Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I literally spoke to a old Destiny buddy today, I asked him if he’s got a PS5.
He said no, no point he’s gonna play the games on PC and got a PC for game developing, no need for a PS5 ( we always spoke about making an indie game )

So 3 friends, plus my brother who were all hardcore PS gamers have migrated to PC… Compared to the new teens who come and buy 1-2 games a year like GTA or Fifa, thats money lost.
I will join them as soon as PS does day 1 releases on PC.

These heads see numbers but dont think long term
Most companies plan their financials short term, because that's where bonuses are. If they fail their metrics, they lay off a bunch of people and boom, numbers are back online.

I know a handful of people myself that have either moved to PC or are moving due to games being there. I'll do the same.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
We've got a real dopey idiot here

First party is not the revenue maker, it never will be. It is the keys to getting userbase momentum and driving massive amounts of revenue through third party royalties

He is trying to tell us the value to a house by making extra copies of the keys and giving the keys fancy engravings while the house itself is catching fire

If he doesn't get that much he needs to be out the door ASAP

Playstation saved Sony and the morons from Japan's old school who ruin everything they touch still consider it some sort of anchor on the business

Bingo

You entice people to your ecosystem by having something exclusive. The more people buy into your ecosystem, the more money you make from % cut in store sales.

If people leave your ecosystem, you lose that revenue, your lose your peripherals revenue, etc. It's not rocket science.

It's so simple it hurts, yet some apologists and pc port beggars do not understand how simple that is.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have massive problems with PC ports, I think first party have no point in existing if they are not exclusive to attract people to PS consoles.

But we were sold PC ports on the promise that they would help fund more exclusives, more games for us and yet here we are.... no first party exclusives that I really care about are due for a long long time.

PlayStation could be dead at that stage judging by the incompetency of their leadership and the worst part is it all comes from the top.... guys that have no idea about the audience that buys their products.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I literally spoke to a old Destiny buddy today, I asked him if he’s got a PS5.
He said no, no point he’s gonna play the games on PC and got a PC for game developing, no need for a PS5 ( we always spoke about making an indie game )

So 3 friends, plus my brother who were all hardcore PS gamers have migrated to PC… Compared to the new teens who come and buy 1-2 games a year like GTA or Fifa, thats money lost.
I will join them as soon as PS does day 1 releases on PC.

These heads see numbers but dont think long term
Yep, all of my friends in college (which was a few years ago for me) who were gamers were on PC or building a PC for the first time. Social media and streamers have a huge influence on people and the vast majority of them are on PC. Of course they all had a switch to play the latest exclusive Zelda at the time, showing the importance of exclusives.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Ya’ll wanted Jim Ryan gone, now have at it. Lol Like the saying says, “be careful what,you wish for”. It can always be worse.

Reactions: SLB1904

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Bingo

You entice people to your ecosystem by having something exclusive. The more people buy into your ecosystem, the more money you make from % cut in store sales.

If people leave your ecosystem, you lose that revenue, your lose your peripherals revenue, etc. It's not rocket science.

It's so simple it hurts, yet some apologists and pc port beggars do not understand how simple that is.
there's almost nothing exclusive to steam, yet people are flocking to it. exclusives are a shitty way to entice people to your ecosystem. the best way to entice people to your ecosystem is by having the best ecosystem.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
That sucks to hear, but looking at their margins and i dont think they have a choice. How you gonna generate $4.2 Billion in revenue and only take home $240 million from that in profit, wtf are they spending $4 billion on?
They have to figure out how to control cost, sony have always had this problem, they spend way too much money trying to run their business. Also having the cfo head of PS until they find a replacement is gonna hopefully make PS better at managing their financing. They prolly spending too much on marketing and 3rd party exclusive is my guess.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Maybe you should watch a Sony CES presentation one day and see how in practice they clearly see games as a lesser enterprise.

That sucks to hear, but looking at their margins and i dont think they have a choice. How you gonna generate $4.2 Billion in revenue and only take home $240 million from that in profit, wtf are they spending $4 billion on?
They have to figure out how to control cost, sony have always had this problem, they spend way too much money trying to run their business.
Nintendo has the answer and it ain't porting to PC.

Sony 2020 TLoU Part 2 game already looks and plays better than pretty much anything released since then.

Reactions: nongkris

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ya’ll wanted Jim Ryan gone, now have at it. Lol Like the saying says, “be careful what,you wish for”. It can always be worse.

This guy isnt head of PS.
But I guess your right and it could get alot worse.

Reactions: Diah
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Maybe you should watch a Sony CES presentation one day and see how in practice they clearly see games as a lesser enterprise.
I don't need too and I have. Once Hirai took over and PS4 took full swing it bacame the face of the company. Tons of articles in it tht was just one random I grabbed. I mean it just prints tons of money so why wouldn't it. Thry are the money makers although movies have done better fir themselves but thts hit or miss.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

Nintendo has the answer and it ain't porting to PC.

Sony 2020 TLoU Part 2 game already looks and plays better than pretty much anything released since then.
Nintendo doesn’t need to port to PC. There games are cheaper to make and their big franchises sell 30M+.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't need too and I have. Once Hirai took over and PS4 took full swing it bacame the face of the company. Tons of articles in it tht was just one random I grabbed. I mean it just prints tons of money so why wouldn't it. Thry are the money makers although movies have done better fir themselves but thts hit or miss.

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying and if anything you are making my point for me. PlayStation is more culturally relevant that all Sony products combined and they are idiots to think it's the other way around and that PlayStation should help the other parts of the company or fight with them for investments. They are idiots for sacrificing PlayStation position for short term profits.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
there's almost nothing exclusive to steam, yet people are flocking to it. exclusives are a shitty way to entice people to your ecosystem. the best way to entice people to your ecosystem is by having the best ecosystem.
Its a combination but exclusives matter. Since day 1 its been better console, better games, better place to play. Whether its 1st or 3rd party exclusives.

PS1 had it all compared to Saturn and N64. Great exclusive games like Gran Turismo, better graphics than Saturn, but great hits like Tekken, FF7,8,9.MGS, RE2-3.

Nintendo consoles are kind of trash and horrible ecosystem but people buy them for the games.

PS2 had 3rd party exclusives and big games like GT, MGS2, GTA3, Silent Hill 2, FFX, God of War etc etc
PS3 made a comeback due to its 1st party exclusives and MGS4 regardless of having inferior 3rd party games and network features.

PS4 did well because it was a great 3rd party machine, but with killer 1st party and 3rd party exclusives

• they're_right_you_know

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Tell Nintendo that. You can keep moving the goalpost, yet reality disagrees with your opinions.

Also, Steam is a storefront, not a console. You really cannot compare it with Playstation, Nintendo, or Xbox.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo doesn’t need to port to PC. There games are cheaper to make and their big franchises sell 30M+.
How does that support Sony releasing their games on PC? Just because your hardware is strong doesn't mean you need to spend an unholy amount of money on every games making them all some sort of open world.

Sony studios on PS4 generations were extremely deficient, that isn't the case anymore.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PS makes enough profit with there own sales, I dont know some of your are acting like PS games arent making enough money and need 1-2 million sales from PC to survive.… where did this come from?

They made the most sales ever last gen for first party games.

Every PS studio game this gen has made a profit apart from Destruction All Stars. From Returnal, Ratchet and Clank to Spiderman 2 to God of War Ragnarok.
Plus they moved prices up to £70, nowhere does it say PS games are making huge profits

They dont need 1-2 million sales from PC to survive, this is BS