Totoki PS President wants to improve margins with releases outside console.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Friend, Switch 2 will scarcely compete with Steam Deck 1 hardware wise.
Switch 2, will be built on a much more energy-efficient ARM, and with Nvidia technologies.

We can expect XSS-level synthetic performance, and that's a pretty big gap compared to SD1.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Ehh unfortunate if this is their future but I'll keep supporting their consoles and if they do discontinue that just means I need to invest in a new hobby

• sad
Reactions: Diah and Umar

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's a shame that many people bought PS5 because they were hoping for a continuation of the PS4 policy (the story is a bit similar to those who bought XONE after the rather successful X360), and I'm one of those people)

After what Sony did, the trust in PS is very low, sales are still good, but thanks to the PS4's reputation and the library of promised releases so far. But these good sales are already lagging behind the forecasts...
I don't think it was some bait and switch. I think these games are just gonna be fucking massive, and the prestige studios shot their wad at the end of PS4. They all probably lost a year to covid in there too. Playstation didn't convert their top teams into service game developers, they bought new service game teams.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's a shame that many people bought PS5 because they were hoping for a continuation of the PS4 policy (the story is a bit similar to those who bought XONE after the rather successful X360), and I'm one of those people)

After what Sony did, the trust in PS is very low, sales are still good, but thanks to the PS4's reputation and the library of promised releases so far. But these good sales are already lagging behind the forecasts...
Even their communication is awful, they take longtime PlayStation fans for granted and assumes most are just fanboys that will stick around no matter what. Sadly they might be right to some extent.

If I'm wrong about my predictions about Valve, I'll have to make my own SteamOS console. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Diah and J_Paganel

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes, this has been the plan since the Andrew House era. AAA are getting too expensive to be made, so need more revenue by expanding in new markets like GaaS, PC, mobile or movie and tv shows adaptations.

Sony already did PC games in the '80s for MS, for the '90s with (also in rival consoles) Psygnosis, Sony Imagesoft (a.k.a CSG Imagesoft) or SOE, and want to grow this area. Same goes with mobile, Sony did mobile games since the 00's (I even worked in one of them, the one about the first Lord of the Ring movie). It isn't something new.
Andrew House saw PC as competition.

AAA are getting expensive but they drove the price up to £70. People need to stop acting like games arent making profit by PS platform itself. GOWR, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Clank and Demons Souls all made profit before PC. The 1-2 million extra sales by PC cheapskate heads isnt gonna make the difference. They buy on sale half the time anyway.

Please dont compare Sony’s 80’s games to PS exclusives going to PC lol

Mobile and Gaas games are fine, as are movie and tv adaptation, releasing on a competing platform is not good

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Switch 2, will be built on a much more energy-efficient ARM, and with Nvidia technologies.

We can expect XSS-level synthetic performance, and that's a pretty big gap compared to SD1.
Energy efficiency is not graphics. Energy efficiency typically translates to *worse graphics*. I expect Switch 2 will come in around Steam Deck 1 performance with a smaller chassis, quieter fan, and better battery life. It's not gonna come in competing with PS5 as a handheld.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

AAA are getting expensive but the drove the price up to £70. People need to stop acting like games arent making profit by PS platform itself. GOWR, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Clank and Demons Souls all made profit before PC.

Mobile and Gaas games are fine, asare movie and tv adaptation, releasing on a competing platform is not good
They are making tons of profit, it used to be very rate for PlayStation games to sell 10m+ now that is happening regularly, even 20m+ has become frequent.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If you think about it Sony is doing us a favor by not giving many reason for someone to own a PS5 or PS6. Once portables and console like hardware with SteamOS become more popular you'll have all your library available anywhere, in any sort of device, with the hardware configuration of your choice, with free online, better refund policy, better catalog of games and better store experience,

images
Lol you're actually not wrong. Since moving to PC i've been enjoying my games at a much higher settings and on a high res display all from a laptop.

But it's not even the devaluation of the brand that is sad to watch, I've accepted it. It's the slow decline in first party output that has been happening over the years that hurts.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
They are making tons of profit, it used to be very rate for PlayStation games to sell 10m+ now that is happening regularly, even 20m+ has become frequent.
They will have problems trying sell games as PC, Xbox, Nintendo gamers wait for their games on PC & PS players slowly migrate to PC. PS trading 100% sells for 30 % while helping they’re competitors become more dominant (PC/Steam & Nintendo) & devaluing there PS console. I’ve seen many people hold off on buying PS games knowing the best version will be on PC in a year & they can get for a big discount or pirate it entirely can’t blame consumers

Nintendo really became the market leader by just focusing on its console its games sells more & more by giving consumers confidence on its close platform. Nintendo ip became stronger which will allow them to expand endlessly to those core fanbase on movies, parks & any other form of media using those other media & platform to expand & increase profit while continuing its double down on its close platform & exclusive not devaluing its console by porting

Last edited:

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Even their communication is awful, they take longtime PlayStation fans for granted and assumes most are just fanboys that will stick around no matter what. Sadly they might be right to some extent.

If I'm wrong about my predictions about Valve, I'll have to make my own SteamOS console. :ROFLMAO:
It's possible, but I doubt you'll be able to order affordable custom hardware and achieve a balance in performance/cooling/battery life.

Although there are rumors on the Internet that SD2 will be able to easily change components, I think it's unlikely.

In my opinion, the maximum that is possible is the availability of two versions with LCD and OLED, and LCD will be cheaper, but only with 40-50-60Hz mode, while OLED will have the ability to 90-120Hz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The thing is, as someone else said.
Sony is gonna shoot themselves in the foot. How do you grow your console with putting your games on other platforms and giving a choice to go else where.

Xbox can shut down tomorrow and MS will be fine. If Sony lose momentum on PS, Sony is fucked.

Anyway, looks like PS is going Multiplatform the same time Xbox is lol, thanks to these retards in charge. I for one will take my money elsewhere. Pirates life for me

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's possible, but I doubt you'll be able to order affordable custom hardware and achieve a balance in performance/cooling/battery life.

Although there are rumors on the Internet that SD2 will be able to easily change components, I think it's unlikely.

In my opinion, the maximum that is possible is the availability of two versions with LCD and OLED, and LCD will be cheaper, but only with 40-50-60Hz mode, while OLED will have the ability to 90-120Hz
Steam Deck is portable and has a screen, if they went for a console like format it would cost a lot less.

A PC/console with similar performance to a PS5 for around $500 or slightly more produced on mass is very doable.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They will have problems trying sell games as PC, Xbox, Nintendo gamers wait for their games on PC & PS players slowly migrate to PC. PS trading 100% sells for 30 % while helping they’re competitors become more dominant (PC/Steam & Nintendo) & devaluing there PS console. I’ve seen many people hold off on buying PS games knowing the best version will be on PC in a year & they can get for a big discount or pirate it entirely can’t blame consumers
I literally spoke to a old Destiny buddy today, I asked him if he’s got a PS5.
He said no, no point he’s gonna play the games on PC and got a PC for game developing, no need for a PS5 ( we always spoke about making an indie game )

So 3 friends, plus my brother who were all hardcore PS gamers have migrated to PC… Compared to the new teens who come and buy 1-2 games a year like GTA or Fifa, thats money lost.
I will join them as soon as PS does day 1 releases on PC.

These heads see numbers but dont think long term

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think Gran Turismo would benefit greatly from pc release. Dealing with car licenses, live service demands from players, it’s surely expensive and has long dev times. It’s also best in class and will dominate.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

AAA are getting expensive but they drove the price up to £70. People need to stop acting like games arent making profit by PS platform itself. GOWR, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Clank and Demons Souls all made profit before PC.

Mobile and Gaas games are fine, as are movie and tv adaptation, releasing on a competing platform is not good
No. Andrew House released Sony games on PC, like the other SIE CEOs. The current strategy of bumping their GaaS business and PC ports started with him.

He and Shuhei Yoshida greentlighted and published Sony games that released in PC like Helldivers 1, Guns Up!, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. They also greenlighted games that have been published by other CEOs like Predator Hunting Grounds or Helldivers 2.

And I'm not comparing Sony consoles exclusives to previous Sony PC (and even rival console) releases they have been releasing since the '80s. I'm just showing the fact that Sony always has been releasing games for computers and mobile (and in the PS1 days in rival consoles too with Psygnosis).

People think it's all jim ryans fault.

You will understand the problem is much higher up and deeply rooted.

Sony has been making this before Jim Ryan and will continue doing it after him. Sony is working in more games than ever, and they are more expensive than ever, plus are growing all their studios and acquiring new ones. That costs a lot of money, so they need more revenue sources to pay them, keeping them profitable and lower the risk.

This means to expand to GaaS, PC, mobile and movies+tv shows. But they will keep focusing on PS as their main business. They will only port some of their games to PC (over year the number of PS only games will continue growing instead of decreasing, because the number of yearly PS only exclusives will be bigger than their yearly PC releases) and will only release day one only some of their GaaS games. This is the strategy they had since before Jim Ryan and the one they'll have after him.

Last edited:

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
The thing is, as someone else said.
Sony is gonna shoot themselves in the foot. How do you grow your console with putting your games on other platforms and giving a choice to go else where.

Xbox can shut down tomorrow and MS will be fine. If Sony lose momentum on PS, Sony is fucked.

Anyway, looks like PS is going Multiplatform the same time Xbox is lol, thanks to these retards in charge. I for one will take my money elsewhere. Pirates life for me
I can understand you, but at least support good games not made by Sony, and if you have the opportunity, you should do it at the start of sales.

Otherwise, the club with cool games that failed will be replenished again (I'm still hurting because of Sleeping Dogs).

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I can understand you, but at least support good games not made by Sony, and if you have the opportunity, you should do it at the start of sales.

Otherwise, the club with cool games that failed will be replenished again (I'm still hurting because of Sleeping Dogs).
I loved Sleeping Dogs. Yes those who deserve it will get my money

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Lol you're actually not wrong. Since moving to PC i've been enjoying my games at a much higher settings and on a high res display all from a laptop.

But it's not even the devaluation of the brand that is sad to watch, I've accepted it. It's the slow decline in first party output that has been happening over the years that hurts.
It's the same problem I have too, I only like PlayStation because of their games (and because it's better than Xbox and PC has no physical media). While I also like the hardware Cerny designed and the DualSense it's not what convinced me to get one.

Reactions: Diah