, they have a vested interest in Decima engine proliferation, but that is still a proprietary, in-house engine with very selective licensing out to only very few developers (such as Kojima Productions), mainly on the basis of developing PlayStation exclusive or timed-exclusive games with SIE publishing in some capacity. It isn't an "open" engine the way UE5 is.

So, Sony have no vested interests on PC (no open-use engine, SDK, hardware product line, majority middleware solution, OS, launcher/storefront etc.), yet they are prioritizing PC over mobile, where they actually DO have some vested interests (Sony Ericsson smartphones, Aniplex mobile games, etc.), and where the platform itself creates much less ecosystem conflict with the PlayStation console. Logically speaking, it makes no sense and just creates increasingly longer-term conflicts and damage to the console side, which is their bread and butter.

Worst yet is that if Sony limited the PC focus to just GaaS titles and at most legacy catalog titles from prior generations getting QoL compilation updates, then the PC strategy would be more synergetic with console and not create a cannibalization threat. But at least so far, that has not been the case and who's to say if other non-GaaS marquee current-gen releases that only came out on the console 1 or 2 years ago suddenly get PC announcements too. Or, if the window for PC ports shrinks down to 1 year, or even Day 1, for non-GaaS.

Wishful thinking: the thread. Sadly for you folks this train ain't stopping

2024 will likely have HFW, Demons Souls/Ghosts and Ragnarok, plus the GaaS releases like Helldivers 2. Consoles won't go anywhere, just chill.

PS5 sales won't nosedive in a single year. But you'll see a small, slowly increasing drop in the tail end within the latter years of the gen. And, depending on how aggressive the PC strategy establishes itself by the next gen, you'll see quite slower PS6 adoption vs. PS5 and PS4.

Why? Because the early adopters will have been conditioned to buy into PC, especially if they don't have FOMO, or if cross-gen will be persistent for the first couple of years, or by some crazy move Sony does Day 1 for non-GaaS titles to PC. Like I said, you won't see the decline until a few years after it's set in, same with Xbox.

Sony are just fortunate that PlayStation has a higher ceiling than Xbox as a console brand, so at worst they'd probably see a decline to 70-80 million lifetime unit sales if they did everything in their power to prioritize PC for non-GaaS 1P titles. Which is looking to be 20-25 million higher than where Xbox Series is seeming to end this current gen (assuming MS launches another gen in 2028).

BG3 is a VERY PC-centric IP, and style of game. Sony's marquee non-GaaS titles do not fit that mold whatsoever.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Exceptions don't disprove the rule