Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Steam numbers won’t go up much. Anyone else that jumped on today for pc is on windows gamespass and not steam, which everyone likes to ignore to suit their flawed sales comparisons. Sales discussion for Starfield is moot. Its purpose is to sell $12 subs. We won’t ever see windows player stat tho.
What about all the people that said it would rival Cyberpunk? Then it was supposed to beat Elden Ring and Hogwarts. BG3 came out and the first thing people said was BG3 will keep the record until Starfield.

Even last week there was a poll on Era and people were voting between 800k-1 million. You had many posters saying 250k in Early Access? Wow just you wait for the official release it will blow up everywhere.

We are not ignoring Game Pass, we knew it was going to be Day 1 on GP for over 2 years. Everyone that did those predictions knew it was on GP. The 1 million conccurent was always the target regardless of GP.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Reached 269k today. Still lower than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at 287k, and Fallout 4 at 472k. The review score keeps dropping. Into the 70s (79) now, after beginning at almost 90% on release. Numbers in about 8h will be interesting to see if they drop lower than they were yesterday once the peak subsided.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The 1 million concurrent they were so sure of getting is so far away, I am confident to call this game a huge fucking flop on PC/Steam.

Is it even going to reach 5 millions sales by the end of the year?

What about all the people that said it would rival Cyberpunk? Then it was supposed to beat Elden Ring and Hogwarts. BG3 came out and the first thing people said was BG3 will keep the record until Starfield.

Even last week there was a poll on Era and people were voting between 800k-1 million. You had many posters saying 250k in Early Access? Wow just you wait for the official release it will blow up everywhere.

We are not ignoring Game Pass, we knew it was going to be Day 1 on GP for over 2 years. Everyone that did those predictions knew it was on GP. The 1 million conccurent was always the target regardless of GP.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Gamepass players will be where the vast majority of the casual playerbase is on either console or pc. There’s no reason to expect steam numbers to go much higher than this. Only few games trend upwards in their concurrent day after day post launch. To expect more people to pay $70-100 when it’s available for $12 on the game owner’s storefronts and bottom line subscription service is foolish. That’s not what happened with any other tentpole gamepass release ever. Software sales for MS 1st party are dead due to gamepass. So in other words, we aren’t going to know a total concurrent across platforms unless Bethesda decides to say so … 😑

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Nah, it’s just that the 7s are living rent free in their heads and on the last few pages, some people simply decide to come clean and shit on the game 😂

A few hours in, and man this game is disjointed. The joy and wonder of Oblivion and Skyrim was the exploration. See a mountain, go trek to it and have an adventure on the way. It's about the journey not the destination.

Not here, everything is in compartments. Travel isn't organic. There is no journey. I still don't see the point of the ship or space travel.

After 2+ years of PS5 and XSX eradicating loading, the sheer number of loading screen and and tiny areas per load is jarring to say the least. Find a cave, loading. See a building, loading, then more loading inside.

It feels like a 360 game pushed to its limits, rather than the modern, showcase game for Bethesda and XSX I was hoping for.

7/10 scores seem generous.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
The 1 million concurrent they were so sure of getting is so far away, I am confident to call this game a huge fucking flop on PC/Steam.

If that is the case, you gonna see Sony and SE laughin their way to the bank.

I doubt 16 costs SE that much to make, probably under 10 billion yen for sure.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Hoping that @Crow can give us his thoughts on the game soon considering we have had a few in depth comments from those playing it. He's been quite positive so looking forward to all the fine details.
I am afraid @Crow is unavailable at present, he is picking up his suit for ResetEra's GOTY Awards.

Suit Madea GIF by BET Plus

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Gamepass players will be where the vast majority of the casual playerbase is on either console or pc. There’s no reason to expect steam numbers to go much higher than this. Only few games trend upwards in their concurrent day after day post launch. To expect more people to pay $70-100 when it’s available for $12 on the game owner’s storefronts and bottom line subscription service is foolish. That’s not what happened with any other tentpole gamepass release ever. Software sales for MS 1st party are dead due to gamepass. So in other words, we aren’t going to know a total concurrent across platforms unless Bethesda decides to say so … 😑
If steam numbers don't go up that would be a diastaser.

I find it hard to believe all those people subbing to gamepass for it will stick around. Ms have fuck all coming after forza that is big enough to keep people subbing.

Also 3 months of gamepass can be had for cheaper then starfield standalone price. So someone could get a 3 months sub, play it and unsub and ms would make much less from that person.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What do you guys think is a reasonable number for stsrfield concurrent numbers? I’d say anything under 400k is probably a monumental flop but idk what ms/Bethesda are expecting.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023

The 269k latest peak is only ~15% up from the early access peak. That is pretty dire. Nearly everyone who wanted to play clearly already bought it, and a good deal have refunded. Interestingly just checking the Steam reviews, many of the positive ones are short, but there are quite a few really long negatives (at least on the front page without clicking in anywhere). I think that's indicative of the general problem: everyone positive on the game likes it for superfluous reasons "no other game is like it!", "it's a Bethesda game!", "I'm doing so much!" but negative comments actually go into depth on the problems.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If that is the case, you gonna see Sony and SE laughin their way to the bank.

I doubt 16 costs SE that much to make, probably under 10 billion yen for sure.
I don’t know in yen but the director said it was high… estimates put it mininum $150m.

For example Forspoken that not got the same budget costed SE $100m.

BTW.

Yoshida-san: At the end of the day, isn’t the most challenging thing about making the latest instalment in the FINAL FANTASY series in this day and age… money? (laughs)

Yeah, it’s probably the development costs (laughs).

Minagawa-san: Well, I tried not to think about it (laughs). It was too scary!

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
It's interesting that a lot of people are claiming the game is good because, paraphrasing here, "it does so much more than any other game". But then they'll say No Man's Sky, which does more than Starfield, isn't good because of the RPG mechanics being "better" in Starfield. Okay, the RPG mechanics in BG3 are better than Starfield, so the game must be bad right? They don't have a straight argument here because there isn't a way to defend the totality of the game in a single stroke.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If steam numbers don't go up that would be a diastaser.

I find it hard to believe all those people subbing to gamepass for it will stick around. Ms have fuck all coming after forza that is big enough to keep people subbing.

Also 3 months of gamepass can be had for cheaper then starfield standalone price. So someone could get a 3 months sub, play it and unsub and ms would make much less from that person.
Yeah tht gamepass excuse in itself is flawed. Ppl tht want a game like this will only sub for a month then subs will tank so tht arguments is still fallacious. Microsoft will still not see the growth they are looking for. Now in five months or so we see Microsoft say ganepas grew exponentially blah blah we will know it had an impact. I bought gamepass one month in my life lol to to play the new Gears, years later never subbed again :)

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's interesting that a lot of people are claiming the game is good because, paraphrasing here, "it does so much more than any other game". But then they'll say No Man's Sky, which does more than Starfield, isn't good because of the RPG mechanics being "better" in Starfield. Okay, the RPG mechanics in BG3 are better than Starfield, so the game must be bad right? They don't have a straight argument here because there isn't a way to defend the totality of the game in a single stroke.
Yeah it Flys you in a loading screen every fucking you need to do something major, this game would give me anxiety and a seizure.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We have a gazillion similar Starfield threads, maybe it would be a good idea to merge some of them.

I highly doubt that there may be any 'massive' refunds. Around 80% of positive reviews after maybe around 800K units sold in Steam is pretty good. It's too early, specially considering it's a long SP game I assume many people will take their time to make their review, specially the positive ones.

I think the reviews may end in the mid eighties.

Last edited:

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
We have a gazillion similar Starfield threads, maybe it would be a good idea to merge some of them.

I highly doubt that there may be any 'massive' refunds. Around 80% of positive reviews is pretty good.
Go check the steam support statistics here. See that massive speak on the 1st? Nobody can verify it, but good chance a lot of people refunded Starfield based on that. It's an almost 50% increase from the averages on each side. Would also explain low steam CCUs now, with little growth from early access period, since a large number of players likely refunded it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Go check the steam support statistics here. See that massive speak on the 1st? Nobody can verify it, but good chance a lot of people refunded Starfield based on that. It's an almost 50% increase from the averages on each side. Would also explain low steam CCUs now, with little growth from early access period, since a large number of players likely refunded it.
image.png
The CCUs make ups and downs depending on the hour of the day, as usual, and will slowly go down after a few days after launch. It had its peak some hours ago, normal for a launch. It may have a higher peak during the weekend, and should go down from that.

Also, I thought Starfield was released September 6th, I don't see why that small September 1st peak should be related to Starfield. I think early access should be handled differently regarding reviews etc.

Last edited: