UK Charts: The impact of its marketing deal with Xbox largely contributed to Metaphor ReFantazio's flop in the UK

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It's not a single city though and it's absolutely Persona like in the way it uses a calendar system, activities etc
As someone who has played 90% of Falcom games.... his statement makes close to 0 sense. Not only the things you mentioned but... there's even a velvet room/world of shadows equivalent where you upgrade your combat abilities.... It's very much a SMT/Persona type game first an foremost.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
most people buy games digitally.......

Cry Love GIF by Pudgy Penguins

"In the digital world everything is possible"

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
As someone who has played 90% of Falcom games.... his statement makes close to 0 sense. Not only the things you mentioned but... there's even a velvet room/world of shadows equivalent where you upgrade your combat abilities.... It's very much a SMT/Persona type game first an foremost.
So after play 90% of the Falcon games you didn’t realize that new combat system is a copy of Trails through Daybreak’s combat system?

:unsure:

Last edited:

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
So you think it's fine for companies to spite large chunks of their fanbases? Because taking on marketing deals that completely omit where most of their customers are at or would be at, is not only idiotic, but also disrespectful.

Unless you're one of those "consoomers" who just take whatever a company serves you up, doesn't ask questions, consumes content and prepares for next wave of content. In which case, hey more power to you...but it couldn't be me 😂. Mind you, I don't even blame MS for offering the marketing deal; SIE should've courted for one in the West if they valued Atlus's output more than they seemingly did.

The bigger question mark is why did SEGA/Atlus accept the deal? Was it part of that strategic partnership through the Azure division two years ago, that for whatever reason had Phil & Sarah brokering the deal with SEGA on Azure's behalf? Are Atlus short-sighted enough to think they'll maximize growth of their IP on two of the biggest platforms for JRPGs (PS, Steam) by omitting them from Western marketing?

You say you don't care, or you don't care if MS do similar stunts with Square-Enix or Team Ninja, but that sounds like you care enough to maybe on some level WANT them to do it so...why? How do gamers benefit from it? You say "long as the games sell well enough"....well there's a strong chance they don't. Then what? Now you don't get your games. Now that publisher probably enters financial turmoil. Now Microsoft maybe buys them too.

You want gamers to lose even more? Maybe you should start caring a tad...it benefits you, as well.
We play video games sir

Reactions: voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So after play 90% of the Falcon games you didn’t realize that new combat system is a copy of Trails through Daybreak’s combat system?

:unsure:
Point still stands no? You are referencing a minor combat detail. And I have not played daybreak from trails fatigue.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Like seriously lol. I’d take more pride in being a gaming “consooomer” than being an armchair business analyst.
Yeah Atlus spit in peoples faces for taking money from microsoft over marketing. Gimme a break. It's so insanely overexagerating something barely qualifiable as a first world problem.
No, I do not think Microsoft benefitted the game any. I don't think it matters tho
The game is hardly a flop, game is playable on PS5, PC, and Xbox so no one's in a place to complain.
Bros would've been calling Shin Megami Tensei Nine disrespectful towards nintendo gamers way back and that would've had more merit than this cause at least then it was impossible to play on anything but xbox so I could understand the grumpiness better.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Can't wait for the NPD, Japan and Europe data for this game. Sega is a nasty company and I will wish nothing but the worst for them. However I need proper data to be released for them to be further be humiliated for their idiotic business decisions and spitting in PS fans faces, who continue to keep them outta bankruptcy lol.

Xbox fans being humbled will just be the cherry on top.

And they absolutely did overship this game lol. Pre-orders were shit everywhere and they stuffed the channels. Their press release was nothing but a Shareholder appeal PR message

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Point still stands no? You are referencing a minor combat detail. And I have not played daybreak from trails fatigue.
I played the demo of Methaphor and except the style nothing else feels like Persona 🤷‍♂️

Where I can start...
  • Persona characters roles are pre-determined... except the main character nobody can change and equip personas.
    Metaphor characters you can choose which role each character will take.... you are free to equip any Archetype.
  • Skill tree for each Archetype.
  • Persona has zero to no exploration... you are limited the game allows you.
    Metaphor is free to explore.
  • Combat in Persona is the same for the whole game... new abilities depends of what Persona you equip but it is basically the same way to all Personas.
    Combat in Metaphor is way more customized with unique trails.
  • Trails through Daybreak's mix of real time and turn-based combat.
  • Different story themes.
  • Several locations vs single city.
  • Ohhhh there are dungeon, quests, treasure hunting, Tournament, etc.
  • Social links are related to NPCs and very easy to archive instead to Arcane character bonds that are sometimes incomprehensible.
  • Gauntlet runner that feels like these old JRPGs airships.
I mean if you saying Metaphor is like Persona is the same as saying Chrono Trigger is like Final Fantasy VI.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I played the demo of Methaphor and except the style nothing else feels like Persona 🤷‍♂️

Where I can start...
  • Persona characters roles are pre-determined... except the main character nobody can change and equip personas.
    Metaphor characters you can choose which role each character will take.... you are free to equip any Archetype.
  • Combat in Persona is the same for the whole game... new abilities depends of what Persona you equip but it is basically the same way to all Personas.
  • Social links are related to NPCs and very easy to archive instead to Arcane character bonds that are sometimes incomprehensible.
I mean if you saying Metaphor is like Persona is the same as saying Chrono Trigger is like Final Fantasy VI.
So far i only played the demo but the "real time combat" sucks and it's just hitting the enemies out of combat for some first turn advantage and a bit of lowered hp, the arpg side is nonexistent and the controls suck. It might as well not even exist, it's a shitty minigame. Does it get better?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So far i only played the demo but the "real time combat" sucks and it's just hitting the enemies out of combat for some first turn advantage and a bit of lowered hp, the arpg side is nonexistent and the controls suck. It might as well not even exist, it's a shitty minigame. Does it get better?
You can kill via action mode without need to enter the turn-based mode.
Turn-based mode is suppose to be the mode to kill hard enemies or these that require time to time strategy.
The action mode is to kill already know enemies that you can easily kill.

I only played the demo too but for me it was really great... I plan to buy it.
I liked Persona a lot but more about the characters and interactions... dungeons were pretty bad in Persona... it made me sleep a lot of times with the controller at hands plus all procedure generated dungeons in Persona are the same.

This game is less about characters and interaction and more about standard JRPGs... these like DQ, FF, etc.
Something I miss a lot from SNES and PS1 days.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You can kill via action mode without need to enter the turn-based mode.
Turn-based mode is suppose to be the mode to kill hard enemies or these that require time to time strategy.
The action mode is to kill already know enemies that you can easily kill.

I only played the demo too but for me it was really great... I plan to buy it.
I liked Persona a lot but more about the characters and interactions... dungeons were pretty bad in Persona... it made me sleep a lot of times with the controller at hands plus all procedure generated dungeons in Persona are the same.

This game is less about characters and interaction and more about standard JRPGs... these like DQ, FF, etc.
Something I miss a lot from SNES and PS1 days.
I know about the killing lower level enemies part. I just find the quality of the system quite low, like it's made by a low tier dev, it's basically like a GUST game's action combat (bad/mid)

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I know about the killing lower level enemies part. I just find the quality of the system quite low, like it's made by a low tier dev, it's basically like a GUST game's action combat (bad/mid)
Yeap... I feel it is better in Trails games too.
But this game is not AAA imo... it fells AA... even graphics are well last gen quality.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023

Where I can start...
Metaphor plays exactly like persona lol. Archetypes are personas with different names, bonding system with followers, plenty of side activities to level up your character etc. it's literally high fantasy persona. I love it.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Metaphor plays exactly like persona lol. Archetypes are personas with different names, bonding system with followers, plenty of side activities to level up your character etc. it's literally high fantasy persona. I love it.
How come you hate FF and the other Square JRPGs but then you turn around and you love the most weeb and niche jrpg of them all 🤡

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Archetypes and Personas are not like each other.
They are completely different lol

Archetypes are more like Jobs.
You can choose a job/archetype to each character and level up it skill tree.

It is basically a Job System like these found in well FFV or FFT.

Persona concept is not even similar to that.
In Persona you can only equip them in the main character and they don’t give job role or even have a sill tree… you basically level up them to get new abilities only.

The others characters have a fixed Persona with fixed abilities.

There is no Job System in Persona games… so I wonder how people are mistaking a Job System with that Persona system?

Are you guys really playing Metaphor?

Last edited: