Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I seriously think this sounds like PlayStation may be considering more first-party content to release on PC alongside Console. I don't know though, that's just what I think, I don't care if I'm called an xbot by saying this, I already said I don't hate Sony and I have criticism with Xbox. I'm just here to discuss gaming news and games.
Punch You Oh No GIF by GritTV

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
3060 and 2070 are pretty much equal. So your wrong. 3060 also has more vram. so 3060>2070. So a lot of people can run playstation games just fine.
VRAM is important, but it's not all that is important. Hence why the 12gb 4070 cards perform within a ~10% plus or minus range of a 7800XT, which has 33% more VRAM. Also "pretty much equal" is carrying a lot of water here. Lots of things can be "pretty much equal" when you tweak the settings, which PS does be having a unified platform...that's the benefits in having a hardware platform, you can push the parts more efficiently. On the whole for a card released several years later, the 3060 is still at the least as powerful as PS5's GPU, and at time worse (as is the case with variance).

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
VRAM is important, but it's not all that is important. Hence why the 12gb 4070 cards perform within a ~10% plus or minus range of a 7800XT, which has 33% more VRAM. Also "pretty much equal" is carrying a lot of water here. Lots of things can be "pretty much equal" when you tweak the settings, which PS does be having a unified platform...that's the benefits in having a hardware platform, you can push the parts more efficiently. On the whole for a card released several years later, the 3060 is still at the least as powerful as PS5's GPU, and at time worse (as is the case with variance).
They perform ~10% of 7800XT... right now. We're still getting mostly crossgen games. As soon as that stops the fun is over.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
They perform ~10% of 7800XT... right now. We're still getting mostly crossgen games. As soon as that stops the fun is over.
So the recently released 12gb Nvidia GPUs are soon to be useless? Market must be a bunch of suckers if the recently released tech is seemingly worthless. Is the PS5 outdated because Dragon's Dogma can't even run at a stable 30?

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
What are these guys smoking? The inevitable demise of Xbox couldn't come any faster.
Screenshot-20240215-060557-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240215-060958-Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Eggman

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So the recently released 12gb Nvidia GPUs are soon to be useless? Market must be a bunch of suckers if the recently released tech is seemingly worthless. Is the PS5 outdated because Dragon's Dogma can't even run at a stable 30?
...yes? new to nvidia? Also 'useless' is a vague term, it will be usable but you'll have to drop to 1080p or lower settings drastically

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
No their pretty much equal. Go look at the benchmarks. The 3060 has more vram so its the better choice. Steam players can play ps5 games just fine. ps5 is now 4 years out of date.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

I wonder why you would be trying to put the PlayStation on the same level as Xbox? Cant stand these shills.

Reactions: Diah

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Well lets hope its us spinning it. And I really hope Im reading wrong into it.

To me i dont know how you translate it to taking about Ballistic Moon and Until Dawn?

Sony President Hiroki Totoki says he wants to go aggressive in improving margins by growing 1st party with multi-platform #PlayStation

“In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve.

So that is another one we want to proactively work on.I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.” - Hiroki Totoki

Why talk about aggression, and how in the past they want to popularise console and 1st party and to proactively change that idea with other platforms.
If they want to keep everything the same as now, why even make that comment about proactive change?

Either way, Id love to be wrong and if you can explain it better, please do

If you actually watch the shareholders meeting he doesnt saying they want to be aggressive with going multiplatform.

He simply states they are releasing games in PC which will increase profit margins and that they will improve how its done (which can mean many thing like simply better tools or working with other studios).

"I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.”

This comment about being "aggressive increasing profit margins" is a separate statement saying just that, a basic comment that there other ways (not related to pc) to increase profit margins but dows not go into detail. He is just providing vague responses

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If you actually watch the shareholders meeting he doesnt saying they want to be aggressive with going multiplatform.

He simply states they are releasing games in PC which will increase profit margins and that they will improve how its done (which can mean many thing like simply better tools or working with other studios).

"I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.”

This comment about being "aggressive increasing profit margins" is a separate statement saying just that, a basic comment that there other ways (not related to pc) to increase profit margins but dows not go into detail. He is just providing vague responses
Where can one watch the shareholders meeting?
I think they should go more aggressive with focus on the console tbh

• they're_right_you_know

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
What am i reading? How in hell we went to discussing ps games on xbox?

Going day 1 on pc brings bunch of questions:

- how ll they price games. Same game 80 euros on ps5 and 60 on pc? Wont go well.
- ps studios work by using ps5 hardware to core. Little to no experience for pc ports. It they work simultaneously it ll extend release time which they dont want.

I dont see anything new here from ceo. Gaas ll be day 1. Other stuff after 12 months etc. Heck even if they go day on pc i dont see much problem.

But porting to xbox, switch 2? Just lol

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, I didn't move the goalposts. It being equivalent doesn't mean that there isn't variation in performance. Game performance across cards differs based on a variety of factors. Go look at benchmarks for GPUs and you'll find massive variance in performance across titles, of course that holds true here.
This is not a variation though, the PS5 dick slaps that graphics card with R&C. Of course performance varies among cards, which is why it was always dumb to say that the PS5 is a 2070 super. The more current gen games release, the more this will become moronic.

I'll love to see death stranding 2 running on the same settings on a 2070 super.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
The latter half of the generation have been loaded for PS4. Lots of incredible swan songs had been released that made people question how it was even running on a system that was mid when it was released and that was absolutely weak in its 6th year compared to a PC. But first party optimize the system to punch above its weight. It will be exactly the same this generation as well. First party have been cooking for a long time now and the second half of the generation will be beautiful.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Seeing people spin this multiplatform comment so hard. If you actually watch the shareholders meeting he is just giving vague answers to question that have been asked multiple times.

He isn't trying to say they changed their PC strategy, he is just saying they are trying to improve it which can mean tons of things like what they are doing with Ballistic Moon and Until Dawn.

People are acting like he is saying they will start making their games multiplatform faster, he does not. They have been trying to release them two or more years later and nothing they said changes that.

The comment about being "aggressive improving profit margins" was just a general comment, not specifically about PC games.

>"He isn't trying to say they changed their PC strategy"

He clearly states that "in the past, we wanted to popularize console" he then goes on to say that first party content was the way they went with to make it popular, and he says "it is true, but there's a synergy to it" then proceeds to talk about strong first party content "not only with our console, but also other platforms, like computers." He also states "First party can be grown with multi-platforms and that can help operating profit to improve."

I genuinely think this sounds like even more games are going to release on PC, it may not necessarily mean more Day & Date, but I would not be surprised at all considering the MASSIVE success that Helldivers 2 has been since launch. It shows Sony they have a market on PC if they don't wait a year or two, because by then, the hype has already died out.

> "The comment about being "aggressive improving profit margins" was just a general comment, not specifically about PC games."

It may not specifically be about PC games but it does, in fact, include PC games, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned their "past" and then mentioned the "synergy" to it, which means it is absolutely in their plans, aggressively improving profit margins, in his book, according to his statements today, absolutely is also about PC games.

--
This is not spin, and I don't know why people are trying to call it spin. It is from the mouth of the man himself.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

He clearly states that "in the past, we wanted to popularize console" he then goes on to say that first party content was the way they went with to make it popular, and he says "it is true, but there's a synergy to it" then proceeds to talk about strong first party content "not only with our console, but also other platforms, like computers." He also states "First party can be grown with multi-platforms and that can help operating profit to improve."

I genuinely think this sounds like even more games are going to release on PC, it may not necessarily mean more Day & Date, but I would not be surprised at all considering the MASSIVE success that Helldivers 2 has been since launch. It shows Sony they have a market on PC if they don't wait a year or two, because by then, the hype has already died out.

> "The comment about being "aggressive improving profit margins" was just a general comment, not specifically about PC games."

It may not specifically be about PC games but it does, in fact, include PC games, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned their "past" and then mentioned the "synergy" to it, which means it is absolutely in their plans, aggressively improving profit margins, in his book, according to his statements today, absolutely is also about PC games.

--
This is not spin, and I don't know why people are trying to call it spin. It is from the mouth of the man himself.

My God how desperate you are for it to be SonyToo.

The Exec was speaking Japanese so your analysis is a waste of time.

We all know Translations are not 100%.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023

--
But none of this is different than anything they've said in the past few years when they started porting games to PC.

Yes obviously with everything they do they will try to improve how they do it. So yes they will improve how they go about releasing games on PC.

Improving how they release games on PC does not mean releasing faster than the already too year window they have stated in the past

"Improving" can mean many things like have better ports that arent broken, working with other studios like Ballistic Moon who are doing Until Dawn, better advertising, more resources for Nixxes, older catalog and much more.

People thing that means anything about releasing games day and date are doing a massive leap in logic

If that's what he was saying he would say it.

You and I probably put more thought into his word than he did at the time. He was answering a basic question in a shareholders meeting with very vague non descriptive answers.

They likely have hundreds of other ideas on how to improve profit margins that dont include releasing games on PC on day one