There’s no mention of PC ports in Sony's latest financial report

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What I understand is that your personal guess is that Spider-Man was the best selling game on PC in FY22 having nothing to back this. You also make a personal guess to say Destiny 2 PC did $100-$130M of the $250M again having nothing to back this. These are just personal guesses, not maths.

A few facts using maths:

These Spider-Man tracked numbers cover 8 months and a half -including a Christmas season in the middle-of sales and the TLOU covers only less than a month (3 days inside FY22 counting for the $250M).

As of now, 7 months and a half after release -with no Christmas season in the middle- TLOU has 41339 reviews (which with the x25 estimate method would mean around 1.03M units sold LTD).

Destiny 2 PC revenue included in the $250M only are counted since Bungie acquisition was completed, July 16, 2022. In FY2023 will be counted instead for the whole FY.

As of now, Spider-Man has 81521 reviews (x25 estimate of around 2.04M units sold LTD), GoW PC has 112470 reviews (x25 estimate of around 2.81M units sold LTD), HZD PC has 102315 reviews (x25 estimate of 2.56M), Days Gone PC has 69246 reviews (x25 estimate of around 1.73M).

So my personal guess:

Pretty likely TLOU PC and Spider-Man PC after their first Christmas season and launch aligned with the same number of months they will have pretty similar sales numbers, with TLOU likely a bit under Spider-Man.
Unbelievable.

Tell us your fan fictions about which games sold more than $53m / 1.5m copies in PC in FY22…

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Unbelievable.

Tell us your fan fictions about which games sold more than $53m / 1.5m copies in PC in FY22…
I post factual data and comment it or make some guesses based on them. You're the one of fan fictions with nothing to back them, not me.

If we would have the Steam user reviews of the Sony games in March 31 of 2022 and 2023 we could make a more or less decent estimate of their sales in Steam (but not of revenue due to discounts, different currencies, other stores, etc), but isn't the case.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I post factual data and comment it or make some guesses based on them. You're the one of fan fictions with nothing to back them, not me.

If we would have the Steam user reviews of the Sony games in March 31 of 2022 and 2023 we could make a more or less decent estimate of their sales in Steam (but not of revenue due to discounts, different currencies, other stores, etc), but isn't the case.
Sure.

Some unknown Sony first-party that is not Destiny last year sold better than Spider-man on PC.
And I'm the one that create fan fictions 😂😂😂

You can look what you want in Steam... all the games except Spider-man failed to sell the bare minimum and that includes TLOU PC.

Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sure.

Some unknown Sony first-party that is not Destiny last year sold better than Spider-man on PC.
And I'm the one that create fan fictions 😂😂😂

You can look what you want in Steam... all the games except Spider-man failed to sell the bare minimum and that includes TLOU PC.
They aren't unknown, we you know what other games are in PC, it's a fact they are there and that make money because we can see them in Steam and we see in Sony's reports that they make hundreds of millions and we can estimate their approximated sales from Steam reviews, which normally pretty decently match aproximatedly the numbers from Sony and other publishers.

But people like you reject any fact that doesn't align with your wishes because of potatoes. You prefer to instead to believe in your fantasies that go against the facts. Like saying nonsensical stuff like that something very cheap that generates them dozens or hundreds of millions of dollars per year in revenue (being highly profitable) is a failure. It would be funny as a joke but I think you are not joking or trolling, I think you really believe that bullshit even when putting Sony's repots and Steam reviews in your face.

• haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They aren't unknown, we you know what other games are in PC, it's a fact they are there and that make money because we can see them in Steam and we see in Sony's reports that they make hundreds of millions and we can estimate their approximated sales from Steam reviews, which normally pretty decently match aproximatedly the numbers from Sony and other publishers.

But people like you reject any fact that doesn't align with your wishes because of potatoes. You prefer to instead to believe in your fantasies that go against the facts. Like saying nonsensical stuff like that something very cheap that generates them dozens or hundreds of millions of dollars per year in revenue (being highly profitable) is a failure. It would be funny as a joke but I think you are not joking or trolling, I think you really believe that bullshit even when putting Sony's repots and Steam reviews in your face.
I have no ideia what world you live.
Except for some titles PC port sales are laughable bad including TLOU PC.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I have no ideia what world you live.
Except for some titles PC port sales are laughable bad including TLOU PC.
I live in a world where SIE games made $692M outside PS in the last year and a half, with mostly around half a dozen full priced ports -which are very cheap to make compared to a new AAA game, so most of this revenue is profit- of old games which already sold most of the copies they could sell on PS, a sunseting old multiplatform GaaS shooter and a baseball game that almost nobody buys outside USA. A world where $692M is a lot of money, which they said they'll use to help them fund brand new games.

A world where we saw that segment grow YoY in every Sony fiscal report shared to their investors, and as an example this Q2 made the double of revenue of the Q2 of the previous year even if they didn't have any new release this Q2 and most recent SIE release outside PS was TLOUP1 PC in late March. A world where a 10K investment to grow to 20K in 5 years would have around a 14% CAGR. And SIE PC releases have a 133% CAGR in 4 years, which means it's having a crazy growth.

A world where doubling your revenue and having such crazy multi year growth in a very profitable segment is a great success instead of "laughable bad" "failure". And a world where we are seeing that their success in PC doesn't negatively affect at all to their console business, which intead of being negatively affected, it keeps improving its revenue in all fronts: hardware, game sales, add-ons, game subs and accesories.

A world where TLOU Steam only had two 20% discounts on its first 7 months and a half, and still didn't have it's first black friday/holidays season. And where Spider-Man Steam on its 7 months and a half had had a 20% discount, two 25% discounts, two 33% discount plus a black friday+holidays season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I live in a world where SIE games made $692M outside PS in the last year and a half, with mostly around half a dozen full priced ports -which are very cheap to make compared to a new AAA game, so most of this revenue is profit- of old games which already sold most of the copies they could sell on PS, a sunseting old multiplatform GaaS shooter and a baseball game that almost nobody buys outside USA. A world where $692M is a lot of money, which they said they'll use to help them fund brand new games.

A world where we saw that segment grow YoY in every Sony fiscal report shared to their investors, and as an example this Q2 made the double of revenue of the Q2 of the previous year even if they didn't have any new release this Q2 and most recent SIE release outside PS was TLOUP1 PC in late March. A world where a 10K investment to grow to 20K in 5 years would have around a 14% CAGR. And SIE PC releases have a 133% CAGR in 4 years, which means it's having a crazy growth.

A world where doubling your revenue and having such crazy multi year growth in a very profitable segment is a great success instead of "laughable bad" "failure". And a world where we are seeing that their success in PC doesn't negatively affect at all to their console business, which intead of being negatively affected, it keeps improving its revenue in all fronts: hardware, game sales, add-ons, game subs and accesories.

A world where TLOU Steam only had two 20% discounts on its first 7 months and a half, and still didn't have it's first black friday/holidays season. And where Spider-Man Steam on its 7 months and a half had had a 20% discount, two 25% discounts, two 33% discount plus a black friday+holidays season.
Dodging questions lol

You are including others things into PC to make it better too.

PC Revenue in FY:

FY20: $35 million
FY21: $80 million
FY22: $250 million * yeap includes Destiny 2 that around for more than half of the revenue *

Whatever they made $600 million outside PS in that random period is not important to analyse Sony first-party PC market.

The notable in sales PC new first-party titles outside Live Services expansions (aka Destiny 2) was:

1. Spider-man Remastered: 1.5 million units / $52 million revenue
  2. TLOU Part 1: 368k units / $15.5 million revenue **
** Includes FY23 data up to April 23, 2023... so in FY22 it was even lower that that because it was 3 days.

All others PC released did less than these two: Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Returnal,
Let's work out the best case for all the games....

$52m Spiderman
$10m? TLOU (3 days)
$15m? Uncharted (it made ~8m in Steam at first month)
$15m? Sackboy
$15m? Returnal

Total: 107m for new reelase.
Old releases? Well you can say it sold barely nothing but let's give them $33 million to round the maths.

That let $160 million for Destiny 2.

Do you see how bad the situation is even working with some crazy optimistic scenarios? Because it is obvious Sackboy and Returnal didn't even reach $10 million and I used $15 million.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Dodging questions lol

You are including others things into PC to make it better too.

PC Revenue in FY:

FY20: $35 million
FY21: $80 million
FY22: $250 million * yeap includes Destiny 2 that around for more than half of the revenue *

Whatever they made $600 million outside PS in that random period is not important to analyse Sony first-party PC market.

The notable in sales PC new first-party titles outside Live Services expansions (aka Destiny 2) was:

1. Spider-man Remastered: 1.5 million units / $52 million revenue
  2. TLOU Part 1: 368k units / $15.5 million revenue **
** Includes FY23 data up to April 23, 2023... so in FY22 it was even lower that that because it was 3 days.

All others PC released did less than these two: Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Returnal,
Let's work out the best case for all the games....

$52m Spiderman
$10m? TLOU (3 days)
$15m? Uncharted (it made ~8m in Steam at first month)
$15m? Sackboy
$15m? Returnal

Total: 107m for new reelase.
Old releases? Well you can say it sold barely nothing but let's give them $33 million to round the maths.

That let $160 million for Destiny 2.

Do you see how bad the situation is even working with some crazy optimistic scenarios? Because it is obvious Sackboy and Returnal didn't even reach $10 million and I used $15 million.
I am not dodging anything, I'm just sharing the info that SIE shares and the data available in Steam (the available factual data).

And as I said, we don't have enough factual data to estimate the game specific revenue of SIE revenue generated in PC during FY22 aside from Spider-Man Remastered.

For them with that strategy the important thing was to grow the revenue from their games outside PS, mostly porting some of their PS Studios games to PC and later acquiring Bungie. So they explained first how they started performing their PC ports and later when they had Bungie too they added the Bungie numbers.

In the past they only had MLB on rival consoles that barely debuted there (was something new and they weren't going to change their reporting for a single game), and now they also have Destiny 2 on XBox and in the next FY Marathon too, so decided to report it together as SIE games revenue made outisde PS.

We know that SIE games (including Destiny 2 maybe the full year) made $447M outside PS during FY2022 and $245M during H1 FY2023. We know that $250M of the $447M FY20222 comes from PC counting Destiny 2 only since acquisition was completed. And we know $52M of it was from Spider-Man PC but have no data to make a proper estimate of the other games.

Regarding old releases yes, Sony has PC games released even in 2015 as Helldivers 1. And other PC games that aren't that old but were released before FY2022 such as God of War, Horizon and Days Gone that you are conveniently ignoring in every post, cherrypicking to build your fantasy about a fictional disaster on PC because they are big sellers.

They wanted to make extra revenue outside PS, mostly on PC (until they start to have their mobile business ready) to get extra money to fund more games. In FY2022 they did $447M and in H1 FY2023 $245M (54.38% up YoY). Doesn't sound as a bad situation to me, but the opposite.

You guys keep talking about revenue when it's the MARGIN what Sony is after.
The profit margin of porting an old game is way higher than the one of a new release. Even if you have to pay the revenue share to someone else in the port and not in the new game, due to the total cost of the port being way lower than making a new game.

Last edited:
  • haha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I am not dodging anything, I'm just sharing the info that SIE shares and the data available in Steam (the available factual data).

And as I said, we don't have enough factual data to estimate the revenue of non-Bungie SIE revenue generated in PC during FY22 aside from Spider-Man Remastered.

For them with that strategy the important thing was to grow the revenue from their games outside PS, mostly porting some of their games too PC and acquiring Bungie. So they explained first how they started reporting their PC ports and later when they had Bungie too they added Bungie.

In the past they only had MLB on rival consoles that barely debuted there, and now they also have Destiny 2 on XBox, so decided to report it together as SIE games revenue made outisde PS.

We know that SIE games (including Destiny 2 maybe the full year) made $447M outside PS during FY2022 and $245M during H1 FY2023. We know that $250M of the $447M FY20222 comes from PC counting Destiny 2 only since acquisition was completed. And we know $52M of it was from Spider-Man PC but have no data to make a proper estimate of the other games.

Regarding old releases yes, Sony has PC games released even in 2015 as Helldivers 1. And other PC games that aren't that old but were released before FY2022 such as God of War, Horizon and Days Gone you are conveniently ignoring in every post, cherrypicking to build your fantasy about a fictional disaster on PC because they are big sellers.

They wanted to make extra revenue outside PS, mostly on PC (until they start to have their mobile business ready) to get extra money to fund more games. In FY2022 they did $447M and in H1 FY2023 $245M (54.38% up YoY). Doesn't sound as a bad situation to me, but the opposite.

The profit margin of porting an old game is way higher than the one of a new release. Even if you have to pay the revenue share to someone else in the port, due to the total cost of the port being way lower than making a new game.
You should change your tag to "Against the Data" :D
No offense... it is just funny.

I'm not sure why you are defensing these bad numbers when Sony themselves are seeing it is not working... so they are trying to make changes to see if it works but right now it is working for them.

Their PC strategy for now except for some big titles was just a failure.
I wonder how much of that get weight to Jimbo be fired (yes retirement is just a gentleman way to say somebody is being forced to leave due results... they even announced in a rush to avoid investor backslash when in a normal retirement path you should already have the new guy to get the position working with Jimbo and when the announce is made when it is just a matter of etiquete because the new guy is already in the full working scheme).

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You should change your tag to "Against the Data" :D
No offense... it is just funny.

I'm not sure why you are defensing these bad numbers when Sony themselves are seeing it is not working... so they are trying to make changes to see if it works but right now it is working for them.

Their PC strategy for now except for some big titles was just a failure.
I wonder how much of that get weight to Jimbo be fired (yes retirement is just a gentleman way to say somebody is being forced to leave due results... they even announced in a rush to avoid investor backslash when in a normal retirement path you should already have the new guy to get the position working with Jimbo and when the announce is made when it is just a matter of etiquete because the new guy is already in the full working scheme).
I am not defending "bad numbers".

I'm just saying that the game specific PC sales estimates numbers you are posting are only baseless made up fan guesses, and that the ones I posted from Sony reports and Steam are factual real data.

And that you keep rejecting the reality seein in the factual data because you prefer to believe in fantasies instead. Including things like saying that the 63 years old CEO, the most successful CEO than any console maker ever had (including the numbers of the current FY), was fired instead of retiring himself. When we have a total of zero facts leading to think he was fired when his division is making record numbers and a great multi year growth in basically every business segment where the are.