Videocardz: PC GPU shipments decline 38% YoY

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Oh, if you say that in some places, people will come with pitchforks for you.
It's really bizarre how some pc players really like to pretend you can get a console like experience on PC that will last the whole generation for the price of a console.

Absolutely. They remind me of high end smartphone buyers comparing them to entry level phones and saying "oh it's much better!". Of course it is, you paid 4 or 5 times the price, did you expect it to be worse?

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You could never get an experience that is comparable to that of consoles on a similar budget if you consider the whole rig, even before all the mining stuff.
During the ps4/xbo generation it was easy to do that. If we had dennard scaling in pc parts still we would be at the point where we could do it today, but again amd and nvidia are greedy as fuck.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
During the ps4/xbo generation it was easy to do that. If we had dennard scaling in pc parts still we would be at the point where we could do it today, but again amd and nvidia are greedy as fuck.
When the gen was 4 or 5 years old? Sure.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Right, time goes forward...

*edit* 6700xt is $300 on ebay right now, a 3700x is $100. You can build a comparable system specwise right now for about 6-700 from used parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Banana

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

*edit* 6700xt is $300 on ebay right now, a 3700x is $100. You can build a comparable system specwise right now for about 6-700 from used parts.
I always say this: PCs at console specs are not worth it. You go higher or buy a console. When a game is demanding on console, the PC with same specs will eat a brown shit.

• they're_right_you_know

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

600 or 700 is not 500

Reactions: EN250

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

I would not buy a used SSD, but to each his own.

A PC is not just a CPU + GPU combo.

and when used PS5s start to appear can we use these prices as comparison?

D

Deleted member 417

Why have a high end PC? there's no games for it that justify the price

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I just thought about it. He assumes that Ram+PSU+MB+case +Windows= $200 😔
Easily.
B450 motherboard $50 incl. shipping from ebay. 16gb ddr4-3200 $42 from newegg. Thermaltake 550w psu 80+ bronze $50 from newegg. Windows 10 pro $15 from key site. Used atx case $30 incl shipping from ebay.
600 or 700 is not 500
The problem is that the people who are willing to put $1000s+ per year into their hobby is a small minority and the ecosystem can't sustain itself off just those people. So we need low end and budget pc parts to get people who are willing to spend $600-1000 to buy an experience that is comparable to or slightly better than a console specwise just so they can stream their fortnite matches to their 5 follower twitch streams.
Problem?

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Not very surprising with crazy skyrocket gpu pricing.
To be hones, even 500$ is a lot just for a gpu and nowadays you would not get more than a mid or last gen mid for that price.
And state of pc ports/dx12 does not help the matters. It's also a reason I am getting new games for ps5

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
And HDD or Ssd
1tb gen 3 m.2 ssd $50 on amazon. This is just with 1 minute of searching. If I really wanted to go hardcore I could go looking on alibaba and get even better deals. I mean it's not that serious... pc parts get cheaper with time. It's inevitable.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
1tb gen 3 m.2 ssd $50 on amazon. This is just with 1 minute of searching. If I really wanted to go hardcore I could go looking on alibaba and get even better deals. I mean it's not that serious... pc parts get cheaper with time. It's inevitable.

Used or slow speed SSD compared to the one in the PS5. A comparable M2 SSD from not knock off brands starts at 70 to 80.

Edit: dollars is not my currency

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Used or slow speed SSD compared to the one in the PS5. A comparable M2 SSD from not knock off brands starts at 70 to 80.

Edit: dollars is not my currency
No games even use the full power of the ps5 ssd. And I'd argue that "comparable" does not mean exactly equal. Windows/directx in itself will mean the pc will need ~10% better specs to match performance in equally optimized games. The point is, people aren't really going to notice a 3-4s load time vs 1-2s in ps5, and the stuff that truly leverages p5 i/o will be exclusive to ps5 anyway.

The point isn't to say "haha my $600-700 pc can beat your $500 console" the point is to say "how much would a person need to spend to get a pc with roughly equivalent specs/performance to a ps5". Because idk if you've noticed but a lot of kids want pcs so they can have their own little youtube/twitch streams.

Reactions: Banana

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No games even use the full power of the ps5 ssd. And I'd argue that "comparable" does not mean exactly equal. Windows/directx in itself will mean the pc will need ~10% better specs to match performance in equally optimized games. The point is, people aren't really going to notice a 3-4s load time vs 1-2s in ps5, and the stuff that truly leverages p5 i/o will be exclusive to ps5 anyway.

The point isn't to say "haha my $600-700 pc can beat your $500 console" the point is to say "how much would a person need to spend to get a pc with roughly equivalent specs/performance to a ps5". Because idk if you've noticed but a lot of kids want pcs so they can have their own little youtube/twitch streams.

Yes, comparable doesn't mean equal. But the argument was that you can get a comparable PC to a console for a similar price, no? Well, you can't. That's the crux of the problem. From a value standpoint, the PS5 and Series X are better than any PC you can build.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Oh, if you say that in some places, people will come with pitchforks for you.
It's really bizarre how some pc players really like to pretend you can get a console like experience on PC that will last the whole generation for the price of a console.
Wait, people say that? That's ridiculous, unless the games stagnate and don't need higher/better components by gen's end. But I think we're past that era, if some of the latest games PC requirements are to go by.

Why not actually pimp the benefits of pc gaming? Like community mods and fixes etc.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yes, comparable doesn't mean equal. But the argument was that you can get a comparable PC to a console for a similar price, no? Well, you can't. That's the crux of the problem. From a value standpoint, the PS5 and Series X are better than any PC you can build.
not at all, I even bolded and highlighted my previous post for you. ICYMI:

So we need low end and budget pc parts to get people who are willing to spend $600-1000 to buy an experience that is comparable to or slightly better than a console specwise
There is no need to continue arguing against a PCMR strawman when I didn't even bring it up.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

There is no need to continue arguing against a PCMR strawman when I didn't even bring it up.

Sure you didn't, buddy. I'm just imagining things.

And I'm not sure what you mean by PCMR strawman.