UK Charts: The impact of its marketing deal with Xbox largely contributed to Metaphor ReFantazio's flop in the UK

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The archetypes are kind of a fusion of personas and shadows
They are more like Jobs/Classes imo.

Jobs in Bravely Default.
Jobs in FFV / FFT.

Even Atlus called it as “Archetype Job System”.

Archetype-Job-System-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Archetypes and Personas are not like each other.
They are completely different lol

Archetypes are more like Jobs.
You can choose a job/archetype to each character and level up it skill tree.

It is basically a Job System like these found in well FFV or FFT.

Persona concept is not even similar to that.
In Persona you can only equip them in the main character and they don’t give job role or even have a sill tree… you basically level up them to get new abilities only.

The others characters have a fixed Persona with fixed abilities.

There is no Job System in Persona games… so I wonder how people are mistaking a Job System with that Persona system?

Are you guys really playing Metaphor?
archetypes and persona are not completely different lol. They share a lot of similarities. MC awakens the powers. So do Persona users. You level them up and they gain new skills and get more powerful. Saying they are completely different is nonsense. This game plays exactly like Persona.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
How come you hate FF and the other Square JRPGs but then you turn around and you love the most weeb and niche jrpg of them all 🤡
Its the life sim aspect, the length, All the side activities, the writing, character driven, the art etc. JRPGs are mostly boring to me but Persona and Persona style of games(metaphor) i like. I dont like SMT because its just action and combat based.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
archetypes and persona are not completely different lol. They share a lot of similarities. MC awakens the powers. So do Persona users. You level them up and they gain new skills and get more powerful. Saying they are completely different is nonsense. This game plays exactly like Persona.
Not sure if you understood the Archetype job system here…

Persona can only be used in the MC and it only get a limited set of new abilities when when level up… most of the abilities are the same accords Personas (same abilities exists in more than one Persona)… outside level up you get more abilities when you fusion these Personas too.

Archetypes are Jobs / Classes… they are unique and can be used by any character… it doesn’t level up only to get new abilities like Persona… you have a Skill Tree and so you can decide how that Job evolution in terms of skills, abilities, status, etc.

Like I said Archetype Job System has more in common with Job System in others JRPGs than Personas in Persona game.

Basically the developers abandoned the Persona/Monster collection, taming and fusion of SMT/Persona for a more tradicional RPG Job System.

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Not sure if you understood the Archetype job system here…

Persona can only be used in the MC and it only get a limited set of new abilities when when level up… most of the abilities are the same accords Personas (same abilities exists in more than one Persona)… outside level up you get more abilities when you fusion these Personas too.

Archetypes are Jobs / Classes… they are unique and can be used by any character… it doesn’t level up only to get new abilities like Persona… you have a Skill Tree and so you can decide how that Job evolution in terms of skills, abilities, status, etc.

Like I said Archetype Job System has more in common with Job System in others JRPGs than Personas in Persona game.

Basically the developers abandoned the Persona/Monster collection, taming and fusion of SMT/Persona for a more tradicional RPG Job System.
they are very similar. I didnt say their were no differences. Metaphor plays just like a persona game.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
I'm not sure if you really want this theory to be true. Metaphor is a success even without PlayStation then and I guess Atlus can focus on PC and Switch 2 only for Persona 6

Reactions: quest4441

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Its the life sim aspect, the length, All the side activities, the writing, character driven, the art etc. JRPGs are mostly boring to me but Persona and Persona style of games(metaphor) i like. I dont like SMT because its just action and combat based.
You like the bishonen femboys just say that 😏

• haha
Reactions: Infinity

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Thing is, they are just retaliating from the behaviors of recent FF releases.
There it is. Calling this "retaliation".

The poor innocent trillion dollar company that just bought third party publishers with the aim of removing multiplatform franchises that it already had anyway from the competition has to fight back, don't you know. It didn't turn out to be feasible, but the intent was obvious.

But Big Bad Sony are the ones who need to be taught a lesson. How dare they try to secure a few timed exclusives?

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I'm not sure if you really want this theory to be true. Metaphor is a success even without PlayStation then and I guess Atlus can focus on PC and Switch 2 only for Persona 6
Sure I hope they focus on pc and switch 2, good for them 🤭

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
where does this say its a flop
why would this imply its a flop

y'all want metaphor to do bad so bad
There's a weird seething happening at this game for some reason.

Why do you even care about some Xbox logos on the trailers? The game is out on PS5, selling well and will likely get a new installment.

PS fans do realize that they basically won the console wars, right?

To sum it up.... they feel betrayed after PS platforms propped ATLUS up for a long time, but are now doing marketing with other platform holders that completely exclude PS from being mentioned. It's real petty ik lol. I see now MS may plan on doing familiar tactics with Square Enix and Team Ninja.

I really don't care tbh. Im sure it'll sell well enough and studio 0 continues their goated run.
Xbox need to shore up support from Japanese studios if they want to keep doing any kind of hardware business.

If Sony wants those marketing deals they will actually have to work to get them. Nothing comes for free.

Plus now a new niche JRPG IP needs to do FF numbers because some guys here said so lol
Just the ideia of compare it with FF already shows how FF modern sales declined sadly.
FF's decline has largely been in how they completely reinvented the franchise every installment. The franchise's identity has been completely squandered because of this.

Atlus games are always about iteration and fine-tuning, so while the fanbase is smaller, it can be marketed to more easily because it's not as fragmented.

If I don't like SMT5, I automatically know not to even try or look at SMT6.

However, if I liked FF16, then how do I know if FF17 is to my liking? I simply have no way of knowing or feeling a guarantee of getting a great experience.

The other thing is look at how much more rapidly the games come out of Atlus vs Square. Square will take at least half a decade to bring out a new FF. Meanwhile it's almost assured we will see a new Persona mainline game before the end of this gen.

That's simply disastrous for the perception of the franchise. Younger gens have no clue about what the franchise is or whether it's good. Appealing to boomers with an entire FF7R trilogy was a disastrous decision in that regard.

Just make a single remake that's more simplified and true to the og story sjd gameplay and move on..