Wave of Japanese tweeting about new bought Xbox. All biased Propaganda?

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Sony's digital ratio has increased overall vs. PS4, it's something around 80%. When you see sales of the games on the UK sales charts, those only account for a percentage of overall sales, no reason it's vastly different in Japan.

And again, if PS5 software sales are so bad in Japan (going by only the physical sales charts), and we're going to ignore PS Store, PS+ etc., then Xbox software sales must be catastrophic by comparison because virtually no Xbox Series software appears on the Famitsu charts. By that notion, system sales might not mean anything because what's to say most of those aren't just be distributed to other locations and sold there via scalping, especially Series X units? That's actually one of the theories people've ran with to describe PS5 hardware sales vs. software sales in Japan: most of them were just be bought for scalping.

If it's a ridiculous idea in the case of PS5, then that should also be a ridiculous explanation for describing Xbox Series hardware sales vs. software sales. Unless, again, someone decides to pivot to GamePass, at which point we're right back at the start because folks can't just pretend PS Store & PS+ don't exist in Japan and could have similar influence on buying habits for PS in Japan as GamePass does for Xbox in the same country.
Japan still skews physical, and Playstation 1st party games skew even more physical (as we know from UK). I don't buy that digital sales are somehow magically saving the statistics for Sony. Even if we assume 50% digital, the entirety of Sony first party sales was still below Microsoft (since Minecraft also has approximately 30% digital sales on Switch).

Btw, 60% of Xbox Series consoles in Japan are digital only. Only 15% of PS5 consoles are.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
MS is doing what last place companies do... whatever they have to to get their products into people's hands.

It's an uphill battle and if MS want to gain ground, they gotta play dirty.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Is not propaganda, what ridiculous thing to say.

Is just people genuinely tweeting how happy they are to be part of the best ecosystem and the best value on the biz, thank to Game Pass (discover your Next Favourite Game).

#Xbox #PhillMyDaddy #GamePass #NOTSponsored #PlaystationSucks.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Even if we assume 50% digital, the entirety of Sony first party sales was still below Microsoft (since Minecraft also has approximately 30% digital sales on Switch).
So what? You think this is some kind of victory for Xbox in Japan? Nobody buys a Xbox in Japan to play Minecraft on it and Switch users don't associate Minecraft with Xbox. 100% irrelevant.

You can drop that fake victory here. No one is impressed by your BS numbers.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Why would the Series appeal to anyone in Japan? It got nothing going on for it, specially now that PS+ Extra exists. All the explanations people came up with so far make no sense to, I think the higher than expected interest comes simple from the lack of PS5 stock.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I still don't understand how MS thinks it's worth to waste their time with Japan when even Sony can't be bothered. Is that a reflection of how desperate Xbox is for new markets? Why not send those Series consoles to markets like the UK or US where they maybe still have a change to build a lead over Sony and the get some momentum from there?

When the stock problems are solved these Japanese consoles won't even be active anymore and Xbox in Japan will die it's natural death. These are probably people that are desperate for a console to run games that are not in the Switch but PlayStation consoles are all sold out.
Not sure about the USA, but in the uk xbox series x and s supply has overtaken demand. Not saying demand isn't there, just they are supplying the UK well enough.

24 Jun 2022
Japan still skews physical, and Playstation 1st party games skew even more physical (as we know from UK). I don't buy that digital sales are somehow magically saving the statistics for Sony. Even if we assume 50% digital, the entirety of Sony first party sales was still below Microsoft (since Minecraft also has approximately 30% digital sales on Switch).

Btw, 60% of Xbox Series consoles in Japan are digital only. Only 15% of PS5 consoles are.

At the end of the day, you and I are just shooting in the dark in trying to say if PS5 software sales are or aren't truly low, because we don't know the percentage of digital to physical there for the platform. Just because most PS5's sold there are physical, does not directly correlate to software sales skewing digital; digital attach ratio in places where PS5 disc systems are very high like here in the U.S or the UK have also been skewing digital over time hence the figures Sony shared in their last report.

Even supposing PS5 software sales are just genuinely bad in Japan, that probably doesn't tell us too much about the platform overall there since, again, Series software sales in the same region are even worst, if just going by Famitsu charts. Also as @Remember_Spinal mentioned, Japan charts don't count sales from places like Amazon, and there are several pricing practices Nintendo does (not to mention the fact digital releases for their platform is just nowhere near as possible as with Sony & Microsoft) that helps them dominate the Famitsu sales charts the way they do.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

We can't extrapolate anything significant from UK's numbers, Sony's Digital sales have exploded since 2014/2015 when PS4 was brand new.

Did you know in FY2021 only 20% of PS4's game sales were physical and 80% were digital sales (It was 80% physical in FY 2013 and 20% digital in the exact opposite) and every PS4 has a disc reader
look at slide 14
It's not crazy to think PS5 would be a the same if not higher since there is a digital version of the PS5

and Just because someone buys the disc version of the PS5 doesn't mean they don't buy digital games as well

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
At the end of the day, you and I are just shooting in the dark in trying to say if PS5 software sales are or aren't truly low, because we don't know the percentage of digital to physical there for the platform. Just because most PS5's sold there are physical, does not directly correlate to software sales skewing digital; digital attach ratio in places where PS5 disc systems are very high like here in the U.S or the UK have also been skewing digital over time hence the figures Sony shared in their last report.

Even supposing PS5 software sales are just genuinely bad in Japan, that probably doesn't tell us too much about the platform overall there since, again, Series software sales in the same region are even worst, if just going by Famitsu charts. Also as @Remember_Spinal mentioned, Japan charts don't count sales from places like Amazon, and there are several pricing practices Nintendo does (not to mention the fact digital releases for their platform is just nowhere near as possible as with Sony & Microsoft) that helps them dominate the Famitsu sales charts the way they do.
look at slide 14
80% of PS4's game sales are digital in Fiscal year 2021 and 20% are physical (a complete reversal of 2013's Fiscal year)
The PS5's digital game sales are most likely higher due to the fact there is a digital edition of the PS5 while all PS4's have a disc reader!

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah I know Microsoft is seeing no horizon against Sony in Japan. As I know Sony is close on reaching two million PS5 consoles in Japan. I am just curious why all this Japanese Xbox tweets recently pooping up at Twitter and why there writing negatively against PS...
It must be some kind of "grass roots" social media campaign MS is working on.

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
Hi there,

recently for more than 5 months, I could observe literally a flood of Japanese people tweeting about how they finally got a Xbox Series console and mostly tagged it with Jump-IN.

What important is to tell you, is that many of them side blow at Playstation in their tweets. This seems like a intended propaganda from Microsoft to me. Of course I have no proof, so it's just pure speculation. Even the likes of Genki did question this and never observed such a strange occurrence like that. Not even to the Xbox 360 times. It's seems really odd to me. So what do you think about in general?
I wouldn't believe anything coming out of Twitter; IF those happen to be real persons (which I doubt), then money changed hands too. Any way you look at it, nothing to lose sleep over.

Mobile Suit Gooch

21 Jun 2022
Scarlet Nexus sold like under 1K on Xbox over there so even Japanese gamers on Xbox don't play Japanese games.

Also, I don't get the obsession with the Japanese gaming market.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Scarlet Nexus sold like under 1K on Xbox over there so even Japanese gamers on Xbox don't play Japanese games.

Also, I don't get the obsession with the Japanese gaming market.
The only obsession is coming from the green folks, thinking that Microsoft would ever have a real chance of stepping in Sony‘s home door…

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
look at slide 14
80% of PS4's game sales are digital in Fiscal year 2021 and 20% are physical (a complete reversal of 2013's Fiscal year)
The PS5's digital game sales are most likely higher due to the fact there is a digital edition of the PS5 while all PS4's have a disc reader!
Again, Sony 1st party games skew physical. In the UK, 50% of Horizon sales at release were physical, for example. This effect will be even bigger in Japan, where people still prefer physical, at least compared to your average western country. Comparisons to a PS4 in its 8th year, where everyone left on the platform is only buying GTA, CoD and FIFA (preferably digital), are not valid.

Reactions: DarkMage619

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Again, Sony 1st party games skew physical. In the UK, 50% of Horizon sales at release were physical, for example. This effect will be even bigger in Japan, where people still prefer physical, at least compared to your average western country. Comparisons to a PS4 in its 8th year, where everyone left on the platform is only buying GTA, CoD and FIFA (preferably digital), are not valid.
this has to be a case of you getting high off your own shit. Just because only 49% of sales In The UK were digital at release for PS5 does not mean it is still at 49%
There has been 5 months since the release of horizon
and were do we know for a fact Japan skews more physical?
Just because Nintendo sells some games like Splatoon 2 with an option to buy a digital code in a physical case to help games chart more and to offset some cost from Switch carts does not mean we know Japan skews more physical.
People use to think in 2016 that The video game market for consoles was gonna be dead by now because on NPD the market looked like it was shrinking when in fact when they started including digital sales you could see it was about the same as the 7th gen when PS3/360/and Wii were in their peak!
It wouldn't surprise me if Still more than 50% of people in japan who bought games decided to pick up physical copies but without digital sales included we can't say we know the whole picture!

and lastly the point you try to make at the end of comparing the PS4 in its 8th year are invalid also forgets that games like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, GOW 2018, Spider-Man 2018/Miles Morales were still selling on in PS4's 8th year or they wouldn't post all these sales updates on these games but I'm sure you'll find some reason why that doesn't count!

Reactions: KiryuRealty

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
and lastly the point you try to make at the end of comparing the PS4 in its 8th year are invalid also forgets that games like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, GOW 2018, Spider-Man 2018/Miles Morales were still selling on in PS4's 8th year or they wouldn't post all these sales updates on these games but I'm sure you'll find some reason why that doesn't count!
Something like only 12% of total software sales on Playstation were 1st party in 2021, so that's why I left them out. Of course they count, but they don't have much impact on the stats.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
> microshit finally make a good product
Seems like you fell for the propaganda, what's so good about the Series consoles? They couldn't even bother with making games for their "good product" and their flagship feature Gamepass has already been copied and surpassed with ease by their competitor.

Same old MS and you guys trying to gas light people into thinking there is some massive change in the console market.

Just the fact that we are having to go to the Japanese market to find something positive to spin in favor of Xbox says it all.