Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If you need to upgrade your motherboard to upgrade your CPU it should be viewed like swapping console generations. I don't know in what world you would need to be frequently upgrading your PSU especially considering the tdp of new cards, e.g. the 4070 super that recently released, is more efficient than 3000 cards making PSU requirements less as you upgrade parts.

You're incorrect about needing to upgrade every few years considering that the 2070 Super, which released before the PS5, is more powerful than the PS5. If you bought a 2070 super in 2019, you are perfectly capable of playing every game released on the PS5 gen, on high most likely, at 1080 60fps. It's been 5 years since that card released, still works fine.

But again the argument wasn't that you didn't have to spend potentially more, it was that it doesn't cost 2k. If you build a PC for $500 and then in 3 years spend an extra $500 on a new GPU (I think the 7800XTs are around $500 USD) that's half of 2k and a 7800XT will play probably all the PS6 gen games at 1440 ultra.
People seems to have a wrong idea of PC parts prices because of the pandemic and the mining boom or something (assuming that they aren't being obtuse in bad faith), prices during those times were wild but they got back to normal for some time now.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
The new god of war spider-Man all the heavy aaa games come from Sony you probably need heavy b beast of a pc.
What you're saying doesn't make sense. If you need a beast of a PC, how come a 5 year old GPU better than the PS5's GPU? The reason why most people on PC complain about not being able to run the game is because they have worse PC parts than a PS5. The most popular GPU from Steams 2024 hardware survey was a 3060 which is 10% weaker than the PS5's 2070-equivalant.

• haha
Reactions: Diah and Infinity

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Xbox never recovered since 2014. That was way before Play Anywhere
It hurt them alot.
Maybe start was not the right word, they started to go down hill in 2010.

But Pc day releases just took alot of console sales away from them. and lack of strong exclusives.

Anyway, predicted this with xbox, predicted what a lack of excluisves will do and predicted what gamepass will do.

See yall in a few years when steam profits are up and sony cant sell past PS4 numbers and software sales are down..
Not now, not next year, but in 6-7 years

Reactions: Diah

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If you need to upgrade your motherboard to upgrade your CPU it should be viewed like swapping console generations. I don't know in what world you would need to be frequently upgrading your PSU especially considering the tdp of new cards, e.g. the 4070 super that recently released, is more efficient than 3000 cards making PSU requirements less as you upgrade parts.

You're incorrect about needing to upgrade every few years considering that the 2070 Super, which released before the PS5, is more powerful than the PS5. If you bought a 2070 super in 2019, you are perfectly capable of playing every game released on the PS5 gen, on high most likely, at 1080 60fps. It's been 5 years since that card released, still works fine.

But again the argument wasn't that you didn't have to spend potentially more, it was that it doesn't cost 2k. If you build a PC for $500 and then in 3 years spend an extra $500 on a new GPU (I think the 7800XTs are around $500 USD) that's half of 2k and a 7800XT will play probably all the PS6 gen games at 1440 ultra.
I don't know where you get your prices.

The Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER release price (MSRP) in US was $499 at launch. Currently the RTX 2070 SUPER retail price is $676 on Amazon.

With only 8Gb VRAM, it's gonna struggle as fuck at the end of the gen, if games even run at all.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
There's zero chance in hell a 2070 super pulls Spider-Man 2 at over 60fps upscaled to 4k and with ray tracing everywhere. You have to be dreaming.

Hell, it can't run Rift Apart at 4k 30fps like the PS5 does. All of those have DLSS enabled by the way, and only two of them has ray tracing. None run at 3k

That's partially the benefit of a PS5 and optimising for a PS5. But that's one game and not indicative of performance in every game.

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That's partially the benefit of a PS5 and optimising for a PS5. But that's one game and not indicative of performance in every game.
Let's not move the goalpost. You keep saying that the 2070 super is equivalent to a PS5, yet I just showed you 2 examples where it isn't, and those are current gen exclusives. There's probably more around.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I can get a pretty strong rig if I want to easily but I've decided not to year after year because (one) I know I won't have time to play on it and my PlayStation where the exclusives I want are at and (two) I just don't want to hassle with it.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I don't know where you get your prices.

The Nvidia RTX 2070 SUPER release price (MSRP) in US was $499 at launch. Currently the RTX 2070 SUPER retail price is $676 on Amazon.

With only 8Gb VRAM, it's gonna struggle as fuck at the end of the gen, if games even run at all.
The reason the retail price is higher is because older cards stop being produced and therefore prices rise as supply falls. VRAM is also somewhat irrelevant because it's the chip that matters most. It's why 12gb 4070 performs quite similarly to the 16gb 7800xt. Yeah it has upside in that it provides more space for devs, but it's not indicative of power in of itself.

You have a pretty deluded view of how GPUs work. 2070 super can run the new Avatar game at ultra, ray tracing on, at almost a stable 60fps. About 70 average for Cyberpunk, after latest update, on Ultra. It's not "struggling" at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Console killer builds at the start of the generation for the same price of a console were an anomaly from the 8th generation. But if you only have to spend a couple (2 or 3) hundred more to build a console equivalent PC, I would say its a good deal. At the end of the day, you are paying more for a device that does more, in gaming or everywhere else.

To me its not even about specs. I'd pick an old i7 2600 - RX 480 PC over a ps5, xbox series X or god forbid a Switch any day. I wouldn't even trade an old desktop for a steam deck or portable equivalent. To each its own I guess.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Console killer builds at the start of the generation for the same price of a console were an anomaly from the 8th generation. But if you only have to spend a couple (2 or 3) hundred more to build a console equivalent PC, I would say its a good deal. At the end of the day, you are paying more for a device that does more, in gaming or everywhere else.

To me its not even about specs. I'd pick an old i7 2600 - RX 480 PC over a ps5, xbox series X or god forbid a Switch any day. I wouldn't even trade an old desktop for a steam deck or portable equivalent. To each its own I guess.
Interesting view.

Reactions: Exicide

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Let's not move the goalpost. You keep saying that the 2070 super is equivalent to a PS5, yet I just showed you 2 examples where it isn't, and those are current gen exclusives. There's probably more around.
No, I didn't move the goalposts. It being equivalent doesn't mean that there isn't variation in performance. Game performance across cards differs based on a variety of factors. Go look at benchmarks for GPUs and you'll find massive variance in performance across titles, of course that holds true here.

Reactions: Diah and Nhomnhom

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Seeing people spin this multiplatform comment so hard. If you actually watch the shareholders meeting he is just giving vague answers to question that have been asked multiple times.

He isn't trying to say they changed their PC strategy, he is just saying they are trying to improve it which can mean tons of things like what they are doing with Ballistic Moon and Until Dawn.

People are acting like he is saying they will start making their games multiplatform faster, he does not. They have been trying to release them two or more years later and nothing they said changes that.

The comment about being "aggressive improving profit margins" was just a general comment, not specifically about PC games.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Copying Nintendolts approach would truly be the end of Playstation. It's not a compromise to play God of War on a PC. It's actually better. Copying N means retreating two hardware generations and pandering to nostalgia with stale franchises. Ick.

So Playstation cant survive with Playstation sales like they have been till 2024?

The extra 1-2millions sales from PC gamers is what is helping PS be successful....?

Every PS game this generation has made alot of profit before it came to PC. PS really doeant need the PC sales like some of you are saying.
Game prices went up to £70 to cope with AAA gaming supposedly.

God of war Ragnarok sold 11 million in a few months, Spiderman 2 has hit 10 million. Even Returnal made a profit.

PS can do Nintendo's approach of being exclusibe and do more than just fine. The PS4 was Sony's most profitable generation.....

This is a BS narrative.

All over the internet, forums and people I know I see comments like this link below.
This will mean leas sales on PSN for 1st party games and people moving to PC like myself, who spent thousands on PS inclusing 3rd party games, now that money will go to PC.

"Kinda surprised by God of War numbers.

I double dipped and have it on Ps4 and PC. Probably will wait for the pc port of GoW 2, waiting for Horizon: forbidden West PC port as well"

I dont care what anyone says. Thats not
Smart business.

The only one saying that PS games need to be on PC or its a good thing… Are PC fans or PS fans who just accept everything Ps leadership says ( a bit like Xbots and Phil)

Seriously , why doesnt PS just release games on Xbox and Switch after a few years too? It would bring in more money right

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Seeing people spin this multiplatform comment so hard. If you actually watch the shareholders meeting he is just giving vague answers to question that have been asked multiple times.

He is trying to say they changed their PC strategy, he is just saying they are trying to improve it which can mean tons of thing like what they are doing with Ballistic Moon and Until Dawn.

People are acting like he is saying they will start making their games multiplatform faster, he does not. They have been trying to release them two or more years later and nothing they said changes that.

The comment about being "aggressive improving profit margins" was just a general comment, not specifically about PC games.
THANK YOU

Reactions: Eggman

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Also...

In an investor call viewed by IGN, Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Hiroki Totoki said it's harder to “shrink” the PS5’s die size and therefore cut console manufacturing costs compared to Sony’s ability to cheapen the PS4. “Therefore cost reduction is very difficult, simply put,” Totoki said.

One issue Sony faces as it considers the price of the PS5 during the fourth year of its life is the relatively high cost to shrink the console’s die size compared to equivalent costs during the previous generation. That leaves little room for maneuver, and suggests storage may be the only area of the console Sony could reasonably look to cut costs.

The original PS5 launched at $499, with a cheaper digital-only version priced $399.99. Last year’s PS5 Slim launched at $499.99, again with a cheaper digital-only version but this time priced $449.99.

In the financial call, Totoki said Sony does not want to rely on a PS5 price cut in any case. We want to make sure our business is profitable, as well we want to focus on user engagement, together with sales of units,” he said. “We need to strike a nice balance between all of those components.”

Sustaining user engagement, with the key monthly active users (MAU) metric at its core, is “the most critical thing in our business right now”, Totoki added.

To that end, Sony is doing well indeed. The company said it saw record high MAUs in December, with 123 million people playing PlayStation. Total play hours are up 13% year-on-year.

However, Sony has revised its PS5 sales forecast for the current financial year down, from its lofty target of 25 million consoles sold to 21 million. This despite a year-on-year increase in PS5 sales for the holiday 2023 quarter, from 7.1 million sold to 8.2 million.

Lmao guess i'll just go back to pc full time...

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
IMO.

AMD APUs are killing their ability to decrease costs via die shrink… the new process are just not decreasing the size enough for (7nm to 5mm is like 10-20% size reduction).

That is why I wish Sony researched better alternatives for PS6.
x86 APUs already give enough to consoles… it is time to move on.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
What you're saying doesn't make sense. If you need a beast of a PC, how come a 5 year old GPU better than the PS5's GPU? The reason why most people on PC complain about not being able to run the game is because they have worse PC parts than a PS5. The most popular GPU from Steams 2024 hardware survey was a 3060 which is 10% weaker than the PS5's 2070-equivalant.
3060 and 2070 are pretty much equal. So your wrong. 3060 also has more vram. so 3060>2070. So a lot of people can run playstation games just fine.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

He isn't trying to say they changed their PC strategy, he is just saying they are trying to improve it which can mean tons of things like what they are doing with Ballistic Moon and Until Dawn.

Well lets hope its us spinning it. And I really hope Im reading wrong into it.

To me i dont know how you translate it to taking about Ballistic Moon and Until Dawn?

Sony President Hiroki Totoki says he wants to go aggressive in improving margins by growing 1st party with multi-platform #PlayStation

“In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve.

So that is another one we want to proactively work on.I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.” - Hiroki Totoki

Why talk about aggression, and how in the past they want to popularise console and 1st party and to proactively change that idea with other platforms.
If they want to keep everything the same as now, why even make that comment about proactive change?

Either way, Id love to be wrong and if you can explain it better, please do

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Of course the usual suspects will look at this and continue to push their agenda of day 1 releases on PC when that’s simply not happening for single player games.

Why would PlayStation harm its core business to help a competitor (Steam)?

Live service day 1 yes, actually live service should be day 1 on PC-PlayStation-Mobile if possible.
I hope so. Im not pushing anything, I just worry about the brains behind these heads.
And Then some PS fans argue that Day 1 releases are fine and even needed

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

Also...

In an investor call viewed by IGN, Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Hiroki Totoki said it's harder to “shrink” the PS5’s die size and therefore cut console manufacturing costs compared to Sony’s ability to cheapen the PS4. “Therefore cost reduction is very difficult, simply put,” Totoki said.

One issue Sony faces as it considers the price of the PS5 during the fourth year of its life is the relatively high cost to shrink the console’s die size compared to equivalent costs during the previous generation. That leaves little room for maneuver, and suggests storage may be the only area of the console Sony could reasonably look to cut costs.

The original PS5 launched at $499, with a cheaper digital-only version priced $399.99. Last year’s PS5 Slim launched at $499.99, again with a cheaper digital-only version but this time priced $449.99.

In the financial call, Totoki said Sony does not want to rely on a PS5 price cut in any case. We want to make sure our business is profitable, as well we want to focus on user engagement, together with sales of units,” he said. “We need to strike a nice balance between all of those components.”

Sustaining user engagement, with the key monthly active users (MAU) metric at its core, is “the most critical thing in our business right now”, Totoki added.

To that end, Sony is doing well indeed. The company said it saw record high MAUs in December, with 123 million people playing PlayStation. Total play hours are up 13% year-on-year.

However, Sony has revised its PS5 sales forecast for the current financial year down, from its lofty target of 25 million consoles sold to 21 million. This despite a year-on-year increase in PS5 sales for the holiday 2023 quarter, from 7.1 million sold to 8.2 million.

I got called an Xbot for saying that Sony would potentially be interested in Day & Date after the massive success that is Helldivers 2, but in the end, it looks like I was right. This quote just proves it I'd say.

"In the past, we wanted to popularize console... but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, first-party can be grown with multi platforms and that can help operating profit to improve."

I seriously think this sounds like PlayStation may be considering more first-party content to release on PC alongside Console. I don't know though, that's just what I think, I don't care if I'm called an xbot by saying this, I already said I don't hate Sony and I have criticism with Xbox. I'm just here to discuss gaming news and games.