UK Monthly Charts-PS5 #1, Helldivers 2 consecutive weeks sales growth (up 115% in week 2, up 21% week 3). A hit on both PC/PS5 with 57% sales on PS5!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What's gonna be interesting is total worldwide sales. Sony has stated that one of the reasons they are porting games to PC is to reach PC heavily regions like China, Russia (currently blocked by Sony on Steam and EGS due to the Russia-Ukraine war, so nobody in Russia have been able to buy Sony games for the last 2 years), Korea and in general Asia.

Those regions are heavily PC (and mobile) and can very easily make total worldwide sales numbers turn PC favorably.
I very much agree with that.

Asia really can trend worldwide to PC but we don’t know how much.

I just don’t believe these early random estimates saying Steam was 60-70% of the sales because all data we got until now puts PS5 a bit ahead…

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Except the vast majority of those people can't even run the latest games on their PCs. The reason the PC is spread in those regions is because they're not economically as strong as other 1st world countries. That's why the thought of buying a dedicated gaming hardware like a console is not economically viable for most people. What they do have are PCs for school and/or work.

That also means that that "huge market" is also unable to run your games at all, let alone at the highest of resolutions framerate.

How do you know this? As in, how do you know that most people in those region can't run Helldivers 2? They are not as economically strong yes, but that is a very flawed way of thinking they can't run Helldivers 2. Unless you actually have data on this.

Im gonna come with a counter argument: Singleplayer games has rapidly grown in sales with (Helldivers 2, CP2077, Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate 3 etc.) doing massive numbers, most of the peaks happened during Steams ccu prime time, which is when Russia, Kora, China etc. is awake. Doesn't that mean that they can run the games?

Remember, not everyone cares about puttings graphics settings on ultra.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
For example in Italy PS5 ahead too.
Retail + Digital.

GGtCGnZXcAAeWjK

GHRg-DKXQAAgrSA

GH2Tn-ZWAAAeTMT

Germany.
Helldivers is the #1 on PS5.
But you can’t see it in the TOP2 on PC… Granblue Fantasy and Farm Simulator are respectively #1 and #2.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
And since this is a MP game that depends on server side activity checks, no-more-PC-ports crybabies can't say PC gamers don't buy games but pirate them for this game specifically. The numbers we get are pure sell-through numbers and paint that for multiplayer games PC ports make sense as Sony at least nearly doubled their revenues.

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
How do you know this? As in, how do you know that most people in those region can't run Helldivers 2? They are not as economically strong yes, but that is a very flawed way of thinking they can't run Helldivers 2. Unless you actually have data on this.

Im gonna come with a counter argument: Singleplayer games has rapidly grown in sales with (Helldivers 2, CP2077, Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate 3 etc.) doing massive numbers, most of the peaks happened during Steams ccu prime time, which is when Russia, Kora, China etc. is awake. Doesn't that mean that they can run the games?

Remember, not everyone cares about puttings graphics settings on ultra.
It's not about putting settings on ultra it's about the fact that the gap in graphics between consoles and PC is ever smaller and to even RUN the newest games on the lowest settings it takes an increasingly better PC. Helldivers 2 is not a great looking game, nor is it packed with features and the attention to detail like a megahit like RDR2 for ecxample, meaning it is far easier to run. Someone that lives in the US, UK, Western Europe is gonna have a hell of an easier time to afford a PC that can even open and start a game like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman and the like than someone in E. Europe, an ex soviet country , S. America, most of Asia etc. hence the dominance of PC over consoles in those regions. Keep in mind that owning a PC does not automatically mean you will be gaming in it. The alleged "huge market" on PC includes ANYONE owning a PC, for whatever reason, be it gaming related or not.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Drop isn't digital, it is physical so that sentence doesn't make sense for me.
My comment made perfect sense and I specifically mentioned physical sales for a reason since that's what this charts is.

So what exactly did not make sense for you?

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
My comment made perfect sense and I specifically mentioned physical sales for a reason since that's what this charts is.

So what exactly did not make sense for you?
Boxed sales, especially for UK doesn't mean much, that's why the referenced percentages doesn't mean a thing for the overall reception and not really indicative. Even he says so himself in the first part of the tweet.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Boxed sales, especially for UK doesn't mean much, that's why the referenced percentages doesn't mean a thing for the overall reception and not really indicative. Even he says so himself in the first part of the tweet.
I am commenting that physical data that he himself reported and it was posted here. I don't really care how insignificant anything is. I said the drop for physical is brutal.

If you got an issue with what I said, you are free to just scroll over it.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I am commenting that physical data that he himself reported and it was posted here. I don't really care how insignificant anything is. I said the drop for physical is brutal.

If you got an issue with what I said, you are free to just scroll over it.
K, captain obvious ignored.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Boxed sales in UK means way more than people wants to accept…

Rebirth Week 1
Physical: 42k
Digital: 33k
Total: 75k

Rebirth Week 2
Physical: 5k
Digital: ?
Total: ?

Even without digital we already know the drop is at least more than 60% in UK for Week 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danja

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Boxed sales in UK means way more than people wants to accept…

Rebirth Week 1
Physical: 42k
Digital: 33k
Total: 75k

Rebirth Week 2
Physical: 5k
Digital: ?
Total: ?

Even without digital we already know the drop is at least more than 60% in UK for Week 2.
Where did you get the first week digital sales numbers?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Helldivers 2 insane success continues surprising me. I never would have guessed that the sequel of that nice Vita game would sell better than FFVII Rebirth.

It was one of the wisest Ubisoft decisions… increased market share and stopped to pay 30% of the revenue to Steam.

Win-win.
They will never back to Steam day 1 now that they realized how much more they have not being on Steam… more market share, more revenue, more profit.

I can’t see how Sony won’t do the same in few years 🤷‍♂️
I assume Sony's plan is to build first a catalog and fanbase in PC.

Then once the size is big enough and are one of the top publishers in PC (maybe next year), to release their own store+launcher, with some benefits over buying and playing in other PC stores/launchers to move players there. If smart, using a single PSN (friends, trophies, catalog, saves, online mp...) for all their platforms now also including PC and mobile, as they did sharing it between their consoles.

And then once the userbase and sales of their own PC store/launcher is big enough, to stop releasing games in the other PC stores.

France, Week 9 (FEBRUARY 25 - MARCH 3, 2024) - [Physical sales, No bundle]

Like the UK, FF Rebirth sold better than FF XVI in France too.

image.png

Where is Helldivers 2 there? Seems weird to don't see it there. I'd bet GfK covers Sony published games too, at least in other countrries.

Last edited: