Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Take Two, a massive third party publisher, with no hardware platform of their own, will not release what is arguably the biggest game on the planet - GTA6 - on PC day one.

But you guys go ahead and panic about singleplayer PlayStation games going to PC on day one.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I just take this as going a big bigger with their live service plans which will take longer than they expected to get rolling of course. The idea that it’s failed is laughable when Helldivers is their first release and has gone beyond expectations.

Meaning… Gran Turismo 7 will be coming to pc. Expect a soft relaunch with the pso pro update alongside pc release.

I expect them to stay the course. Maybe move up the delayed console ports a bit earlier. Ragnarok port likely sooner than later etc.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ezekiel

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Take Two, a massive third party publisher, with no hardware platform of their own, will not release what is arguably the biggest game on the planet - GTA6 - on PC day one.

But you guys go ahead and panic about singleplayer PlayStation games going to PC on day one.
Sounding just like the current in denial xbox fans. So glad I'm not involved in the mental gymnastics that is console wars and moved to PC where both exclusives are.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sounding just like the current in denial xbox fans. So glad I'm not involved in the mental gymnastics that is console wars and moved to PC where both exclusives are.
What are you on about?

Let me repeat that : Take Two, a massive third party publisher, have decided to not release GTA6 on PC day one.

Did it sink in now?

Why do you think that is?

Would they benefit from releasing everywhere at the same time?

They certainly don't think so.

Now apply the same reasoning to Sony, who also happens to have a leading hardware platform and digital store.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Thnks for your honesty!

Yes, I totally understand (and share) the worries about this hypothetical move because we want Sony to stay in business. But if the day of Playstation publishing games on pc more frequently comes we have to remember that you not only need to compete in games but in the gaming experience too:

* A machine that costs a couple hundred bucks and last for a few years
* Basically plug and play because it has like 2 cables
* The best achievements system I have seen if you like that stuff (they even separate trophies from the main game and the dlcs)
* Games run out of the box (or digital store) and are way more optimized without fiddling textures, frame generation, reflection, shadows, etc (this is avoidable in pc if you buy an expensive gpu, but is still prone to stuttering and bad optimization)

If you are interested in having a pleasent gaming experience with basically zero worries consoles are the way to go in my opinion. I hope sony does too and keep improving Because I buy games that are released on every platform on PS for these reasons.

If you are not going to have that many exclusives you need to sell the best gaming experience on your platform.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Exactly.

Theres was nothing in the statement which suggestive a change in strategy or day 1 releases.

Of course the Xbox and PC crowd have spun this as Day 1.

JamieRose95

7 Feb 2024
No one can’t fault 2000 pound pc that’s what you need to play new god of war and spider Man. So they’re always going to be a consoles.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
No one can’t fault 2000 pound pc that’s what you need to play new god of war and spider Man. So they’re always going to be a consoles.
It's definitely not 2000. The recommended GPU on Steam for GoW is a 1060 6gb, you can get that for $75 USD or so. I'll certainly say the cost barrier to entry for consoles is much lower compared to effort involved, but 2k is not accurate.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's definitely not 2000. The recommended GPU on Steam for GoW is a 1060 6gb, you can get that for $75 USD or so. I'll certainly say the cost barrier to entry for consoles is much lower compared to effort involved, but 2k is not accurate.
That's a PS4 game though.

If you want to look ahead a bit you'll need something much beefier.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Exactly.

Theres was nothing in the statement which suggestive a change in strategy or day 1 releases.

Of course the Xbox and PC crowd have spun this as Day 1.
Jim Ryan is leaving so they are now hating on this new guy and putting words in his mouth like mass layoffs and PC Day 1 to be more fake angry at him.

It's spreading like wildfire on every forum like a new organized campaign. That's why Sony is always silent, the haters will always twist their words.

• they're_right_you_know

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
A PS5 equivalant GPU, the 2070, goes for maybe twice that. It still doesn't even get close to 2k USD.
And then you're stuck upgrading after like 2 years because new games will require more.

People buy the high-end to go a couple years without upgrading, but progress marches on and you need to splurge once more.

And then if it's the CPU that needs upgrading, you might have to change the motherboard, the RAM, the PSU, etc.

There's absolutely no argument that if you want a PC that will last you 7-8 years (a console generation), you'll have to spend a lot, basically the high-end of every component.

JamieRose95

7 Feb 2024
The new god of war spider-Man all the heavy aaa games come from Sony you probably need heavy b beast of a pc.

JamieRose95

7 Feb 2024
And then you're stuck upgrading after like 2 years because new games will require more.

People buy the high-end to go a couple years without upgrading, but progress marches on and you need to splurge once more.

And then if it's the CPU that needs upgrading, you might have to change the motherboard, the RAM, the PSU, etc.

There's absolutely no argument that if you want a PC that will last you 7-8 years (a console generation), you'll have to spend a lot, basically the high-end of every component.
Probably spending about 4000 on a console generation on a pc. No one can’t afford that specially in cost of living. What are people going to choose? Ps or a pc? Definitely a ps so I am not worried

• they're_right_you_know

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nope.
It was already doing bad.
Microsoft SUCKS at marketing.
They've never marketed the console enough, never really invested in markets outside english speaking countries.
They had no good games at all.
A decade of blunder, no 3rd party associated with it, bad partnering while Sony was making Playstation = gaming.
MS was already doing bad before the PC day one experiment.
It did not make a difference. It would die regardless of it.
Im not saying they didnt suck anyway, but alot of people got turned off when they released day and day with PC.

Got on some older forums and twitter and have a look at the comments when they announced it. PS fans ripped into them too.
Now they backtracking years later...
Anyway, Im done with PA if PS do this

Reactions: Diah

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Probably spending about 4000 on a console generation on a pc. No one can’t afford that specially in cost of living. What are people going to choose? Ps or a pc? Definitely a ps so I am not worried
Im Choosing pc. I hate gaming on a PC but fuck it

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

If it was Sony making GTA6 they would put it on PC aparently. :ROFLMAO:

The PS5 lucked out that Take-Two is making GTA6 and not Sony.

Have you completelly abandoned PS5? I can't fully do it, it seems.

Reactions: Diah

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023

If you need to upgrade your motherboard to upgrade your CPU it should be viewed like swapping console generations. I don't know in what world you would need to be frequently upgrading your PSU especially considering the tdp of new cards, e.g. the 4070 super that recently released, is more efficient than 3000 cards making PSU requirements less as you upgrade parts.

You're incorrect about needing to upgrade every few years considering that the 2070 Super, which released before the PS5, is more powerful than the PS5. If you bought a 2070 super in 2019, you are perfectly capable of playing every game released on the PS5 gen, on high most likely, at 1080 60fps. It's been 5 years since that card released, still works fine.

But again the argument wasn't that you didn't have to spend potentially more, it was that it doesn't cost 2k. If you build a PC for $500 and then in 3 years spend an extra $500 on a new GPU (I think the 7800XTs are around $500 USD) that's half of 2k and a 7800XT will play probably all the PS6 gen games at 1440 ultra.

Reactions: Diah and Nhomnhom

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I understand that.
But we are talking about $ billions of increase in revenue.
Still the profits have big falls.

If you need to upgrade your motherboard to upgrade your CPU it should be viewed like swapping console generations. I don't know in what world you would need to be frequently upgrading your PSU especially considering the tdp of new cards, e.g. the 4070 super that recently released, is more efficient than 3000 cards making PSU requirements less as you upgrade parts.

You're incorrect about needing to upgrade every few years considering that the 2070 Super, which released before the PS5, is more powerful than the PS5. If you bought a 2070 super in 2019, you are perfectly capable of playing every game released on the PS5 gen, on high most likely, at 1080 60fps. It's been 5 years since that card released, still works fine.

But again the argument wasn't that you didn't have to spend potentially more, it was that it doesn't cost 2k. If you build a PC for $500 and then in 3 years spend an extra $500 on a new GPU (I think the 7800XTs are around $500 USD) that's half of 2k and a 7800XT will play probably all the PS6 gen games at 1440 ultra.

There's zero chance in hell a 2070 super pulls Spider-Man 2 at over 60fps upscaled to 4k and with ray tracing everywhere. You have to be dreaming.

Hell, it can't run Rift Apart at 4k 30fps like the PS5 does. All of those have DLSS enabled by the way, and only two of them has ray tracing. None run at 3k