Videocardz: PC GPU shipments decline 38% YoY

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PC GPU shipments decreased -15.4% sequentially from last quarter and -38% year to year.

Jon Peddie Research reports that the growth of the global PC-based graphics processor unit (GPU) market reached 64.2 million units in Q4’22 and PC CPU shipments decreased by -35% year over year. Overall, GPUs will have a compound annual growth rate of 0.19% during 2022–2026 and reach an installed base of 3,013 million units at the end of the forecast period. Over the next five years, the penetration of discrete GPUs (dGPUs) in PCs will grow to reach a level of 32%.

Year to year, total GPU shipments, which include all platforms and all types of GPUs, decreased by -38%, desktop graphics decreased by -24%, and notebooks decreased by -43%—the largest decrease since its peak in 2011. AMD’s overall market share percentage from last quarter increased 0.4%, Intel’s market share decreased by -1.1%, and Nvidia’s market share increased 0.68%, as indicated in the following chart.

Overall, GPU unit shipments decreased by -15.3% from last quarter. AMD’s shipments decreased by -12.7%, Intel’s shipments decreased by -16.5%, and Nvidia’s shipments decreased by -11.7%.

Quick highlights

• The GPU’s overall attach rate (which includes integrated and discrete GPUs, desktops, notebooks, and workstations) to PCs for the quarter was 118%, up 3% from last quarter.
  • The overall PC CPU market decreased by -17.4% quarter to quarter and decreased -35.3% year to year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs that use discrete GPUs) increased by 7.8% from the last quarter.
  • This quarter saw 18.4% change in tablet shipments from last quarter.
The fourth quarter is typically flat to up compared to the previous quarter. This quarter was down -15.3% from last quarter, which is below the 10-year average of 6.8%.

GPUs have been a leading indicator of the market because a GPU goes into a system before the suppliers ship the PC. Most of the semiconductor vendors are guiding down for the next quarter, an average of -6.44%. Last quarter, they guided an average of -0.21%, which was too high.

Jon Peddie, president of JPR, noted, “This quarter’s total graphics processor shipments (integrated/embedded and discrete) decreased an astounding -15.3% from the previous quarter, contributing to a decline in the historical 10-year average rate of 6.8%. A total of 64 million units were shipped in the quarter, which was a decrease of -38.5 million units from the same quarter a year ago, indicating the GPU market is negative on a year-to-year basis.

“The sky may be dark right now, but I promise you, it is not failing (except in Northern California, where the rain still hasn’t let up, which means we’re going to have the most beautiful spring),” Peddie said.

Big shocker... nvidia and amd's greed is destroying demand for pc parts (along with inflation reducing disposable income globally).

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Hopefully that means more people move to PS5 and see the glory of console gaming.

Yup, I think eventually most people will see the light and understand how dedicated gaming hardware / consoles are better. It should be logical that a machine made specifically for gaming is better than a multipurpose device focused on word-processing and spreadsheets...... but some people take a while to come around.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Nice to see them get hit first but the same dynamics work with consoles. Thing is, consoles are the safe fallback so economic conditions would have to deteriorate even more so for consoles to feel the pinch. Xbox the odd man out on the shelves. Fuck Nvidia and Valve.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Yup, I think eventually most people will see the light and understand how dedicated gaming hardware / consoles are better. It should be logical that a machine made specifically for gaming is better than a multipurpose device focused on word-processing and spreadsheets...... but some people take a while to come around.
Yep, and to me the only thing PC games are better at are indie games which can be ran on a cheap laptop most of the time.

• brain
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Console will always be better price/perf, but pc will be attractive to people who want full control of their machines. Modding, full back compat through emulation, the ability to dump money to get 120-240+fps at full resolution and quality, mouse+keyboard+a variety of 3rd party controller/wheel/accessory support etc... and a la carte upgradability

The problem is that the people who are willing to put $1000s+ per year into their hobby is a small minority and the ecosystem can't sustain itself off just those people. So we need low end and budget pc parts to get people who are willing to spend $600-1000 to buy an experience that is comparable to or slightly better than a console specwise just so they can stream their fortnite matches to their 5 follower twitch streams.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Console will always be better price/perf, but pc will be attractive to people who want full control of their machines. Modding, full back compat through emulation, the ability to dump money to get 120-240+fps at full resolution and quality, mouse+keyboard+a variety of 3rd party controller/wheel/accessory support etc... and a la carte upgradability

The problem is that the people who are willing to put $1000s+ per year into their hobby is a small minority and the ecosystem can't sustain itself off just those people. So we need low end and budget pc parts to get people who are willing to spend $600-1000 to buy an experience that is comparable to or slightly better than a console specwise just so they can stream their fortnite matches to their 5 follower twitch streams.

That's why Sony should have a Pro console on the market..... to erode everything lower than the high end PC gamer.

Reactions: Deleted member 417
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's why Sony should have a Pro console on the market..... to erode everything lower than the high end PC gamer.
Pro console won't do shit for pc gamers. I had a ps4 pro. As long as console isn't an open platform it won't grab a large chunk of the pc audience. That said, if they made a ps5 pro with a 4090 level gpu, I'd buy it.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Pro console won't do shit for pc gamers. I had a ps4 pro. As long as console isn't an open platform it won't grab a large chunk of the pc audience. That said, if they made a ps5 pro with a 4090 level gpu, I'd buy it.

Probably not exactly a 4090 but something that would perform like it when optimized.

That's kinda what I'm talking about..... it would get PlayStation enthusiasts and gaming enthusiasts to upgrade and would also offer something very desirable for PC gamers who love to benchmark and have the best tech.

Would also push that Apple kinda feeling about the brand.

• brain
Reactions: anonpuffs

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Surely both. People can't afford to pay $700-$2000 on a GPU alone... or simply don't want to. They're pricing people out of PC gaming.

The market will correct itself and these greedy cunts can get fucked in the meantime.

I managed to get a 6750XT for 500 quid. Considering my GPU is a few years old, from a lower segment, and cost 340 quid, it's not a bad price at all.

Expensive? Yes. But not a bad price comparatively to the very early days of the mining craze

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The problem is that the people who are willing to put $1000s+ per year into their hobby is a small minority and the ecosystem can't sustain itself off just those people. So we need low end and budget pc parts to get people who are willing to spend $600-1000 to buy an experience that is comparable to or slightly better than a console specwise just so they can stream their fortnite matches to their 5 follower twitch streams

You could never get an experience that is comparable to that of consoles on a similar budget if you consider the whole rig, even before all the mining stuff.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
You could never get an experience that is comparable to that of consoles on a similar budget if you consider the whole rig, even before all the mining stuff.
Oh, if you say that in some places, people will come with pitchforks for you.
It's really bizarre how some pc players really like to pretend you can get a console like experience on PC that will last the whole generation for the price of a console.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
It's really bizarre how some pc players really like to pretend you can get a console like experience on PC that will last the whole generation for the price of a console.
Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Surely both. People can't afford to pay $700-$2000 on a GPU alone... or simply don't want to. They're pricing people out of PC gaming.

The market will correct itself and these greedy cunts can get fucked in the meantime.
At this price and the performance of consoles people are just not biting.

Also, as noted in the OP, inflation ate all disposable income most people had.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

EN250

17 Feb 2023

The Master Race meme is not a big population, people with top of the line expensive af cards will always be a minority, they also supply the used market of the next batch (the majority) of players that can't afford the luxury while Nvidia + AMD supply top - mid cards for everyone interested

There was a niche that used to pay top dollar for the most expensive cards and that was ok, then the crypto fad happened and these greedy douches in the industry thought rising the price on everything was going to be the new normal, poor idiots, it totally backfired on them the moment crypto bubble popped :ROFLMAO: