Wave of Japanese tweeting about new bought Xbox. All biased Propaganda?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

more windows central propaganda. man, these guys make me laugh.

between this and yet another group therapy session from the guy with the dino crisis avatar on the front page of *that other site*, i had a good laugh with my cup of joe just now.

the *sales surge* of 2,000 units a week 😆 give me a break...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
this is one of the worst takes i've ever read, seriously how does Jez Corden look himself in the mirror after typing out this uninformed tripe? It's like he has no knowledge whatsoever of the japanese market.

Xbox actually took the top rating from Metacritic last year — the problem has always fallen on those attention-grabbing cinematic titles that Sony seems to have no issue publishing time and time again.

Forza and Flight Simulator both were often cited to me as some of the best Xbox games that were driving satisfaction for Xbox gamers in Japan, but lamentations about PlayStation-exclusive games like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us, and Horizon were fast and frequent as well.
You think gamers in japan are walking around boasting about MS taking the top publisher last year on metacritic, or flight simulator and forza's scores? I can't even... :ROFLMAO:

and still bringing up lost odyssey almost 15 years later. my god, i played that game when i was in highschool. 🤣 😆

Last edited:

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Microsoft software outsold Sony software in Japan last year. Comfortably so, even. We'll see how it goes this year.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
By 'Software' you mean Microsoft word, right?
Ironically, the second best selling SIE published game last year in Japan was... Minecraft for PS4.

sad donald trump GIF

24 Jun 2022
I mean, MS are willingly partnering with & paying Japanese Vtubers to advertise Xbox over there, so I'm not surprised it's seen some modest growth. The thing that irritates me is when some people act like this is the best Xbox has been doing in Japan or will be the best it's ever performed there.

Objectively that's just flat-out wrong because the 360 did much better in that territory than XBO yet we're supposed to pretend 360 never existed? Subjectively I don't think they'll be able to beat the amount of AAA Japanese support the 360 was able to garner in its time for at least the first half of that gen. Exclusives from Capcom (Lost Planet), Mistwalker, and lead platform preference for many Japanese 3P AAA games as well as having the better versions of Japanese multiplats in some instances (like VF5, at least until the PS3 got a better update)...

...truth is we're not seeing any movement like that for Xbox in Japanese support this gen. They're literally just mainly pushing for release parity of the bigger Japanese 3P games, but we'll see how much of that actually sticks around. If Soul Hackers 2 performs poorly on Xbox, for example, and the only means Sega/Atlus get those costs recouped is through a GamePass deal, then don't expect Souls Hackers 3 getting an Xbox version Day 1, when Atlus can take that time and polish up PS5 and PC versions instead, and maybe throw a Switch 2 version in there in Xbox's place (I'm still really surprised there's no Switch version for Soul Hackers 2 confirmed yet).

Something else that's irritating about this whole Xbox & Japan thing from certain people is they act like Sony's simply "given up" Japan. That's factually not true. They point to physical software sales as an indication but then fail to point that Xbox physical software sales in Japan are literally non-existent, so by that logic that should also be "troubling". Then they say that it doesn't matter because Series S is acting as the GamePass machine and, fair enough, but do they forget that PS+ exists, and it offers a lot of digital content as well? Do they forget that digital sales are still a thing in Japan, how do you think mobile games and PC games sell over there?

Just a lot of "convenient" things that get ignored in the conversation when it comes to PlayStation in Japan, just to prop up the appearance of Xbox in that region. Don't see why it's necessary. Xbox is seeing improvement in Japan and that's a good thing, but PS is doing very good in that region still and it'll do that much better once stock is consistently better. Even better still when bigger games appealing to that audience like FF and the such are available. There's no wild "danger" to PS in Japan and Xbox is still a very distant third.

But certain journalists, fanboys and content creators want a "PS is DOOMED in Japan!" narrative so badly, it's ridiculous.

In fact, Microsoft games sold the same amount as literally all the games on the PS5 combined. In Japan, the software situation looks really dire for Sony.

Something something digital sales.

Especially if the whole narrative about Xbox doing better in Japan is down to GamePass, I guess we pretend PS+, PS Store etc. do not exist?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Our first video "[Xbox Series X|S ] 20 Japanese Games You Can Play Only on Xbox! 20 Domestic Games [Exclusive]" is now available on YouTube! And from today, I will be active as "Takumishina", a Vtuber specializing in Xbox! Once again, thank you very much for your support!

microsoft created a new Vtuber/ anime waifu propaganda channel to push Xbox in japan.

so more credence to the whole twitter nonsense being confirmed bought and paid shilling.

get this, they're still pushing the same wave of middling one-and-done JRPGs from the xbox 360 era. what on earth is going on here?

Ridge Racer 6 was a 360 launch game, lost odyssey (2007), Blue Dragon (2006), Ninja Gaiden 2 (2008)...

this is just sad and ridiculous at this point.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Microsoft software outsold Sony software in Japan last year. Comfortably so, even. We'll see how it goes this year.
Only because of Minecraft. How about there other first party games ? How much did fh5 and halo infinite sell at retail in Japan?Psychonauts 2? I can tell they definitely didnt sell more than what Gt7 sold at retail in Japan

24 Jun 2022
I bet Sony disagrees. They can't be satisfied with the plummeting software sales.

And no, Playstation doesn't suddenly have a 90% digital sales ratio in Japan. The ratio likely didn't change compared to PS4.

Sony's digital ratio has increased overall vs. PS4, it's something around 80%. When you see sales of the games on the UK sales charts, those only account for a percentage of overall sales, no reason it's vastly different in Japan.

And again, if PS5 software sales are so bad in Japan (going by only the physical sales charts), and we're going to ignore PS Store, PS+ etc., then Xbox software sales must be catastrophic by comparison because virtually no Xbox Series software appears on the Famitsu charts. By that notion, system sales might not mean anything because what's to say most of those aren't just be distributed to other locations and sold there via scalping, especially Series X units? That's actually one of the theories people've ran with to describe PS5 hardware sales vs. software sales in Japan: most of them were just be bought for scalping.

If it's a ridiculous idea in the case of PS5, then that should also be a ridiculous explanation for describing Xbox Series hardware sales vs. software sales. Unless, again, someone decides to pivot to GamePass, at which point we're right back at the start because folks can't just pretend PS Store & PS+ don't exist in Japan and could have similar influence on buying habits for PS in Japan as GamePass does for Xbox in the same country.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony's digital ratio has increased overall vs. PS4, it's something around 80%. When you see sales of the games on the UK sales charts, those only account for a percentage of overall sales, no reason it's vastly different in Japan.

And again, if PS5 software sales are so bad in Japan (going by only the physical sales charts), and we're going to ignore PS Store, PS+ etc., then Xbox software sales must be catastrophic by comparison because virtually no Xbox Series software appears on the Famitsu charts. By that notion, system sales might not mean anything because what's to say most of those aren't just be distributed to other locations and sold there via scalping, especially Series X units? That's actually one of the theories people've ran with to describe PS5 hardware sales vs. software sales in Japan: most of them were just be bought for scalping.

If it's a ridiculous idea in the case of PS5, then that should also be a ridiculous explanation for describing Xbox Series hardware sales vs. software sales. Unless, again, someone decides to pivot to GamePass, at which point we're right back at the start because folks can't just pretend PS Store & PS+ don't exist in Japan and could have similar influence on buying habits for PS in Japan as GamePass does for Xbox in the same country.

Famitsu retail also doesn’t chart amazon sales. It really is just a small snapshot of software.

When you got 25+ million Nintendos on the market that all skew physical due to how nintendo price their games it makes sense that they are over represented on those charts.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Yep, just like a playstation game greatly outselling Halo on xbox.

Halo Infinite will never be as big as Destiny 2

Isn't Halo Infinite free to play? How does it factor into a conversation about sales? I'm thinking number of downloads, but maybe there's another criteria everyone is using.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
it does appear that microsoft is sending free series S units to japanese influencers and social media personalities. but then again they do that everywhere.

sometimes as many as 7 free xbox consoles per influencer. SEVEN. 🤯

I totally forgot about this video, damn that was so shameful and just shows the state of the industry.

24 Jun 2022
Famitsu retail also doesn’t chart amazon sales. It really is just a small snapshot of software.

When you got 25+ million Nintendos on the market that all skew physical due to how nintendo price their games it makes sense that they are over represented on those charts.

Lol I didn't even know they don't count Amazon sales. Wonder if NPD includes Amazon sales, either. We know they don't include certain types of bundles (that's why HFW didn't chart as high as it could've in June on NPD).

Speaking of Nintendo, considering their games stay pretty high-priced their whole lifetime, and they've done some pretty straightfoward ports of Wii U games to the Switch and kept them full-priced with changes about in line (or in some cases less) than Sony with TLOU Remake, the whole thing some people have over it being $70 is absurd. No one's being forced to buy it, the remake has its audience, and it seems to be doing pretty well right now in pre-orders looking at how some editions sold out in minutes.

Isn't Halo Infinite free to play? How does it factor into a conversation about sales? I'm thinking number of downloads, but maybe there's another criteria everyone is using.

I think they're just referring to the outright sales for those games and that they don't necessarily chart on NPD outside of opening month, or even on the Xbox Top 10 charts after that, particularly Halo Infinite.

It refutes the idea that GamePass boosts game sales as a whole. Some smaller games definitely do see big sales spikes thanks to GamePass, but that same pattern hasn't really held true for MS 1P games that go Day 1 into the service.

For example, Halo Infinite's sales numbers are less than MCC's at this point in that game's lifecycle. Part of that can probably be blamed on just what type of state Halo Infinite's in, maybe it's due to being in GamePass Day 1. Point is, Day 1 in GamePass didn't lead to a growth in retail sales compared to prior versions.

Not that copies sold means everything; actual revenue (especially for live-service games) comes from MTX and DLC mostly, Halo Infinite's probably doing "decent" in that area. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's doing a lot less than projected, either. There's barely been any decent flow of content, features are still missing, and there are technical problems still not patched.