UK Charts: The impact of its marketing deal with Xbox largely contributed to Metaphor ReFantazio's flop in the UK

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Last WeekThis WeekGamePlatform Split
11EA Sports FC 25PS5 55%, Xbox Series 17%, PS4 16% Switch 13%
NEW2Silent Hill 2
NEW3Dragon Ball: Sparking! Zero
74Hogwarts LegacySwitch 43%, PS5 28%, PS4 25%, Xbox One 3%
NEW5Undisputed
26The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom
NEW7Metaphor: Refantazio
-8Mortal Kombat 11 UltimatePS5 50%, PS4 40%, Xbox Series 9%, Switch 0%
49Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
510Nintendo Switch Sports

Worldwide, it should be similar. I don't understand why anyone would engage in a marketing contract with a brand that is effectively dead.
where does this say its a flop
why would this imply its a flop

y'all want metaphor to do bad so bad

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
where does this say its a flop
why would this imply its a flop

y'all want metaphor to do bad so bad
To sum it up.... they feel betrayed after PS platforms propped ATLUS up for a long time, but are now doing marketing with other platform holders that completely exclude PS from being mentioned. It's real petty ik lol. I see now MS may plan on doing familiar tactics with Square Enix and Team Ninja.

I really don't care tbh. Im sure it'll sell well enough and studio 0 continues their goated run.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Without actual numbers it is a bit hard to call anything.

Octopath Traveller did #3 in 2018 but it was another time when physical was bigger than digital.

Maybe if we have at least the numbers from one game in the TOP10.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
To sum it up.... they feel betrayed after PS platforms propped ATLUS up for a long time, but are now doing marketing with other platform holders that completely exclude PS from being mentioned. It's real petty ik lol. I see now MS may plan on doing familiar tactics with Square Enix and Team Ninja.
Plus now a new niche JRPG IP needs to do FF numbers because some guys here said so lol
Just the ideia of compare it with FF already shows how FF modern sales declined sadly.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Plus now a new niche JRPG IP needs to do FF numbers because some guys here said so lol
Thing is, they are just retaliating from the behaviors of recent FF releases. Atlus is second to SE in terms of JRPG market share, so now those on the other side are putting Atlus under the same (ridiculous) microscope.

Reactions: ethomaz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
CHRIS DRING SAID WHAT????

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero
Did Dring actually say that?

• Cerny

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Atelier Yumia is going to break this forum's brains if it does well
Yumia is the first Atelier game to come to Xbox
No, I don't actually believe it'll sell well on Xbox (but I do believe it'll do fine elsewhere), I'm just anticipating it to be another niche jrpg to come out of left field for the mainstream audience. Gust finally made a AAA Atelier and by golly at $70 they must surely be confident in it.

Reactions: Entropi

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Thing is, they are just retaliating from the behaviors of recent FF releases. Atlus is second to SE in terms of JRPG market share, so now those on the other side are putting Atlus under the same (ridiculous) microscope.
I wonder if the score it got being higher than most modern FFs played a whole in that bitter...
The demo is really good and different from typical Persona game.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Did sega over ship? So they could claim the huge sales? It doesn't seem to be doing anything great in digital charts aswell.

Certainly possible. But you won't see certain places like Reset dare suggest this, even though they did so with FF XVI.

Heck our own @ethomaz does it for XVI here on the regular, but will he claim the same with Metaphor if data shows sell-through is less than expected? We shall see 🤣...

• they're_right_you_know

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Certainly possible. But you won't see certain places like Reset dare suggest this, even though they did so with FF XVI.

Heck our own @ethomaz does it for XVI here on the regular, but will he claim the same with Metaphor if data shows sell-through is less than expected? We shall see 🤣...
If they overshipped then it is overshipped lol
I didn't say anything against it to be quoted... you guys keep the nonsense to compare FFXVI with Methaphor in every single post lol

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I wonder if the score it got being higher than most modern FFs played a whole in that bitter...
The demo is really good and different from typical Persona game.
I think the game is incredible but tbh it's honestly Persona in a different setting, and instead of the Shin Megami Tesei monster building system, you get the Final Fantasy Vs job system. Have 20 hours in so far.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think the game is incredible but tbh it's honestly Persona in a different setting, and instead of the Shin Megami Tesei monster building system, you get the Final Fantasy Vs job system. Have 20 hours in so far.
You can call me crazy but I thought it resembles more Legend of Heroes: Trails than Persona... if I have to say a game then it is The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak.

In both you can use action outside battle and enter in turn based mode after it.
Plus the theme, world (instead a single city) and even art style is more similar to The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak than Persona.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

I really don't care tbh. Im sure it'll sell well enough and studio 0 continues their goated run.

So you think it's fine for companies to spite large chunks of their fanbases? Because taking on marketing deals that completely omit where most of their customers are at or would be at, is not only idiotic, but also disrespectful.

Unless you're one of those "consoomers" who just take whatever a company serves you up, doesn't ask questions, consumes content and prepares for next wave of content. In which case, hey more power to you...but it couldn't be me 😂. Mind you, I don't even blame MS for offering the marketing deal; SIE should've courted for one in the West if they valued Atlus's output more than they seemingly did.

The bigger question mark is why did SEGA/Atlus accept the deal? Was it part of that strategic partnership through the Azure division two years ago, that for whatever reason had Phil & Sarah brokering the deal with SEGA on Azure's behalf? Are Atlus short-sighted enough to think they'll maximize growth of their IP on two of the biggest platforms for JRPGs (PS, Steam) by omitting them from Western marketing?

You say you don't care, or you don't care if MS do similar stunts with Square-Enix or Team Ninja, but that sounds like you care enough to maybe on some level WANT them to do it so...why? How do gamers benefit from it? You say "long as the games sell well enough"....well there's a strong chance they don't. Then what? Now you don't get your games. Now that publisher probably enters financial turmoil. Now Microsoft maybe buys them too.

You want gamers to lose even more? Maybe you should start caring a tad...it benefits you, as well.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So you think it's fine for companies to spite large chunks of their fanbases? Because taking on marketing deals that completely omit where most of their customers are at or would be at, is not only idiotic, but also disrespectful.

Unless you're one of those "consoomers" who just take whatever a company serves you up, doesn't ask questions, consumes content and prepares for next wave of content. In which case, hey more power to you...but it couldn't be me 😂. Mind you, I don't even blame MS for offering the marketing deal; SIE should've courted for one in the West if they valued Atlus's output more than they seemingly did.

The bigger question mark is why did SEGA/Atlus accept the deal? Was it part of that strategic partnership through the Azure division two years ago, that for whatever reason had Phil & Sarah brokering the deal with SEGA on Azure's behalf? Are Atlus short-sighted enough to think they'll maximize growth of their IP on two of the biggest platforms for JRPGs (PS, Steam) by omitting them from Western marketing?

You say you don't care, or you don't care if MS do similar stunts with Square-Enix or Team Ninja, but that sounds like you care enough to maybe on some level WANT them to do it so...why? How do gamers benefit from it? You say "long as the games sell well enough"....well there's a strong chance they don't. Then what? Now you don't get your games. Now that publisher probably enters financial turmoil. Now Microsoft maybe buys them too.

You want gamers to lose even more? Maybe you should start caring a tad...it benefits you, as well.
*responding to bolded*

1. Lol maybe I guess. I buy games from my favorite studios, I am pretty loyal to studios that have brought me joy in the past. Love Persona 5 so Metaphor is a no brainer for me.

2. I think Sega took a check from MS before the gen even started, remember how their was no Yakuza 7 for Ps5 until several months later? I think Sega simply just bet on Microsoft being a stronger competitor this gen, and took whatever money bags they brought to their offices. I also wouldn't be surprised if Infinite Wealth and Metaphor were initially GP games until Sega noticed the hype dying off.

3. Wouldn't really care if MS marketed my favorite studios games because, well I'm going to play them on my PS5 anyway, it harms me none & we know exclusives are off the table due to their poor hardware sales. I do think Sony is a much better publishing partner, always a score when a great dev strikes a deal with them IMO.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
You can call me crazy but I thought it resembles more Legend of Heroes: Trails than Persona... if I have to say a game then it is The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak.

In both you can use action outside battle and enter in turn based mode after it.
Plus the theme, world (instead a single city) and even art style is more similar to The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak than Persona.
It's not a single city though and it's absolutely Persona like in the way it uses a calendar system, activities etc

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke