Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
could you add a direct link to that pretty please
In this page click Review.

But it is 3.6 now with 4000 reviews.

Edit - It is actually split by region... 3.6 in US... 4.0 in Brazil... so that 2.5 is OP country.

Reactions: Sircaw

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Two possible outcomes then:
  1. The game doesn't make much money because nobody is buying it. A majority of the players are on Game Pass, but it's not profitable since $18 a month for Starfield is less than $70 on release. It's selling less on console than FO4 considering Xbox removed 2/3 of BGSs customer base, and the Steam numbers are half that of FO4 on release.
  2. The game severely underperformed in sales. To quote Gods&Monsters post: "Even last week there was a poll on Era and people were voting between 800k-1 million. You had many posters saying 250k in Early Access? Wow just you wait for the official release it will blow up everywhere. We are not ignoring Game Pass, we knew it was going to be Day 1 on GP for over 2 years. Everyone that did those predictions knew it was on GP. The 1 million conccurent was always the target regardless of GP." So estimated CCUs were 3-4x as much as what we got.
I don't know what positive outcome there is here. We either believe it has a heap of players, that we can't quantify, who are playing for cheap, or it has far less players than previous BGS games.
CCUs are an awful KPI to estimate Steam sales. User reviews are a better source, but need a few days. Looking at user reviews, they sold around 800K units on Steam. The game will continue selling for years, specially during big discounts and bundles, as happened with previous big Bethesda games.

But sales obviously will be way smaller than these previous games due to GP. The revenue from GP won't compensate these lost sales. And to don't sell it on PS will only mean a ton of revenue thrown to the garbage bin, because won't increase Xbox sales.

MS will try to compensate it with loads of DLC making this game a GaaS, but won't compensate it. And they knew it, this is a suicidal strategy. And this is their flagship game, sales from other games like Contraband, Hellblade 2, Fable and so on, in whatever year they get released, will be way worse.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
In this page click Review.

But it is 3.6 now with 4000 reviews.

Edit - It is actually split by region... 3.6 in US... 4.0 in Brazil... so that 2.5 is OP country.
No the 2.5, now at 2.7 is only viewable through the Gamepass PC app. That link takes you to where console players can also rate.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No the 2.5, now at 2.7 is only viewable through the Gamepass PC app. That link takes you to where console players can also rate.
Ohhhhh... got it.

But the site is region split for example...

US shows 3.6 from 4000 reviews.

Brazil shows 4.0 from 811 reviews.

UK shows 3.5 from 1000 reviews.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
is that right? ot that score was photoshoped?
It is not photoshoped...

You can see on Steam too but it is a big hard and it is rounded... you need to pass the mouse over the "Very positive".

Edit - Better picture... just take in mind that the first Very Positive is region filtered so 19987 reviews from US... the second "Very Positive" is after I changed the filter to All Languages so it now shows the worldwide average like SteamDB with 32783 reviews.

image-2023-09-06-220842283.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ChorizoPicozo

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
What was Elden ring and and Hogwarts legacy day one? Does steam have a way to track total sales or do people kind of go off of how many consecutive players are on a time to get a feel for how much a game sold?

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
CCUs are an awful KPI to estimate Steam sales. User reviews are a better source, but need a few days. Looking at user reviews, they sold around 800K units on Steam. The game will continue selling for years, specially during big discounts and bundles, as happened with previous big Bethesda games.

But sales obviously will be way smaller than these previous games due to GP. The revenue from GP won't compensate these lost sales. And to don't sell it on PS will only mean a ton of revenue thrown to the garbage bin, because won't increase Xbox sales.

MS will try to compensate it with loads of DLC making this game a GaaS, but won't compensate it. And they knew it, this is a suicidal strategy. And this is their flagship game, sales from other games like Contraband, Hellblade 2, Fable and so on, in whatever year they get released, will be way worse.
So on the one hand, you're suggesting the low CCUs are from people playing it on Game Pass. One the other, you're saying the steam reviews will demonstrate good sales on Steam. I think it is largely contradictory. Yes, CCUs =! sales, but nobody is suggesting that. I am saying that the low CCUs indicate smaller sales than previous BGS titles which had larger CCUs. I don't see how the game can simultaneously have sold well, while having fewer players than other games. The CCUs of other successful games, most recently BG3, show the difference. BG3 has more players than Starfield's release despite it having come out weeks ago. Where are the players? If they are on Game Pass, they're not paying, so sales must be lower. If they're not on Game Pass, they're nonexistant and the game will perform weaker than previous titles.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You guys have so many threads going about Starfield. Why not condense the threads. This forum has turned into "Hate Starfield" forum. Carry on.
I agree, we should get a pinned post and merge all the Starfield discussions. It's gotten a little out of hand

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What was Elden ring and and Hogwarts legacy day one? Does steam have a way to track total sales or do people kind of go off of how many consecutive players are on a time to get a feel for how much a game sold?
Just search for any game on the website I gave you and click on charts.

Elden Ring was 953k and Hogwarts 879k. Baldurs Gate 3 at 875k.

People make weird sales estimates based on CCU and amount of steam reviews. It's not that accurate but it's the best we've got 🤷

Arc

5 Sep 2023
To the poll, I thought it was interesting to think of BG3 actually coming in on top of Starfield. That would be quite a crazy upset if it happens, and BG3 has done well enough, as far as I know, to make it a possibility.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
489k for hogwarts

elden ring
952k+ Day 2

Starfield is being absolutely slaughtered when it comes to CCU, those $100 dollar pre order copies is probably the highest revenue the game will see

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
There is a lot of cope on other forums about the numbers. E.g.:

User1: Surprised the steam numbers barely jumped given the full release today. We’ll see if they jump this weekend. Really thought this would put up massive numbers like we saw out of BG3 and Hogwarts this year. Possible that a lot of people are playing this on gamepass pc though.
User 2: 100% it's gamepass. That's where I'm playing, and I normally would vastly prefer to play everything on Steam.​
Again, if everyone is on Game Pass, who is paying full price? How are they making the $400m budget back?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
489k for hogwarts

elden ring
952k+ Day 2

Starfield is being absolutely slaughtered when it comes to CCU, those $100 dollar pre order copies is probably the highest revenue the game will see
Hogwarts was lower because there was 3 days early access but then it doubled on release. Starfield barely moved 😬

Reactions: Dabaus and nongkris

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
To the poll, I thought it was interesting to think of BG3 actually coming in on top of Starfield. That would be quite a crazy upset if it happens, and BG3 has done well enough, as far as I know, to make it a possibility.
BG3 will 100% be GOTY. The only reason I imagine it wouldn't get this are industry people being upset that the game made them look like fools.