Tubz_Gaming
Music Video Eyes GIF by boygenius

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: AniWeeb

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Built my new gaming PC in October with a 4090 and while I'm extremely happy with its performance the price was nuts.

I'm not surprised a lot of gamers PC gamers chose not to buy new graphics cards.

AMD and Nvidia are on crack if they think these new prices will be the new normal.
News flash: They will price the cards wherever they want, and dipshit PC gamers will PROUDLY pay the insane prices just to brag about having spent so much money, as it fuels their sense of entitlement when they whine about console ports that they’d be able play just fine on a machine that cost a quarter what their rig did.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
News flash: They will price the cards wherever they want, and dipshit PC gamers will PROUDLY pay the insane prices just to brag about having spent so much money, as it fuels their sense of entitlement when they whine about console ports that they’d be able play just fine on a machine that cost a quarter what their rig did.
You're in a thread proving the exact opposite lmao...

You sound like a cultist rn

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Also the used cards market, a card like the 1080ti can be had for next to nothing these days.

These mining cards will not just disappear.
1080ti is a card from what, 7 years ago? Of course it's going to be cheap. People are still buying 1600 class cards, a 1660 is like 50% the perf of a 1080ti. Nvidia has to be stopped. Honestly fuck nvidia and fuck amd for following their lead. But if you want a good used card, 6800XT are 75% more perf than a 1080ti for $400. Rdna2 cards are the best bang-for-buck in the last 3 generations

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
1080ti is a card from what, 7 years ago? Of course it's going to be cheap. People are still buying 1600 class cards, a 1660 is like 50% the perf of a 1080ti. Nvidia has to be stopped. Honestly fuck nvidia and fuck amd for following their lead. But if you want a good used card, 6800XT are 75% more perf than a 1080ti for $400. Rdna2 cards are the best bang-for-buck in the last 3 generations
AMD ain't no charity, why would they charge less than people are willing to pay? They just followed NVidia lead in pushing the definition of what high end products were. They have no incentive to offer any of their cards for a price far bellow what Nivida is charging for similar performance.

I think a lot of the problem people see on the GPU market right now comes out from having a distorted perspective on what is a flagship GPU these days. What do you think should be the price for a 50 Teraflops GPU with 20GB of VRAM? Who actually needs a card like that? It's purely a luxury product.

An RX 6750 XT is going to do fine playing any game at reasonable setting for $375.

Last edited:
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AMD ain't no charity, why would they charge less than people are willing to pay? They just followed NVidia lead in pushing the definition of what high end products were. They have no incentive to offer any of their cards for a price far bellow what Nivida is charging for similar performance.

I think a lot of the problem people see on the GPU market right now comes out from having a distorted perspective on what is a flagship GPU these days. What do you think should be the price for a 50 Teraflops GPU with 20GB of VRAM? Who actually needs a card like that? It's purely a luxury product.

An RX 6750 XT is going to do fine playing any game at reasonable setting for $375.
My problem is that they are starting to adopt the habits of nvidia, like calling what should be the 7800xt a 7900xt so they can charge $200 more for it. They are a business but because they are behind in mind share they need to earn good will in order to gain market share.

Look at how they completely turned their company around with their zen cpus, from almost bankrupt to outselling intel 2:1 because they offered way more performance for cheaper. Now they've started lagging in the price/perf and zen4 is basically selling like shit. All because they want to rip off customers like everyone else.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
My problem is that they are starting to adopt the habits of nvidia, like calling what should be the 7800xt a 7900xt so they can charge $200 more for it. They are a business but because they are behind in mind share they need to earn good will in order to gain market share.

Look at how they completely turned their company around with their zen cpus, from almost bankrupt to outselling intel 2:1 because they offered way more performance for cheaper. Now they've started lagging in the price/perf and zen4 is basically selling like shit. All because they want to rip off customers like everyone else.
They don't need to earn anything, they just need to sell the GPUs that they can produce to stay in the GPU businees. You make the assumption that AMD has a bunch of GPUs to sell besides those that are in the market, they don't. Right now everything goes against AMD on the GPU front and is extremely hard for them just to survive against NVidia.

Even in the event that AMD was to outright beat Nvidia in term of the quality of their products (like they did with Intel in the CPU front), it would take years for AMD to capitalize on it (to this day Intel still have pretty much double the market share).

NVidia pushed the definition of what a flagship GPU is and their price range and people bought it.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They don't need to earn anything, they just need to sell the GPUs that they can produce to stay in the GPU businees. You make the assumption that AMD has a bunch of GPUs to sell besides those that are in the market, they don't. Right now everything goes against AMD on the GPU front and is extremely hard for them just to survive against NVidia.

Even if AMD was to outright beat Nvidia like they did with Intel in the CPU front it would take years for AMD to capitalize on it, to this day Intel still have pretty much double the market share.
Right, because not 100% of the market has hardware turnover per year. Maybe 10-15%. So it would take like 5 years of selling 2:1 to take a majority of the market. That doesn't mean they should just give up and adopt the anti consumer practices of everyone else.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Right, because not 100% of the market has hardware turnover per year. Maybe 10-15%. So it would take like 5 years of selling 2:1 to take a majority of the market. That doesn't mean they should just give up and adopt the anti consumer practices of everyone else.
No. I'm talking annual sales. Even with a superior product in every possible way it would still take many years for supply chains and manufacturing capabilities to change to reflect that (and none of that is even an option, it's not like AMD is holding back). AMD strategy to just shadow NVidia when it comes to dedicated GPUs is likely the optimal strategy for them right now, APUs is probably where they have a shot at standing out.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No. I'm talking annual sales. Even with a superior product in every possible way it would still take many years for supply chains and manufacturing capabilities to change to reflect that (and none of that is even an option, it's not like AMD is holding back). AMD strategy to just shadow NVidia when it comes to dedicated GPUs is likely the optimal strategy for them right now, APUs is probably where they have a shot at standing out.
I don't understand what you mean by supply chains and manufacturing capabilities, they both buy wafers from tsmc and AMD is using a cheaper node than nvidia (5nm/6nm vs 4nm)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't understand what you mean by supply chains and manufacturing capabilities, they both buy wafers from tsmc and AMD is using a cheaper node than nvidia (5nm/6nm vs 4nm)
So you think AMD would be able to secure many times what they have for GPUs just to beat Nvidia? It's a miracle they are as competitive as they are with so little market share. You need to be a lot more realistic regarding what you expect AMD to pull off.

Most people begging AMD to be aggressive with pricing would then go and buy Nvidia gpus once they adjusted their price and blame it on AMD drivers, lack of DLSS or anything else they can think off to dismiss AMD, AMD is not stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So you think AMD would be able to secure many times what they have for GPUs just to beat Nvidia? It's a miracle they are as competitive as they are with so little market share. You need to be a lot more realistic regarding what you expect AMD to pull off.

Most people begging AMD to be aggressive with pricing would then go and buy Nvidia gpus once they adjusted their price and blame it on AMD drivers, lack of DLSS or anything else they can think off to dismiss AMD, AMD is not stupid.
I'm not asking them to outsell nvidia 2:1 lol. But look at the steam charts, basically no one is buying AMD despite rdna2 being a legitimately great value, simply because dudes with a $300 budget for a gpu think that a -60 class card will let them do raytracing (lmao). AMD are not broke bitches any more, they are making a lot of money (just check their financial reports, they are reporting pretty high margins). They can afford to take less margin to move more product. No game dev is going to seriously support their hardware until they get like 30% market share of DIY, they're at like 15-20% so they could easily manage it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I'm not asking them to outsell nvidia 2:1 lol. But look at the steam charts, basically no one is buying AMD despite rdna2 being a legitimately great value, simply because dudes with a $300 budget for a gpu think that a -60 class card will let them do raytracing (lmao). AMD are not broke bitches any more, they are making a lot of money (just check their financial reports, they are reporting pretty high margins). They can afford to take less margin to move more product. No game dev is going to seriously support their hardware until they get like 30% market share of DIY, they're at like 15-20% so they could easily manage it.
I'm looking forward to the RX 7600 XT, NVidia GPUs don't appeal to me as I always feel AMD provides better value. I like the extra VRAM that comes with AMD GPUs as well as the much better Linux support. I can life without DLSS and with worse RT performance (that I'l probably not even use anyway).

Going with AMD usually pays off in the long run. The biggest mistake AMD made recently was on the low-end segment by going with some weird limited lanes design, that was just really stupid. The RX 5500 XT and RX 6600 XT were pretty good value cards with 8GB of RAM both great for budget builds. The RX 6500 XT sucked.

I'll take a an RX 6600M with 8GB RAM over a mobile RTX 3060 with 6GB any day, too bad laptops with AMD gpus are much harder to find.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The 1080ti can be had for $200 of even less.

I'm not going to argue against the current prices, people do whatever they do.... I'm just not buying into it at this point. But if you are to buy into it, go used.